Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Because team Canada would be pretty lonely without a couple other players? So I guess I can take part.
Well there are way better players around here than me.

SFKHoa & MSZ come to mind, and I would nominate them.

That isn't to say I wouldn't be in favour of joining a Canada-squadron.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Harlequin

Post by Harlequin »

Probably wont have the time to play, but looks cool.

Looking forward to the competition.

Harlequin
Last edited by Harlequin on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEL

K1

Post by DEL »

STG 無差別級グランプリ2006 決勝戦 (Shooting Game Open-Weight Grand Prix 2006 Final Match)

Agreed! - Great Name.
Team Semi Shilt for me.

USA players should specify what region they want to play for too.
True, its a Big Place.
Venom

Post by Venom »

NTSC-J wrote:lol glad you caught it. I was at the second round of the GP a couple months ago, first time I ever got to see Mirko in person. I'm getting ring-side seats for the Final on 9/10, should be some epic shit!
Damn, I'd love to see that ring side. Hope someone has PPV of it in my area.

Go team Canada, carry on our long tradition of finishing just out of the medals :P
Fascination...
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

This is shaping up nicely, shame I dont have the software, or connection speed to be a part of this.

And the skills :wink: Wouldnt want to tarnish what is a solid UK squad.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I'd play but I doubt I have the skills... plus, I'd want to head up the performance enhancing drug team.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Rob

Post by Rob »

Game choice suggestion:

What was the advantage of random selection again? For this multiple week comp. (5+), I think it is unnecessary. No one here is really good at a game by each of these companies. Knowing what is coming up could give people a chance to practice a bit on their weakest areas (or maybe even buy them if they don't have them?), to help make it more of a contest. I sure could use some forewarning for Raizing or Cave games. And for Takumi - picking like Night Raid or Kyuukyoku Tiger II would suck. Likewise, early Psikyo games are lame for score.

At least cut the randomness down to 2-3 games, maybe a quick poll for each?

And half of the "suggested" weeks are old stuff now. These are cool:

-Classic Horizontal Week / Gradius Week ?
-Super Retro Week (pre 1985 shmups)

But the others, eh. I'd rather see a PC-Engine week over Commodore and Amiga.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

Acid King wrote:I'd play but I doubt I have the skills... plus, I'd want to head up the performance enhancing drug team.
I suck too, but if this is to be a true shmups contest it doesnt make much sense to me if only the top & most competitive players take part. I feel BulletMagnet's Republic of Crapistan team will be a happy place for those who just want to be part of it all.
Japanese game name database (lottsa shmups!!!)
NRS

Post by NRS »

Rob wrote: I'd rather see a PC-Engine week over Commodore and Amiga.
I'll second that!
Edge

Post by Edge »

Yeah, I agree with Tychom there.

And don't worry if a team looks already full since we could still split UK into 2 teams for example.

Hmm... it might also be a good idea to have another looser team. So that other players who don't feel so confident can enter and then "the brotherhood of loosers" would have a rival. I think this would be pretty fun for both teams too. :)

So, would anyone be interested in joining another looser team?

We also have to be creative how we can make users into a team like Rob. Because he'll probably be the only one from Alaska here. But we'll find some solution, I am confident. We don't have to go by strict regionals in all teams. I think at least. :)

EDIT:
About the teams, in the first post I just summed up all ideas that someone had. That doesn't mean we are playing all these themes. (I thought we could make this competition last 5-6 weeks?)

The random selection was supposed to select a Takumi game by random out of pool. In this pool we have already decided for the favorite Takumi games. yeah...but since so many users are participating we may also do polls, to choose the game. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Edge on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Tychom wrote:Republic of Crapistan
:mrgreen:
Edge wrote:Hmm... it might also be a good idea to have another looser team. So that other players who don't feel so confident can enter and then "the brotherhood of loosers" would have a rival.
Well, methinks this sort of depends on how large each team ends up being...in any event, either way the IBL is just in it for fun anyways, and to let the more skilled teams not worry about having to make up for our lower scores. We can compete amongst ourselves even if we're all in one group, but as I said it doesn't matter all that much in the end.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Rob wrote:-Classic Horizontal Week / Gradius Week ?
-Super Retro Week (pre 1985 shmups)
If we're doing something with Gradius/Parodius, let's keep things departmentalized given the number of possible loops: either a by a per-stage score attack or simply best score through the first loop.

And again, we need a Caravan Mode week.
Edge

Post by Edge »

I thought teams would be good to have 5 people on board. 4 are ok too. 3 is a bit too close. Because it was intended that every week for each team 3 players participate in a game. So if the team has 4 or 5 members, they have 1-2 reserve players. This way you can change your formation, depending on the game and also someone can pass certain games if they don't own them / can't emulate them or maybe just don't have freetime.

I think this system is good, since this way the teams will probably be able to participate each week. Remember on the Ramus Shmeets if someone was busy or didn't have a particular game he couldn't catch up to the other players in the rankings. Because he missed the points for an entire game. I hope this team system will prevent this. :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Tychom wrote:... Republic of Crapistan...
Best team name ever.
Kiken wrote:If we're doing something with Gradius/Parodius, let's keep things departmentalized given the number of possible loops: either a by a per-stage score attack or simply best score through the first loop.
I agree. Multilooping games should be limited to record one-loop scores at least, as there are players on here that can go on indefinitely (tviks, I'm looking at you!). Putting a ceiling on a multiloop game encourages everyone to refine their first loop score at least, and with the likes of Parodii, there are score systems in place (gold bells) to encourage improvement.

By the way Edge, how are you going to rank everyone? Are we doing the tiers thing again, or do you have some other ideas baking in the oven?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote:Multilooping games should be limited to record one-loop scores at least,
1 dissenting vote here. If someone can loop Gradius infinitely, clearly they won!
We also have to be creative how we can make users into a team like Rob.
I have no national pride, so I will accept western Canada, US, Russia - I don't care. 8)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You can count me in.

Rob wrote:I have no national pride, so I will accept western Canada, US, Russia - I don't care. 8)
I'd let you join team Turbo. 8)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:1 dissenting vote here. If someone can loop Gradius infinitely, clearly they won!
Thats why its better to limit a multilooper to just one loop. That way it isn't about the distance gained in game, but how well the player scored within that first loop. Again, with the likes of Parodius, you have gold bell bonus points, extra points from powerups and other little treats to push a score further.

And I'll be damned if I'm going to sit through two or more loops at an hour a loop just to get ahead of someone on the table. I'd prefer that couple of hours spent on a single multilooping run spent on a few credits at a time in a shorter game.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nemo wrote: I'd let you join team Turbo. 8)
Awesome, will Johnny and Tony be there?
Edge

Post by Edge »

Icarus wrote:I agree. Multilooping games should be limited to record one-loop scores at least, as there are players on here that can go on indefinitely (tviks, I'm looking at you!).
Hmmm... but I think the highlevel skill which is required in the Gradius games is the multi looping. This game becomes kinda like a marathon discipline if you are good enough. I think if we would reduce it to 1 loop only. The main objective of the game would get lost. Not to mention, aside from Gradius 5, effectively suiciding would be sufficient to maximize score on one loop.

Offcourse I can understand why you disagree with infinite looping, I don't like the concept of unlimited loops as well. But I think it is a part of the Gradius games.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Defenitely in... :D

Not sure if I should join the already infamous "International Brotherhood of Losers" or be responsible for sinking team Netherlands to the bottom of the table though... :?

Oh and I agree with Shatterhand on the need for an MSX week too (and please pick Salamander as the game ;)). But whatever is the system or game I'll play as long as I can find the means to play it :D

Caravan type games no matter what platform are ideal games for this competitionas much as possible. So let Recca, Alzadick, Star Soldier etc. come please!?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Rob wrote:
Nemo wrote: I'd let you join team Turbo. 8)
Awesome, will Johnny and Tony be there?
Don't tell them about the secret weapon.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

RJJ? Hope youre ready for team COWBOY!
8)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Icarus wrote:Multilooping games should be limited to record one-loop scores at least,
Please do this. I mean, as if those Gradius games weren't awful enough the first time through.
Rob wrote:I have no national pride, so I will accept western Canada, US, Russia - I don't care. 8)
Rob for team Canada president.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Well thinking about it... Alaska is almost very close to Germany. So why not entering this team. :P :P

Just had the idea that we might also do a PC Freeware week, with Warning Forever, Dan! Da! Dan! and the likes.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

I'm definitely in if you'll have me, I'm from the UK.

Like many people here I'm not brilliant but not bad either so I'm not going to be racking up any mega scores.

I like the idea of random games and the one loop. Also I agree with balancing the teams because it's all pointless if all the great shmuppers are together.

I like the country demarcation as well except that the USA is so big it is bound to have an advantage so maybe split it up north, south, east, west or similar.

I love the idea of themed weeks as has been suggested.

I don't think we should have 3 people playing each game from each team. I think all players should play and the top three scores be added together. That way everyone gets to play everything.

I think this is going to be great.

Cheers

Leeram
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Limbrooke wrote:
MrMonkeyMan wrote:Because team Canada would be pretty lonely without a couple other players? So I guess I can take part.
Well there are way better players around here than me.

SFKHoa & MSZ come to mind, and I would nominate them.

That isn't to say I wouldn't be in favour of joining a Canada-squadron.
Sorry dude, but I wish I have time for the competition.

May be next time.
NRS

Post by NRS »

Tychom wrote:Republic of Crapistan team
Very awesome name indeed. I should probably join this team as well (or International Brotherhood of Losers, whatever you guys decide to call it).
Rob

Post by Rob »

Last edited by Rob on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I'm in but I might now have all the games required for the tournament. (Playing via Local Arcades and own collection.)

Team: -USA Westcoast- (California)
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

How the heck would you divide Europe then? It's harder than it seems, actually :?
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?