Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

every MSX emulator I used, even good old FMSX-DOS, had support for Joypad. :D
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

*insert Icarus's "Excellent" frog here*

Thanks. :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, gave it a shot, got up to level 4, no idea how far in that is...it's certainly not bad considering its age, but it's still got that trademark MSX "choppiness" (though not nearly as bad as some other games), so I'm not sure how much backing it'd get for a week of tournament play...there's also the lack of a scoring system to take into consideration.

(Off to the side, am I right to find the 3-way weapon nearly useless?)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:*insert Icarus's "Excellent" frog here*
Getcherown damn frog! ^_-
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Level 4 is half of the game (it has 8 levels), but its when it beguns to get hard.

And set your emulator to MSX2+ to make the game smoother.

The 3 way weapon is useful at a couple of spots, but my 1cc runs at this game had always been using only the laser.

Notice that pressing the 2nd button (or the M key if playing on keyboard) change the direction of your option shots.

But being honest, I think some of the veterans here will eat this game on the breakfast. 2nd loop may be way harder though, I never tried it out.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Space Manbow is awesome. A 16-Bit remake on either the SFC or the MD would be considered a classic today, I'm sure. I don't know how well-suited for a competition the game is, but it's a hidden gem for sure.

[rant]

Stop whining already! Let Edge run his tournament the way he wants to and quit complaining about the fact that your favourite games don't get chosen. Also, pretending that you do this for purely "objective" reasons (like declaring which games will entertain the contestants for more than two days - highly subjective if you ask me) did get really old a few pages ago.

I think Icarus said it a thousand times already, but it's definitely worth saying it again: This is not about competing in your favourite games. You can do that all the time in the highscore threads. You could also run your own tournament in which you select the games that are going to be played.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism on the games nominated for a shortlist, but please refrain from childish comments like "OMG, I hated Star Force! Edge does a terrible job!", "This shortlist sucks! Why don't we have a XY week?". I'm sick of it. Thank you.

[/rant]
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Gemini Wing
Herr Schatten

Re: !

Post by Herr Schatten »

DEL wrote:Gemini Wing
Excellent choice, imo. This is a real gem, and very overlooked.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Gemini Wing didn't seem very good when i played it though i didn't spend much time playing.

I've had a go at Scorpius now, and i agree it's not too great. It seems interesting enough for further play but it's a really annoying game right from the start of the first level. not a gem.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

OMG, I hated Star Force!
Edge does a terrible job!
This shortlist sucks!
Why don't we have a XY week?

^_-
landshark

Post by landshark »

I really hope the vote comes out before noon tomorrow. I'm going to be out all weekend and won't be able to vote if it comes out later.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Geming Wing! Why didn't I think of that one?

Great pick !
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Uhm, not to bitch, but it's Friday people, when we're gonna confirm Gemini W...ehr, vote for the next game?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Huh - I could play Gemini Wing on the amiga - then again Starforce NES was refuted in the tournament, so I guess that rules out all the ports....
X - P - B
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Yeah, this vote will probably be a tight squeeze on time again. I haven't seen a pm, so the list is on the backorder it seems :(
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Strike Gunner (arcade) is nearly unplayable without an autofire beyond the current allowed (5) and has really dodgy hit detection.

Air Buster - No scoring system to speak of besides shoot enemy

Cybattler - Life bar, game doesn't really rip on you until 7 minutes in

I'm going to put up a defense for Air Gallet since Rob's retraction didn't seem to take effect -- there's a time-medal based scoring system, and it's also very difficult to survive in though it's mostly attributed to the hitbox being nearly your entire ship and some pattern holes being only slightly bigger. Oldschool!
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

mulletgeezer wrote: I'm sure Takumi games don't really rot brains but their games are not to my taste and what they did with the sequel to Kyukyoku Tiger appals me deeply (another slight exaduration there :) , but i do find it a horrible soulless sequel to a very significant game.) Scoring by Dragon Shot is ok but i think they could have made more of it and i don't like the way DB encourages the player to Dragon Shoot for score at the expense of shooting in the old fashioned manly way, which i was really conscious of as i watched Rob's replay.
I'm sure no one wants to talk about DB; everyone wants to talk about the next poll. With that said:

I see your point in each case. First, I wouldn't say I dislike Kyukyoku Tiger II, but (as Rando once put it to me) it's a bit like Raiden III, a bit disappointing given what came before. Still, I think Gigawing and its sequel are both pretty amazing, among the best games of their time, even if I completely suck at them. One of these days I'll get a respectable score in GW.

As for the dragonshot, I've gotten accustomed to games that have you rely heavily on a nonstandard weapon, like Shiki II. What makes the dragonshot a bit more tedious than, say, Kim's swords, is that you have to be constantly shooting it out and retracting it. But it adds nice strategy that you can leave the head out there to catch coins or do the special shot.

As for the point that DB doesn't punish enough for mistakes, I see the point. Then again, I wouldn't want all games to require a real strict, precise plan and execution. The sort of chaining Ikaruga involves is clever, but it feels a bit contrived and constricting at times. Only for certain moods.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Twiddle wrote:Air Buster - No scoring system to speak of besides shoot enemy
It's called "effective use of weapons."

But yeah, I don't think it would be good for this week's comp either. Too easy for the top tier players.
Rob

Post by Rob »

professor ganson wrote: What makes the dragonshot a bit more tedious than, say, Kim's swords, is that you have to be constantly shooting it out and retracting it.
Yes, what's really annoying is the dragon/game not recognizing a second button push. It really throws off the groove. In one spot it also seemed to recall without another button push almost every time. Also annoying.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

so.. get with the new poll already :arrow:
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Leaving it a bit late for the voting, aren't we fellas? -_-;;
Or is there a problem with compiling the shortlist?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Rob wrote:
professor ganson wrote: What makes the dragonshot a bit more tedious than, say, Kim's swords, is that you have to be constantly shooting it out and retracting it.
Yes, what's really annoying is the dragon/game not recognizing a second button push. It really throws off the groove. In one spot it also seemed to recall without another button push almost every time. Also annoying.
I had these problem as well, and, yes, it really does throw off your rhythm, timing, and mind-set. I usually blamed myself, but there were a few cases where I was sure that it wasn't my fault.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote:Leaving it a bit late for the voting, aren't we fellas? -_-;;
Yeah, how are namakoteam going to wait until the vote is already decided this week?
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Icarus wrote:Leaving it a bit late for the voting, aren't we fellas? -_-;;
Yeah, it happens. Our bad.

In accordance to little signature jokes in tiny font spanning a few words long that coincide with the current shooting game week, here is the voting page for "Hidden" "Gem" "Week"

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=10951

SPECIAL PROMOTIONAL OFFER!!1$

Cast your vote without excess trolling today and rioters will receive a complementary pitchfork and pre-lit torch!*

Image~

~eerie amish guy not included

*may not actually include pitchfork and pre-lit torch
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i'm so sorry i missed out on all the fun :cry:
I have no sig whatsoever.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Apologies again to my team fellas - for being out of contest this week too.

Guys, the only Cave game I own is DDP - I guess that means I'll be out from the upcoming week too! :cry: :x
X - P - B
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I'm afraid I'm not doing too hot this week. I restarted every ten to sixty seconds for an hour and a half straight yesterday before I ran out of patience.

I'll give it another go today.

It's the pressure, I know. Chatty, unavoidable intros aside, this game reminds me of Strike Gunner STG, which I played a lot of back in the day.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

howmuchkeefe wrote:this game reminds me of Strike Gunner STG, which I played a lot of back in the day.
Don't let Rob hear you!
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

Uh oh! :shock: Did I do something even worse than voting for R-Type Final?

EDIT: I played the SNES version of SG:STG. We called it "Strike Gunner: STD". Sometimes "SBD".
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Important

Due to mitigating circumstances, FEKA USA will now officially be known as....

THE KNIGHTS OF RAWK