Anyone here own/play with the multi-game Gamebox PCB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Anyone here own/play with the multi-game Gamebox PCB?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

After fiddling around with this 104-in-1 Gamebox Jamma compatible PCB, I realize that it's a two-layer PCB (with the bottom layer being the PC guts and HD & top layer is Jamma output side). It totally bypasses the A/C power requirements of the arcade cabinet/Supergun setup and uses the Gamebox's own A/C power supply unit box to power up both the Gamebox PCB itself + the arcade cabinet/Supergun rig as well.

A Kiva II program copyright appears on-screen after the intial PC boot-up (which is presented in 31 kHz and not stable on a 15 kHz RGB monitor setup). I'd have to say that it's really a Mame emu PC rig but with Jamma output for use with arcade cabinet or Supergun use.

It's really odd & strange that one has to shut down the Gamebox's A/C power supply unit just to get access to the main menu to choose from the wide assortment of arcade games...would the frequent turning "on & off" be bad for the PC rig on the second layer of the Gamebox PCB itself? (I like how it's possible to soft-reset a Global VR produced 'Arcade Legends' jamma PCB setup and still get access to the entire lineup of arcade game titles...this Gamebox is one unusual multi-arcade game PCB indeed!) ^_~

My question is: Is it possible to change the arcade roms on the HD to others of my liking and how would I go about that route?

Sure, I've seen the 400-in-1 Gamebox PCB being sold on eBay from time to time but with no arcade Roms whatsoever -- usually trying to be sold for $500.00-$600.00 USD (isn't worth that much IMO).

Any help on changing the arcade Roms on this Gamebox PCB would be greatly appericiated. A big thanks in advance. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Well why not just take out the HD and hook up to a regular PC to look at the directory structure and files? Its got to be either linux or windows formatted.
PC Engine Fan X!

I managed to poke around with the Gamebox's HDD...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Upon configuring the 104-in-1 Gamebox's HDD in another PC, it turns out that it's running Windows 98 OS with Kiva II OS in conjunction with ArcadeOS version 2.71 & DosMame that make up the Gamebox arcade selection menu setup.

So it's possible to add or subtract arcade roms (provided that they are properly configured) on this particular Gamebox HDD. And yes, "Yoko" screen-oriented arcade roms can be played on this primarily "Tate" oriented menu setup. ^_~

There is a port for hooking up a PC keyboard + a PC mouse so one may soft reset back to the main menu of the 104-in-1 arcade roms directory screen by simply pressing the "Esc" key. Damn, the very vague Gamebox instructions d/l off the web never mentioned anything about hooking up a keyboard to "soft reset" back to main menu selection screen. I had to find out by trial & error what keys do what when a keyboard is attached to the notebook PC motherboard that powers up this particular Gamebox arcade PCB.

It would be cheaper to get a PC tower with Win98 with an ArcadeVGA card installed + the J-PAC adapter seperately and basically have the same thing (but only in a bigger box). I'd have to say the dimensions of this Gamebox really doesn't take whole lot of space and would be perfect for a tabletop arcade setup or a mini Mame arcade cabinet setup (assuming if space inside is at a premium). ^_~

It appears that the sound card drivers were never installed in the first place as there's no sound coming out from the 56-pin Jamma edge connector. Fucking damn lazy bastards who installed the programs on this particular Gamebox HDD...so that means I'll have to go look for such a compatible notebook sound card and upload the proper sound card drivers to get "sound" output through the Gamebox's built-in J-PAC output board. At least I found out that sound output is fine via Win98SE OS on the other computer to find out just how the Gamebox game OS directories are setup. Grrrr!....

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~