Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

In a probably futile attempt to get some caravan-action in here, I bring forth Super Star Shooter Advance. It definately qualifies as hidden (though there's one thread about it and it's listed in my caravan high-score thread) and it's quite good. It's easily available, since it's a GBA game and a freeware one at that.

Either that or Gunhed Special Version, but...no.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

That looks cool!

Talking of handheld stuff, what about Judgement Silversword? I've never played it but i've seen it described as awesome before, and it's fairly hidden. I see Wonderswan emulators are avilable but i can't try one out right now. Does anybody have knowledge of this subject?

Randorama: I think we're going to struggle with your criteria. Most shmups with good scoring systems are relatively recent and well known, or doujin. Air Gallet is pretty much the only contender we have on that score (and maybe Omega Fighter, i'm not sure yet) but i suppose some survival games might have scoring possibilities e.g. Dragon Breed which has a timer and a way to stop the scrolling and get points from infinitely spawning enemies. I've not tried this but it might work. I suppose another possibility might be to play a game with raised difficulty to make it insanely hard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

freddiebamboo wrote:Is Vasara 1 better than Vasara 2?
They're similar in a lot of ways, it's really a matter of which game's main scoring system you like better (Vasara 1's "short burst" attack rewards, or Vasara 2's more chain-oriented one). As I said earlier, I'd take either.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

mulletgeezer wrote:Talking of handheld stuff, what about Judgement Silversword? I've never played it but i've seen it described as awesome before, and it's fairly hidden. I see Wonderswan emulators are avilable but i can't try one out right now. Does anybody have knowledge of this subject?
Judgement Silversword is indeed pure awesomeness. That's assuming you're playing the real cart on a real Swancrystal. Last I tried it, emulation wasn't completely up to the task (in JSS' case, anyway). This would limit the competition to myself and maybe six other people.

Actually, that's a good idea. I might finish in Top 5 for once. ;)

Anyway, it's not really "hidden" hidden. The game is known in these parts, it's just that not a lot of people have access to it.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rob

Post by Rob »

mulletgeezer wrote:It was me that suggested Thundercross 2

Takumi stuff clearly rots your brain.

I've played Mystic Riders in the past, i'd call it a hidden mediocrity.
You have bad taste. I've never meant anything more.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

I have broad tastes, i even have time for psikyo games. Like i said, Takumi rots your brain, it also destroys your judgement of others tastes. Ask someone who doesn't love Takumi games to explain this to you.
Rob

Post by Rob »

:)
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Rob wrote:
:)
:?:

It's a good game. It has nice level design, is quite fun to play, has some fine tunage though unfortunately the super weapon is terrible. I was wrong to nominate it for the week, i admit, it isn't suitable for the contest but it is a hidden gem i think, though not one of the sparkliest
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

mulletgeezer, you seem to know your shmups, and then you say things that are utterly inexplicable to me. Takumi rots brains? Scoring by dragonshot sucks? I just don't understand. The dragonshot provides a nice balance of risk/reward. Giga Wing etc. require significant planning and fairly precise execution. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would think GW1, at least, would appeal to a Guwange fan.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I propose a "others" instead of Hidden Gem week :? (With missing stuff like e.g. Raiden Fighters, Taito stuff, The refulecto Takumi titles, etc.)
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:I would think GW1, at least, would appeal to a Guwange fan.
Problem being that GW1 plays nothing like Guwange.
And Guwange is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GW1.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

professor ganson wrote:mulletgeezer, you seem to know your shmups, and then you say things that are utterly inexplicable to me. Takumi rots brains? Scoring by dragonshot sucks? I just don't understand. The dragonshot provides a nice balance of risk/reward. Giga Wing etc. require significant planning and fairly precise execution. Perhaps I'm missing something.
I'm not serious about these things, there's a hint of my real opinion in what i say but i like to exadurate stuff for the sake of more stimulating chat. I'm sure Takumi games don't really rot brains but their games are not to my taste and what they did with the sequel to Kyukyoku Tiger appals me deeply (another slight exaduration there :) , but i do find it a horrible soulless sequel to a very significant game.) Scoring by Dragon Shot is ok but i think they could have made more of it and i don't like the way DB encourages the player to Dragon Shoot for score at the expense of shooting in the old fashioned manly way, which i was really conscious of as i watched Rob's replay. Actually i do rather like the scoring system for ZG2, it's simple but i think it shows a real leap over psikyo's other games. I'm slightly surprised that game doesn't get more respect.

I'm not convined GW and Guwange have anything in common. Please explain Rob?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

mulletgeezer wrote:I'm not convined GW and Guwange have anything in common. Please explain Rob?
The ability to manipulate and transform enemy bullets into lots of shiny things comes immediately to mind, but otherwise...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bullet de/reflecting? I prefer not having an awkward separation of character and reflect device, but bullet manipulation = pretty awesome. I want to like Guwange and I see the possibility there. Its style doesn't do much for me, though.

ZG2's scoring system is decent, but a step or two back from where they were going (adding another facet every game). Kind of DB-ish, the small(er) amount of extra points available from nearly every enemy. But no tech bonus, nothing extra. Hell, no bombs = no bomb bonus.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Randorama wrote:I propose a "others" instead of Hidden Gem week :? (With missing stuff like e.g. Raiden Fighters, Taito stuff, The refulecto Takumi titles, etc.)
yes
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Maybe i'll reevaluate GW some day. I've reevaluated MM several times now and i still hate it.

I think the way ZG2 encourages you to think about your shots so you can grab more crystals and then avoid bombing to get points for each crystal is cool (and if i remember rightly the ship with the crappiest special weapon also had the best scoring potential due to faster maxing of the weapon gauge), also the fact you can destroy small enemies without shooting is an interesting touch and fits in well with crystal grabbing - if they'd just developed it a bit more and added in boss TBs they could have had something really special. On the other hand the medal chaining system in GB2 and S1999 seems to me like a retarded attempt to jump on Cave's chaining bandwagon.
Rob

Post by Rob »

mulletgeezer wrote:I've reevaluated MM several times now and i still hate it.
Arcade or DC?
(and if i remember rightly the ship with the crappiest special weapon also had the best scoring potential due to faster maxing of the weapon gauge)
Yeah, the Comanche had the best milking subweapon.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Arcade, i think i've only played the DC version once. is there a big difference?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Yeah.
DC version has extra buttons. ^_-
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

If you don't have a MAME build that allows for seperate autofire settings (namely, one "every 35 frames" button and one "every other frame" button), you're going to vomit blood when trying to play MM on MAME.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Rob

Post by Rob »

DC version is much smoother. Like if you've gathered a huge amount of bullets and release them on top of an enemy, the DC version won't skip a beat. The arcade version shows a huge clump of gold and starts choking. Just one of the differences I notice besides the much more convenient button arrangement.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Twiddle wrote:If you don't have a MAME build that allows for seperate autofire settings (namely, one "every 35 frames" button and one "every other frame" button), you're going to vomit blood when trying to play MM on MAME.
Where were you when we were playing starforce!? I had an ambition to play the game using several different auto buttons set to different rates (all at 5 or slower) to achieve a really fast rate of fire and gain a big advantage over the other teams but i gave up when i decided that such versions of mame didn't exist. Could you give me a clue as to which version can do this?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

mulletgeezer wrote:
Twiddle wrote:If you don't have a MAME build that allows for seperate autofire settings (namely, one "every 35 frames" button and one "every other frame" button), you're going to vomit blood when trying to play MM on MAME.
Where were you when we were playing starforce!? I had an ambition to play the game using several different auto buttons set to different rates (all at 5 or slower) to achieve a really fast rate of fire and gain a big advantage over the other teams but i gave up when i decided that such versions of mame didn't exist. Could you give me a clue as to which version can do this?
I don't know of a non-game-specific build that does this. The Garelab build has something like that, but it only plays Garegga.
unban shw
Zigfried the Trizealot

Post by Zigfried the Trizealot »

X68k Scorpius seemed cool at first, but it wore off fast. From what I recall, it was pretty sloppily done.

EDIT: oops, I was reading page 37. No wonder this post makes no sense. Go me!

//Zig
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rob wrote:I prefer not having an awkward separation of character and reflect device...
This is sort of my main beef with Guwange as well...I love most of the game, but I have the same issue with it as I do with Panzer Dragoon, namely that you need to move your character and your weapon (in this case, the spirit) at the same time. I can understand how it's sort of unavoidable, but you have no idea how many times I've unintentionally steered my character just far enough to hit a bullet when trying to block a pattern farther upscreen, or unleashed a formerly-blocked group of bullets by nudging my character just a bit to dodge something while my spirit flies halfway across the screen. The lack of invincibility time (leading to instant death if a clump of stuff manages to hit me) can also be frustrating.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

could more people give an opinion on Space Manbow?

If you have no experience with MSX emulators, grab Blue MSX... it's a little heavy, but it's VERY easy to setup, and it runs after install without any fancy configurations.

The Space Manbow rom is very easy to find out (Look for Space Manbow Rom Download on google, and I bet the 3rd option listed will give you an easy to find download).

I would like to know if more people would be for or against it.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Are you using BlueMSX Shatterhand? It feels like it has a bit of input lag on my PC :?

BTW, I think Air Buster was mentioned but there is the possibility for infinite boss milking. (cool game though)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I know shit about MSX emulation, since I own the real thing :)

I used to use FMSX-DOS for all my MSX emulation needs, but the thing doesn't work very well with Windows XP, and it seems like Blue MSX is *THE* MSX emulator those days.

If you can get a hold of it, No$MSX was pretty good.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Quick question, in case you know...do any of the emulators you mention support joysticks/gamepads? I'm even more useless than usual with a keyboard...