XOP Ultra and XOP Black Ultra thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Re: XOP, a 2D shooter

Post by Udderdude »

@z0mbie90: There were actually plans to port it to DC, but it did not work out. I would not have been pleased with having the older 2002 version on there, anyway.

@Demetori: Glad you like it, I don't know what's up with Wine under MacOS X. I have a Mac laptop here so maybe I could bug test it myself, but .. that would be a project for another time.

One of the biggest issues I felt with XOP Black was the lack of enemy variety. In XOP, there were on average 8 unique enemies per level. In XOP Black this was down to 6, and some levels only had 5 different enemy types. Ouch. This led to levels that were really somewhat monotonous after the midboss, as you were basically just fighting the same shit from before (And then add in another loop .. oh boy). Obviously, this had to be rectified.

I went back and added 22 new enemies across the existing 9 levels for a total of 86 enemy types (Note that total is including the new level, and the midboss/bosses are not included). That's a lot of fucking enemies! But the levels feel like they take less time because you aren't killing the same damn things for the entire length of them.

http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/xopBlackNew/ I'm in ur XOP Black, addin sum varieties :3 (Edit: Added new level enemies)

(Note: Maelstrom Bouncer is actually not a new enemy, but a new graphic for the same enemy, since the original graphic wasn't very good. If you look closely you can see the Maelstrom Popcorn 2 is actually the original Maelstrom Bouncer sprite, except now in popcorn form)
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

boring, needs walls
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

There are walls?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I considered adding walls to the new level, just to troll everyone (And so both courses have a level with goddamn walls all over it), but I probably won't.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

rainbows!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Udderdude wrote:I considered adding walls to the new level, just to troll everyone (And so both courses have a level with goddamn walls all over it), but I probably won't.
Hell yeah, walls!
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Udderdude wrote:@z0mbie90: There were actually plans to port it to DC, but it did not work out. I would not have been pleased with having the older 2002 version on there, anyway.
Thats a little bit sad, but hey we got on PC anyway :D Also it would be cool with a tate mode, something thats can be done?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

@jonny5: XOP White mode was canned due to time constraints (And the only magical unicorn I had working for me quit)

@Ghegs: Ok, maybe a few walls ;P

@z0mbie90: The latest version does have Tate mode. And it's in the Options menu this time.

Now it's time to play .. spot the midboss. He is under there somewhere, I swear :P

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Udderdude wrote:@jonny5: XOP White mode was canned due to time constraints (And the only magical unicorn I had working for me quit)
I iz disappoint. :(
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Awsome can't wait for it to come 8) Are you planing on do some more games after XOP?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

@z0mbie90: Yes I'm going to make XOP G after this, with art from Gryzor/Rozyog.

Boss with tanks rolling out of it. Gogo tanks!

z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Cool, love XYX art 8)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I love those tanks!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I has a badly made intro .. >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-Yq46amlw

mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Udderdude wrote:I has a badly made intro .. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-Yq46amlw
Nah-it's kinda gothic and sexy :D
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

It needs more 80's anime art with villains ripped straight out of Voltron. 8)

Seriously, though, it's functional and looks great. :)
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

XOP Black new stage 4 preview ( on insane-mode )

fuck you editing-software why cannot you edit correctly
ImageImage
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The XOP (original) Intro may or may not contain generic anime villians/characters. >_>

In other news .. I added music display. Now you can see amazing track names like this :

Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

This game is magical-awesome, Sir. Please keep up the good work!
".... that would be rubbish."
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm not dead yet! Well, not entirely. Added a new effect to the EX1 level, it's a static effect that constantly changes like TV static. It's applied to every enemy in the level, but most noticeable on larger enemies like the boss.

More changes: Insane mode (now renamed to Master) isn't more bullets being fired, instead the enemies fire more rapidly. The bullet cancelling when you reflect shield has also been removed, but still lives on in Cancel mode and the new Doom mode. Also, the previous secret boss you'd get on Insane is now a regular midboss in the last stage of the EX course. He also no longer collapses your reflect shields or becomes invincible after you die. That doesn't mean his shot patterns have gotten any easier, though .. D: I reused the music for that fight in some of the other boss fights.
Last edited by Udderdude on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Just discovered this thread (only took me 5 years.) Just wanted to mention that I played XOP way back! Probably when it was first released--it would have been early 2000's. Figured I'd never see this game again.

Edit: Messed around with black. Lots of fun!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

tinotormed wrote:Mmmmm... gory shmupping goodness!
Yeah, I'd rather have this than the overly disgusting Psyche Metal any day. That game is too disturbing for my tastes.

... I really hate Psyche Metal, can't stress this enough.
".... that would be rubbish."
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Release imminent, preview trailer maded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoWaiM15lw

I'm pretty much exausted and the months have gone by like a blur, been working on these updates since mid December and refused to release it until I'm 100% satsifed with it. Seems like that's finally arriving soon. Yay!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Udderdude wrote:Release imminent, preview trailer maded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoWaiM15lw

I'm pretty much exausted and the months have gone by like a blur, been working on these updates since mid December and refused to release it until I'm 100% satsifed with it. Seems like that's finally arriving soon. Yay!
That looks badass! Love the music as well.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
silkworm944

Post by silkworm944 »

Great work on XOP and XOP Black Udderdude - both awesome shmups! Really looking forward to the new game.

Cheers :D
captpain

Post by captpain »

Enjoying both XOP and XOP Black a lot.

Could you make it so when you press escape in-game, that if you press escape again instead of pressing Y or N it goes BACK to the game, rather than aborting your game? That's how escape menus work in most other games so it's bitten me in the ass a few times (aborting a game back to the main menu when my game/muscle memory led me to press escape a second time to close the menu).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Glad you're enjoying it. Actually, in most doujin shmups, pressing escape immediately quits the entire game with no prompts. So this is prob. a better solution than that.

Pressing P (pause) twice instead of ESC will do what you're looking for.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Udderdude wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. Actually, in most doujin shmups, pressing escape immediately quits the entire game with no prompts. So this is prob. a better solution than that.

Pressing P (pause) twice instead of ESC will do what you're looking for.
Pressing escape to quit instantly drives me crazy too :P

If you're going to have an escape menu, then why not make it function as expected (in the same vein as other menus of the same type)? I dunno, this is such a non-issue compared to the actual quality of the game -- I'm just thinking out loud.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm still a bit paranoid about issues with releasing it w/o a release candidate phase, so here it is, XOP Black Ultra RC1. This is the first public test version, hopefully the last as well. If there's no issues, expect a full release soon after.

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/download/xo ... traRC1.zip