GP2X - Anyone got one?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASK

GP2X - Anyone got one?

Post by ASK »

Wondering if anyone has a GP2X (www.gp2x.com)? For those who don't know, it's a handheld, open source system that runs on Linux. No messing around with exploits, pass-mes or avoiding firmware updates like those other handhelds ;) Lots of emulators for different systems are available for it, some work flawlessly, some not-so-much, but they're still being worked on by people in the community.

Been looking into one recently, mainly interested playing the Metal Slug series and Shmups on it.

This guy here has done some very nice example videos of the system, including some great comparison videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=amiga2000

So, basically my question is, if you have one, how do you like it? With the most recent versions of the gnGeo2x, how well does Metal Slug 2-5 play (I know the original plays fine)? What about CPS2 hardware (ie ProGear or 19XX) in MAMEGP2X?
ASK

Post by ASK »

Alright, guess I'm going to find out for myself! Ordered one last night, so we'll see once it gets here :D
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

You'll be pleased with gngeo. It's probably the best emulator available so far. DrMDx is also a great MegaDrive emulator that's running really well.

I'm a bit behind, but minor annoyances with the system itself are short battery life, low boot success rate (at least for mine), and the video player crashes a lot. It's a reasonable price for what you get though, costs a bit more than a DS Lite.

TV-out is really cool, I hope you also ordered that cable...
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/08/gamepark_gp2x_u.html

Looks like Dynamism is going to distro this in the USA...how well does MAME run on it? For shmups, of course. Tate'able? I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this thing
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

I have one. I've only used it for Neogeo, genesis, and sms emulation so far, and it's been top notch. Nothing beats playing metal slug and rocket knight adventure on the can.

I've played a lot of TF3 and Last Resort on it, and it all runs very well. However, shmups on handhelds gets very frustrating for me.

It's great for videos too. And when I get tired of metal slug, it's key for some old skool phantasy star action. Ebook reader comes in handy for walkthroughs ;)

so ya, I'd say it's definately worth a buy just for that.
=/
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

oh ya, another thing I forgot is that is can do tv out really easily which is always a plus. And their making a break out box so you can hook up and usb devices to it. It'd be like a mini console. yay!
=/