Post by Almighty »

thanks for the backup ckong :wink:

here some pictures to:

thanks for the help ckong :D
trazome

Re: Modified CGA to VGA Scaler to accept clean sync RGB SCART

Post by trazome »

Hi!

Just a question, where can we buy viletim scart to jamma adapter?
SLG-3000
XRGB-3
DVDO Edge
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

trazome wrote:Hi!

Just a question, where can we buy viletim scart to jamma adapter?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28069

:wink:
trazome

Post by trazome »

Thank you for your answer. :D
SLG-3000
XRGB-3
DVDO Edge
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Sparda wrote:any news for the Sync Strike project ?
:) , sorry, not before end of may. I`ve decided to order a complete bunch of PCBs with some of my other projects. And they need some more work to do.
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

May bump for the upcoming 'Sync Strike' :)
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

hey,

thanks for the bump.

Okay, Im currently occupied by the SLG, eats my time. But the Sync Strike PCB looks great. I`Ve just ordered the parts. So I need one or two testers.

@Fagin: do you have some time left for this project?

@all : who wants and has some modding experiences?

Bye

Jochen
fagin

Post by fagin »

bencao74 wrote:hey,

thanks for the bump.

Okay, Im currently occupied by the SLG, eats my time. But the Sync Strike PCB looks great. I`Ve just ordered the parts. So I need one or two testers.

@Fagin: do you have some time left for this project?

@all : who wants and has some modding experiences?

Bye

Jochen
Hi Jochen

No problem as previously discussed.

Regards,
Shaun
muddy

Post by muddy »

I need a Sync Strike in my life.

Preferably before I buckle and buy a Sync Blaster from Maplin!
fagin

Post by fagin »

Edit: In response to the question before this post that mysteriously vanished, but the clarification is probably still worth making:

If you're referring to the "Sync Strike"........

It would be:

SCART RGB from Console -> SYNC STRIKE -> CGA2VGA Scaler -> SLG3000 -> VGA TV/MONITOR

The Sync Strike basically replaces the RGB SCART sync cleaner modification that is explained at the start of this thread. :)

It is a way of converting a SCART RGB signal / interface to either RGBs or RGBHV (for example). The interface with the CGA2VGA scaler is not the only use, but probably one of the more recent uses brought about by utilising the SLG3000.

Another use for this device, is to provide the ability to connect a SCART RGB console to a CGA Arcade Monitor.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by fagin on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakey_Jake33

Post by Shakey_Jake33 »

^I apologise, I actually discovered the answer to my question and thus deleted the post, but presumably I deleted it at the same time as you were writing your response!

Thanks for the response though, that clarifies everything for me!
fagin

Post by fagin »

:mrgreen: No problem.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

I'm still scratching my head here like.

The vga scaler has the RGBs connector,and the pins are Vss(gnd) Vss(gnd) vsync hsync sync B G R .And people are having problems with the lm1881 and their console's rgb with cvideo ?

why are you using vsync from the lm1881 ,it's not needed ,it's not even a good enough vsync (but there is a more expensive IC which gives out a proper vsync ),just the csync is needed to be connected to sync(S) pin on the 8 pin RGBs connector ,as hsync and sync are sharing the same line ,just check continuity (and it's the same for the other 5 pin rgb Vss(gnd) sync connector,it's sync is connected/common .

The only console that wouldn't work with this set up was my PAL I psone(i'm also using the dirt cheap DIY SLG that's on gamesX).Within 15 mins i had fixed the psone and the black NO SIGNAL screen .

My set up is this

A 3 port selectable scart switcher,which has the lm1881 inside and it's powered by pin 8 of each console's scart pin ,easy.This then goes through a female scart to the 8 pin connector on the scaler (using just RGB ,csync(labled S on the scaler pcb) , Vcc/gnd of the included harness) .My DIY SLG is on my solderless breadboard and connected to the underside hsync/vsync/R/G/B points of the middle vga out socket .Power is supplied to the DIY SLG via the included ,two pin power harness (temp for testing ) and this goes to my cheap lcd at 640*480 and looks bloody good ,even more so on my cabs cheapo chungwah vg monitor

All is bloody good ,jp mega drive ,cmvs,ps2 ,psone,ps 1 ,jp white saturn.

Now i have modded the scaler again.It's got an 8 pin mini din(input) and a stereo out socket .I'll chop off the scart plug that comes from the multi scart selector,stick on a 8 pin mini din plug and that's that .

fagin

Post by fagin »

You're right the V-Sync is not needed..... I just wired it up for completeness at the time. However, this will not stop this solution from working.

One of the reasons why some maybe struggling with this set-up is if their console RGB SCART is wired for composite sync from the console. The reason for the LM involved is that we are assuming a composite video signal. I understand that feeding a c-sync signal in to the LM1881 does not do good things. Never tried it myself, but just a thought.
Khan

Post by Khan »

still waiting for the sync strike but the way things are going i might pay somone to make the circuit for me since I have no clue when it comes to electronics I can solder a little but thats it lol

and im getting really really bloody desperate........

I havent played any pcb's for the last 2 months because my xrgb2 is missing :oops:

I just want to connect my scart super gun to the gbs-8220

so

Supergun SCART>GBS-8220>LCD TV
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Khan wrote:still waiting for the sync strike but the way things are going i might pay somone to make the circuit for me since I have no clue when it comes to electronics I can solder a little but thats it lol

and im getting really really bloody desperate........

I havent played any pcb's for the last 2 months because my xrgb2 is missing :oops:

I just want to connect my scart super gun to the gbs-8220

so

Supergun SCART>GBS-8220>LCD TV
Find out if your Supergun is composite sync on your SCART lead..... if it is you're laughing and will be able to do this yourself.
Khan

Post by Khan »

Sorry for my ignorance Fagin but how do i do that?

btw I first asked about this back in like september 2009 but made no progress on it (too noob to do anything) :?

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 83#p514783
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

In general PCBs output raw sync, so there should be no need to add a sync stripper when connecting a supergun to the scaler board. If your supergun has extra composite/s-video outputs, then there's a video encoder board used somewhere. Why not just post a picture of the supergun you're using ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Fudoh has hit the nail on the head..... proper sync and then no need for the sync cleaner circuit (which is what my cryptic previous post alluded to). Ergo, it will be a piece of piss to connect to the CGA2VGA via the JAMMA connector. R, G, B, Sync and Ground from the Supergun SCART and you're laughing all the way to scalersville. :mrgreen:
rolins

Post by rolins »

I don't know if this was asked before, but do these vga scalars support games that operate @ 54/55hz? Just thinking about adding one these to SG project instead of a jrok.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

FINALLY I can post some pics ;)

high resolution
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8-VvBcPqS-Q/T ... G_4755.jpg

And here is a video of all the parts in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1RKI-Ig ... ture=inbox

Setup
PS2 Console with Metal Slug
---RGB SCART CABLE---
Sync Strike
---VGA Cable---
Scaler GBS-8220
---VGA Cable---
SLG3000
---VGA Cable---
LCD screen

After all I was enjoying then playing PS2 Metal Slug on my LCD with scanlines :)

Scaler was set to RGBs mode. Sync Strike to Csync mode.

My minimal goal is achivied: PnP solution for connecting Consoles with RGB Scart to LCD with scanlines.
But I`ve put some more in the Sync Strike.

1. Real Hsync

Based on this site http://www.epanorama.net/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html

I wanted to add a real Hsync signal. But when I`m setting SYNC Strike to real Hsync plus Vsync and configure the scaler RGBHV I do not get any picture.

2. PSU protection against wrong wiring
Another gimmick is the PSU protection against wrong wiring. I don't know if I keep this stuff, coz all this extra stuff cost time and money ... hmm, what are you guys thinking?

3. Switch for power config.

I`Ve added a switch for getting power from external PSU via screw terminals and getting power from Scart pin8.
I prefer to short this switch and only offer external PSU. Every switch is a bad one ;)

So the test units will be dispatched this week :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I`Ve added a switch for getting power from external PSU via screw terminals and getting power from Scart pin8.
I prefer to short this switch and only offer external PSU.
If the stripper can indeed run on the power coming in from the Scart connection, it would be a shame to ditch this possibility in favor for an external PSU. Can't this be constructed as on the SLG3000, where the IC draws power from the incoming signal and the external PSU is optional (and switchless) ?

Otherwise very nice design, very compact - nice!
fagin

Post by fagin »

Firstly it looks very neat!!!

1. Have you tried feeding this output directly to a CGA monitor, to see if there is a problem there as well. It maybe a problem specifically with the CGA2VGA scaler.

2. It would be a nice to have but imo not essential.

3. I would agree with Fudoh on the ability to self power or external. Whilst you can't assume that all SCART RGB leads from a console are wired for PIN 8, most of them are and it would be a shame to have to use an external PSU in these cases. If I have ever had a problem with power to the SLG I just connect one if the light is too dim (as a good indicator).

The only other thing that maybe of use, is a sync pass-through dip switch from SCART. Composite Sync is being used for a number of console RGB leads now and it would be a shame to negate this as an all in one connection solution..... even to mix and match between composite sync from SCART (it's real purpose) or to just be able to convert SCART to DSUB or breakout, if the source did indeed have CSYNC already. Just a thought.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Fudoh wrote:Otherwise very nice design, very compact - nice!
fagin wrote:Firstly it looks very neat!!!
Thanks a lot :))
Fudoh wrote:If the stripper can indeed run on the power coming in from the Scart connection, it would be a shame to ditch this possibility in favor for an external PSU. Can't this be constructed as on the SLG3000, where the IC draws power from the incoming signal and the external PSU is optional (and switchless) ?
I doubt with the current design. LM1881 needs a voltage supply of 5V to 12V. Taking it from the signal is not enough (referring here to my experience with the SLG). Perhaps it`s possible to add some helper components to step up the voltage, Current should be no problem since LM1881 datasheet says it drains only 10mA.

The good part would be that PSU protection is not necessary anymore with such a feature. And there is no need taking power from pin 8 Scart.
The only other thing that maybe of use, is a sync pass-through dip switch from SCART. Composite Sync is being used for a number of console RGB leads now and it would be a shame to negate this as an all in one connection solution..... even to mix and match between composite sync from SCART (it's real purpose) or to just be able to convert SCART to DSUB or breakout, if the source did indeed have CSYNC already. Just a thought.

Args, difficult with the current layout.... perhaps next time I could use here a dip bank with selection between Hsync, Csync, Scart PassThrough
MKL

Post by MKL »

bencao74 wrote: 1. Real Hsync

Based on this site http://www.epanorama.net/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html

I wanted to add a real Hsync signal. But when I`m setting SYNC Strike to real Hsync plus Vsync and configure the scaler RGBHV I do not get any picture.
From the hi-res pic I see you used a 74HC00 as the NAND gate. I don't see the AND gate though. What did you use?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

highres
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nWWfOmewlTs/T ... _HSYNC.JPG

I`ve put it into NAND gates. I was hoping the schematic is correct ;)? Do you see any flaws?

It has to match with that stuff

Code: Select all

|--------------|----------------------  Composite (if you need
it)
           |              |    |-----\
           | |-----\      -----|      \
Composite ---|      \          | AND   |---------  Hsync
             | NAND  |o--------|      /
Vsync -------|      /          |-----/
           | |-----/
           |
           |-------------------------------------  Vsync
Hope the Composite Input here with the CSYNC coming from my LM1881 is no show stopper
MKL

Post by MKL »

bencao74 wrote:Image

highres
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nWWfOmewlTs/T ... _HSYNC.JPG

I`ve put it into NAND gates. I was hoping the schematic is correct ;)? Do you see any flaws?
No, it's the same as 1 NAND and 1 AND.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

thanks for the countercheck. So the schematic for the clean hsync should be ok. I'll track down the signals on the PCB again.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Nice work Jochen :-) How long until you do the VGA scaler and have an all-in-one device ;-)

Very good work, I like it.

Do you have a pal psone to try it with, I still can't get mine to work through the GBS 8220, using a LM1881 or not. I tried amplifying the sync signal with a simple transistor, and that didn't work. I think that a 220uf cap and 75ohm resistor which I used to fix the csync signal on my MD may help, I just haven't had a chance to test it yet.

ta
Pete
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you have a pal psone to try it with, I still can't get mine to work through the GBS 8220, using a LM1881 or not
Does the 8220 convert the 50Hz input to 60Hz output (and downscaler the 576i to 480p) ? If not, the output would be 576p50 and there are hardly any VGA displays which can display this properly.