Crimzon Clover

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Animaitor

Re: Crimzon Clover Trial Version Released

Post by Animaitor »

WOW, this must be the best looking doujin game I've ever seen... aside from the interface Needs some work but the quality is definitely there. Saw something very similar on last year's (winter) Wonfes. Maybe Yotsubane was there? Can't wait for Comiket 78!!
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Animaitor wrote:WOW, this must be the best looking doujin game I've ever seen...
I can only agree on that. And I can't stop playing this game it's just so damn awsome.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

jonny5 wrote:i wonder if Tommy James and the Shondells knows about this..... :wink:
come on....nobody got this? :?

you guys suck :lol:
replayme
Banned User

Post by replayme »

downloaded this yesterday. it's pretty good, and as said before, it has excellent production values.

one question i do have though is: can Game Maker do a game like this? because if it can, i think i have just found the tool which i am looking for.
Sony Vita: More Lives Than A Cat!!!
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Well, I think not, but you can create pretty fine games with Game Maker. If I remember correctly Xeno Fighters EX is done with GM.
But you better just learn a real programming language. Like C++ for example. It is much more rewarding and useful.
ImageImage
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

I haven't noticed anything in this game GameMaker couldn't handle. However, it would require a lot of scripting.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

replayme wrote:one question i do have though is: can Game Maker do a game like this? because if it can, i think i have just found the tool which i am looking for.
Didn't you already ask this in your development thread? No need for off-topic, especially since you got most of the answers you were after over there already ..
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

I don't like how you can not configure your movement controls. too many games assume you love the L-Stick argh! I need to try joy2key for this and try again. I'm getting owned pretty hard.

As already mentioned you do get penalized for not performing well, if you only survive for a minute you suffer with another minute of loading menus and the intro scene.

I think the graphics are excellent, particularly the enemies.

Too bad I'm playing on a 16x9 monitor and have black bars that surround the Game Gui which surrounds the game. So effectively I get 1/3 of my screen space :(

EDIT: Originally the player ship seemed to have inertia or some input lag, the ship would continue moving in a direction for a split second after you released the input. After a bit of tooling around I was able to get the inputs to work a bit better for me.

Since CC does not recognize POV inputs I needed to use a 3rd party software (joy2key). I sometimes use this method with older version of mame that don't like (pov)hatswitches when I use my 360 pad/sticks. Once I mapped the movement to the dpad with joy2key the "input lag" disappeared... The problem is however i could not get the game allow shooting and moving at the same time! it was all a wash. Normally I would quit here, but since the game looks so promising I took my old pelican stick from the ps2 and hooked it to the ps2 adapter for the pc. This old stick still uses X/Y axis for the stick so Crimson Clover recognizes it perfectly without joy2key or similar software.

Long story short, if the ship movement seems to be lagging and impacting your gameplay try configuring your inputs differently. For me the response was not acceptable with the 360 controller, but perfectly fine via keyboard or older stick.
ratsflif

Post by ratsflif »

Same problem with the 360 controls. I have two hacked 360 controllers in my cab to run both the 360 and pc games. With the joy2key running the game would not let me shoot and move at the same time. If I shut joy2key off and just used the 360 controls it does not accept the dpad for movement.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

I have the same (bad) input lag with joystick and keyboard. If anything, the keyboard makes it more noticeable since you can push a key faster than move the stick. I've tried forcing all graphics options and sound off, updating my graphics drivers, to no avail (no vsync makes the game look like crap btw).
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

Good god this is a impressive, I have a feeling it'll be the first doujin I import. The only problem Ive had is that my laptop insist on scaling it to widescreen, but it works as it should when I hook it up to my tv through a dvi/hdmi adapter. I'm pretty certain that's just a problem with my drivers though.
XBL - CountryGolden
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

t0yrobo wrote:Good god this is a impressive, I have a feeling it'll be the first doujin I import. The only problem Ive had is that my laptop insist on scaling it to widescreen, but it works as it should when I hook it up to my tv through a dvi/hdmi adapter. I'm pretty certain that's just a problem with my drivers though.
typically you can change the settings for your videocard/laptop/lcd handle scaling of low res images differently. Often there is a 1x1 pixel option, a fixed aspect ratio option as well as a full scale stretch option.

The game runs @ 640x480 unless you pick the third launch option which runs the game in pseudo widescreen 720x480 with black bar on the right. At least thats what happened to me, not at home to test again.
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

agustusx wrote:
t0yrobo wrote:Good god this is a impressive, I have a feeling it'll be the first doujin I import. The only problem Ive had is that my laptop insist on scaling it to widescreen, but it works as it should when I hook it up to my tv through a dvi/hdmi adapter. I'm pretty certain that's just a problem with my drivers though.
typically you can change the settings for your videocard/laptop/lcd handle scaling of low res images differently. Often there is a 1x1 pixel option, a fixed aspect ratio option as well as a full scale stretch option.

The game runs @ 640x480 unless you pick the third launch option which runs the game in pseudo widescreen 720x480 with black bar on the right. At least thats what happened to me, not at home to test again.
I change the scaling options, but for whatever reason it always goes straight back to the full screen scaling. I have been messing with the drivers lately though, I did the bootcamp update for Windows 7, and installed the CUDA drivers from Nvidia. So it's probably entirely my fault. The third option on the game seems to work though, I hadn't even tried it before.
XBL - CountryGolden
@Alaska-

Post by @Alaska- »

where it''s possible to buy the full version?
kennyrh

Post by kennyrh »

@Alaska- wrote:where it''s possible to buy the full version?
Himeya Shop in Space Year 2017 . . . . :mrgreen:
Shoot, dodge, collect . . .it's the ONLY way to be !!
@Alaska-

Post by @Alaska- »

kennyrh wrote:
Himeya Shop in Space Year 2017 . . . . :mrgreen:
:shock:
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

If you wanted a serious answer, It's going to be released in August 2010 at Comiket 78 (C78).
@Alaska-

Post by @Alaska- »

:D
lol thanks both.

So mmm comiket.
A comic festival or something?

no web or pyshical store released?
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

lol give it a few days (sooner if you lurk on share good enough) after c78 and it'll have a "web" release.

Only physical stores that'll carry doujin games are doujin shops in Japan.
@Alaska-

Post by @Alaska- »

EPS21 wrote:lol give it a few days (sooner if you lurk on share good enough) after c78 and it'll have a "web" release.

yes i'm definitley going to buy a physical (or better .. original) copy (i also would like to buy some other doujin stuffs like air rade).

for web store i mean web store like mmmboh playasia or something like.
since i'm not based in japan :cry:
Observer

Post by Observer »

@Alaska- wrote:
EPS21 wrote:lol give it a few days (sooner if you lurk on share good enough) after c78 and it'll have a "web" release.

yes i'm definitley going to buy a physical (or better .. original) copy (i also would like to buy some other doujin stuffs like air rade).

for web store i mean web store like mmmboh playasia or something like.
since i'm not based in japan :cry:
Don't worry. Paletweb and Himeyashop might bring the game and they ship internationally. However, if they don't, White Canvas also ships internationally so that might be a third option.

I also hope the guy will do something similar to the Cloudphobia developer, who put for sale an online version at a much cheaper price (which actually helped me getting me the game).

But yeah, this has to be the doujin shooter of the year if the guy doesn't screw things up and such. While I read that Alltynex2nd might (with 'might' being the keyword) actually coming out for real this year, I'm still not sure if it can top this festival of numbers and explosions.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
@Alaska-

Post by @Alaska- »

good to hear that. 8)
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

A doujin shmup with background graphics! wow. :D Nice bullets, explosions and effects. The graphics in general are not bad at all. Low res would have achieved less amateur-looking results. However, no tate mode, no focus movement... there's no excuse for that. Good game, but not a masterpiece.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Elaphe wrote:Low res would have achieved less amateur-looking results
What the fuck? How is low resolution going to help? The graphics aren't bad enough that going to low res would hide how bad they look.
Elaphe wrote:no tate mode
There are tons of PC shmups that do the yoko effect thing, it's not uncommon.
Elaphe wrote:no focus movement
What the hell are you even talking about?

Also like how you didn't mention the gameplay even once.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Elaphe wrote:no focus movement...
Stop pressing shift.
ImageImage
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Oh, but why has the focus movement been assigned to the lock button? That's complicating things so much...

As regards the graphics, all I said is that, in most cases, low res graphics look better than high res. And if we are talking of doujin games, that happens in all cases.

And I think that making a good vertical shmup and ignoring tate mode is not very intelligent.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Keep in mind it's only a demo and the full version won't be until August. There's much time for all sorts of problems to be remedied.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

The only 'problems' this game needs fixing is the slow ass menus, the unskippable opening, and they need to bring back the original stage 1 music.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Elaphe wrote:However, no tate mode, no focus movement... there's no excuse for that.
yes there is, it's called "this shit isn't necessary so I don't give a shit". lol "no excuse for no focus movement", go play Dangun Feveron etc.

focus movement = hold down button 2 (X key). you can still shoot with Z during.
Good game, but not a masterpiece.
indie games aren't supposed to be masterpieces even if some indie creators really really want them to be

sorry guys you'll have to try a little harder, first step is to stop being indie
--------
Elaphe wrote:Oh, but why has the focus movement been assigned to the lock button? That's complicating things so much...
not any more than assigning focus to a shift key, or having to hold down the shot button
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

while i prefer the tap to fire normally, press button for slow focus fire and find this style easier to play i still like other ways to play a shmup. As the saying goes new things are the spice of life