Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KBZ

Re: Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

Post by KBZ »

pixelcorps wrote:TDE MISSION COMPLETE
Fist pump to all my TDE bros.

and thumbs up from the most generally nice league around.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

GREAT SCENE SUCCESS!

=/
austere

Post by austere »

It's not over until the fat lady ... stops singing really faintly and intermittently, under the soundtrack. ._.)
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I realised why the ship looks like a ship on sand. See, the water is badly done. No graphical trick making water look right in shmups to it, be it reflections, wavy texture, splashes , parallax scrolling of clouds' image... Accidentally, in Crimson Clover the water doesn't look right either (too high contrast and long take-off animation make beholder realise how weird still waves look). At least that was the case last time I saw it.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Evrain

Post by Evrain »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I realised why the ship looks like a ship on sand. See, the water is badly done. No graphical trick making water look right in shmups to it, be it reflections, wavy texture, splashes , parallax scrolling of clouds' image... Accidentally, in Crimson Clover the water don't look right either (too high contrast and long takeoff animation make beholder realise how weird still waves look). At least that was the case last time I saw it.
Maybe it's just general suckiness of the PGM's graphical prowess :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

RNGmaster wrote:I notice that invulnerability runs out before the next stage has a chance to start. This messes with scoring because it makes it hard to get initial shotguns. Generally, the shield depletes just after chips are being counted.
Are you basing this off the port or the PCB? Because the port has some differences, like keeping invincibility ON a bit after each stage, while on the PCB you're just invincible at the start of the first one. Also, on the port you can't fire off a bomb directly at the start of a new stage, but in the PCB you can.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Evrain wrote:Maybe it's just general suckiness of the PGM's graphical prowess :)
Well, I've seen good looking water in much older shmups (Raidens for example). There was even sunset flavour done well in 19XX: The War Against Destiny. Then there goes Gun Frontier and so on.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Sometimes in DoJ the Enter your initials song continue even after I have done entering them,pretty cool seeing the DoJ BL logo with that music I guess.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

emphatic wrote:
RNGmaster wrote:I notice that invulnerability runs out before the next stage has a chance to start. This messes with scoring because it makes it hard to get initial shotguns. Generally, the shield depletes just after chips are being counted.
Are you basing this off the port or the PCB? Because the port has some differences, like keeping invincibility ON a bit after each stage, while on the PCB you're just invincible at the start of the first one. Also, on the port you can't fire off a bomb directly at the start of a new stage, but in the PCB you can.
You sure about that Emph? I hadn't played it in months, and every run I did last night I had a few seconds of invulnerability at the beginning of each stage. That's how I remember it from the PCB as well.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jonny5 wrote:You sure about that Emph? I hadn't played it in months, and every run I did last night I had a few seconds of invulnerability at the beginning of each stage. That's how I remember it from the PCB as well.
Okay, perhaps there's "some" invincibility on the PCB but surely not as long as the port's. In the beginning of stage three (playing the port) you can kill the small cannon at the left top at point blank, fly THROUGH the power up-dropping helicopter and get to the far side of the right side before it wears off. On the PCB you can get killed by the small cannon as you're no longer invincible by the time it gets it's first shot off. I'd say at least 2 seconds longer on the port.

Edit:
360 replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6Ozy0E ... re=related
MrMonkeyman (PCB): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQWA9-hlBs
Last edited by emphatic on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
THE

Post by THE »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Evrain wrote:Maybe it's just general suckiness of the PGM's graphical prowess :)
Well, I've seen good looking water in much older shmups (Raidens for example). There was even sunset flavour done well in 19XX: The War Against Destiny. Then there goes Gun Frontier and so on.
No, it's Cave's fault. While the old Raiden 2 hardware (1993?) is superior to the PGM hardware (2000?), the PGM is able to do great water though. But things like that are up to the artist or managers who insists on the deadline. Not that you see the backgrounds in Cave games anyway :wink:
The future is 2D
ryz

Post by ryz »

okay, i've gone and made a modified source package for MAME 0.140-u2, for everyone who is interested. this includes the refresh rate fix, nagscreen/highscore patch, Haze's WIP PGM video driver and last but not least the PGM drivers/additions from raidenii.net:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1202429/mame_01 ... denfix.tgz

i think this is everything needed for some Ketsui/DOJ/BL goodness :> i just compiled and tested this on my 32bit (arch)linux box, Ketsui works fine and smooth.

i did this for the linux users out there, so they don't have to hassle with finding the needed patches. just unpack and compile!

compile it with "make" in the root mame dir (e.g. where the makefile resides)
you will need SDL and sdl_ttf on your (linux) system to compile it.

i will compile a windows binary if someone is interested.
Last edited by ryz on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

ryz wrote: if someone is interested.

Please compile a windows one 32bit
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

Has anyone managed to get scanlines running in these builds ? I've downloaded some effect pngs , but they don't work and there aren't any other options.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Your link is invalid. I get a 404
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Pulsewidth

Post by Pulsewidth »

General Martok wrote:Has anyone managed to get scanlines running in these builds ? I've downloaded some effect pngs , but they don't work and there aren't any other options.
With the png in your "artwork" directory:
mame64 -effect filename.png ket
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:
+1.
ryz

Post by ryz »

Zeron wrote:Please compile a windows one 32bit
compiling as of now!

rtw wrote:
sorry, should be available now
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ryz wrote:sorry, should be available now
Thanks, downloading. Edit: I thought I could just run the makefile. I'm a total Linux noob, running Ubuntu, how do I compile it into an executable?
ryz

Post by ryz »

emphatic wrote:
ryz wrote:sorry, should be available now
Thanks, downloading. Edit: I thought I could just run the makefile. I'm a total Linux noob, running Ubuntu, how do I compile it into an executable?
just execute "make" in the root dir (e.g. where the makefile resides)

oh, and sdl_ttf is a dependency as of mame 0.140-u2, i think. just you know :)
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

ryz wrote:okay, i've gone and made a modified source package for MAME 0.140-u2, for everyone who is interested. this includes the refresh rate fix, nagscreen/highscore patch, Haze's WIP PGM video driver and last but not least the PGM drivers/additions from raidenii.net:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1202429/mame_01 ... denfix.tgz

thanks! good man
=/
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ryz wrote:just execute "make" in the root dir (e.g. where the makefile resides)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm more of a noob at Linux than you'd thought possible. I don't know how to open a Terminal within the MAME folder nor how to browse to it from Terminal, because that's how I execute it, right? Better yet, care to share your binary?
Exo

Post by Exo »

emphatic wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm more of a noob at Linux than you'd thought possible. I don't know how to open a Terminal within the MAME folder nor how to browse to it from Terminal, because that's how I execute it, right? Better yet, care to share your binary?
"cd foldername" to get to a folder
"ls" to list all folders/files in your current directory
and "cd .." to go back one dir.
So if you start in your home dir and you want to go to your desktop you'd type "cd Desktop".
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Exo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryz

Post by ryz »

Kingbuzzo wrote:thanks! good man
my pleasure! :)
emphatic wrote:Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm more of a noob at Linux than you'd thought possible. I don't know how to open a Terminal within the MAME folder nor how to browse to it from Terminal, because that's how I execute it, right? Better yet, care to share your binary?
well, no problem mate. i'll put my binary on dropbox in a few minutes! if all else fails, i'll guide you through the compiling process. :)

@topic: the windows binary should be up soon!
captpain

Post by captpain »

Exo wrote:
emphatic wrote:

"cd foldername" to get to a folder
"dir" to list all folders/files in your current directory
and "cd.." to go back one dir.
So if you start in your root dir and you want to go to your desktop you'd type "cd desktop".
Hope this helps.
use ls to list files

type cd .. to go back a directory, not cd..

also stop helping
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Thanks for the very helpful lesson in Unix linguistics. I have been able to browse to the correct folder now (thanks to the "cd ..", "cd" and "ls" commands, but as I'm missing the -lSDL_ttf I the compiler throws an error. Sorry for the long off-topic to everyone not interested btw. Can I get the "-lSDL_ttf" using wget somehow?
captpain

Post by captpain »

emphatic wrote:Thanks for the very helpful lesson in Unix linguistics. I have been able to browse to the correct folder now (thanks to the "cd ..", "cd" and "ls" commands, but as I'm missing the -lSDL_ttf I the compiler throws an error. Sorry for the long off-topic to everyone not interested btw. Can I get the "-lSDL_ttf" using wget somehow?

You're using Ubuntu? Search for sdl_ttf in Synaptic Package Manager.
ryz

Post by ryz »

ok, here is the windows 32bit binary:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1202429/mame_01 ... denfix.rar

to sum things up: MAME 0.140-u2 including refresh rate fix, nagscreen/hiscore patch, Haze's WIP PGM video driver, raidenii.net's improved PGM drivers.
bear in mind that you need the protected PGM ROMs from raidenii.net for Ketsui and DOJ/BL.

oddly enough, you have to start the ROMs via cmd, e.g. "mame.exe ket.zip", otherwise it wont work. dont know why.

please give me some feedback on how smooth it runs in comparison to other builds floating around here. it *might* be there are some lags, because i dont know how well Haze's WIP patch correlates with the patches from raidenii.net. could anyone from raidenii.net clarify this?

thanks to Haze, (and the MAME team), austere, nimitz, trap15 (Team Battleship) for making this happen. And MKChamp for the Hiscore/Nagscreen patch.
Exo

Post by Exo »

captpain wrote:
use ls to list files

also stop helping
Corrected my post.

P.S.: Way to go being a dick about it.
hipgnosis

Post by hipgnosis »

Nice work!

Can you give me more detailed instructions how to run Ketsui with that Windows 32 Mame? That command doesn't seem to work.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Exo wrote:
captpain wrote:
use ls to list files

also stop helping
Corrected my post.

P.S.: Way to go being a dick about it.
Also, it wouldn't be your root directory but rather your home directory. And it's case-sensitive and titled Desktop by default. Basically your post is entirely wrong, sorry dude :mrgreen: