My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Rozyrg

Re: My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

Post by Rozyrg »

Havent heard of it (probably need to check my email.) Wonder if it's a cross between Rezon and Blazeon? :lol:

I am working on two separate things for NGDEV on top of everything else, though. :) I don't touch design stuff unless it's just following something I've already made. I have made lots of demo/mockup stuff for the most current thing, though; but it's all using my gfx.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I just got back from a family get-together (vaguely July 4th related), finally had the time to work on my own stuff stress and pressure free. It's looking like Thrust N Dodge will have 3x the number of bosses I originally intended, so you'll probably fight several on each run, with the orders changing around on subsequent loops.

Now that that's over, I have to play catchup on everything else again...BLAARGHH
Shmuppet

Post by Shmuppet »

ZPF! ZPF! ZPF! ZPF!

Totally waiting for that game to be finished. I'm rooting for you! :)
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Flying V!!!
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I *might* take a stab at getting ZPF running in Studio later, hopefully it won't take a complete re-working like that other game I haven't had time to work on in months. (sorry, wolverine :()

Anyways, given the relatively high chance I'll have to start it from scratch too, feel free to leave suggestions for both. Balancing, stage layout, scoring, difficulty, whatever. 8)
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Rozyrg wrote:I *might* take a stab at getting ZPF running in Studio later, hopefully it won't take a complete re-working like that other game I haven't had time to work on in months. (sorry, wolverine :()

Anyways, given the relatively high chance I'll have to start it from scratch too, feel free to leave suggestions for both. Balancing, stage layout, scoring, difficulty, whatever. 8)
Geez Roz, you too? GM Studio is honestly a pain in the neck when attempting to port GM8.1 files.

That "other game" wouldn't happen to be that Alisia Dragoon lookalike you teased a while back, would it?
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Long time no see, buddy! :mrgreen:
S20-TBL wrote:That "other game" wouldn't happen to be that Alisia Dragoon lookalike you teased a while back, would it?
Sadly no. :( I've got way too many of those half started concept-level things lying around - if I had unlimited free time, I'd be working on them all. I almost started on an Altered Beast style one recently and I've also considered doing a funky 8/16-bit style baseball title or even a hybrid fantasy CCG/board game.

The one I meant was Flying V, which porting over to GMS/OUYA basically necessitated starting from scratch. It's not so bad with later stuff like Last Chance or Fire Arrow; but the older ones I had the not-so-convenient-in-retrospect 'uninitialized variables' option checked are a massive headache to get going again. Just trying to corral all the stray variables for all enemy types into one script was ridiculous...I think I had gotten to 1k lines before I just threw in the towel.

-----------
edit: I got ZPF into Studio - just tiptoeing through it's many, many undeclared variables is taking bloody forever; but it does seem salvageable at least. The code isn't even as horrifically bad as I expected. Not counting the time it took to make the GMS-appropriate syntax changes, I got the title screen up and running in just a few hours. >_>
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

ZPF is kind of getting there, it's pretty much down to getting enemies and the funkier weapon types working. The whack-a-mole bug swatting and variable fixing isn't as bad as I thought it would be. :mrgreen:

Actually adding new content is another issue entirely, though. Once I've got all the console-specific and control mapping stuff in and done away with as much bad/redundant code as I can (there's quite a bit), a lot of retouching work needs to be done to the graphics to bring it up to par.

Once the high-priority bits are done, though, I might just put this up, warts and all, on the OUYA store as a demo just to have some kind of presence there. >_>
Shmuppet

Post by Shmuppet »

Great! I hope you can put it on PC, free or not. I made enough from my paid shmup to get ZPF if it ever becomes shareware. :)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

There's some screen issues to sort out (GMS related); but it could easily make it over. ;) Granted, it would only be a minor upgrade with built-in gamepad support and whatever changes/fixes I make along the way.

Actually finishing the game is a ways off; but this is a good way to help jumpstart it.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Alrighty, now that I've killed 2 days straight getting this running, it's time to do some assessing.

Progress/Tweaks:
  • - Levels 1 and 2 are working pretty much 100% now and 3 won't be far off.
    - Gamepad code is up and operational.

- The castle section in stage 2 now scrolls at a more reasonable speed. Movement speed for some enemies there will likely be tweaked too to tone down the aggression level just slightly.
    - The Knight's special sword attack has been beefed up quite a bit and has snazzier fx. "Throwing" them (by releasing the key) amplifies their damage output even more too.
    - Ko's homing beam fires faster, does more damage and also has snazzy added fx.
To be done:
  • - Special beam attacks (Gold & Gladius) need fixing and general upgrading.
    - Bat's shield special is complete crap and needs serious work.
    - Levels 2&3 have nasty background graphic glitches that need fixing.
    - The unreadable hovering text on powerup collection will either be replaced with something better or shitcanned.
    - Level 1 boss, character portraits and some of the larger enemies need serious gfx work.
    - Options menu needs complete overhaul to allow for pad rebinding and sectioning off key rebinds for the console version. *groan*
    - "How to play" demo might need major overhaul as well. *double groan*
I'm actually thinking about making this 'demo version' sort of my test run for IAP functionality on OUYA and putting it up for $1. Seem reasonable? I don't want to pretend this is some kind of early access thing, though, as I have no idea when I'll have time to start cranking out new content for it.

As it's just a slight upgrade of the old one, though, (and I don't expect I'll have much luck shaking my paypal begging cup) I won't ask anything for it on PC.
mice

Post by mice »

Rozyrg wrote:To be done:
Apart from the controller options menu and the bkg glitches, the rest are not have-tos, right?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Technically no; but I think it's a big enough deal to improve if I'm potentially using this to make a first impression. Like the code upgrade, it's a 'better sooner than later' kind of thing, too, as I'd rather go ahead and do them while I have specific ideas in mind. :) The graphics aren't really as big an issue as I feared, though. The pilot portraits make up most of that.

Following the general upgrade for the special weapons, Bat will probably get a bullet reflector or something.

... and like I said, feel free to point out anything else that might need tweaking/fixing from the older version. Difficulty, scoring, stage order, whatever.

edit: been making some progress redrawing stuff:
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Was playing Fire Arrow. We could use more of that Caravan-style stuff around here, really. :D The pacing was hectic as is your style, but thankfully you could adjust the ship speed. The default was more than enough to twitch around the faster bullet spreads though. I liked the fact that some larger enemies play out like Psikyo bosses (the spinning cross turrets must either be led carefully from one side of the screen to the other OR speed-dodged from side to side, for one).

In hindsight, something tells me your fast-paced style of shmup design lends itself really well to the Hudson Caravan formula. Maybe you should try iterating around that a bit more, see what sticks and what doesn't?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Oh, totally! :mrgreen:
I've been wanting to make one with ZANAC style bosses too, actually. I think that would go really well with all of the pseudo random elements. I also have another hori in the works (Dragon Breed -ish) that's lacking direction right now, might be interesting to try a Caravan approach with that as well.

It might just be my ADD; but I'm definitely starting to lean more towards the format of shorter, more focused games in general. I can actually finish the damn things for one.

Also, there's a secret, second stage in Fire Arrow. I honestly don't know if anyone else has even seen it, so I might've just walled that garden too high. The easiest way is to kill the King block formation (you'll know it when it shows up) without dying and then just surviving to the end.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

I only noticed it just now, but 1234 rock made me laugh so hard when I realized it sounded like Kill the Fight from Fist of the North Star. Wound up killing me halfway through the 3 minute run. :lol:
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Oh god, I totally hear it too now. :lol:

Sadly, I'm having to replace the music for the updated version that's going on the OUYA store, as it's mostly all old Amiga/PC demoscene stuff. Reaching that same stratospheric level of glorious musical cheese on purpose might be impossible; but we can hold out hope. >_>
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Well, I'm not dead yet. >_>

No major progress on the big stuff, sadly (discounting everything for NGDEV); but I'm starting to tinker with a Blaster Master sort of thing as part of a collaboration with a friend. I'll post some pics of that eventually.

Assuming it works out, it's probably the first of my games I could honestly say was made by a 'team'. :lol:
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Slight change of pace for me.. I'm trying to talk the bossman into doing a fantasy game next. I'd like to put those millions of hours playing Dark Souls to use if nothing else. :D Whatever it is (assuming I even get it to the prototype stage, much less ok'd for anything past that), it will probably be as much of a shooter at it's core as something like Ghouls & Ghosts or Magic Sword.

I'm also experimenting with using different resolutions for some of my prototype games, like R-Type's 359X256. Hardly a major change, I know; but I really like the look of it.

Being as close to settling on a (terrible) name as I can be, I'm thinking about calling the dragon game Draconyx :
  • 1. I can pretend it's a continuation of my YX series, which hasn't been a 'series' since the olden times of Blast Works; but I can bring it back in some form.
    2. It's the name of an actual dinosaur, thus adding scientific credibility (ok, not really)
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Rozyrg wrote:it will probably be as much of a shooter at it's core as something like Ghouls & Ghosts or Magic Sword.
Black Tiger ;)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

There you go! ..or Willow, or Legend of Hero Tonma, or many, many others. Love those games.

Magic Sword actually gave me the idea, I was playing it the other day and it just struck me how mechanically simple it was. 'Seems basic enough for me to execute' is usually the deciding factor with these, naturally. :lol:
mice

Post by mice »

Rozyrg wrote: 'Seems basic enough for me to execute' is usually the deciding factor with these, naturally
Same here, but somehow they all turn out into beasts of unmanagable proportions.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, it's not hard to feel like Dr. Frankenstein at times, except our monsters are attacking before their limbs are all properly sewn on. :lol:

I look at it this way: I always have something to pull off the shelf and tinker with on a rainy day. ;) Not much difference to when was back in school and I'd have 100 sketches to every finished drawing, anyways.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

'been tinkering with my dragon shmup thing some more and even made a video for it. :)

Granted, it's currently pretty random and clusterfucky, there's one background and just a few enemy types (which aren't all shown due to the annoyances of screen recording); but there's enough to get the basic idea across I think.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Oooh Syvalion / Dragon Breed. :D This one has that Treasure vibe, most definitely. So from what I gather, it's supposed to be dual stick game?

Love the different dragon types and the unique shots. Though I personally feel Armor Dragon and Flame Dragon should have their shot types switched (being able to block shots with your segments makes pointblanking with the flamethrower safer, and that wide shot looks OP for a defensive type ship), but that's just my opinion.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, they're not exactly balanced yet, I was just trying out these ideas as I had them. Even the simplest one (Snake) isn't even really balanced as it's like playing Gradius with 10 options and full 360 degree aiming. :lol: I haven't even made unique gfx for them all yet.

It uses the twin stick setup, yep - GMS' gamepad functions were one of the first things I was testing on OUYA, especially Rstick stuff. The one twist I add to it is having the trigger fire in the last direction inputted, so you can just tap the stick if you like. Megatank v2 uses that and the OUYA version of Last Chance lets you use the Rstick for up/down fire as an alternate control method as well. (Full marks to Yoyo for finally properly integrating that stuff in.)

Dragon Breed was an inspiration for sure. I kinda wanted to make one with a rider; but I didn't think it would look right with how the dragons are constructed. Might give it a try and have it as a goofy little unlockable bonus or something. <_<

edit: Totally forgot you can't see how powering up works in the video - that's where *some* of the balance comes into play. Basically, every powerup gives you an additional tail segment; but affects each ship differently:
  • Snake - extra firepower with every additional segment
    Flame Dragon - flame blast becomes slightly longer/more powerful
    Armor Dragon - the additional segments make it easier to block shots, but there is no increase in firepower
    Morgenstern - an extra 'spike' is added to the tail and all spikes become slightly longer
    Ray - additional segments make it easier to direct shots and generally flood the screen with bullets
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Damn that dragon game looks cool. :D
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Thanks. :) I could've posted something for it ages ago, it's just kinda been sitting there; but getting some new music in was a good reason to finally get off my ass.

As I've touched on before, it will likely go the pseudo caravan route, like Fire Arrow. It'll have 2, maybe 3 levels + 1 bonus stage with lots of randomization (and fairly jacked up difficulty, of course.) I'll be making an updated video before too long with proper gamepad play and some new stuff to see. I also still need to show off the updated TND (the flappy bird looking thing), which is almost finished.

Also..
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

Your last video reminded me Saint dragon and now, when i see this screen update, it is more dragon breed style. :D
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

...........Is that Falcor?? :lol: