Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Death Smiles is one of CAVE's weaker titles, and I'd say RFA outnumbers it in terms of port perfection, but it's above even in quantity if you count MBL and ver 1.1. Not everybody's going to enjoy 1.1 or MBL, though. Just like not everyone's going to enjoy how different RFJ is to RF1 and 2.

I don't think loading the same game twice would matter, so go for it. The game's region locked though, otherwise I would probably support the localization. In fact, I'm tempted to, but getting stuff out of America to NZ is just as difficult as getting stuff out of Japan.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Siliconera interviewed Valcon Games recently, asking about RFA:
How Raiden Fighters Aces Flew to North America

One tidbit from the article:
Siliconera wrote:Does Valcon plan to publish any more shooters on the Xbox 360? A lot of games like Shooting Love 200X, Deathsmiles, Raiden IV, and DoDonPachi are out in the wild.
Colin Gordon of Valcon Games wrote:It really depends on how well Raiden Fighters Aces does for us on the Xbox 360. Personally, I’d love to do more Xbox 360 shooters.
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

Well, I guess that means it's time for me to go to all my local game stores and buy all the copies of RFA. What are life savings for anyway, right?
neist

Post by neist »

yyr wrote:As I sit here at work I wonder if anyone's topped my RF1 Expert Arcade score yet...it's the only #1 score I've ever had on an XBL leaderboard. Heh.

It took me something like an hour to get it...and it's only around 1.7 million, even with the Slave...ugh that mode is hard...I want to see how you guys handle it.
Tried this last hour or so. Best I could manage was a 10 million. I did do it with the Griffin though. :) Even still, I'm second place. First is only 16 million. Not too bad.

I really think this is going to be the only mode I play from now on. It's like turning the game up to 11. You really have to pick your battles. I don't think I can get everything with the Griffin, bonus wise. It'd be nuts if I tried.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

kiken's 1st place position on RFJ normal course (normal difficulty) was short-lived
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Twiddle wrote:kiken's 1st place position on RFJ normal course (normal difficulty) was short-lived
That's cool. All I wanted was the All3 clear. I'll keep working on RF2 though. Gotta hold onto one of these boards. ;)
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I'm just gonna do a half-assed job and get 1st place with every ship except slave and judge spear in RF1, only because twiddle and kiken rape those already.

Aegis? check.
Beast Arrow? check.
Eraser? coming soon.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I found the 1ups in the Raiden Fighters series!

(you get an extend each time you clear a loop in Hard and Very Hard modes)
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

Got this today, liking it so far. Its nice to finally see a decent old school shmup on a next gen system here in the states.
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

SFKhoa wrote:I'm just gonna do a half-assed job and get 1st place with every ship except slave and judge spear in RF1, only because twiddle and kiken rape those already.

Aegis? check.
Beast Arrow? check.
Eraser? coming soon.
You break my Chaser score, I break you! Uhh....rawr? Yeah...that's it.

It's only a matter of time, my scores are crap.
landshark

Post by landshark »

What are everyone's 360 ID's? I've only recognized a few in the highscore tables. Mainly DJIncompetent, and Kiken's initials.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

landshark wrote:What are everyone's 360 ID's? I've only recognized a few in the highscore tables. Mainly DJIncompetent, and Kiken's initials.
maybe someone should make a glossary/thread of 360 IDs.

FYI mine is: dododonpachi

I'm going to try and beat that score attack score in RFJ tonight
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Shumps4Free wrote:Well, I guess that means it's time for me to go to all my local game stores and buy all the copies of RFA. What are life savings for anyway, right?
I bought both copies my GS had, simply because whats $40 when I already gladly pay $70 for new J-360 shmups, I hope they get to produce more.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

nash87 wrote:
landshark wrote:What are everyone's 360 ID's? I've only recognized a few in the highscore tables. Mainly DJIncompetent, and Kiken's initials.
maybe someone should make a glossary/thread of 360 IDs.

FYI mine is: dododonpachi

I'm going to try and beat that score attack score in RFJ tonight
There is one.
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

Damn I'm never getting past stage 3 on RF1 heh.

Does stage order make a significant difference? I have no idea about stage 4 and 5 obviously. But I guess doing the airfield stage first lets you get the first miclus and fairy without difficulty and let you build up power to get quickshots in the forest stage without bombs?
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Kyper wrote:Damn I'm never getting past stage 3 on RF1 heh.
same here, and have been playing the game for 3h or so
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

Kyper wrote:Damn I'm never getting past stage 3 on RF1 heh.

Does stage order make a significant difference? I have no idea about stage 4 and 5 obviously. But I guess doing the airfield stage first lets you get the first miclus and fairy without difficulty and let you build up power to get quickshots in the forest stage without bombs?
I find it easier to get gold medal to pop up going stage 2 then stage 1. Abuse Miclus 1, get slave, abuse Miclus 2, get slave. Then you have the miclus at the beginning of stage 1 to abuse for gold medals. Of course if you play your cards right you'll be using that stage 1 Miclus to make the gold medals explode so you get access to the even beefier gold medals.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

How does changing the settings affect the leaderboards? I know Ikaruga was quite picky with the settings (ie, change them and no leaderboards), but at least it let you know on the spot this would happen.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Matthew Doucette wrote:How does changing the settings affect the leaderboards? I know Ikaruga was quite picky with the settings (ie, change them and no leaderboards), but at least it let you know on the spot this would happen.
you can't change the settings in xbox live mode besides difficulty (each of which are given their own leaderboards) and player set
unban shw
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

I'm not appearing in the leaderboards except in boss rush mode. I'll have to mess with it and see what's up.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Shumps4Free wrote:Well, I guess that means it's time for me to go to all my local game stores and buy all the copies of RFA. What are life savings for anyway, right?
It would make Valcon Games quite happy with all that $$$ rolling in if you decide to do so. If that is what it takes to get them to properly release more 360 shmup titles for the USA shmup fans, so be it. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Matthew Doucette wrote:I'm not appearing in the leaderboards except in boss rush mode. I'll have to mess with it and see what's up.
there are many pages to the leaderboards (some boards have above 200 entries.)

also, your score will not be recorded on Xbox Live until you have the game end at the very end of the game over screen
unban shw
yyr

Post by yyr »

neist wrote:
yyr wrote:As I sit here at work I wonder if anyone's topped my RF1 Expert Arcade score yet...it's the only #1 score I've ever had on an XBL leaderboard. Heh.

It took me something like an hour to get it...and it's only around 1.7 million, even with the Slave...ugh that mode is hard...I want to see how you guys handle it.
Tried this last hour or so. Best I could manage was a 10 million. I did do it with the Griffin though. :) Even still, I'm second place. First is only 16 million. Not too bad.
You may have played on Normal difficulty... As of yesterday afternoon someone had beaten my score but the differential was less than 100,000 points...I think the new #1 was still less than 1.8 million.
Try this on Arcade difficulty...although I can't say that you'll be glad you did. =)
neist

Post by neist »

yyr wrote:
neist wrote:

You may have played on Normal difficulty... As of yesterday afternoon someone had beaten my score but the differential was less than 100,000 points...I think the new #1 was still less than 1.8 million.
Try this on Arcade difficulty...although I can't say that you'll be glad you did. =)
Nope. It was arcade difficulty. :P I can only barely make it into the third level. The third level is insane. The Expert/Normal mode has much higher scores than the Expert/Arcade, but the top of the latter is still 16 million last I checked.

Top score was by a slave that made it a decent ways into the third level.

Edit: I'll double check on this after work to be sure, but I'm nearly, completely positive. I tried playing it on normal and remember it being considerably easier. Those fast moving suicide bullets are a pain.

It's actually considerably easier for me with the laser Griffin. Your beams basically take out everything. You just have to focus on dodging.
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

How do you make fairies and micluses appear?

When I played co-op on the second boss stage we did something that made a few dozen fairies fall from the sky.
~ Dreaming of my Onion Princess ~
neist

Post by neist »

Leroy wrote:How do you make fairies and micluses appear?

When I played co-op on the second boss stage we did something that made a few dozen fairies fall from the sky.
Miclus require you to stay still over a certain spot for a second or two.

Fairies have different conditions for appearing, and honestly, some of the locations are so obtuse that you'll probably never find them all unless you watch superplays.
yyr

Post by yyr »

neist wrote:
yyr wrote:
neist wrote:Tried this last hour or so. Best I could manage was a 10 million. I did do it with the Griffin though. :) Even still, I'm second place. First is only 16 million. Not too bad.
You may have played on Normal difficulty...
Nope. It was arcade difficulty. :P I can only barely make it into the third level. The third level is insane. The Expert/Normal mode has much higher scores than the Expert/Arcade, but the top of the latter is still 16 million last I checked.
Maybe we're not talking about the same leaderboard...

This is RF1 Expert Arcade as of 5/18, about 7pm EST. It's a long way to go from 1.7 million to 16 million!!
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

so I'm getting this game as a gift for housesitting for my sister for a week. lets hope the game stores in town have this game.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Is there an end of game bonus in RFJ?

Finally put together a consistent enough normal run to make it to phase 2 and just squeaked by BBH for fifth.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
originalz

Post by originalz »

Ahaha, IGN reviewed this bad boy!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/982/982674p1.html

Apparently there's not much content here, as all three games are more or less the same. At least you can capture slave ships like in Galaga!