Has anyone used this product to play N64 imports??...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Has anyone used this product to play N64 imports??...

Post by dave4shmups »

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k6-49-en-70-2q.html

Seems to have plenty of mixed reviews, but I don't want to mod an N64 myself, and have no idea where to buy a modded one.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Just take a hammer and bash the tabs out of there. That thing is $19.99 too expensive.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

Exactly what I did. If you need even further help, try looking here:

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/n64/
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ahnslaught wrote:Exactly what I did. If you need even further help, try looking here:

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/n64/
Thanks for that guide!

I dunno, I'd rather not sort through the huge Lowes store near my house for the Gamebit handle and the Gamebit. I did see the 1-800#, but by the time they get those parts shipped to you, you could have that adapter.

We do have a small set of plyers at my house; has anyone used those instead?
Farewell to hollow words
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

I don't think plyers will work well - there's really nothing for the plyer to grab onto on the head of the screw itself.

Also, I'm pretty sure Gamebits are not sold at places like Loew's or Radio Shack - you have to go online for them (like $5 on ebay), or maybe some smaller hardware shops might have them, I don't know. I do know an Ace hardware near my house doesn't sell them, but do sell other security bits like Torx bits, so I'm guessing gamebits are really not widely available.

I would say the bits are worth getting over the N64 adaptor for a couple of reasons, however. One is that getting the bit you need (I'd suggest getting both a 4.5 and 3.8mm gamebits, however) is cheaper than the $20 adaptor. Second, gamebits are used for N64 consoles, N64 carts, SNES carts, and Genesis carts, so it's always handy to have if you ever need to open them up.

Me personally, I just replace gamebit screws of everything I have with a phillips or flathead screw - makes it easier to open up in the future.
benj

Post by benj »

You could also try to make your own Gamebit.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Dave, if you don't want to hammer out the tabs, I have a cheap adapter I'll sell you for $5 shipped.
COWBOY-RJJ
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Valgar wrote:Dave, if you don't want to hammer out the tabs, I have a cheap adapter I'll sell you for $5 shipped.
What kind of adapter is it? I don't know if that one on Play Asia is the only type that exists.

@ahnslaught; thanks for the info-I will try Ebay.
Farewell to hollow words
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

dave4shmups wrote:
Valgar wrote:Dave, if you don't want to hammer out the tabs, I have a cheap adapter I'll sell you for $5 shipped.
What kind of adapter is it? I don't know if that one on Play Asia is the only type that exists.

@ahnslaught; thanks for the info-I will try Ebay.
Hey Dave,

It is called the Wonder Adapter or something like that. I got it from NCSX, works fine of course (I mean really it is just an extension so you can avoid the tabs).
COWBOY-RJJ
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

There is another way.

Just buy the gamebit for the cartridges. Its smaller than the console gamebit.

Get a US game that costs 99cents like an EA game from a pawn store and change the back of the cartridges from JP to USA. It probably won't bother buyers that are buying the games from you because they probably have the bits carved out of the machine anyway.

I've seen some Sin and Punishments sold like this. I mean its no big deal. The n64 is the easiest system in the world to mod.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

I have a Passport 3 like in the link.

I don't know which region you are converting to and from but I'm going from PAL to USA.

It doesn't work as well as you'd think for all games but works perfectly fine for those it supports. There should be a web link that lists them.

Basically you boot up the cartridge with the import game in and also a native region game at the same time, insert a code on screen, then the import plays.

If it's an unknown game there are some generic codes you can try which normally work.

If you are going to put a Japanese game into a USA system then just cut the plastic tabs, then you can play call games!

Cheers

Lee
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

i would also reccomend skipping an adapter (the one i used sucked and wasnt worth the 5$ i payed for it. when it wiggled the game would reset...), and mod the system. its sooo easy.

instead of pliers, i used small modeling snips. they are like small clipers used to clip parts off of plastic models. you can pick them up at hobby shops.

i just stuck them in there and snipped off as much of the tabs as i could and shook out the plastic remains. took 10 minutes and now i have a modded n64.

super easy. do it!