Super NES Classic Edition

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
DJ Incompetent

Re: Super NES Classic Edition

Post by DJ Incompetent »

US Walmart ran the preorder. It sold out in 40 minutes.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

what time did walmart run it? ive been refreshing that page for days. i even had them notify me when it was in stock.
Austin

Post by Austin »

mvsfan wrote:what time did walmart run it? ive been refreshing that page for days. i even had them notify me when it was in stock.
It was something like 12 or 1AM EST. A friend notified me about it and I was able to get one, but then 30 minutes later heard they were no longer available.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Great idea guys, start a limited sale at 12 AM

so lots of people like me cant get one.

Walmart is a US company they should have started it in the daytime.

now they just updated their page it says "no longer available".
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm gutted, because I loved these games in my teens and genuinely wanted one of these rather than going th Pi route. But it's not looking good so far.

And God that US machine is still an eyesore.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

All Walmart pre-orders cancelled. Lol, what a mess
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

I think the SNES Classic situation will be a lot worse than with the NES Classic... :roll:
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Unless Nintendo decides to troll all the hoarders, and decide to produce plenty of these until the end of the year.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:Unless Nintendo decides to troll all the hoarders, and decide to produce plenty of these until the end of the year.
That's pretty much my hope, and why I haven't pressed fire on the Pi yet.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Nintendo's audience is collectors and hoarders. The people who want the Classic systems for the games are in the minority. If they produce to meet demand, they'll kill the demand. Not just for this, but for the next Classic system.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The thing is, there's not much more potential in any more classic systems.
the SNES classic lineup is insane. The N64 can muster up 4 or 5 really good games at best.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sumez wrote:The thing is, there's not much more potential in any more classic systems.
the SNES classic lineup is insane. The N64 can muster up 4 or 5 really good games at best.
Honestly, it'd be tough. Doesn't help that some of the better games might have a bit of a licensing snarl around them.
the list of possibilities I pulled up from looking at a list of every N64 games is better than I expected though:
* 1080 Snowboarding
* Bangai-O [wishful thinking, and the DC version is ridiculously better anyway]
* Bomberman Hero
* Bomberman 64
* Majora's Mask
* Ocarina of Time
* Super Mario 64
* Mario Kart 64
* at least one Mario Party
* Super Smash Bros.
* Mega Man 64
* Goemon
* Paper Mario
* Sin and Punishment
* Star Fox 64
* Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer
* maybe a Tony Hawk game
* Wave Race 64
* maybe Turok

didn't list the Rare developed games, dunno what the situation around them would be, although DK64 is on VC
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

An N64 mini? "Oh hey here's a bunch of games I bought recently on my 3DS and some filler to replace the Rare games"

Not exactly got the same retro appeal - like how no-one would be excited by a mini Mega Drive, as it'd have the exact same games they've been releasing on compilations for years now.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

One series that doesn't get mentioned much: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons. The rights might be a bitch to get now though.

Agree that the Nintendo 64 doesn't have quite as broad an appeal. But here's a depressing truth to ye fellow oldes: it was the first game system for a lot of 20-somethings.
Sumez wrote:The thing is, there's not much more potential in any more classic systems.
I think he means the inevitable re-releases of the NES and SNES mini, with slightly different game round-ups in each edition.

They already hit peak Amiibo sales, and even that used some beanie baby strategy. They want to still be selling these things 12 years from now.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

N64 Mini would have more value just for the fact emulation is still kinda shitty, even if playable.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wouldn't mind seeing a portable Game & Watch thing with built in games, or even real LCD games to switch out, but that ain't happening. They did a surprisingly accurate release of Ball fairly recently, though. Some of the adaptations in collections and on DSi have been accurate, as well. The version of Mario's Cement Factory in Game & Watch 4 was not accurate, though (though the DSi one seemed to be dead on).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

People are buying the systems because of collector's value, not because they're actually playing them. I'm not sure the amount of games available or the quality of them is that important.
soprano1 wrote:N64 Mini would have more value just for the fact emulation is still kinda shitty, even if playable.
Uh, I wouldn't expect any better emulation from Nintendo. Nintendo aren't known for their great emulation efforts.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8ZnDghWAY
Ad for the console. Kinda nice, except for the sleepy narrator. :roll:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Strange to advertise a console after everyone already missed the chance to get one :P
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Strange to advertise a console after everyone already missed the chance to get one :P
Ha ha, that's true. :P
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Target ran the preorder. It sold out in 4 minutes. I got kicked from my cart. You could buy a large quantity.

Gamestop is taking preorders in-person as of 30 minutes ago.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Strange to advertise a console after everyone already missed the chance to get one :P
Not strange at all for this poor joke of a company.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

bigbadboaz wrote:
Not strange at all for this poor joke of a company.
Who have managed to outlast and outperform all the competitors of old.

When I look at the state of Capcom, Konami, Hudson, Sega etc, it's amazing to see people like you dreaming about Nintendo going the same way so we're left with Sony and Microsoft running the entire show (sick bucket plz).

And that's not a defence of Nintendo's business practices, only a defence of their continuing profit.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

ZellSF wrote:Uh, I wouldn't expect any better emulation from Nintendo. Nintendo aren't known for their great emulation efforts.
Hasn't stopped sales though. :p
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

When I look at..
Not talking about who's around and who isn't. Simply stating that their behavior is despicable.

As for their profit and continued existence, neither would be harmed if they decided to actually sell more units to ALL of their customers demanding them, which is the core issue here.

Didn't say anything about them going third-party so I don't know why you went off on that tangent. But as for them ceding the market to Sony and MS, they themselves proudly claim to do that, which is why we get a continued string of ridiculous gimmick machines instead of actual competitive platforms where their franchises could be fully realized. This is almost as asinine as how they handle their Classic series.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

It is what it is. In the end the bottom line is all that matters to a business, regardless of how the business operates. I don't claim to know why Nintendo don't manufacture enough products to meet demand, I only know that there's a reason for it, as illogical as it seems.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Haven't you guys every heard of a halo car? Like the Jaguar XJ220 or that recent Lexus with the V-10. Completely impractical from both a consumer and production standpoint. These mini consoles are Nintendo's halo cars.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Agree with above. This isn't about making money - its about keeping their name in the headlines during periods they don't have anything new to show. Keeping a low run is how they get nerd outrage and dozens of Kotaku articles, thus free publicity, written about them.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Heh, that is a crafty advertising strategy. Just keep people continually pissed off and do your marketing for you. Bonus, they never accidentally overprint anything and never fully satiate demand.
bigbadboaz wrote:actual competitive platforms where their franchises could be fully realized.
Yeah sure, tiny little Japanese company is going to be competitive with a $500 black box sold at a loss to appeal to American male teenagers who only care about first person shooters and sports games. Against super conglomerates Microsoft and Sony. By selling the exact same product. At a loss.

Things are currently going great for them, but I'm sure they'll get to your "give up doing the thing that works and try something that probably won't work" plan lickity split.

Elitist console peasants, ha. Those boxes aren't even consoles anymore, just hobbled locked down feeble computers.