Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Extrems

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Extrems »

Unseen wrote:I'm not sure if the required changes would still fit into the current FPGA - utilization is at 97%. Patches are welcome though. =)
Unfortunately, I'm no electrical engineer.

Personally, I would've only done the minimal amount of work needed to get it on HDMI, or handed off configuration to the system (SPI to Serial Port 2?).
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:
Unseen wrote:I'm not sure if the required changes would still fit into the current FPGA - utilization is at 97%. Patches are welcome though. =)
Unfortunately, I'm no electrical engineer.

Personally, I would've only done the minimal amount of work needed to get it on HDMI, or handed off configuration to the system (SPI to Serial Port 2?).
It would be cool if Serial Port 2 could be used for something. ANYTHING.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Unseen wrote:
Extrems wrote:YCbCr to RGB conversion isn't lossless. If it would passthrough (YCbCr 4:2:2 is part of the HDMI 1.0 specification), the sink could use higher precision math, dithering and better upsampling.
Aww, but I already use 11 bit scaling coefficients and 19 bit intermediate results in the YCbCr to RGB conversion =(

Also, I'm not sure if the required changes would still fit into the current FPGA - utilization is at 97%. Patches are welcome though. =)
Pardon me for being ignorant, but what are we trying to achieve with YCbCr to RGB conversion? Assuming the original digital AV output is YCbCr.
Is it for compatibility on more TVs?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

theclaw wrote:Pardon me for being ignorant, but what are we trying to achieve with YCbCr to RGB conversion? Assuming the original digital AV output is YCbCr.
GCVideo-DVI must output RGB, since DVI is RGB-only. Even with HDMI, YCbCr is optional and you're supposed to check the EDID data to determine if the sink supports it or not.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Wii U Wii Mode doesn't care and always output YCbCr anyway. :P
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Wii U Wii Mode doesn't care and always output YCbCr anyway. :P
Dang, now you made me test that =)

I happen to have an HDMI-to-VGA converter that does not have a CEA extension page in its EDID output even though it copies most data from the display, so it cannot signal YCbCr support. The Wii U seems to switch to pure DVI in this case:
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Interesting, that's not what I've seen with my DVI monitors. Maybe a different HDMI encoder?

Edit:
Turns out a full reset is needed for EDID changes. I should've tested this more thoroughly.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Form what I've seen the WIIU outputs RGB only when set to 480p. But that changes as you increase the resolution setting.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Blair wrote:Form what I've seen the WIIU outputs RGB only when set to 480p. But that changes as you increase the resolution setting.
What does the Wii U output when not in 480p?
Blair

Post by Blair »

it's been awhile since I tested this and I can't remember if it was independent of vWii mode or not but I remember the readout on my VP50 pro changed as I tested the output from the WiiU. so at 480p. it was listed as RGB 444 then at 720p it said YCbCr 422. (and I can't recall the readout for 1080i or 1080p)
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Unseen wrote:GCVideo-DVI must output RGB, since DVI is RGB-only. Even with HDMI, YCbCr is optional and you're supposed to check the EDID data to determine if the sink supports it or not.
Pesky HDMI licensing, eh. I'd doubt the value of DVI too if they weren't twisting our arm.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Is there a rough time frame for a GCvideo type mod to come out for Wii? And will it have options for tweaking the image?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

andykara2003 wrote:Is there a rough time frame for a GCvideo type mod to come out for Wii?
Somewhere around August to September last year
And will it have options for tweaking the image?
Identical to the Gamecube version
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks unseen - I've been out of the loop for a bit.

Couple of questions if I may?

Where can I get the mod done?

Are there modders in the UK that do this particular mod?

Also is there a main website that has all the details etc?

Do GameCube games look as good as GCvideo does on actual Gamecubes?

Cheers

[EDIT: Ahh looking back through the thread it looks like the situation is a little complicated! If anyone is doing this mod in the UK, please give me shout.]
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

andykara2003 wrote:Where can I get the mod done?
Are there modders in the UK that do this particular mod?
No idea.
Also is there a main website that has all the details etc?
The only thing I have is the Github repository
Do GameCube games look as good as GCvideo does on actual Gamecubes?
No idea, someone would need to test that. I still need to build a compact version of the design to fit into my own Wii (or wait until someone else finally publishes his "barely fits below the main board" design).
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Cheers for that, it seems that everything is in flux at the moment.

I'm trying to piece together the general picture by looking back at the thread - this is the best picture I have at the moment. If anyone could fill me in or correct me I'd be extremely grateful.

I'm looking to get the Gamecube HDMI mod and also the Wii HDMI mod. [If possible, for my CRTs, I'd eventually like to get an analogue output mod for the Wii as well to bypass it's terrible component - although I don't think any projects for this are in motion as of yet.]

As to the Gamecube HDMI mod, it sounds like Badass consoles is the only way to go with the GCvideo HDMI. His installation services are very backed up and kind of in limbo, but he has the kits available right now so I can get a local modder to fit it. I think I would need the EZ pak D for my DOL 001 console (not sure what pak AD is).

As to the Wii, from what I can gather there is a version of GCvideo that works with the Wii as well - although I can't work out whether that's a fully internal solution with the HDMI socket mounted in the case. Apparently it needs advanced soldering skills to fit. At some point in the future, citrus3000psi looks to be selling a proper internal HDMI solution as well, but it's not available yet. I'm getting that this might be a better solution than the GCvideo for Wii for some reason - is it because GCvideo isn't an internal solution for Wii?

As I say, I would really appreciate any clarification!
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

andykara2003 wrote:[If possible, for my CRTs, I'd eventually like to get an analogue output mod for the Wii as well to bypass it's terrible component - although I don't think any projects for this are in motion as of yet.]
It should be possible with a minor modification in the GCVideo-Lite source code, but I don't see much need for it since the Wii already has a component output that appears to work well-enough.
As to the Wii, from what I can gather there is a version of GCvideo that works with the Wii as well - although I can't work out whether that's a fully internal solution with the HDMI socket mounted in the case. Apparently it needs advanced soldering skills to fit.
There is a working version of GCVideo-DVI for Wii, but I don't think you can fit the "reference" board into the case without removing major chunks of the heat sink and probably compromising airflow. Also, the solder points you need to connect to are quite small and the wiring is very sensitive to interference - one person reported that rotating the FPGA board by 180° to stop the signals from crossing over each other changed the resulting video output from "no signal with occasional short flashes of a noisy picture" to "works perfectly". This is why my general advice is to not use the Wii version of GCVideo.
I'm getting that this might be a better solution than the GCvideo for Wii for some reason - is it because GCvideo isn't an internal solution for Wii?
GCVideo is neither an internal nor an external solution for both the Gamecube and Wii. My repository contains sample configurations for loading it onto a few FPGA boards, one of which is generic and small enough to fit into at least a Gamecube and other people have built their own FPGA boards which can be mounted externally or internally that are capable of running GCVideo.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Unseen wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:[If possible, for my CRTs, I'd eventually like to get an analogue output mod for the Wii as well to bypass it's terrible component - although I don't think any projects for this are in motion as of yet.]
It should be possible with a minor modification in the GCVideo-Lite source code, but I don't see much need for it since the Wii already has a component output that appears to work well-enough.
I would really appreciate having the option to use GCVideo-Lite on the Wii - not just because the Wii's Component video quality is quite soft, but also because I would like to use RGBS in 480p, which is simply not possible on a stock Wii.

Ideally I would like to modify the original Wii AV port so it could output 480p RGBS (and maybe keep the option to switch into YPbPr mode using the Wii AV port mode pins 8+10) so I could then use an original Wii SCART cable for any video mode (I'm aware that I would lose Composite video to CSYNC, but it seems a worthy trade off to me)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Link83 wrote:
Unseen wrote:It should be possible with a minor modification in the GCVideo-Lite source code, but I don't see much need for it since the Wii already has a component output that appears to work well-enough.
I would really appreciate having the option to use GCVideo-Lite on the Wii - not just because the Wii's Component video quality is quite soft, but also because I would like to use RGBS in 480p, which is simply not possible on a stock Wii.

Ideally I would like to modify the original Wii AV port so it could output 480p RGBS (and maybe keep the option to switch into YPbPr mode using the Wii AV port mode pins 8+10) so I could then use an original Wii SCART cable for any video mode (I'm aware that I would lose Composite video to CSYNC, but it seems a worthy trade off to me)
GCVideo-Lite could definitely be used on the Wii, but I'd say you're in a pretty niche crowd and it's unlikely someone will step in and design a board for that for quite a while.

Also since someone mentioned BadAssConsoles again- AFAIK he hasn't shipped a single thing out yet, not even standalone analog boards, but I could be wrong.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Link83 wrote:
Unseen wrote:It should be possible with a minor modification in the GCVideo-Lite source code, but I don't see much need for it since the Wii already has a component output that appears to work well-enough.

GCVideo-Lite could definitely be used on the Wii, but I'd say you're in a pretty niche crowd and it's unlikely someone will step in and design a board for that for quite a while.
IIRC citrus3000psi was interested in an GCVideo-Lite for the Wii - if the code for Wii support was available (I believe he has a Pioneer plasma without HDMI support) Alternatively I would even consider designing a board myself (I have designed some before) especially if citrus3000psi's Wii QSB is finalised.

I appreciate that I may be in the minority, but if the code was available then I can definitely see some people wanting to use a GCVideo-Lite on a Wii - even if its just for 480p RGBS/RGBHV support.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Oh, thought the code had already been made available for the Wii. Citrus' QSB would definitely help regardless, you could just modify the second board if he's doing the same QSB on the video encoder + ribbon cable to daughterboard arrangement.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Oh, thought the code had already been made available for the Wii. Citrus' QSB would definitely help regardless, you could just modify the second board if he's doing the same QSB on the video encoder + ribbon cable to daughterboard arrangement.
Yeah that was exactly my thought - just redesign the second 'daughter'board, and perhaps even design it to fit over the Wii AV port pins, much like borti4938's RGB bypass boards.
We just need the GCVideo-Lite code to be adapted for the Wii first.
Last edited by Link83 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Unseen wrote:GCVideo is neither an internal nor an external solution for both the Gamecube and Wii. My repository contains sample configurations for loading it onto a few FPGA boards, one of which is generic and small enough to fit into at least a Gamecube and other people have built their own FPGA boards which can be mounted externally or internally that are capable of running GCVideo.
Ahh I see now, thanks for that.

I just saw the external plug n play unit by Zeldaxpro so will hopefully be able to get my hands on one of those soon. I prefer the idea of an external solution.
bobrocks95 wrote:Oh, thought the code had already been made available for the Wii.
I really hope the Wii solutions can come together - It'd be fantastic to have a Wii with HDMI out - and even better of it could output much improved component & VGA as well!
Last edited by andykara2003 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I am really interested in a WiiVideo HDMI mod for the Wii.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Excuse my ignorance but what's a QSB? I had thought that Citrus was making a Wii HDMI mod but perhaps I'm mistaken..

[EDIT - damnit I just saw that he's just doing an analogue version]
Link83

Post by Link83 »

andykara2003 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what's a QSB? I had thought that Citrus was making a Wii HDMI mod but perhaps I'm mistaken..
QSB = Quick Solder Board - its basically a small PCB that gathers all the digital signals together and makes it easier to solder to all the small pins/pads. Heres a picture citrus3000psi posted a while ago of his QSB design for Wii:-
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1238454
The QSB is connected by a ribbon cable (FFC) to to the 'mainboard' which has all the chips needed to convert the digital signals into either HDMI or analog. This post shows a GCVideo-Lite mainboard design:-
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p1249298
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Link83 wrote:We just need the GCVideo-Lite code to be adapted for the Wii first.
The code itself needs no changes (unless you want SPDIF too), it only needs to be resynthesized with modified I/O voltage settings to account for the Wii's 1.8V signals.

While I can easily(*) make that change, I have no means of testing it.

(*) except for that stupid time-limited, node-locked license thing in the free version of Lattice Diamond =/
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Link83 wrote:QSB = Quick Solder Board

Just occurred to me to to check - does the HDMI version of this look better than the official component cables on an HDTV?
leonk

Post by leonk »

UPDATE: So it seems Paypal messed up (surprise surprise).

Bad Ass Consoles did issue a full refund but PayPal never sent me the email confirmation! (I have Paypal set to automatically notify me of all transactions via email and SMS message directly to my cell phone)

Thanks BAC for the quick refund ...
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Unseen wrote:While I can easily make that change, I have no means of testing it.
If anyone wants to test it: untested build (which may disappear from this location at any time). No SVF file included because I can't figure out why ispVM keeps using the old bitstream instead of the new one.

I used to like the Lattice Diamond tools more than Xilinx' ISE, but now I'm not so sure anymore...