My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Rozyrg

Re: My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

Post by Rozyrg »

Nope, not at all. :wink: Now I just need to make a little fist pumping Bastion as a rider...

The dragon's head still has the vital hitbox, though, and there's only one type so far that can block shots, so it's not quite like DB, yet. Falcor *cough*...I mean Lucky will probably only be there for bonus stages; but any others that have riders, I'll experiment with that.
mice

Post by mice »

You should get the license, can't be that expensive. With the Limahl tune and everything. :D
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

I know you mentioned the riders are more of an aesthetic quirk, so maybe they could be a little easter egg you can trigger on and off or something?
mice wrote:You should get the license, can't be that expensive. With the Limahl tune and everything. :D
Here you go
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Oh man, I wish. I always liked this track better, though. :mrgreen:
Besides, as cool as a NeS shmup would be, a game based on the second half of the book where Bastian goes around literally speaking huge parts of the world into existence (and consequently losing his own memories) would be way cooler.
S20-TBL wrote:I know you mentioned the riders are more of an aesthetic quirk, so maybe they could be a little easter egg you can trigger on and off or something?
That's one possibility, yeah. If protecting the rider is a good enough gimmick to just make another character/ship out of, I might leave it at that; but if not, all kinds of silliness is possible. >_>
railslave

Post by railslave »

Do it for Artax :oops:

(and thats one pretty Falcor btw)
"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

ZOMG I'm posting in this thread!

I don't even know why.

Gryzor is a magical artist. :3
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

mice wrote:You should get the license, can't be that expensive. With the Limahl tune and everything. :D
That one may be quite pricey still. But the Aussie parody version should be pretty cheap though! :P
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I'd love to do stuff for a lot of old licenses, honestly; but yeah, restrictions on money, time, general inexperience and the annoyances of working with other people kinda conspire against that. Especially people just wanting a cheap ad/merch platform.. kind of ironic since a few I'd want to do are squarely in the blatantly toy-shilling 80's cartoon category. >_>

As for fees, look at how much Farsight had to pay *just* for the rights to recreate Addams Family pinball for Pinball Arcade. I know that's both between a movie company, a now-extinct game company and possibly also the estate of AF's creator; but still.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Addams Family Pinball was a freaky case there if you looked into the details, which as a Gold backer on the Kickstarter I've done just that. The biggest issue financially seemed to be the Most Favoured Nation clauses of the actors likenesses (no one can be paid in the deal more than them), and Christopher Lloyd being a Scrooge and wanting to get paid some undisclosed stupid amount of cash. By contrast, Bram Stoker's Dracula was piss-easy for them to get the license and AFAIK they didn't even have to deal with the actors there as Sony still had the rights to it, whereas Paramount's had expired and Farsight had to untangle the various cross-licenses themselves. Note also that it's their most expensive Kickstarter yet, Terminator 2 of all things was still cheaper.

I can see where you're coming from though. Farsight is a company with various sponsors and you're a one-man army. Still, start small and go up, possibly create your own memorable licenses along the way. :P
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Anyway, back on topic before The Emptiness catches us in a legal tangle and we're forced to use the Auryn... ;)

I had a couple suggestions regarding the dragon tail. Could there be a possible mechanic where pressing or holding a "focus" button of some sort will cause your dragon to lock its body position? Additionally, the body could be used as some sort of melee attack, with the defender type dragon having an advantage by being able to cancel bullets (you might have to nerf its shot power though) and that starburst dragon having more melee power because of the tail projectile. Dunno how this will affect the difficulty though.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

@BPzeBanshee Wow, I had no idea it was that convoluted. :shock:
S20-TBL wrote:I had a couple suggestions regarding the dragon tail. Could there be a possible mechanic where pressing or holding a "focus" button of some sort will cause your dragon to lock its body position? Additionally, the body could be used as some sort of melee attack, with the defender type dragon having an advantage by being able to cancel bullets (you might have to nerf its shot power though) and that starburst dragon having more melee power because of the tail projectile. Dunno how this will affect the difficulty though.
I've thought about the body lock mechanic before; but haven't tried it yet. Obviously it'd need something to keep you from using it constantly, like not letting you change firing direction or being limited to just a few seconds.

A body attack might be challenging to do procedurally with how the 'dragons' are constructed (think Gradius options); but hell, I've animated stuff frame by frame before.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Rozyrg wrote:I've thought about the body lock mechanic before; but haven't tried it yet. Obviously it'd need something to keep you from using it constantly, like not letting you change firing direction or being limited to just a few seconds.
That could work. You could also slow down the dragon to prevent you from simply flying up to everything and ramming them willy nilly.
Rozyrg wrote:A body attack might be challenging to do procedurally with how the 'dragons' are constructed (think Gradius options); but hell, I've animated stuff frame by frame before.
I've actually done this with the old Gradius style options in Papilio v0.1.5 up to v0.3 before I decided to switch to the mirrored rotation thingy. They would normally follow you around, but lock themselves in position while firing. It did have a slight problem in that it caused some enemy homing shots to fly straight towards the character instead of doing roundabouts.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I know stuff like curling spirals and undulating S curves are fairly easy from experience; but since I've already built a crappy little gadget for animating the tail, I'll try something a bit more complex first.

Slowing down movement is definitely a good idea, though. That will probably be enough of a drawback with as fast as enemy bullets are. Thanks for the suggestions, now I need to actually get to implementing this stuff. ;)
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Try to adapt this example by Cris Spiegel, is freeware:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4sqd ... ns_GM7.rar
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Rozyrg and his "lucky dragon", hhehehhe!

Note: this is an old ilustration that I made on my ancient shirt, 1997.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

That's no lucky dragon, that's a metal monster breathing smoke and fire, that closes in with vengeance soaring high.

Also, it has a cross cutting thundercharge, and judging by that snazzy front wheel, a blade of destruction.

8)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

S20-TBL wrote:That's no lucky dragon, that's a metal monster breathing smoke and fire, that closes in with vengeance soaring high.
I bet it's faster than a laser bullet and louder than an atom bomb too. ;)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I've actually wanted to turn that album cover into a boss for ages... :mrgreen:

This guy as well:
Now if I could only get the rights for 'The Sentinel' to play as an intro.

I think I've finally settled on the basic setup for Draconyx:
  • - 3 or 4 "stages", each being a specific background set, enemy pool and boss
    -- The final stage will combine enemies, elements from all previous stages
    - You can select the starting stage and the difficulty will increase with each one you complete
    - Stages alternate between horizontal and vertical scrolling, changing enemy behavior slightly
    - Basic time attack/caravan rules are in play; but with a twist. Certain actions (clearing midbosses without dying for instance) will earn you more time for the next stage, which will start with a set minimum.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

HHOHOHO! I read the title of album "DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH", HAHAHHAH!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Any new news of your cool Ouya shmup slated for release yet, Rozyrg?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

The jar is slowly filling for it, I've got enough stuff for a few stages at least; but it all just needs a bit more work to make it function right. I'm making another video for it soon, it's just hinging on finishing a few more enemy types I have gfx but not code for. :)

As for other OUYA stuff, I could release Megatank v2 and Fire Arrow pretty much as is; but I want to bug test a bit more... and I'd rather not have them up for free. :P
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

Rozyrg wrote:
Dragon Breed was an inspiration for sure. I kinda wanted to make one with a rider; but I didn't think it would look right with how the dragons are constructed. Might give it a try and have it as a goofy little unlockable bonus or something. <_<
I could see it working with something roughly the size of Flea Man from Metroidvania. In fact I think they bounce around on their own skeletal dragons at some point.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

A Castlevania style bone dragon is a great idea, actually. :mrgreen: Not sure what the gimmick would be beyond making the rider the one doing all the shooting; but it'd be cool visually at least.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Make the dragon shoot fire or something and you've got yourself a boss fight .. :p
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

About this:

Well, this is the THUNDERTANK, man! :)

Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Udderdude wrote:Make the dragon shoot fire or something and you've got yourself a boss fight .. :p
Well, it'd be the other way around. :mrgreen: The idea has gone out the window a bit now that I've added some weirder enemies; but originally you were supposed to be the 'bad guy' monsters fighting against humanity/earth forces/whatever.

Just saying that, I so need to add some Samurai Zombie Nation style mass destruction. >_>

@Tiao
Good find! Glad Mr. Sentinel* got work after the album. Didn't recognize him with all that extra armor on. ;)

*the song describes a sword wielding soldier guy rather than a scary half tank lion monster. Yeah, it's just a silly (yet awesome) heavy metal album cover, I know.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

After observe better, this Judas Priest's cover is a mix between THUNDERTANK and the first M.U.S.H.A's boss! :)

Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

The update for Draconyx is going to be later than sooner, sadly; but excluding stuff like backgrounds, I'll have a decent chunk of the game done by then. I have one boss as well as a bunch of new enemy types done and another boss that just needs coding.

The general stage layout will be:

• -RUINS
    -BIO
    -SPACE
    -????
You'll be able to choose the stage order like in Thunderforce and there will be some kind of basic rank function that notches up the difficulty with each cleared stage. I'm still working out how to do the time accumulation thing - either it'll just knock off X seconds per death or I'll make them pickups that scatter like rings in Sonic so you're guaranteed to miss at least a few. >_>
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I suggest:

-RUINS
+
-BIO
+
-SPACE
+
-SEA
+
-SHIP DUMPS
+
-UNDERWATER DEEP

:)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I'm keeping the level count down to 3 regular + 1 combined final stage so it's actually feasible for me to finish. With the pseudo caravan setup I have, I don't want too many levels, either, as that can make it frustrating.

Bio stage will have various aquatic things anyways - the boss is a giant creepy fish, for one. :D