The WORST Shooter you have ever played...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

CIT wrote:
Twiddle wrote:What the fuck is that shit?
D-Force, can't you read?
No, I mean what things are some of those pictures supposed to represent?
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

It may be the title, but is no proper explanation.

The real sad part is I'm sure people familiar with obscure 80s arcade shooters, Commodore stuff, etc. can think up even worse games.
No, I mean what things are some of those pictures supposed to represent?
Any particular image troubling you? Bottom right one is a stone figure after a spiralling crash.
CIT

Post by CIT »

IMO, the system with the most really, really bad shooters is the PC-Engine.

It's the system with the most shooters, so I guess it just comes with the territory that there would be so many bad ones.

Of course there are many more shooters for arcade, but usually arcade shooters don't turn out as bad, because developers are under greater pressure to make a good game, as people will realize after one credit if they're playing a piece of shit.

Not so with console shooters though. There you only realize after it's too late, and you already plunked down $30 for crap like Curse, just because you thought the cover looks so cool. :lol:
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Rob wrote:It may be the title, but is no proper explanation.

The real sad part is I'm sure people familiar with obscure 80s arcade shooters, Commodore stuff, etc. can think up even worse games.
Yes, but they are really too many to mention them all. Most developers didn't have a clue, so there's a depressingly huge amount of crappy shooting games for both the C64 and the Amiga, so it's better to pick out the very few gems and dismiss all the rest as crap, simple as that.

I'll throw in BOOM!, though. It's perhaps the rarest shooter made for the C64, but, boy, does it suck. That it hasn't any value as a collector's item despite its rarity says a lot. It's just incredibly badly implemented.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Legion on the PC engine CD......

actual quote from the game.... "picking their frozen nose hairs"

your ship looked like a thing of lipstick
Rob

Post by Rob »

Strider77 wrote: your ship looked like a thing of lipstick
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rob wrote:Any particular image troubling you? Bottom right one is a stone figure after a spiralling crash.
Okay, now what is the title screen?
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

elvis wrote: Just as you and others have referred to, there's the even split of DDP or Ikaruga lovers/haters. But Sol Divide is one I'm quite honestly surprised to find even one fan of. If anything, that only makes me want to sit down and play it some more to find out exactly what the appeal is. We still have the PCB in storage, despite the fact that we've been trying to sell it for over 6 months, and haven't even been offered $10 for it.
Please mind your language, i am only kidding and Recap is the only fan of Sol Divide that i know of, this should tell a lot of things :lol: :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Talk of 'elementary logic' in game design, while probably not completely misplaced, does not tend to gel well with the concept of personal preferences. Something might be well-made, might play well and still not be someone's cup of tea. Opposite end, Captain Blood (not a shooter) for example, is an extremely awkwardly made game, and still one of my favourites. If I were to approach it with 'elementary logic' in game design, I should hate it, but I don't. There's other things that can work or not work for you in a game besides it's gameplay system, like the aesthetic concept, the artistic execution or what have you.

So I don't think someone should use 'logic' as his highground to tell other people off for their likes and dislikes in this thread. Just because someone says 'this is the worst shooter I've played' it doesn't follow that his claim has any objective weight, it's just a preference, and as such cannot be judged against your preference. It can be compared, but that's a far tamer thing.

Maybe some of the confusion in this thread occurs because a truly awful game isn't played for more than 3 minutes and then is quickly forgotten. So most mentions here seem to fall in the category of 'I wish/once thought it was good, but it's not!', like the disappointing Sol Divide.

There's so, so many completely awful c64 shooters. Even very well-known games like Blood Money play rubbish.
WINTERKILL
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Helm wrote:Talk of 'elementary logic' in game design, while probably not completely misplaced, does not tend to gel well with the concept of personal preferences.
It would help not to dis games for silly reasons though. Again, i don't like Ikaruga but i would never put it together with a game like Blazeon, which is poorly programmed. It's a li'l step that takes very basic reasoning and has an ever-lasting effect on a social plane (i.e. no people getting pissed off because one disses a well-done game out of the blue :wink: ).

I go by the principle that with a bit of rationality many discourses would be 100 times less stressing and flame-oriented. It would also be helpful in not misunderstanding topics: this is the "worst game", not "the game i like the least". It takes just a pinch of wisdom to discern between subjective and objective, unless one really wants to buy non-sensical post-modern theories of course!
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Helm

Post by Helm »

unless one really wants to buy non-sensical post-modern theories of course!
I have the urge to proclaim how sorry I am that I do, to degrees, see the points pm makes about lingual semiotics and the lack of objectivity as an inherent probability in communication, but hey, that's not the kind of topic this is.

Still
"worst game", not "the game i like the least"
These mean the same thing, as it is a matter of preference, not hard science, and even if it were hard science it would still be an open debate due to epistemological uncertainty. One that says - as you said before - 'gravity exists' does not preempt any dissenting opinion on what gravity is, and if it is to continue to exist dependably blah blah blah sorry to take it this far.

The shifting of the burden of truth from ourselves to some theoretical happy pink flamengo when we say 'this is bad' instead of 'this is not something I like' is a simple one to deconstruct (I'm sorry) to absurdity if needed be and so on.
It would help not to dis games for silly reasons though.
That would help not hurt any feelings, yes. It would also help if people tried not to get their feelings hurt when other people say they don't have the same preferences as them.
WINTERKILL
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Helm wrote:It would also help if people tried not to get their feelings hurt when other people say they don't have the same preferences as them.
Would you object if I (eventually) sigged that?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Helm wrote:[

I have the urge to proclaim how sorry I am that I do, to degrees, see the points pm makes about lingual semiotics and the lack of objectivity as an inherent probability in communication, but hey, that's not the kind of topic this is.
It's about time to study some semantics, it can make wonders to increase one's understanding about these issues!

Still
One that says - as you said before - 'gravity exists' does not preempt any dissenting opinion on what gravity is, and if it is to continue to exist dependably blah blah blah sorry to take it this far.
No prob, see above.

That would help not hurt any feelings, yes. It would also help if people tried not to get their feelings hurt when other people say they don't have the same preferences as them.
Which is a different problem in being completely clueless and stating that a game is bad just because you never go out of your basement and buy Derrida! But then again, Boole is like the Martini, an acquired taste. This forum needs an entry test on Gamut (1991), i think...
BM wrote:
Would you object if I (eventually) sigged that?
Ban Plz, you even like Cotton, pfah!
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Haha, this thread's turning into some linguisitic fest, I like it!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Randorama wrote:Ban Plz, you even like Cotton, pfah!
I must hold the record for "most ban requests" by now. :mrgreen: Dunno what your problem is with Cotton, at least its use of command motions makes a lot more sense than Batsugun's. :P And if you disagree I'll send my pixie mafia over there to rough you up! ;)
Most of us who've been here awhile are pretty used to it by now, heh heh.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Randorama wrote:Ban Plz, you even like Cotton, pfah!
I must hold the record for "most ban requests" by now. :mrgreen: Dunno what your problem is with Cotton, at least its use of command motions makes a lot more sense than Batsugun's. :P And if you disagree I'll send my pixie mafia over there to rough you up! ;)
Impossible!!1! Batsugun is perfect and thus the ultimate truth, this is a scientifical fact proven by its awesomeness (?)

Beside that, Cotton 2 and Boomerang have rank, now you're supposed to bash them for this, and i am supposed to harass you because you're an infidel. Let me check when the half time is due, though...
Local drama is top-notch quality and well-educated, of course :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Randorama wrote:Beside that, Cotton 2 and Boomerang have rank, now you're supposed to bash them for this, and i am supposed to harass you because you're an infidel. Let me check when the half time is due, though...
Ah, my apologies, I've been lax in my duties, carry on then. Though I honestly have no freakin' idea how the rank works in the Cotton games (it must be a bit of an oddball, considering that enemy formations, HP, etc. have to be "set" in order for the chains and such to work), and probably never will, because no one else cares enough about them to analyze them very closely, heh heh.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Wow, this thread mutated into another of Rando's speech in defense of rationality (which is rather irrational in itself: does a thing like reason need fanatism around it?). Now it really sinks among the worst threads evah.

Remember guys, it's the same rationality that will lead you to avoid literature because it doesn't stimulate the brain.

;) ^__^
X - P - B
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:Let me check when the half time is due, though...
You're supposed to headbutt people during the last ten minutes of extra time, by the way. ^_-
OMG, ITS THE THOUGHT POLICE!
Quick, hide your manga!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Rando's defense of rationality isn't 100% serious. It's nice to see there's a human being who jokes behind the "guy who doesn't have friends and a social life" (Ya know I am not serious about it :) )

Now where the heck is the rank in Cotton Boomerang? I never noticed it either.

Yeah, it's a shame no one ever looked deep into Cotton Boomerang. I think I'll deprive myself of my social life and will lock myself in the basement for 2 years to completely understand Cotton Boomerang. :D
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Oh, I'm half-serious as well :P besides, we're a lovely bunch of friendly flower children here). Let's all hug together. ^_^
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Twiddle wrote:
Rob wrote:Any particular image troubling you? Bottom right one is a stone figure after a spiralling crash.
Okay, now what is the title screen?
The 'copter flying into the screen at title. Not an entirely fair screen to take, but I hate those predictable SNES intros. Something's always flying into the screen... because... it can!
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Silpheed for TRS-80 was pure dreck. Probably no one else here has played it but I'm just saying. Avoid.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Turrican wrote:Wow, this thread mutated into another of Rando's speech in defense of rationality (which is rather irrational in itself: does a thing like reason need fanatism around it?).

You also need some boole cure, i see. Trust me! Georgie B. wrote excellent fairy tales! Maybe you'll stop asking for fairy-telling in Gradius! Or perhaps you'll grow up beyond 5 and stop being proud of the dust on your collection!

For the the alphabetized: I actually need to confess my sins.

Mega Force by Taito is honestly an horrible game. I wonder what the hell were they thinking when they did that. And there's even Mr. Chack in it...no links to screen, i want to preserve your sanity -___-;
Helm

Post by Helm »

It's about time to study some semantics, it can make wonders to increase one's understanding about these issues!
Hah, whatever you say. I'll study the workings of language, a tool created so fishermen can seel fish, and from therewithin I will reach deeper understanding about the objective, undeniable life truths, that are uh, about. Do I give you money now or something?
Which is a different problem in being completely clueless and stating that a game is bad just because you never go out of your basement and buy Derrida! But then again, Boole is like the Martini, an acquired taste. This forum needs an entry test on Gamut (1991), i think...
I don't know what this forum needs. What you might need, and I hope you'll allow me the space to make suggestions since you did me the courtesy of... urging me towards semantics, not to mention presumed about my time spent in my basement (I prefer to call it 'my dungeon'), is a, if not friendlier, more polite attitude towards strangers! It's a good idea.
BM wrote: Would you object if I (eventually) sigged that?
I wouldn't object, but I don't see how it's anything important. Does this forum really suffer so much from hurt feelings over people not loving the same things all the time?
WINTERKILL
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Helm wrote:
Hah, whatever you say. I'll study the workings of language, a tool created so fishermen can seel fish, and from therewithin I will reach deeper understanding about the objective, undeniable life truths, that are uh, about. Do I give you money now or something?
No, that's religion, i think you've got things mixed up a bit. I represent understanding and truth conditions, ok, but without mentioning Hume (Queneau-like joke!), i don't go around bragging about it, so to speak (else Hans Kamp would head-butt me, i think :?). Honestly though: it's me, not the "forum" , in case. You may find merry pranksters who would approve of any lack of rationality whatsoever and make comparisons between genocides and people disliking Treasure games.

But let's not invoke rationality when seeing such comments, it would be too extremist!

So, what's the worst shmup you have played?
DEL

SNES - Blazeon too

Post by DEL »

Alright I'll take the bait - Rob does indeed win it with D-Force.

I remember wasting $50.00 on it from 4Guys store in Manhattan :evil:

It sucked! too short, too shit.

Plus I remember the back cover of the US box stating;
"We don't want to hear any complaints. this game is.........etc"
I should have seen that pathetic disclaimer as a Big Warning Sign!

So, partly my fault I guess :roll:
Helm

Post by Helm »

No, that's religion, i think you've got things mixed up a bit.
Very possible, thanks for pointing that out to me.
I represent understanding and truth conditions
I represent HEAVY METAL. Nice to meet.
You may find merry pranksters who would approve of any lack of rationality whatsoever and make comparisons between genocides and people disliking Treasure games.
That sounds awesome to me. My kind of place. I like analytical philosophy, positivism, your whole deal (possibly), but I've also learned to laugh at it. Sorry if that offends.

The worst shooter I've played I probably don't remember. A game I really wanted to be good but turned out to disappoint me on most levels and has left me with an enduring bad taste would be Delta for the c64.
WINTERKILL
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

The absurdity in this place is starting to reach critical mass. And I like it. Good thing I'm taking screenshots.

Answering your question Rando: Hotdog Storm. Dear god. I would have said Storm Blade, but back when it was the current #shmups competition, I had fun cracking the second loop on it. I've already said Fuzzy Shooting, and that one is so bad its good. And Silpheed The Lost Planet.
CIT

Post by CIT »

I'm gonna keep track of this thread, and see what 10 bad shooters get mentioned the most, or get the most attention, then I will open a poll-thread so we can determine the official shmups forum worst shmup ever!

So next time a topic like this comes up we can just mention that one shmup and be done with.

And no, I'm not going to put recognized good shmups like Gunbird or Psyvariar 2, that some people mentioned out of spite, up for vote - true bad shmups only, as recognized by the collective subjectivity of every gamer.