Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by Ikaruga11 »

andykara2003 wrote:Jason from Gametechus got back to me & says he can't remember - either way it was just a vague off hand comment & I'm pretty sure all RGB N64s look the same.

I think Borti is our only hope (no pressure!)
Yes. You're our only hope, Borti.

Does anyone know if the RGB De-Blur or Ultra HDMI makes the image more colorful in addition to being way sharper?
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

None of these RGB mods are making it more or less colorful, just more accurate. The only opportunity for color error is for the DAC to employ a different gamma curve than the original, but that's no worse than the variance already introduced by different television sets. If S-video or composite look "more colorful" to anybody, in this case it is only a result of error in encoding, decoding, and the television's settings. While the YUV colorspace can reflect some colors at intensities not possible within sRGB, the S-video and Composite in the N64 are generated from the RCP's digital RGB output, so any variance from that image is only an error.

All N64's video output is identical before it goes analogue.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Absolutely, that's my thinking as well - in the case of s-video it's the result of the way they encoded the signal, which as you say is just an 'error' or deviation from the pure signal. So raising gamma is the only way to change the signal in an RGB mod? It would be interesting to see the effect of that. If it improves things, I guess the ideal situation might be to have an RGB mod with an adjustable gamma control that could be set to the user's preference..
jade88

Post by jade88 »

CobraKing wrote:
borti4938 wrote:There won't be a "final" set of button combinations! Read through this readme:
https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... .README.md
I linked that above, too.

If someone don't want to have the reset functionality, just leave out the wire to reset (PIF-NUS pin 27). This is also stated in a readme: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... /README.md
@borti4938, I had a chance to try out your latest firmware with IGR combo '1' and everything worked perfectly. I played a few games that used both the D-Pad & Analog sticks for movement and did not trigger any accidental resets.

Your updated heuristic also does not activate the De-Blur feature for the AKI wrestling games (Wrestlemania 2000 & No Mercy). Thank you again for all your work, it's greatly appreciated.
Why did you specifically mention the AKI wrestling games out of curiosity? They look great to me with the deblur on.

With that said, even with sharpness set at 1 on the XRGB Mini, Ocarina looks awful to me with the deblur on. The blur helps some games imo.

What games do you guys prefer to have it on and off with?
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

One thing I've noticed about the N64-- is that only (well, almost only) the games developed by Nintendo stand-up graphically today. They went for a cartoony look which they nailed, but not many other companies could replicate it. Rare might've been the exception... but OMG there are so many crappy looking games on the system.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^
What version of Borti's firmware do you have? With the very latest version his heuristic doesn't enable De-Blur for the AKI games, however with the prior version De-Blur on would be enabled and the text in the game would be slightly garbled. I'm using the OSSC with ebay seller's RGB cable by the way.

As before the major issue prior to the current firmware was triggering the soft reset due to the AKI games using the D-Pad, shoulder and C-Buttons.
jade88

Post by jade88 »

I'm really struggling to get down the button combo than turns off deblur. What exactly is it and can it be done in game?
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

jade88 wrote:I'm really struggling to get down the button combo than turns off deblur. What exactly is it and can it be done in game?
Not sure if you're serious with your question but I'll oblige you.

I believe the original button scheme would be in IGR firmware build '0' while there's a secondary firmware build in '1'.

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... _fw_builds

0:
+parameter igr_reset = `A + `B + `Dd + `Dr + `L + `R;
+
+parameter igr_deblur_off = `Dl + `L + `R + `Cl;
+parameter igr_deblur_on = `Dr + `L + `R + `Cr;
+
+parameter igr_15bitmode_off = `Du + `L + `R + `Cu;
+parameter igr_15bitmode_on = `Dd + `L + `R + `Cd;

1:
+parameter igr_reset = `A + `B + `Z + `St + `R;
+
+parameter igr_deblur_off = `Z + `St + `R + `Cl;
+parameter igr_deblur_on = `Z + `St + `R + `Cr;
+
+parameter igr_15bitmode_off = `Z + `St + `R + `Cu;
+parameter igr_15bitmode_on = `Z + `St + `R + `Cd;
jade88

Post by jade88 »

CobraKing wrote:
jade88 wrote:I'm really struggling to get down the button combo than turns off deblur. What exactly is it and can it be done in game?
Not sure if you're serious with your question but I'll oblige you.

I believe the original button scheme would be in IGR firmware build '0' while there's a secondary firmware build in '1'.

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... _fw_builds

0:
+parameter igr_reset = `A + `B + `Dd + `Dr + `L + `R;
+
+parameter igr_deblur_off = `Dl + `L + `R + `Cl;
+parameter igr_deblur_on = `Dr + `L + `R + `Cr;
+
+parameter igr_15bitmode_off = `Du + `L + `R + `Cu;
+parameter igr_15bitmode_on = `Dd + `L + `R + `Cd;

1:
+parameter igr_reset = `A + `B + `Z + `St + `R;
+
+parameter igr_deblur_off = `Z + `St + `R + `Cl;
+parameter igr_deblur_on = `Z + `St + `R + `Cr;
+
+parameter igr_15bitmode_off = `Z + `St + `R + `Cu;
+parameter igr_15bitmode_on = `Z + `St + `R + `Cd;
D pad left + L and R + C button left, does nothing when pressed for me. I'm trying it I'm game.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

borti4938 wrote:I guess he aims for the "S-Video colors" and not for S-Video in general. Sometimes I think about that the DAC curve has not a linear shape as it is used at the moment on current DAC replacements. Just look at the "gamma boost" feature of the UltraHDMI. This is somethink which can be implemented easily in an advanced mod (moreover, I do have an implementation ready).
I find this quite interesting - has it actually been confirmed that the original DAC has a non-linear gamma curve? (Similar to the Xbox 360?) If so do different N64 DAC's feature different gamma curves? (I believe both Rohm and Ricoh manufactured different DAC's/Video Encoders for the N64)
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

jade88 wrote:
D pad left + L and R + C button left, does nothing when pressed for me. I'm trying it I'm game.
What version of the firmware do you have?
jade88

Post by jade88 »

CobraKing wrote:
jade88 wrote:
The latest I believe, Citrus hooked me up. I'm just having a brain fart figuring this out.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Do you have tried other button combinations as like as the one for reset? Does it do it's job? If yes, there is no reason why a certain button combination (in your case deblur off) does not work.
Actually, there could be some reasons:
- the heuristic guess is deblur off; so you won't see a difference as long as you don't switch deblur on manually in a first place.
- faulty installation, e.g. missing wire to the controller 1
- wrong firmware, e.g. you use the firmware with simple switches

Do you have the possibility to update the firmware on your own?

Regarding the DAC curve:
Well I do have an implementation ready. I.e. firmware portion has been written. But I had to change the FPGA as the very small Max10 doesn't support the implementation. A new prototype is already in production. I hope to get it in a few weeks ready.

If I look at the UltraHDMI feature set and especially the "gamma boost" as it is called there looks good. So I will see how it goes ;)
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

borti4938 wrote:I hope to get it in a few weeks ready.
Thanks Borti - very exciting! Is there a possibility to make the effect variable so the levels can be set by the user?
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

jade88 wrote:
CobraKing wrote:
jade88 wrote:
The latest I believe, Citrus hooked me up. I'm just having a brain fart figuring this out.
I think as @borti4938 said, is there anyway you can update the firmware yourself?

Also @jade88 can you try the 'In game reset' combination? That way you will know for sure if you're able to use the button combinations.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

CobraKing wrote:
I think as @borti4938 said, is there anyway you can update the firmware yourself?

Also @jade88 can you try the 'In game reset' combination? That way you will know for sure if you're able to use the button combinations.
It has the newest firmware. Its not setup to be updateable without taking it apart. I can attest the IGR functions work as I tested them. We've been in communication and I just asked her to try to reset the console.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:None of these RGB mods are making it more or less colorful, just more accurate. The only opportunity for color error is for the DAC to employ a different gamma curve than the original, but that's no worse than the variance already introduced by different television sets. If S-video or composite look "more colorful" to anybody, in this case it is only a result of error in encoding, decoding, and the television's settings. While the YUV colorspace can reflect some colors at intensities not possible within sRGB, the S-video and Composite in the N64 are generated from the RCP's digital RGB output, so any variance from that image is only an error.

I've said this before, but I feel like the color mastering for Nintendo 64 games was done with the Composite and S-Video encoder chip in mind. The RGB signal may be scientifically accurate, but it's not artistically accurate.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

GeneraLight wrote:I feel like the color mastering for Nintendo 64 games was done with the Composite and S-Video encoder chip in mind. The RGB signal may be scientifically accurate, but it's not artistically accurate.
That possibility had occurred to me as well.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

andykara2003 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:I feel like the color mastering for Nintendo 64 games was done with the Composite and S-Video encoder chip in mind. The RGB signal may be scientifically accurate, but it's not artistically accurate.
That possibility had occurred to me as well.
I recall reading years ago on ASSEMbler that Nintendo omitted RGB from the Nintendo 64 because it was the least utilised video output on the Super Famicom by some margin.

While that doesn't confirm anything, it makes me think that if they did any "colour mastering" as you say that they could have omitted RGB from that as it wasn't anticipated to be used.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Just as possible.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:None of these RGB mods are making it more or less colorful, just more accurate. The only opportunity for color error is for the DAC to employ a different gamma curve than the original, but that's no worse than the variance already introduced by different television sets. If S-video or composite look "more colorful" to anybody, in this case it is only a result of error in encoding, decoding, and the television's settings. While the YUV colorspace can reflect some colors at intensities not possible within sRGB, the S-video and Composite in the N64 are generated from the RCP's digital RGB output, so any variance from that image is only an error.

I've said this before, but I feel like the color mastering for Nintendo 64 games was done with the Composite and S-Video encoder chip in mind. The RGB signal may be scientifically accurate, but it's not artistically accurate.
I'm so glad we're back to "the developer intended" arguments. Let's keep up the non-science.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

I'm so glad we're back to "the developer intended" arguments. Let's keep up the non-science.
I guess it's okay to settle for the unofficial unsupported dark and muted RGB colors that deviate from the official Composite/S-Video video encoder chip. :o
jade88

Post by jade88 »

CobraKing wrote:^^
What version of Borti's firmware do you have? With the very latest version his heuristic doesn't enable De-Blur for the AKI games, however with the prior version De-Blur on would be enabled and the text in the game would be slightly garbled. I'm using the OSSC with ebay seller's RGB cable by the way.

As before the major issue prior to the current firmware was triggering the soft reset due to the AKI games using the D-Pad, shoulder and C-Buttons.
Yea in WCW World Tour, it resets every match essentially. I have the latest firmware, I thought this was fixed.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

jade88 wrote:
Yea in WCW World Tour, it resets every match essentially. I have the latest firmware, I thought this was fixed.
Ok so the console is resetting because you more than likely have the firmware combination '0' that I listed above. You can then start a match and toggle the DeBlur ON/OFF using the button combinations there. Keep an eye on the 'Spirit' text as you toggle DeBlur ON/OFF.

Either you or @citrus3000psi needs to flash using firmware pof '1'.

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... w_builds/1
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Maybe it could also a good idea to have tho opportunity to physically turn off the IGR functionalities. A physical switch as shown on the previous page could be installed within the connection, e.g.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

So my N64RGB arrived.

I'm a little concerned about cabling now though, as in install wires.

Tim's guide says to keep them under 30cm which is fine but now I'm reading it is best to keep the analog and digital wires away from each other?

Also a few pages back someone did an install on the underside of the console - is there any real benefit to that over the usual placement? I'm using a CRT (if it matters).
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Nintendo 64 models with CPU-04 revisions and newer do not have C-Sync RGB.

Does Tim's universal N64 RGB Board allow you to output C-Sync RGB on ANY Nintendo 64?
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Yes, it does!
CSYNC is generated from the digital video data (first clock phase, LSB).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hey borti, just curious, has your de-blur heuristic been updated in a while?

Or has it been tested pretty thoroughly at this point? Haven't heard a lot of people talking about it really.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
leonk

Post by leonk »

bobrocks95 wrote:Hey borti, just curious, has your de-blur heuristic been updated in a while?

Or has it been tested pretty thoroughly at this point? Haven't heard a lot of people talking about it really.
It has been updated a few times. Last one I believe early July (due to a pixel shift in some games).