Show your Tate setup thats not a cab or arcade machine

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
emphatic

Re: Show your Tate setup thats not a cab or arcade machine

Post by emphatic »

Decent! *thumbs up*
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

That rarest of things, a good homemade cab.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Very cool looking, nice work.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

You got a build log of this cab? What is it made out of? I agree. It looks fantastic :!:
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comment, especially from you.

I forgot to mention that I also added a SLG3000 with a on/off switch on the side. The scanline it delivers are really nice for some games.
The screen can seem a little vertical but it is really the right angle when playing.

I unfortunately did not do a step-by-step report at the time. Sorry about that.
It's basically made of MDF, the screen is a PC classic CRT (17" if I recall properly) used in 640x480. The sound comes from a stripped PC audio kit too.
The stick is a Seimitsu LS-32 and the buttons are classic Sanwa. The panel layout is that of an Astro City, my favourite.
The panel is also made of MDF with a plexiglass top to display the artwork. I wanted the artwork old school, though I am no professionnal graphic designer :lol:
The controls just come out as a Sub-D 15, so that you can plug in different hackpads to it made with a compatible connection.
The trapdoor below is on the left so that the XBOX360 tray can come out easily to change the games.

With hours of gameplay, I would need to replace the plexiglass cover which has aged and cracked a little bit. If I were to build another one, I would add 1 or 2 cm depth to the panel for the right hand to lay more comfortably.

I considerated also making it Jamma compatible, but I decided that a proper low-res CRT would be better.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

Thanks for the info. I could have easily mistaken that for a metal cab. I was thinking of doing something similar to that to house a 20in bvm monitor to play pcbs on. But then again, I doubt it would ever turn out as nice.
Jenseits

Post by Jenseits »

Stunning machine! Looks like nothing else and like its style very much.
Congrats for taste and skill!
Kadji

Post by Kadji »

Good old Panasonic, have it for over 10 years, rotated countless of times and still works like a charm (well, the SCART Port (PAL TV) is kinda fuzzy)
chempop

Post by chempop »

plasticxo wrote:Image
Quite likely the best homemade cab I have ever seen. Excellent design!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

Monstermug wrote:Thanks for the info. I could have easily mistaken that for a metal cab. I was thinking of doing something similar to that to house a 20in bvm monitor to play pcbs on. But then again, I doubt it would ever turn out as nice.
They now do some very nice adhesive that look like brushed metal and give an amazing result. They are quite expensive though and difficult to apply (the surface must be perfect). This is what I used for the bezel.

I thought about doing a cab with a BVM too, this would be stunning. But inserting the screen and making it rotating (a shame to have a BVM only in one position...), would need some serious metal work as they weight like 40kg alone...

@chempop : many, many thanks. I am no professional woodworker, but I tried to keep the essence of candy cabs in mind when doing it. The speaker part could have been better integrated in the shape, but again, I was limited with my skills.
Stealthlurker

Post by Stealthlurker »

Very, very nice plasticxo!

A friend of mine that does cosplay and makes his own costumes told me about a spray plastic. The idea of it is interesting in that it maybe it can be used to give that "plastic" look of a candy cab. Like maybe round out the edges of a custom wood cab and put a couple coats of this over it. Would love to make a SEGA Astro City bartop/tabletop this way...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I thought about doing a cab with a BVM too, this would be stunning. But inserting the screen and making it rotating (a shame to have a BVM only in one position...), would need some serious metal work as they weight like 40kg alone...
a friend of mine is working on this right now. He's building a steel-add-on to make the whole BVM chassis exactly as wide (in tate) as high. This way he can build a cab around with a "square hole" where the monitor just slides into. You still need two people to change the monitor's orientation, but it's seems easy and the BVM is very rewarding when it comes to attaching additional steel parts to the existing framework.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Decided that as I hadn't done it before I would try my U2410 in tate mode after rewiring my desk so I had enough cable slack.

http://i.imgur.com/OZvP7fW.jpg

Beats playing ports on a small tated CRT! :shock:
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Just finished setting up my tower of power:

Tate side:

Yoko side, was on a bit of lean to avoid toppling over some mini mvs carts towers:

And last a HD side, which I can tate as well..

I just finish placing the stuff and will do some wiring up tonight. All seismic safe as Wellington gets rocked by a couple of earthquakes on a regular basis.
West

Post by West »

Here's my tate setup. New projector for hori games and my old projector for tate games. Works pretty well but would love space for a proper crt someday.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me how to get mame/my computer monitor working in tate position?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

West wrote:Image
Broken image link.
Immryr wrote:Can anyone tell me how to get mame/my computer monitor working in tate position?
Do you mean the physical rotating of the screen itself, or how to change the video output?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

haha, i know how to turn a monitor round, i already have a crt tv tated in my living room in a very ghetto fashion. i just don't know how to change the video output so it shows tated. i assumed it would just be in the display properties somewhere when i right click the desk top. i can't see it in there though.... i wasn't sure if there was a setting in mame which would do this for me, kind of like selecting the tate mode in a console port?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

When you've started a game in MAME, press TAB to bring up the main menu, choose VIDEO OPTIONS and there should be a ROTATE option. Change it from Default (non rotated).

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ah great, thanks. i knew there must be a way to do it. it would be nice if i could make my video output change to portrait outside of MAME, but i suspect my graphics card doesn't support it.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Immryr wrote:ah great, thanks. i knew there must be a way to do it. it would be nice if i could make my video output change to portrait outside of MAME, but i suspect my graphics card doesn't support it.
Easy enough to check. Go to your desktop, right click, choose graphics options - rotation.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

it's an old computer running xp, i don't have that option there and i can't find a similar one within the display properties. sorry, i didn't mean to derail this thread so much with my technical inadequacies - i'll post of picture of my ghetto tate, crt on the floor set up later :D

-final edit- i fixed it!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

and here it is, my ghetto crt on the floor set up.

http://imgur.com/TLSBXeq

while the picture on that tv is not exactly amazing, the photo is making it seem more washed out and blurry than it is....
Arcade_At_Home

Post by Arcade_At_Home »

A lot of great setup here!
i really don't like LCDs (i play vert shmups on my cab)
but i'm rearranging my living room and i'd like to be able to rotate my 40" lcd
can someone please tell me which wall mount stand can i use (brand, model)??
thanks
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Here is my TATE setup :mrgreen:

Consisting of a Pioneer PDP-V402 (40" 4:3 Plasma), MAK Strike super gun, Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 arcade stick
The PCB is Mushihimesama Futari v1.5

Very pleased with this setup :D
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Lovely!
cools

Post by cools »

At the other end of the scale:

(Before anyone comments, the monitor has no geometry adjustments beyond horizontal centering)
Immryr wrote:it's an old computer running xp, i don't have that option there and i can't find a similar one within the display properties. sorry, i didn't mean to derail this thread so much with my technical inadequacies - i'll post of picture of my ghetto tate, crt on the floor set up later :D

-final edit- i fixed it!
There's a program called iRotate that should do the job. Watch out though, it uses a key combination that you are very likely to press when using MAME!
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

My new (well old, i got to tate it after they lost interest in it when they got the LEDTV) TATE monster, its a 29 incher.

This will mostly be connected to the PS2. But the PS2 is a bit sick for now, doesnt play anything apart from mushi properly (bad lens i am guessing). Either way, i just remembered that i do have a AV cable for the PSP, so fired up some Raiden DX.
Also, PSP outputs crystal clear 240p for PS1 games.

Toothpaste laser is awesome.

Does Hori too, but its a bitch to flip
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
caincan

Post by caincan »

nearly finally, built my trip dream for Pcb (but some troubles to solve as it's "gbs8220" inside, here it works in Tate.. (jamma, vga scaler, rgb input, 2 external ports, lock sega key, sound control, ...)

nekketsu

Post by nekketsu »

caincan wrote:nearly finally, built my trip dream for Pcb (but some troubles to solve as it's "gbs8220" inside, here it works in Tate.. (jamma, vga scaler, rgb input, 2 external ports, lock sega key, sound control, ...)
That is really sexy