Mega Man Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ruldra

Re: Mega Man Miscellanies

Post by Ruldra »

StarCreator wrote:My next MMX run is going to be minimum powerups only (X-Buster only, no subtanks, no heart tanks, no capsules except legs and buster since both are forced on you). We'll see how that goes.
Hmm interesting. MMX is one of my favorite SNES games and I played the whole thing multiple times, but never like that. Sounds like a good challenge, will try it myself.
Last edited by Ruldra on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Never been able to get it fullscreen either. Doesn't bother me much though.

I beat the Rockman 7 FC remake before the real thing. It's fun, but I actually really like 7 as it is. :!:

Does anyone know if their Rockman 8 remake done yet? I've tried checking up on it from time to time. I'm mostly interested because I expect them to work on Rockman & Forte once 8 is off their plate :x
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
njiska

Post by njiska »

Ruldra wrote:
StarCreator wrote:My next MMX run is going to be minimum powerups only (X-Buster only, no subtanks, no heart tanks, no capsules except legs and buster since both are forced on you). We'll see how that goes.
Hmm interesting. MMX is one of my favorite SNES games and I played the whole thing multiple times, but never like that. Sounds like a good challenge, will try it myself.
I have to agree it does sound like a good challenge. If Starcreator does it I guess i'll have to as well. Seeing as he already made me get the Shoryuken in MMX2. Which would you guys consider the weaker upgrade for the run, the arm cannon or Z-Buster?
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

njiska wrote:I have to agree it does sound like a good challenge. If Starcreator does it I guess i'll have to as well. Seeing as he already made me get the Shoryuken in MMX2. Which would you guys consider the weaker upgrade for the run, the arm cannon or Z-Buster?
Pretty sure the two are equivalent. For maximum challenge you should skip the arm capsule though so the upgrade isn't available until the game forces it on you.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

You guys doing pea-shooter only, or charge shot allowed? Might as well throw in w/ the cool kids. :wink:
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote:You guys doing pea-shooter only, or charge shot allowed? Might as well throw in w/ the cool kids. :wink:
Pea shooter would be hard to do, just because it's easy to accidentally do a stage one charge. But let set our rules and make this a group challenge. it sounds fun.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Moniker wrote:
ST Dragon wrote:What about Rockman 7 FC 8bit remake on the PC?
It's an excellent remake but my only gripe is that when you press Alt + Enter, it does not support full screen. Only 3 resolutions in windowed mode :(
256x224
512x448
768x672

Unless I'm doing something really wrong?!...
AFAIK, and I've tried mucking with the config window, it indeed does not support fullscreen. Hasn't really been a problem for me -- is it too small on a high res screen or some such? You could always run it in 640X480 compatibility mode on the 512X448 setting.
Just tried that, but it's still not full screen.
It's a bit annoying looking at the desktop background on the sides around the window.
I wonder why they never included full screen, considering how good of a job they did with the whole remake.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

njiska wrote:
Moniker wrote:You guys doing pea-shooter only, or charge shot allowed? Might as well throw in w/ the cool kids. :wink:
Pea shooter would be hard to do, just because it's easy to accidentally do a stage one charge. But let set our rules and make this a group challenge. it sounds fun.
My inclination would be towards a pea-shooter, no dash run. No dash should be fine at least for the regular stages since the game can't assume you already got the upgrade. I've done Chill Penguin, Storm Eagle, and Flame Mammoth with those rules and there wasn't any problem. Pea-shooting bosses isn't as tedious as I expected, since you take off 1 tick of health per hit. Surprisingly, Chill Penguin has been the slowest to go down so far.

I'd say an errant level 1 charge (I think it does pea damage, just with a larger hitbox anyway) or accidental tap-dash won't matter that much in the long run. I could understand if people want their charge shot to save on thumb-exhaustion, though.
ST Dragon wrote:
Moniker wrote: AFAIK, and I've tried mucking with the config window, it indeed does not support fullscreen. Hasn't really been a problem for me -- is it too small on a high res screen or some such? You could always run it in 640X480 compatibility mode on the 512X448 setting.
Just tried that, but it's still not full screen.
It's a bit annoying looking at the desktop background on the sides around the window.
Well... you could make your background black, put your shortcut icons behind the game window, hide your taskbar, drag the game window to the top of the screen to hide the toolbar. Lastly, go to appearance settings and reduce border padding to 0. Et voila! 8)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Pea shooter runs can only get you so far as Sigma's final form can't be damaged by it. To be honest, it doesn't really sound much fun anyway since the game is definitely not balanced for it. It'll just make the entire game needlessly tedious.
njiska

Post by njiska »

StarCreator wrote:Pea shooter runs can only get you so far as Sigma's final form can't be damaged by it. To be honest, it doesn't really sound much fun anyway since the game is definitely not balanced for it. It'll just make the entire game needlessly tedious.
Shall we agree the challenge is to do the game with no upgrades, barring legs and Z-Saber and no special abilities? Going to make the Hallway after Vile a god damn nightmare. No dashing is kind of pointless as it doesn't really change the game much and it's required for the Sigma Stages. Sigma himself should be quite doable. It's not hard at all to beat the dog or his first form without taking a hit. The second form is a bastard, but the attacks are all dodgable and quite clearly called. Without hearts and armour I think that the fire is going to be a pretty close to a one hit kill attack.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Well I got started already. Only Chameleon boss left before Sigma Fortress, he's giving me a lot of trouble. Everyone else was easy.

Was a bit surprised that a fully charged shot only takes 1 tick of health from Armadillo.
mastermx wrote:
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Sigma Fortress lv.1 report: Two touches from Vile or the Spider boss will kill you. Lolz
mastermx wrote:
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Getting creamed by Sting Chameleon. Such a bastard. Been keeping to my personally imposed limit of no-dashing pea-shooter. Pea shooter has actually made the levels go a lot smoother. Enemies in general go down faster with rapid shot than charged- those that require more than one charged shot to kill, anyway - and since I'm not constantly waiting for a charge-up the way I used to, I get more enemies in less time. The no-dash makes you play a lot more deliberately; you can't jump-dash past everything like usual, and bosses require more thought. Spark Mandrill, in particular, is very difficult to dodge with only normal running. I'll probably just abandon those additional challenges when I stop having fun, but atm it's pretty entertaining.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Reached Sigma via savestates to check the damage of his weapons on you: any hit will put you at near-death. At full health nothing is lethal though, but you basically need to no-miss the whole fight. Hardcore enough for you?
Moniker wrote:Been keeping to my personally imposed limit of no-dashing pea-shooter.
No-dashing is too much, you'll never get past Vile. And pea-shooter can't damage Sigma's final form.
mastermx wrote:
njiska

Post by njiska »

Ruldra wrote:Reached Sigma via savestates to check the damage of his weapons on you: any hit will put you at near-death. At full health nothing is lethal though, but you basically need to no-miss the whole fight. Hardcore enough for you?
Moniker wrote:Been keeping to my personally imposed limit of no-dashing pea-shooter.
No-dashing is too much, you'll never get past Vile. And pea-shooter can't damage Sigma's final form.
So even the fire attack isn't one hit. That's good to know.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Eh, I give up. This is far too unforgiving.

Sigma's fight is easy in theory - Both the dog and Sigma's first form can be no-missed by hugging the wall and attacking at the right moment, and the final form is all about staying on the platform and attacking the head...

...but goddamit, so many things can go wrong. The platform stops moving right when you're climbing the wall and hit the spikes, you fall down right when he's shooting electric balls or the flame, you misjudge your hitbox and get hit by the platform's lightning...and Sigma only loses 1 tick of health from a fully charged shot. This is a VERY long fight, and you can take one hit at most. Another hit and you're back to the first fight.

I'm all for a challenge but this is like the Mr. Perfect achievement. Your execution must be absolutely flawless.
mastermx wrote:
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Yeah, I was only able to manage this challenge halfway as I completed the armor and picked up 2 subtanks before facing Sigma. Still had to use rolling shield. Good effort though, everyone. And good luck if you ever decide to do X2 this way, since Violen is a jerk no matter what.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I had to give up the no-dashing pea-shooterness. Got 5/8 bosses that way, which I suppose aint bad. Now all I have left is Sting Chameleon who's still giving me a bitch of a time. Hopefully I'll crack him tonight.

I'll have to see what's what when I get to Sigma. I think getting the armor upgrade is a pretty good way to save face. I admit I really miss using the boss weapons, though.

Edit: Megaman Christmas Carol 2 hooray! http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/forum/show ... php?t=9834
The original is on Newgrounds. Not the best MM clones by any stretch, but good clean fun nonetheless.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Moniker wrote:Now all I have left is Sting Chameleon who's still giving me a bitch of a time. Hopefully I'll crack him tonight.
When he's cloaked and coming your way, climb the wall and stay above him, he can't attack you upwards. The rest of the fight is a war of attrition, you need to kill him before he can kill you with spike rain.
mastermx wrote:
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

There you go.

Decided to equip the armor to see how it goes, and after a few attempts, I was able to no-miss the entire fight. I suppose I can pull this off without the armor after all.
mastermx wrote:
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Kudos, Ruldra! Note sure I'll make it w/o the armor, but I'm glad one of us did.

For my part, I just managed Vile and his corridor without dashing. :mrgreen: Had to use charge shot, though. Major. In the vert section of the corridor, the sniper joes stay dead even if you go offscreen, but the only way to get past the respawning sliding turrets without taking a hit is to fire a level 3 shot into the wall. Vile himself wasn't really that bad. Just have to keep your distance and get a little running start before you jump over his dashes.
njiska

Post by njiska »

I'd like to give a big ol' fuck you to the opening of Squid Adler's stage in X5. The pit before ready is just mean and it scrolls just to fast to be enjoyable for the orb hunting. I'd complain less, but I've passed through a few orbs without collecting them due to the tiny hit box and after 45 minutes it kind of gets frustrating.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Just finished X4. Great game, the battle with Sigma using X was actually challenging.

Now I've been playing Megaman 8. Fun game, I love the CPS-2 vibe of these 32-bit Megamans
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

One notable fact is that inertia is only present in megaman and megaman 2 while on the ground. just tap jump to come to a dead stop fast.

The annoying thing about the turret boss is that if you try to beat it the proper way and fail, then you will have a difficult time after you return. but if you just get the walls out of the way the first time, then farm after, you will have a very easy second go.

That said a no farming rule is required to make the game a challenge, since extra lives are pretty easy to farm off the birds or the drills with leaf shield.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

zaphod wrote:That said a no farming rule is required to make the game a challenge, since extra lives are pretty easy to farm off the birds or the drills with leaf shield.
Even without farming, you're gonna have a hard time of getting to Wily's fortress w/o 9 lives. Assuming you're familiar w/ the game and have the evil death rays in muscle memory.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

BN3 bosses deleted in silly times with silly folders. If you happen to know any BN players that shamelessly copy GameFAQs folders to win, show 'em up with this.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Just finished MM8 and Rockman & Forte (with Rockman). 8' aesthetics are top notch, and R&F was simply the best Megaman game I've played, epic battles. Now I'll play with Forte
njiska

Post by njiska »

Leandro wrote:Just finished MM8 and Rockman & Forte (with Rockman). 8' aesthetics are top notch, and R&F was simply the best Megaman game I've played, epic battles. Now I'll play with Forte
You should enjoy Forte. It's a different style of play, but in the best possible ways. Did the flying boss of King 2 give you hell like everyone else?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I felt that King 2 was overhyped. It took me a few tries, but people made it sounds like it was completely unreasonable and it really isn't.

Forte is a lot of fun, it's a totally different game with him. His mobility makes him a blast to play, especially if you're the kind of person who likes to try to speed through these kinds of games. It's a shame that more of the CDs weren't Forte exclusive, considering how many were wasted on Rush Searches. There are something like 5 that I remember needing Forte for. :/

Honestly, R&F was an incredibly pleasant surprise for me and ranks among my favorite imports. It's amazing how good it is, considering they originally made it to be distributed in some convenience store chain.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
njiska

Post by njiska »

CStarFlare wrote:I felt that King 2 was overhyped. It took me a few tries, but people made it sounds like it was completely unreasonable and it really isn't.
Trust me it really does depend on the luck of the draw. It took me 45 minutes with Mega, 20 with Forte and every single one of my deaths was due to those fucking fists creating an uncrossable gap. One even took out three platforms. The rest of the stage isn't very bad, just kinda long.

Speaking of long, how about that Boss run? I love the games that tie the master's into proper castle stages.
CStarFlare wrote:Forte is a lot of fun, it's a totally different game with him. His mobility makes him a blast to play, especially if you're the kind of person who likes to try to speed through these kinds of games. It's a shame that more of the CDs weren't Forte exclusive, considering how many were wasted on Rush Searches. There are something like 5 that I remember needing Forte for. :/

Honestly, R&F was an incredibly pleasant surprise for me and ranks among my favorite imports. It's amazing how good it is, considering they originally made it to be distributed in some convenience store chain.
Glad you're enjoying Forte's play. Shame that so many people haven't had a chance to play the game is it really is one of the better ones. I'm kind of hoping that if Capcom does another anniversary game they'll throw it in. Mega Man and Bass on the GBA is a poor substitue for the original SFC version.