My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Rozyrg

Re: My GM shmups - Last Chance,MEGATANK, Flying V, XYX, ZPF

Post by Rozyrg »

Thanks for the support. :) Yeah, I know the IAP integration is flaky now; but it's a 'let's see when we get there' sort of thing as I can't even mess with it at all yet.

I kinda want to do something fancy and adventurous like an arcade style credits system; but I'd also be fine with a much more straightforward, external 'buy' button like you see on some OUYA games' details page. I have a good hunch that laziness will win out in the end and that will be the course I go with. :lol:
BPzeBanshee wrote:I thought the original trippy music fitted in well considering the clusterfuck of colours that was in it. Keep it in. :D
Definitely. I still love those tracks Raigon did, especially the level 3 tune. Smashing up those trains just wouldn't be the same without it.
railslave wrote:MORE DIFFICULT?? ARE YOU INSANE!! :p
:mrgreen:
Other, reasonable settings won't be a problem to add in, I just want to provide a proper, nose bloodying arcade experience for all first comers.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Why not do both? In-app system for game credits/misc other things like Crimzon Clover and outright purchase of the game. :D
dark

Post by dark »

Is the new ng dev title going to be based on another of your prior games?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Nope, brand new. At the most, we might carry some fx stuff over.
BPzeBanshee wrote:Why not do both?
It just depends on how fiddly the IAP stuff is to integrate in game. From what I understand, the external 'buy' option would require no more than a single receipt check on startup, making it the easier/lazy option.

Also, I know some people prefer having the option to buy clear as crystal when they're browsing through games and are turned off by the possibility of the dev constantly shaking an IAP begging cup in their face. Understandable I guess..
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

railslave wrote: a Taster

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/od9zlka ... nagain.mp3

Expect it to get nastier, harder and technicaly , very fast ..
^ this is awesome!
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Indeed it is! :mrgreen: It's almost too good/intense/badass for what I have so far.

I've finally got TATE working.:D I had to put in huge chunky borders to get it to not stretch the game window to shit when not rotated; but I'm going to try to make use of that extra space as best as possible. What's odd is that GM:S seems to cause an odd stutter when running an android game in portrait mode. It was the worst as soon as I had put scrolling backgrounds back in; but then I noticed the game ran fairly smoother once I had set it back to the standard display mode.

I noticed something else odd, too. Earlier this week, I was testing the game on my folks' set (an older 4:3 hdtv) and noticed it seemed to just leave it at it's default resolution (450X600) without trying to scale it up at all.

edit: I like the borders more than I thought I would, so I'm working on some border art... and also a special mode with checkpoints <_<
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Updates for FV (v.5/OUYA remix/whatever)
  • - Customizable controls for both pad and keys are in
    - Checkpoints are in. There will be a separate mode (called Punish!) for these, don't worry. ;)
    - Border art is in: right now I'm using the old unfinished Chronoblast ones as stand-ins. The PC version will have an option to turn border displays off completely; but I'm getting fairly attached to them, honestly.
There won't be a huge graphics overhaul; but I've already gone in and tweaked the title logo and a few other things, so more might follow. There might also be a 5th level, assuming I don't just amalgamate those ideas into an existing one. Like I said before, though, the levels might end up being drastically different in this version anyways.
mice

Post by mice »

You know, an OUYA apk would be a great xmas gift... :wink:
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Well, I can finally afford the module, so we'll see. >_>
railslave

Post by railslave »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SG3cBfZ9DE#t=733

Just watching that

I truly hope you had gold, frankincense and myrrh this Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

It's honestly kind of weird seeing all that stuff in motion finally.. O_O (DC version can't come fast enough...)

Here's a border I'm currently working on for FV:
There's some scaling issues running this on my laptop, apologies for that. It isn't quite so pixelly, honest.

I have a few pilot portraits inked for more of these, I just need to shade/color them in. I'll probably have some more generic looking borders as well: just using game sprites and any other old art I care to dig up. >_>
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

New video evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEvBi9Wtvo

Thanks goes to mice for the footage and railslave for the music! :)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

More OUYA testing goodness thanks to mice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gmK8pjvhY

My little Space Harrier clone is making it over too. Dunno when I'll have time to really get back into it; but the base code is up and running with some minor improvements:

>You can now aim somewhat with the right analog stick
>Horizontal scrolling is back in (ala SH)
>2p is a possibility

Also, if anyone has any ideas for a name, please let me know. As time has proven over and over again, I'm bloody awful at coming up with them! :D
railslave

Post by railslave »

Rozyrg wrote: Also, if anyone has any ideas for a name, please let me know. As time has proven over and over again, I'm bloody awful at coming up with them! :D

Super Rozyrg world ( 3D )?
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

:mrgreen:

That's kind of the problem, I can only think of things that sound like the titles of games I'm directly aping here.

Space Harrier
Galaxy Force ][
3D World Runner
Burning Force

etc..
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Hahahaha, now we're cooking. :lol: Along the same lines, it could also be Lysergyx; but that might be too obvious.

Not shmup related whatsoever; but I've been playing around with something that's definitely outside the norm for me...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like my other experimental stuff, it might not go much further than this; but who knows. ;)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Last Chance is now up and running on OUYA, bumped it up to 60 FPS as well. :)

It's still no closer to be being finished; but it's easy demo fodder if I decide I just want something up there.
mice

Post by mice »

Now you did it again, updated a post so I missed it completely! (that bone anim thing) :P
Don't do it! (do the anim tool, that is)

Use Spriter:
http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm

and then run the animations in GM using this:
http://www.brashmonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=536

At least look into it (I don't know how good that GM API is).
I made the mistake of doing my own anim tool and it lacks a lot of features and I'm sure you will be wanting new features to your tool as well. And then you'll end up just supporting your tool, and you shouldn't...you should create stuff for us to play. ;)
But I'll admit it, it's fun to do a tool like this.
railslave

Post by railslave »

Rozyrg wrote:Last Chance is now up and running on OUYA, bumped it up to 60 FPS as well. :)

It's still no closer to be being finished; but it's easy demo fodder if I decide I just want something up there.

You just sold a video game system!!
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Rozyrg wrote: Also, if anyone has any ideas for a name, please let me know. As time has proven over and over again, I'm bloody awful at coming up with them! :D
Super Final Assault: Redrain
I am more fluid since I am drunk
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

nasty_wolverine wrote:Super Final Assault: Redrain
Hey, it's a start!

@mice

thanks for the tip; but it's already quite useable. Animating isn't the problem, it's the slowness of loading/saving the data via .ini. Part of that is likely GM and the other part is likely my own inefficiency in dealing with moving around fat chunks of data (a whole whopping 100k!.) Whatever it ends up being (arcade brawler is preferable), I want it to be free for anyone to mess with; but simply hardcoding some of the animations in isn't out of the question to bypass loading snafus.

That's more or less the route I took with LC... the level maps (gfx only) were built with a homebrew tool like this and then I just stuck what was spit out straight into the game's code. Speaking of LC, I also built Giga Knight and the paths for the snakes with specialized mini 'apps', too.

I'll be making another video not too much later, I've already made some quite silly fatalities. :lol:

@railslave Maybe when I actually have a finished game for it. ;)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

railslave wrote:You just sold a video game system!!
If only it had VGA out. :(
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Kind of the flip side of having such a tiny, light little console, sadly. I think it could use more video outputs in general, several extra USB slots and a dedicated (wired) controller plug too. And better bluetooth antennas all around...

Don't worry, though, these will likely come back over to PC just due to the added joys of GMS's built in gamepad support. With LC specifically, I did have to hack out a lot of mouse specific code just to avoid potential conflicts with the OUYA's touchpad; but aside from from maybe removing IAP checks, the rest shouldn't require much extra work.

I'm thinking I'll probably just bundle the 4 (or 5, hopefully) on the slate now together as ~10$ donationware whenever they're done.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

thanks for the tip; but it's already quite useable. Animating isn't the problem, it's the slowness of loading/saving the data via .ini. Part of that is likely GM and the other part is likely my own inefficiency in dealing with moving around fat chunks of data (a whole whopping 100k!.) Whatever it ends up being (arcade brawler is preferable), I want it to be free for anyone to mess with; but simply hardcoding some of the animations in isn't out of the question to bypass loading snafus.
INI File support in Game Maker can be quite slow: I would've thought it'd be improved significantly in GM:Studio though. There is a DLL that exists to do INI support bypassing GM's engine variant which does the file read/writes a LOT faster, Taizen Chisou uses it in some of his games if I recall correctly. :wink:
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Awesome, I'll have to look into that. :)

This thing is running on bog standard GM8, as all of my 'toys' like this do. Studio can really drag it's feet when compiling, which isn't the best when I need to rapid-fire test/fix things and that's pretty much the whole point of making stuff like this. Studio also obnoxiously forces all .ini files to be in an annoyingly difficult-to-find subfolder. :/

Doubt I'll be treading those waters until there's actually some gameplay to test out, anyways.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I'm almost regretting putting Last Chance on the OUYA roster, everything else just feels sooooo slow in comparison.

Progress has been equally slow all around - I've been balancing weapons and bullet patterns in FV mostly; but at least my little animation toy hasn't imploded or caught fire yet. I'm damn near tearing my hair just trying to fix the save data management bit I built into it, though.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I think Last Chance is finally approaching a somewhat sane difficulty level, adjusting for lack of mouse control and increase in FPS. I finally have some more awesome music for it now, too (thanks, smasher.) ;)

Flying V is coming (back) together reaaaally slowly, though. I think I've got the basic stuff fairly well balanced so the next big steps will just be rebuilding all the enemies and then reconstructing the levels. Should be fun.

I already hate my border art and want to totally redo it, though. Goddammit.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Hi, I've just discovered your work, and I just wanted to tell you it's really fun and the style is unique and retro. I downloaded the demo for The Last Chance, and was immediately hooked. I connected my arcade stick and just played it for about half an hour. It was very difficult. It took me many tries and much effort just to complete the demo level.
Rozyrg wrote:I think Last Chance is finally approaching a somewhat sane difficulty level
Has the demo been updated with the new difficulty level? Or was I trying out an old build? I downloaded the Last Chance demo from the first post of this thread.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! :mrgreen:

I was speaking of the future OUYA port. The FPS has been bumped up from 45 to full 60, so just imagine the game 1/3 faster and there you go, adjustments needed across the board. There's also the lack of mouse control: I mean, you CAN use the OUYA's shitty little touchpad to the same end ; but it's practically useless for anything that isn't a menu with gigantic buttons.

Whenever it's done, it'll be coming back to PC, though... with all the additions and improvements.