Custom Sticks Thread!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Animaitor

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by Animaitor »

Hey xavierjesus, post some pics of the vagina-stick if you ever finish it!!
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

My Dai-Fukkatsu stick.

Modded Madcatz TE with modded Suzo 500 joystick.
Art done in photoshop and then laminated and glued.

Thanks to Emphatic and RetroSteff for helping with the custom shaft.
Thanks to Elixir for the cave combat picture.

Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

That is pretty damn sweet. I especially love the button art and the crazy Frankenstein Suzo stick. That's probably the most detail I've seen put into fine-tuning the playability of a stick so far.

So I was thinking about getting a Suzo 500 myself for my next stick I build. How does yours compare to a stock 500 and an LS-32? I've only been using an LS-32 so it would be nice to get an idea of what the modded and stock 500 feel like.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Wow monouchi, that stick is sick. If you ever decide to pass it up, I'd definitely be interested in buying it. I've always wanted to try a Suzo.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Schrodinger's cat wrote:That is pretty damn sweet. I especially love the button art and the crazy Frankenstein Suzo stick. That's probably the most detail I've seen put into fine-tuning the playability of a stick so far.

So I was thinking about getting a Suzo 500 myself for my next stick I build. How does yours compare to a stock 500 and an LS-32? I've only been using an LS-32 so it would be nice to get an idea of what the modded and stock 500 feel like.
Thanks!
The difference from stock 500 is mostly the heat shrink tubing. (Makes the movement for the shaft more precise.) (Can be done in better ways i think?)
Otherwise its lots of different parts because of the custom shaft. (that also sits lower than stock 500)

Stock 500 is very close to mine, I was really impressed first time I got my Suzo 500 and tested in a shmup (Mushi Futari)
I also bought a LS-32, LS-40 and LS-55 Seimitsu sticks but the Suzo 500 beat those easily.

@Elixir:
hey, thanks for the CAVE pic!
Uhm, I just finished it...I really really cant sell it now... :P :wink:
And yeah, go try a Suzo, I tried loads of sanwas, happs and seimitsus...the suzo had them all for breakfast.

I wonder how the suzo inductive feesl like... 8)
Schrodinger's cat

monouchi wrote:Thanks!
The difference from stock 500 is mostly the heat shrink tubing. (Makes the movement for the shaft more precise.) (Can be done in better ways i think?)
Otherwise its lots of different parts because of the custom shaft. (that also sits lower than stock 500)

Stock 500 is very close to mine, I was really impressed first time I got my Suzo 500 and tested in a shmup (Mushi Futari)
I also bought a LS-32, LS-40 and LS-55 Seimitsu sticks but the Suzo 500 beat those easily.
Thanks for the valuable info! It seems like there's nothing but love for the 500 on this forum so I'll definitely have to try it out sometime.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

monouchi wrote:I wonder how the suzo inductive feesl like... 8)
I would take the 500 over the Inductive any time. The Inductive have a very well defined 8 way gate though. The only thing that I think could be improved with your stick now is to have the shaft just a little bit shorter, or perhaps it just looks very long in your picture. As I have the exact same type of custom shaft, I know. :D I've mounted my 500 quite deep below my EGRET II panel plate though, but it's still somewhat long.

Did you use the stock switches that came with your 500, or did you consider upgrading them to some nice Omron ones, or these:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/inde ... cts_id=328

That stick is indeed sick!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

monouchi wrote:@Elixir:
hey, thanks for the CAVE pic!
Uhm, I just finished it...I really really cant sell it now... :P :wink:
And yeah, go try a Suzo, I tried loads of sanwas, happs and seimitsus...the suzo had them all for breakfast.
I didn't mean right now, I meant if you get bored of it or are in need of money, let me get first dibs.

I can't exactly try out a Suzo since they're difficult to mount without getting a custom stick done. I don't know of anyone who does that sort of thing.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

emphatic wrote:
monouchi wrote:I wonder how the suzo inductive feesl like... 8)
I would take the 500 over the Inductive any time. The Inductive have a very well defined 8 way gate though. The only thing that I think could be improved with your stick now is to have the shaft just a little bit shorter, or perhaps it just looks very long in your picture. As I have the exact same type of custom shaft, I know. :D I've mounted my 500 quite deep below my EGRET II panel plate though, but it's still somewhat long.

Did you use the stock switches that came with your 500, or did you consider upgrading them to some nice Omron ones, or these:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/inde ... cts_id=328

That stick is indeed sick!
Yeah, it sits a little higher than a LS-32, but I did lower it as much as I can, the stick shaft has 1mm before it hits the bottom of the stick. :P
And I am ok with it.
Wow, adjustable switches...i should not have seen that. :?

Heres the "metal" edition.
..the metal ball is cool but too heavy.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Elixir wrote: I didn't mean right now, I meant if you get bored of it or are in need of money, let me get first dibs.

I can't exactly try out a Suzo since they're difficult to mount without getting a custom stick done. I don't know of anyone who does that sort of thing.
I know what you meant Elixir, and yes, you have first dibs. :wink:
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

The joystick looks awesome monouchi. Lots of cool details everywhere. Congrats on the mod. I like the first version better though, the one with the carbon fiber-like ball.

Just a side note... 200 yen for a play, even if it's for Daifukkatsu is a little high :wink:
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Animaitor wrote:The joystick looks awesome monouchi. Lots of cool details everywhere. Congrats on the mod. I like the first version better though, the one with the carbon fiber-like ball.

Just a side note... 200 yen for a play, even if it's for Daifukkatsu is a little high :wink:
What! Do you think its cheap to play on my super stick!!?? :P :wink:

Thanks, Yeah, I also like the carbon fiber ball better, both in looks and play.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

hey monouchi i dunno if you can answer this, but I have a question about the suzo 500. I have one myself, and i have this problem with one direction getting stuck/continually pressed if I push it just ever so slightly to the right. It was recommended by that polish advocate of Suzo that I get a new pivot made thats slightly larger to deal with grinding and that, but would the heatshrink tubing method also be a way to solve that?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I just noticed the "No casual gamers" sticker on it. Excellent work. :P
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Zapf wrote:hey monouchi i dunno if you can answer this, but I have a question about the suzo 500. I have one myself, and i have this problem with one direction getting stuck/continually pressed if I push it just ever so slightly to the right. It was recommended by that polish advocate of Suzo that I get a new pivot made thats slightly larger to deal with grinding and that, but would the heatshrink tubing method also be a way to solve that?
Yeah, this sounds like you need a bigger pivot (The plastic ring that has heatshrink tubing on my pic.)
The best thing would be to make a new pivot thats a tad bigger than original.
Heatshrink tubing works too and this is exactly why I added it = to get a more precise center so the stick doesnt rest against any switch.
I used tubing cos I wanted something "rubber" to soften the impacts.

Udderdude: Hehe, youre the first one to comment on it. Yeah, no greasy casual player fingers on my stick. ;)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

monouchi wrote:
Zapf wrote:hey monouchi i dunno if you can answer this, but I have a question about the suzo 500. I have one myself, and i have this problem with one direction getting stuck/continually pressed if I push it just ever so slightly to the right. It was recommended by that polish advocate of Suzo that I get a new pivot made thats slightly larger to deal with grinding and that, but would the heatshrink tubing method also be a way to solve that?
Yeah, this sounds like you need a bigger pivot (The plastic ring that has heatshrink tubing on my pic.)
The best thing would be to make a new pivot thats a tad bigger than original.
Heatshrink tubing works too and this is exactly why I added it = to get a more precise center so the stick doesnt rest against any switch.
I used tubing cos I wanted something "rubber" to soften the impacts.

Udderdude: Hehe, youre the first one to comment on it. Yeah, no greasy casual player fingers on my stick. ;)
I fixed that "non-center" issue with my 500 by making sure that all the switches are as far away from the shaft as possible when you screw everything back in place. This is very easy to overlook as this stick has to be disassembled when you mount it in a panel/case. I suppose you could just put some electrical tape of the part of the switch assembly that faces away from the shaft as well, to get it as close to it as possible without "unwanted touching of the shaft". :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

emphatic wrote: I fixed that "non-center" issue with my 500 by making sure that all the switches are as far away from the shaft as possible when you screw everything back in place. This is very easy to overlook as this stick has to be disassembled when you mount it in a panel/case. I suppose you could just put some electrical tape of the part of the switch assembly that faces away from the shaft as well, to get it as close to it as possible without "unwanted touching of the shaft". :lol:
I did exactly the opposite. :P
I put screws in from above holding the microswitches as close as possible to the shaft.
If you look closely at the bottom of the plate that holds the switches, then you can see a ring that is centered in the empty hole on the switch, drill and put a screw in the middle of that ring and your switch is as close as possible.
Then the heatshrink tubing was needed to not get the same problem as Zapf has.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I wish it was easier to get shit precision machined in my area. I think my father found someone who might do it through work but i've not managed to get in contact with them yet =/
elvis

Post by elvis »

I have Suzo sticks in my cocktail cab, and the throw is pretty damn short on them. I'm not sure I could handle playing fighting games with them.

Shooters aren't too bad, however.
man9child

Post by man9child »

Great stick, monouchi. I just built my first stick with Seimitsu parts, and I'm almost refusing to believe there's something better out there in Suzo . . . oh wells, I'll have to check it out next time!

LS-32, screw in Seimitsu buttons, PSX pre-dual shock pcb. Gutted a defective Madcatz SE for the case.

johnwroachiii

Post by johnwroachiii »

Hey guys, could someone post a picture of some really well-done wiring? I'm working on my own first stick, and I'd like to see how the pros handle the inside.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

johnwroachiii wrote:Hey guys, could someone post a picture of some really well-done wiring? I'm working on my own first stick, and I'd like to see how the pros handle the inside.
Check out this thread on SRK:
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=201537

There's a lot of good pics in there with some excellent clean wiring shown.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

And here is the BLACK LABEL Edition of my Dai-Fukkatsu stick.
Chrome shaft cover and metal dustwasher.
LED activation on buttons and joystick.
Shaft lowered.
and more... ....I need vacation. :?

LED activation movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBW2SxP69k
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It's so nice! Does it play better now that you've lowered the stick?
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

emphatic wrote:It's so nice! Does it play better now that you've lowered the stick?
Thanks!

It plays the same technically BUT it feels alot nicer cos you dont have to move your hand so much with the shorter throw.

Another fun experience was that first I had the Joystick LEDs as clear bright ones, combined with the chrome bezel you got blinded when touching the joystick plus it was so strong so it made big blue circles in the ceiling of my living room... :?
Then I grinded down the LEDs and added diffuser discs and another 100 Ohm resistor. Much better. :P
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

monouchi wrote:
emphatic wrote:It's so nice! Does it play better now that you've lowered the stick?
Thanks!

It plays the same technically BUT it feels alot nicer cos you dont have to move your hand so much with the shorter throw.

Another fun experience was that first I had the Joystick LEDs as clear bright ones, combined with the chrome bezel you got blinded when touching the joystick plus it was so strong so it made big blue circles in the ceiling of my living room... :?
Then I grinded down the LEDs and added diffuser discs and another 100 Ohm resistor. Much better. :P
Still look very bright in that video. I would add an on/off switch for those four. :D But please ignore me, your stick is impeccable now.
Schrodinger's cat

Black Label stick looks perfect! I really can't think of a way you can improve the design. Congrats!

You'd totally make a killing here if you were ever to build more and start selling these.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

emphatic wrote: Still look very bright in that video. I would add an on/off switch for those four. :D But please ignore me, your stick is impeccable now.
Fixed with some sunfilm. 8)

Schrodinger's cat: Thanks!
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

A friend of mine made an sexy custom Arcadestick for his xbox360.

Here is one picture:

And here some nice pics from its development
Check out my Shooter Videos
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

emphatic wrote: I fixed that "non-center" issue with my 500 by making sure that all the switches are as far away from the shaft as possible when you screw everything back in place. This is very easy to overlook as this stick has to be disassembled when you mount it in a panel/case. I suppose you could just put some electrical tape of the part of the switch assembly that faces away from the shaft as well, to get it as close to it as possible without "unwanted touching of the shaft". :lol:
I actually went and did this last night as I was having even more of a problem with directions sticking, and it worked! I had to get a second pair of hands tightening the plate as I held the microswitches in a position as far from the shaft as possible. Why the fuck are they not held in place at 2 points like every other stick? That seems dumb as hell.

I'm glad I dont have to find a dude to do some precision machining now =)