My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
n0rtygames

Re: My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

Post by n0rtygames »

Rozyrg wrote:coming back to PC
xyx please! Your games at ng-dev don't work with my tv over an rf connection and I don't have any vga setups.. or even an arcade stick.

Please. For me. I'd like to play it <3
facebook: Facebook
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Rozyrg wrote:coming back to PC
Oh man, how long have I been waiting for an update to FURAINGU V
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I don't know the exact details; but it'll be awhile before I can even touch XYX again (due to agreements and such.) When that finally transpires, though, I won't be using any of the upgraded assets - it'll need to remain distinct as possible.
nasty_wolverine wrote:FURAINGU V

I totally need someone to VO that now. :lol:
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I don't know the exact details; but it'll be awhile before I can even touch XYX again (due to agreements and such.) When that finally transpires, though, I won't be using any of the upgraded assets - it'll need to remain distinct as possible.
Whenever it's done, it'll be coming back to PC, though... with all the additions and improvements.
Have you still got working TATE in Last Chance? Any ideas on what kind of changes GM:Studio may have had to persistence of objects and 'with' statements?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, I've got TATE running 100% in all the ports that have needed it, all using fairly simple surface tricks.

For all my past gripes about coding changes in Studio, I haven't run into anything else since I upgraded (...and I'm still not upgrading further until I have to again.) I very rarely use persistent objects, though, so I wouldn't know about that specifically.
adorable puppy wrote:...
I honestly just feel bad using stuff other people paid for if that makes any sense. Some of themes,enemy and background gfx have changed completely, too. For instance, no more dragons on level 5. <_<
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, I've got TATE running 100% in all the ports that have needed it, all using fairly simple surface tricks.
Cool! Might have to get some code off you sometime, I completely lost all knowledge about GM:S surfaces. Since your games work with only having a menu in main room there's not much need for it to be dynamic is there?
nasty_wolverine

Rozyrg wrote:
nasty_wolverine wrote:FURAINGU V

I totally need someone to VO that now. :lol:
Where do i signup for auditions...?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

BPzeBanshee wrote:... only having a menu in main room there's not much need for it to be dynamic is there?
Well, I use kind of a cheapie method for menus, anyways and dynamic ones aren't typically needed for my somewhat limited aims.;) In my last several games, the title options and pause menus are both contained in the same script and I usually just clip the number of options listed for the pause one.
nasty_wolverine wrote:Where do i signup for auditions...?
The folksy looking BBQ joint next to the thrift store and Dollar General. Payment will have to be in rib plates. >_>
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I'm taking a quick break after the Neo release (*cough* BUY IT NOW BUY IT NOW *cough*), specifically trying to wrap one or two of the smaller games up. I already have ideas for another 'budget' sized game, kinda want to knock something out of the queue beforehand.

I'm somewhat conflicted on how to actually sell them, though. My original plan with Megatank was to just cut it off at round 2 for the demo; but I wonder how many people would even get that far. :/ Also, it would kinda suck to finally get a lucky run through it all and then just hit a brick wall, likely killing off any further curiosity on the spot. Finite credits vs. buying free play is another possibility; but that has it's own set of issues.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Rozyrg wrote:(*cough* BUY IT NOW BUY IT NOW *cough*)
Have done sir! Hope it's good fun! Bought a VGA box for my DC and everything ;)
I'm somewhat conflicted on how to actually sell them, though. My original plan with Megatank was to just cut it off at round 2 for the demo;
2 stages is actually quite long y'know :) I think I made my demo a bit long.... Note that Cave cut their demos off a few moments in to the boss fight. The trick is to get the player invested in the game and then basically just tease. Cut off at a point where they're gonna want more.
facebook: Facebook
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

That's the thing, the whole game is two stages. :lol: .... but they're ~50 waves long each and they get merciless pretty quickly. The idea was to have this really accelerated difficulty curve, like an arcade shooter on 10X turbo or something.

That's probably the best approach, though, I'll just have to carve out a space for it somewhere in there.
n0rtygames wrote:Have done sir!
Sweet, hope you enjoy the game! :mrgreen: I definitely would've done a few things differently had I full reign (keep in mind... overly obsessive, perfectionist control freak talking here); but I'm still very pleased with the results. Their music guy really hit it out of the fucking park, too!
chempop

Post by chempop »

I am enjoying NeoXYX on the Dreamcast. I hope you are satisfied with the release, congratulations man!

btw, I love your sprite art and screenshots in this thread, unfortunately I don't game on my PC so I haven't tried your games before. Despite that, I'm a big fan :wink:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

You really need to start gaming on the PC. Rozyrg's XYX is so beautifully different, Neo XYX is like a Black Label version. :D
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

@chempop Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it! :) My goal was always to go over to console whenever it became a possibility, PC isn't really my native gaming platform either.

I'm really hoping XYX isn't too much of a bitch to port over, although I know it would likely be worth the trouble. >_> Probably a good reason to get started on it soon, in any case.

Megatank v2 is almost done, though, thankfully.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Blaming this squarely on boredom and bad clones. I do already have a boss fight planned out, though. <_<

Thinking I might just have a 'silver label'/budget line for smaller scale stuff, this would fit nicely into that.
mice

Post by mice »

Just kick ass! Now get it to the OUYA store as it is. No boss needed! :D
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

He's already drawn and planned out well enough, so it's not a concern. ;) I also went ahead and took care of backgrounds.

What I'm having a little trouble with is controls, actually. It may not be clear from the video; but there's a 'fast fall' button and another for hovering in addition to jump and shoot. It worked fine with how I had it set up for PC; but it's been tricky finding the right gamepad layout.

In any case, I'll be putting in a key config for ease of testing.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Ugh, thought I'd be done with this thing by now; but nope. Bloody perfectionism. -_-

As of now, there will 5+ 'stages'/waves and a boss at the end. I already had him drawn up; but after a weekend of binging on 80's/90's anime, he was up for a redesign.

I'm hoping to release this alongside Megatank as the first of my 'budget' (probably $1) games.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I hope Akira was one of the 80s anime you watched. You don't dare go through 80s anime and miss Akira. :twisted:
mice

Post by mice »

Silver Fang! So now he looks like a dog?
Really looking forward to it.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Basically, I was going through my old VHS collection and copying as much of the rare and/or OOP stuff as possible to DVDR before I get rid of them. Akira is on the to-do list for the next wave as I really prefer the old (and yes, cheesy) Streamline English dub.

As for the boss, he just got a little weirder thanks to titles like Demon City Shinjuku being in the mix. :mrgreen:

edit: Delays, delays...I finally settled on a Big Core style boss; but the others will still be in there in some form as they're already drawn and planned out. Perfecting the additional 'stages' (which totally abandon the FB stuff right after the first section) is taking me longer than expected, too.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

All 'stage' types are in now (though not all finished and I could easily come up with more later) and the first boss is ~90% done. The game will loop infinitely; but only increase in challenge up to 2 times.

Anyone who wants to take a stab at it (for PC), feel free to PM me. A lot of stuff is still missing, like the title/ title logo, ending and various other fluff material. I'll be hand drawing the cover art(s) for this, Megatank (v2) and Fire Arrow and I might take a stab at some very simple and short b&w illustrated manuals for them too.
nasty_wolverine

any update on Flying V???
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Haven't had the time to mess with it in awhile; but the last thing I did was get the weapons all looking right (aside from the homing bit diamond pattern sort of one) and balanced again, and also get the general movement speed and pace back up. I'm trying to get the more complicated/problematic enemies in first (the Warthog sub-boss was the last one I put in AFAIK), that's one thing that's slowing things down; but I'm also adding as many improvements as possible in too.
Last edited by Rozyrg on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Fair warning - the more I work on the OUYA (and then eventually PC again) version of Flying V, the more different it's turning out as I'm a bit less constrained in terms of how much stuff I can have going on at once as well having a slightly bigger bag of coding tricks at hand. While I'm keeping the general assortment of stuff in each level the same, it's definitely going to be more of a "remix" than a straight port.

Some new additions:

- There is now an alternate type of bombs. They do no damage; but wipe bullets and change any powerups to your equipped weapon. They also do not down rank medals or keep them from spawning like normal ones.
- You can select the unique "Dual" (bit/option having) form of any ship from the title and continue screens
- Before you start a game, you can choose the kind of powerups that will appear: the default being more numerous and giving you access to all weapons, or less common ones that only power up your ship's starting shot.
- Enemies now alternate between shooting purple and green bullets. Purples will change to medals upon completing an enemy wave (assuming you haven't died midway through it), while greens do not. Higher difficulties will have higher concentrations of green, obviously.

Video
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Sooo, I got tapped to do some heavy duty art stuff for a friend's music video project and I'm trying to get some shirt designs done for a collaboration with another friend. The fun train of infinite distractions/side projects never stops; but at least there might be actual money involved for a change. >_>

On the plus side (game dev wise), I finally have a title and some (quite awesome) music for my most recent OUYA experiment.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What's interesting about the Ouya console is that it does have built-in support for the 3D LED/LCD HDTVs out there...upon hooking up a HDMI v1.4 spec cable to a proper 3D HDTV setup, an option comes up (from within the Ouya Display Settings submenu) to adjust the 3D Depth slider from value "0 to 100" (default is at "20" setting). So it's cool to reboot some doujin shmup titles like Genocide Circuit and revisit it as a 3D shmup (even though it was never intended to played in 3D). Although the Ouya instruction manual doesn't mention anything about 3D support, it's there alrighty -- works like a charm regardless if you use an passive 3D glasses or LCD active-shutter type of 3D glasses setup.

So yeah, it'd be cool to try out Flying V in 3D on the Ouya, Rozyrg. It's extra icing on the cake, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I think Genocide Circuit could use working sound first. :lol: (It really could easily be one of the best shmups on the system.)

That's really cool, though. I had no idea the option was there at all. The little Android box is full of surprises, eh?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Still kind of in a game dev limbo (for my own stuff at least); but I've been poking at my Space Harrier clone some, tweaking what little is there and trying to get it to work better in general. Bare-bone 2p mode guts are in, there are now multiple weapons (similar to Burning Force) and I've also thrown in some random silly references to Master System light gun games.

Also, I briefly started messing with my proto beat-em-up thing again and ran into some weird new bugs. Yay. Looking at that and all the stuff it'll take to make it play ready to any degree (lots of animations, squashing loading issues), I'm tempted to just put it aside completely and just aim for something more traditional and less unnecessarily complicated. <_<

In other, still-not-finishing-any-damn-games-yet news, I'm pushing back Thrust'N'Dodge (previously mentioned experimental thingie) a bit more to add even more stuff; but I'm still wanting to have it as one of the first of my games up on OUYA.
mice

Post by mice »

You behind Razion as well? :)

Edit: Ah, rendered. But design wise then?