Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Vetoed, not nearly punny enough for my tastes.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Nemo wrote:THE KNIGHTS OF NI
Fixed.
Got you a banner image too.

Get yer own damn shrubbery.
Last edited by Icarus on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

nemo you fucking cock only ONE team gets to have multiple names
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Sorry I dropped out unnannouced, I just don't have time right now to put a bunch of time into games. I'm working on a pretty exciting project that's taking most of my time.
"The art director is always listed as the art director in their games. The programmer is always listed as the programmer."
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

This is it.

This is here.

This is now.

This ends all.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=11093
Cave Week. The Shooting Game Tournament 2006 Final Battle!!

A time extension to vote for once. Make it count.
CIT

Post by CIT »

How about next Shooting Game Tournament we make a rule that people only post their votes in the voting thread.

That would...

a) ...make it a hell of a lot easier for the tourney organizers to count the votes.

b) ...make it easier for everybody to keep track of the vote and see how it is progressing.

As it is, this week's voting thread is complete spam-chaos (more so than in any other week - although maybe it's to be expected with Cave). I think that's what sven666 was trying to get at, as well.
Spazicon
Location: Half of me is in space, other half crashed on Earth

Post by Spazicon »

I'm interested in joinin'. Am I too late?
Pew Pew.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Spazicon wrote:I'm interested in joinin'. Am I too late?
Waaaaaay too late I'm afraid. We're about to have the final week.
Spazicon

Post by Spazicon »

Ahh. Gotcha. Next time I suppose. Have fun people.
Pew Pew.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

I think he's talking about the next tourney. I'm guessing that will be Nemo's comp, if he's still doing it, or Danny's come New Year's time.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Spazicon wrote:Ahh. Gotcha. Next time I suppose. Have fun people.
There might be one or two more in the pipeline. I suggest you keep an eye on the main forum and high scores forum as they are being planned by various members.

Here's one with a bit more info.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=10983

You're too late for this particular one, its been running since summer and is about to hit the final week. Sit back and watch the fireworks fly. ^_-
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Or, if you are so inclined, you can just shadow the tournament like I am. By that I mean play the weekly games to death, except you don't get the satisfaction of posting your score on the comp thread. :wink:
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Spazicon

Post by Spazicon »

Pirate1019 wrote:Or, if you are so inclined, you can just shadow the tournament like I am. By that I mean play the weekly games to death, except you don't get the satisfaction of posting your score on the comp thread. :wink:
Haha, I'll keep that in mind. =P
Pew Pew.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

CIT wrote:How about next Shooting Game Tournament we make a rule that people only post their votes in the voting thread.
:lol: I was wondering if this would come up. Here sir, is what I think:
CIT wrote:a) ...make it a hell of a lot easier for the tourney organizers to count the votes.
Yes...yes it would. But as it stands, it is my problem and my problem alone. I was thinking of trying to regulate this, but enough of the chatter is interesting enough to not be so rash about it. One of the concerns also is for people to strategize their votes. People are not really supposed to know the exact tallies during the vote as to promote not voting only to counter another's vote. With the chatter around, this makes it harder for the people to obtain that tally. But since anchor Robbie Quaid of the Feka News Team has been reporting live, my silly ideal has gone to waste somewhat. At least he reports it in a way that becomes inaccurate again by the next page.

CIT wrote:b) ...make it easier for everybody to keep track of the vote and see how it is progressing.

As it is, this week's voting thread is complete spam-chaos (more so than in any other week - although maybe it's to be expected with Cave). I think that's what sven666 was trying to get at, as well.
Like said, nobody's really supposed to know exactly what is going to win until the end unless it's obvious. But as there are people stopping that, besides looking for a key post with the numbers up front, there's not real reason for people to be sorting through the spam chaos....and a list of 5 short lines is easy to spot. The vote thread is there for casting and then I deal with it. Anything extra people wanna research..well..that's their problem. It's not worth them complaining about not being able to tally what I didn't want them tallying in the first place. My allowing the spam is serving its purpose, to an extent. Drama is a bi-product though.

I just get pissed when people are mad about what other people are picking (or going to pick) and suddenly "It's the system's fault." So much passion all'y'yall have with the Cave games. It's like a nasty drug a third of the forum has their withdraws on if they can't get things exactly how they want them. :lol: 'Been usin' the same vote method since week 2 and only on week 6 do the complaints on the system begin. Hilarious.

Anyway, maybe I let a bad precedent set by not cracking down on the uber-trolling for next year. We dunno who's runnin' what parts and who will be around. I really wanted all the fundamental reglations to be tested and sorted out by the end of this thing so next year isn't maxed-out with complaints all over again because we've established we know what we're doing. *sigh*...

We have a lot to discuss after this STGT ends...and I too sincerely hope the STGT can get off the ground as an annual event.
Rob

Post by Rob »

DJ Incompetent wrote:But since anchor Robbie Quaid of the Feka News Team has been reporting live,
I did it the second time for the spam complaint. Little did I know I was serving a greater purpose.

No doubt the remaining team(s) have their own tallies. The thread's not that big anyways.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

agreed. It isn't that important. The vote was interesting as predicted. Meh, ya made my job easier anyway. Good times, guy 8)
Guts

Post by Guts »

Sorry to the Team Loser for my poor contribution. I really didn't have the time to play :oops: :cry:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, s'alright, we'll see more of you next year I'm sure. :)
Guts

Post by Guts »

Thanks for your comprehension :D
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

i dont think that guwange was a very good choice for this week.it has a very strange gameplay and as you see not very many people participate.you can see whos already winning and it would be better to choose a game which is "more playable"

thx for translation Plasmo
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm sure the participation will increase to 50 by the end.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Rob wrote:I'm sure the participation will increase to 50 by the end.
50 or little more is not good for a Caveweek,but we will see.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Let's see if anyone hits 20mil by the end of the week.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I, for one, LOL at any Cave (or shooter) fan who can't stand Guwange.

If I had the good sense to tackle this great game before last Thursday I'd hit 20 million, but not going to happen this time. I feel the same regret about APB week, but at least the STGT finally has me playing them.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

its nice to see that maybe one or two of you can get 20mill scores but it would be much better if all of us, or at least more than now, would enjoy the game.Im quite sure many other players think the same and cant really enjoy the game
Rob

Post by Rob »

Do you not get the scoring system or just don't like it? What did you vote for/prefer?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Guwange isn't a particularly difficult game to get into. All you need to do is watch the ingame rolling demonstrations to get an idea of how the game is basically played, and chaining is far more forgiving than any of the *pachi games, because you're able to stall the chain meter by trapping bullets.

The rest of the game is about maintaining your chain and doing something productive with it. This game is very open with regards to strategy, you just need the skills.

The "20mil" comment is a little dig at the Cave experts on the forum. Given that the majority of them haven't even got close to 15mil yet, and 19mil is the forum's long-standing record held by Mode7. ^_-

(And I'll be breaking that record if not this week, then the following week. *rubs hands in anticipation*)
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Rob wrote:Do you not get the scoring system or just don't like it? What did you vote for/prefer?
My Problem is not the Scoresystem or the Game.My Problem is my flickering Monitor and not enough Time.But i saw that are not many players plays Guwange.
Last edited by PlasmaBlooD on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

PlasmaBlooD wrote:My Problem is not the Scoresystem or the Game. My Problem is my flickering Monitor and not enough Time. But i saw that are not many players plays Guwange.
Well it has been the case with most of the weeks, a lot of players prefer to post later in the week when they have a more substantial score to post. Plus people are busy usually with work, study and whatnot.

I'd expect the scoreboard to increase a bit more tomorrow.
PlasmaBlooD wrote:its nice to see that maybe one or two of you can get 20mill scores but it would be much better if all of us, or at least more than now, would enjoy the game.Im quite sure many other players think the same and cant really enjoy the game
The problem is that no matter which Cave game got selected, there'd be the same complaints - "this game is too difficult", "some people have a big headstart already" and so on - but you get that with pretty much all the developer weeks so far. The only times we've had a really balanced playing field is during the completely random weeks like Retro or Hidden Gems.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote: (And I'll be breaking that record if not this week, then the following week. *rubs hands in anticipation*)
And then I'll break the new record.