Going to play Radiant Silvergun for the first time

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Just to throw some fuel to the fire, I'll say this:

If you can chain stages 3A and 3B really well, grab 2 or 3 of the most valuable merry-dogs, and at least try to kill some the bosses 100%, you will have perfectly adequate strength to beat RS. None of this is particularly hard, either. If you are able to chain all of stage 3, or even just add 2B or 4A on top of 3A and 3B, you'll be sitting pretty.

Seriously, any RS vet knows that you don't have to play like Ben Shinobi from the start to beat the final bosses; instead, if you can play that well, you simply get a bonus of having those bosses be incredibly easy. Otherwise, if your vulcan is at 10 or above, you have a shot.

It is true that RS forces you to play a certain way to an extent. However, in light of the multitude of weapons you can use, I don't think it's really much more severe than most other shmups. It always makes me shake my head when I see that this is the game's most common criticism from seasoned shmuppers. I also think that everyone will agree that almost any shmup can only be played in a severely limited way when playing for score, and how many of us don't care at all about score?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

If you're looking for something more forgiving, you could almost call Mars Matrix "I can't believe it's not RSG!" You chain to level-up, but since it only improves your normal shot it's not as essential, and chains are easier to maintain since you can always bounce back some bullets. You don't pick up power-ups and have multiple weapons built-in, just with one button & four weapons instead of three buttons & eight. They both even have a yoko monitor and similar graphic styles.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

I'm making RS my christmas gift to myself this year.
"There is nothing in Man's industrial machinery but greed and sloth: his heart is in his weapons" - the Devil
aphexacid

Post by aphexacid »

grovsnus wrote:I'm making RS my christmas gift to myself this year.
Its the gift that keeps on giving. i gave a lot of gifts to myself this year lol.
i spent about a grand in the past few weeks getting up to speed with PS1 and PS2 shmups since i sat out both of them up until now.
I'm a sega guy at heart :D