Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Einzelherz

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by Einzelherz »

Yes, GL. They're all better already. No need to worry.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

borti4938 wrote:If someone don't want to have the reset functionality, just leave out the wire to reset (PIF-NUS pin 27). This is also stated in a readme: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... /README.md
That's what it was, thanks for the reminder Borti.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:Yes, GL. They're all better already. No need to worry.
No, Eizenhower. That's not what I meant. I mean, can the RGB picture quality on Tim's board be improved or has it plateaued?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:
No, Eizenhower. That's not what I meant. I mean, can the RGB picture quality on Tim's board be improved or has it plateaued?
Theoretically the R2R ladder could be replaced with a proper DAC, but you won't notice a quality difference on a CRT.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

If you emulate you can get better frame rates and textures. If using original hardware- right now, no.
GeneraLight wrote:
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
Well I've heard that the third revision of the Peruvian clear model has the best composite video out and since I'm using c-video as sync in my rgb-hdmi-vga chain is that true? I really want to have my colors be 102% accurate to what the developers had on their SGI workstations.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Einzelherz wrote: Well I've heard that the third revision of the Peruvian clear model has the best composite video out and since I'm using c-video as sync in my rgb-hdmi-vga chain is that true? I really want to have my colors be 102% accurate to what the developers had on their SGI workstations.
I would assume the SGI workstations would probably have used some type of professional RGB color space metric, as I recall they had some type of color calibration hardware/software specific to each workstation/monitor series. but I'm not sure what it was called. or if it would be helpful. (even after calibration on my own displays I always find myself pushing saturation a little higher than most probably would)
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I think he was joking?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

andykara2003 wrote:I think he was joking?
Yes, very.

My apologies, Blair.
jade88

Post by jade88 »

Does anybody know of a US installer of the etims latest RGB board with the deblur feature? I'm looking to buy a board this week, but i'm curious as to who i would even get to install it. I'm in Virginia btw.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

jade88 wrote:Does anybody know of a US installer of the etims latest RGB board with the deblur feature? I'm looking to buy a board this week, but i'm curious as to who i would even get to install it. I'm in Virginia btw.
Send me a PM if your interested. I'm in indiana and do good work. I can reprogram Tim's board with borti's latest firmware etc.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I can vouch for the quality of citrus' work as well, I ordered an HDMI-modded Gamecube from him that was done very well (though I didn't know he was open again for mod work :wink: )
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:I can vouch for the quality of citrus' work as well, I ordered an HDMI-modded Gamecube from him that was done very well (though I didn't know he was open again for mod work :wink: )
Glad to hear that. I'll PM you Citrus.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

bobrocks95 wrote:(though I didn't know he was open again for mod work :wink: )
I'm still busy :P Im just taking on small projects atm. I need some funding for those wii flex
cables. 8)
Blair

Post by Blair »

Einzelherz wrote:
Yes, very.

My apologies, Blair.
that's okay. it's fun thinking about uber expensive tech from that era like the SGI workstations. I remember drooling over those as a kid when I watched some presentations on them in the early 90's.

also my, N64 serial number is NS22- something so I can't do the old-fashioned RGB mod (I'm assuming). I should open up my system to find out what the video chip version is so I can make my order.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Blair wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:
Yes, very.

My apologies, Blair.
that's okay. it's fun thinking about uber expensive tech from that era like the SGI workstations. I remember drooling over those as a kid when I watched some presentations on them in the early 90's.

also my, N64 serial number is NS22- something so I can't do the old-fashioned RGB mod (I'm assuming). I should open up my system to find out what the video chip version is so I can make my order.
You have a CPU-05 N64. It can't be easily RGB modded.
sonicjhn

Post by sonicjhn »

Hello again! I've finished re-installing the N64RGB board on my console, and now I'm getting a very nice picture quality, but there's still a small issue. Sometimes, brighter areas of the screen shows a very slight screen flashing. It's almost unnoticeable, but definitely it's there.

Can someone help me troubleshooting this issue?

IMPORTANT: I'm using HD Retrovision YPbPr cable directly into a Sony CRT.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I was wondering how much input lag would be created by using the Ultra HDMI on a CRT.

Is there any reason to use the Ultra HDMI over RGB on a CRT?
leonk

Post by leonk »

GeneraLight wrote:I was wondering how much input lag would be created by using the Ultra HDMI on a CRT.

Is there any reason to use the Ultra HDMI over RGB on a CRT?
Ultra HDMI (if you managed to secure one) is a lot more expensive than 2600RGB It's also made for 1080p hdmi LCD. If you want analog RGB (240p) stick to the rgb mods.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I've had the N64 RGB board installed for a while and never noticed any issues (to my CRT, PVM, Framemeister), but more recently when routing the signal through a Genius II noticed the jailbars discussed earlier in this thread.

So I followed Tim's latest instructions to install the ground connection. It successfully removes the jailbars, but it seems to introduce a weird discoloration at times (most prominently in Mario's nose in the Mario 64 intro). I thought maybe I made a mistake on the soldering, but I've been able to confirm that if I disconnect the wire from a screw, the jailbars return and the discoloration goes away. Connecting the wire reproduces the problem. Does anyone else see this? Know what I might have done wrong? I will post a picture if needed.

Thanks,
Steve
sonicjhn

Post by sonicjhn »

ajdesmarais wrote:
sonicjhn wrote:What's up guys? I've installed the N64RGB board on my console yesterday, but I'm getting a picture with a weird artifact that looks like interference.

See video: https://youtu.be/waY7_m_Id6s

Can someone help me?
This is the problem I also have. I've tried dozens of suggestions and repeated the installation from the ground up many times. If you find a solution, let me know. I've tried almost every different sync combination imaginable with 3 different cables, so I really doubt it's a sync issue.
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

The solution is: get rid of that crappy fine pitch adapter!!! :lol:

My modder re-installed everything from the ground again, but this time without the fine pitch adapter, soldering the N64's MAV-NUS chip conectors directly into the N64RGB's MAV-NUS corresponding soldering pads. And now the flickering dots problem is completely gone! My picture looks stunning now!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Uh, you sure your modder didn't just have a cold joint on the adapter? Have there been any other reports of problems with it? It makes the install like 5x easier
sonicjhn

Post by sonicjhn »

bobrocks95 wrote:Uh, you sure your modder didn't just have a cold joint on the adapter? Have there been any other reports of problems with it? It makes the install like 5x easier
Yes, there were other people that I've talked that faces the same issue because of the fine pitch adapter. Looks like it's not as reliable as should be.
Thomas83lin

Post by Thomas83lin »

sonicjhn wrote:
ajdesmarais wrote:
sonicjhn wrote:What's up guys? I've installed the N64RGB board on my console yesterday, but I'm getting a picture with a weird artifact that looks like interference.

See video: https://youtu.be/waY7_m_Id6s

Can someone help me?
This is the problem I also have. I've tried dozens of suggestions and repeated the installation from the ground up many times. If you find a solution, let me know. I've tried almost every different sync combination imaginable with 3 different cables, so I really doubt it's a sync issue.
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

The solution is: get rid of that crappy fine pitch adapter!!! :lol:

My modder re-installed everything from the ground again, but this time without the fine pitch adapter, soldering the N64's MAV-NUS chip conectors directly into the N64RGB's MAV-NUS corresponding soldering pads. And now the flickering dots problem is completely gone! My picture looks stunning now!
I had the same problem. I also have the pitch adapter, but removing it wasn't the fix. Shortening the supplied ribbon cable fixed mine. Length on the data lines was probably your problem also, because I still have my pitch adapter and it's fine.

Here's my thread on my problem and how I fixed it. literally I shortened the ribbon cable almost 3 1/2 inches, probably didn't have to shorten it so much but I didn't want to take any chances.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60351
Last edited by Thomas83lin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Just my $0.02 ...

I've installed dozens of these adapter boards and have never seen those dots. Not on my PVM. Not on my XRGBmini. The only thing I found was the jailbar noise issue and suggested the now commonly used ground loop removal process.

When installing the adapter I use lots of flux, do all the work under my microscope and clean the work site with iso when done. Not sure if others follow the same process. I would never try to solder to that fine pitch IC at this point.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

1) I was wondering how the official RGB mod for Rev. 04 and earlier Nintendo 64 systems compares to Tim's universal RGB Board for all N64 systems. Which mod produces a better picture? Which one is cleaner/sharper and has more vibrant/accurate colors?

2) Can the official RGB mod do De-Blur?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a Rev. 03 N64 (Serial # NS100500585), and a 1080p LED Monitor. I feel like it and the Ultra HDMI were made for each other.

3) Should I have the Ultra HDMI installed on it for the 1080p LED monitor, along with the official RGB mod? Or should I have Tim's RGB Board installed on it for use on a CRT? Or just use the official RGB mod on a CRT? Or use the Ultra HDMI on a CRT?

Thanks
leonk

Post by leonk »

Hope this helps.

1) there is no official rgb mod. All N64 consoles are missing RGB output. Your NS1xxx can use a simple THS7314 or THS7374 rgb amp. Newer N64 consoles require more complex RGB amps that recreate the analog RGB signal from the digital output of the GPU (over simplified explaination)

2) If you connect only to modern LCD. The ultra hdmi is the best (if you can buy it!) Followed by N64RGB + custom deblur firmware + xrgb mini or ossc. The simple rgb amp is least desireable because the hot mess output of the original n64 (blurred image) is still there. Hard to tell diff between simple rgb amp and svideo!!
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

leonk wrote:Hope this helps.

1) there is no official rgb mod. All N64 consoles are missing RGB output. Your NS1xxx can use a simple THS7314 or THS7374 rgb amp. Newer N64 consoles require more complex RGB amps that recreate the analog RGB signal from the digital output of the GPU (over simplified explaination)

2) If you connect only to modern LCD. The ultra hdmi is the best (if you can buy it!) Followed by N64RGB + custom deblur firmware + xrgb mini or ossc. The simple rgb amp is least desireable because the hot mess output of the original n64 (blurred image) is still there. Hard to tell diff between simple rgb amp and svideo!!
Thanks.

So the simple RGB amp mod can't do de-blur? Alright. How is the colors and sharpness compared to the universal RGB board?

I made a list of advantages and disadvantages of using the Ultra HDMI on my LCD instead of RGB on a CRT. Hopefully someone can help me decide.

Pros of Ultra HDMI for me:
  • Perfect match for my 1080p LED monitor, due to scaling up to 1080p
  • Plethora of visual options in the user menu, including scanlines, de-blur, integer scaling, gamma levels, and everything in between.
  • Combined with an Everdrive 64, it feels like the N64 has an OS and a menu of digital games like the Wii.
  • Future-proof (CRTs are no longer made and will all eventually die)
  • Lossless digital audio and video
  • The free optional RGB amp installation alongside the Ultra HDMI synergizes well with my NS1xx console.
Cons of Ultra HDMI for me:
  • Way, way more expensive than the simple RGB amp installation, and still a lot more expensive then buying Tim's RGB Board and paying someone to install it.
  • More input lag than RGB on a CRT, even with minimal settings.
  • Cuts a hole into the back of the console.
  • Doesn't fill the entire screen. Not even x4.5 scaling.
  • Playing N64 on an LCD instead of a CRT
  • The AV Multi-Out goes unused. The optional RGB amp cannot do de-blur.
leonk

Post by leonk »

All your points are correct.

The hdmi port cut is minimal due to mini HDMI connector rather than full size.

If you own xrgb or ossc go with n64rgb otherwise pay the extra for ultra hdmi. Gaming on 50" LCD is great with friends!!
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

General: I suggest you watch all of my life in gamings YouTube channel, and retrorgbs channel. They discuss all of this in great detail.