Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Exo

Re: Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

Post by Exo »

2 bugs:

The boss-warning sign is flashing when your ship is under it even though it should only turn transparent.

1-2 mid-boss is missing its pop-out animation which happens when he enters the screen. It seems to be skipped for some reason.

P.S.: Nice work austere.
austere

Post by austere »

RetroRepair wrote:The input lag is HORRIBLE though. I didn't test exactly what it was but it was like wading through mud.
My almost-vanilla MAME binary is "lagless" as far as I can tell. Nimitz's build will definitely be lagless so you may want to check it out then and let us know.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair »

To be fair, I did grab a non descript binary rather than compile my own, my bad. Not sure why it was any different input-wise from the one you uploaded earlier in the thread though.. I'll stay tuned :)

Seems you improved the audio further than the one I have here too, no missing sample loops that I could hear in the video.

You are also better with a keyboard whilst sleep deprived and a laggy monitor than I am with a controller.. :cry:

Once again, amazing work, funny to think it sat there doing nothing for years then made all this progress in a few days (aside from IQ_132's initial and awesome progress).
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wow, the sound is almost perfect now (watched your clip). I kinda reacted to the switch from the continue over to the GAME OVER Wilhelm scream effect though. It sounded like there was some overlapping.

Will the default settings be fixed as well in the upcoming ShmupMAME?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Firstly, it is nice to see preservation and exploration... but... so ... er ... what happened a la legal concerns?

And I hope everyone enjoying this offsets some karma by buying a port or some merch ...

... I know they didn't help themselves much - I really don't know why more companies don't sell classic ports on steam, doj 360 patchery madness etc - but I'd hate to see cave's [fragile] shmup market suffer via emulation...

...And again see the pc crowd vilified as the piratical enemy of game developers...
austere

Post by austere »

Exo wrote:The boss-warning sign is flashing when your ship is under it even though it should only turn transparent.
I doubt this, PGM is not capable of transluceny as far as I can tell from the VDP information. It'll look translucent if you use a CRT with a slower phosphor or use a feedback effect.
Exo wrote:1-2 mid-boss is missing its pop-out animation which happens when he enters the screen.
Thanks, I'll take a careful look at this one!
gray117 wrote:what happened a la legal concerns?
Read my earlier posts regarding that... 8)
gray117 wrote:And I hope everyone enjoying this offsets some karma by buying a port or some merch ...
Not everyone goes by slave morality. Believe me, the greatest fans of Cave are dumping huge amounts of money into that company's balance book. Ketsui on MAME will only create more Cave fanatics like me. I had heard of DoDonPachi ages ago while I was an undergraduate in University, but I never tried it out. Once I fired it up in MAME ... well, yeah.
emphatic wrote:I kinda reacted to the switch from the continue over to the GAME OVER Wilhelm scream effect though. It sounded like there was some overlapping.
Yeah we're working on this one, still no fix though.
emphatic wrote:Will the default settings be fixed as well in the upcoming ShmupMAME?
Yup!
Last edited by austere on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

Little info for anyone who might be remotely interested: I've uploaded the fps-fixed build to the same link as the previous one. If you are more inclined on using a GUI.... go for it :)
I didn't add the hi-score patch or austere's, at least not until it's confirmed it's lagless and all. And quite frankly, I'm not that keen on the hi-score patch at all :P
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

austere wrote:Ketsui on MAME will only create more Cave fanatics like me.
QFT.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

emphatic wrote:
austere wrote:Ketsui on MAME will only create more Cave fanatics like me.
QFT.
I had my roommate play with my DOJ (PS2 ver) and now everytime he sees a bee he unconsciously turns back to see if he still has hypers in stock. Does that qualify? :D
Pulsewidth

Post by Pulsewidth »

People having problems with input lag are probably having problems with their OS. I suggest installing a Linux distribution in a VM and building MAME with whatever patches you like inside the VM and then booting the same distro from a live CD and running the binary you made in the VM from the live CD (copy it out of the VM, you should be able to access your primary OS's file from the live CD). I recommend a 64bit distro if possible because 64bit gives a major speed boost for most emulation.

These should be close to zero lag if you've got everything configured properly.
austere

Post by austere »

THE wrote:(Cunningly written speculation about the intentions of people involved as well as inneundos about the true purpose of MAME)
gray117 wrote:(Low quality moralising with poor sentence structure and paragraphing, as well as no demonstrated knowledge about the effects of the egalitarian/consumer society we unfortunately live in)
I would respond (quite swiftly and devastatingly) however, it would be a waste of time right now. Consider this a raincheck. Instead, let us steer the topic back to problems people are finding with the emulation. Haze, nimitz et al. are watching this thread so please don't waste their time. If you don't like Ketsui getting emulated -- start another thread or something. We'll be holding our breath with excitement. Those who want things done faster, you may want to avoid responding to further instigation*.

* Yes, I've used this word a lot in this thread, get over it.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Found a little bug in Ketsui its really easy to trigger get enough score to be able to input your Initials etc

When loosing your final life hold down the fast forward button all the way till the ENTER initials screen arrives stop holding the button now and the sound will just cut off from the game,
austere

Post by austere »

Exo wrote:1-2 mid-boss is missing its pop-out animation which happens when he enters the screen. It seems to be skipped for some reason.
Getting back to this, I really can't see it. Can you point out when the animation you speak of happens? Here are two videos you can use as a time reference, please state the time on both videos where the animation diverges.

My crappy video (MAME):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGv3LvpP90#t=3m22s

Mrmonkeyman's superplay (PCB):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxf9W6NlFw#t=38s
Exo

Post by Exo »

austere wrote:
Exo wrote:1-2 mid-boss is missing its pop-out animation which happens when he enters the screen. It seems to be skipped for some reason.
Getting back to this, I really can't see it. Can you point out when the animation you speak of happens? Here are two videos you can use as a time reference, please state the time on both videos where the animation diverges.

My crappy video (MAME):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGv3LvpP90#t=3m22s

Mrmonkeyman's superplay (PCB):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxf9W6NlFw#t=38s

My bad. The bug occurs in the 360 port as well.
It happens when you immediately go to the very left side of the screen after clearing out the enemies at the bridge section.
You can see the edge of the mid-boss sprite before it moves.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Unproductive discussion moved here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34556
austere wrote:Instead, let us steer the topic back to problems people are finding with the emulation. Haze, nimitz et al. are watching this thread so please don't waste their time. If you don't like Ketsui getting emulated -- start another thread or something. We'll be holding our breath with excitement.
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm having a hard time trying to run the RaidenII MAME.exe file. It will run but it keep saying where's the rom directory in the ini. I did that but it is not working! :evil:

Can anyone help me out via PM like sending me your MAME.exe file just for Ketsui with everything working right off the bat?
ryz

Post by ryz »

first, ketsui and DOJ/BL, what a fine christmas gift <3

okay, i'm using archlinux and i've patched (u1 then u2) and compiled the official MAME sources form mamedev.org..

but when i try to start ketsui, mame throws this at me:

Code: Select all

./mame64 ket.zip
WARNING: Couldn't find/open TrueType font Liberation Sans, using MAME default
ketsui_v100.u38 NOT FOUND
ket_igs027a.bin NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN)
pgm_t01s.rom NOT FOUND
text-1.u19 NOT FOUND
image-1.u7 NOT FOUND
image-2.u8 NOT FOUND
bitmap-1.u1 NOT FOUND
music-1.u17 NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
same with DOJ/BL.

when i run the *same* ROMs with the MAME windows binary (that one from d.hatena) under windows 7, everything works fine.

are these windows/mac binaries that float around the internet "special" ones, as in special patched? any way/instruction to run these on linux/unix? any help appreciated.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Finally got it to work. The sound needs some fixing but so far so good.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

It still feels like even after 59.17hz fix that the music is abit too fast in Dai Ou Jou
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Can someone advice on the command line to export "ketsui.inp" to an .avi with the latest binaries?

Is it something like:

mame -playback ketsui.inp -aviwrite
???
austere

Post by austere »

mame ket -playback ketsui.inp -aviwrite ketsui.avi
Don't worry if it stutters or slows down during play, you could even F10 it on a fast machine (with a high bandwidth harddrive) and it'll still be perfect.

Then you can use ffdshow (the latest beta) with VirtualDub to compress it and adjust the aspect ratio from 1:2 to 3:4. Ideally you'd want to use 3x2 pixels but this would screw up the compression so just stick with resizing. I can write a tutorial in another thread if there's enough demand, but not right now.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

whoa! :shock:

This is awesome news! Can't wait to get home and throw this in the cab!

Thanks for making this happen guys!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

austere wrote:

mame ket -playback ketsui.inp -aviwrite ketsui.avi
Then you can use ffdshow (the latest beta) with VirtualDub to compress it and adjust the aspect ratio from 1:2 to 3:4. Ideally you'd want to use 3x2 pixels but this would screw up the compression so just stick with resizing. I can write a tutorial in another thread if there's enough demand, but not right now.
Thanks a lot for the confirmation. But if I would throw in a resolution marker as well like -640x480@60, and use MAMEs visual enhancements (prescaling, scanlines), would the VirtualDub treatment be necessary except for some compression?
Square King

Post by Square King »

I've only played Ketsui once before.

I played it again last night and I'll be playing a lot from now on.

Thanks for the early xmas gift. :D
austere

Post by austere »

emphatic wrote:But if I would throw in a resolution marker as well like -640x480@60, and use MAMEs visual enhancements (prescaling, scanlines), would the VirtualDub treatment be necessary except for some compression?
I haven't played around with this part or studied the relevant MAME code close enough, however my intuition tells me that only the framebuffer/audiostream are being copied over to the video file, without having any rendering done by MAME. You can confirm this by changing the resolution, turning on filters etc.

Also if you want to display Ketsui in a way close to what it's meant to be (and believe me, the difference is noticable, the ability to do this alone makes the emulated version better than the port) set the resolution to a custom modeline to fit the integer scaling. You'll need special video drivers and a CRT of course. With 1 scan line every 3 pixels, it's meant to be pretty damn close. I haven't tried this yet though, so if you do please tell us the results and the procedure! Oh and if you want to run it in a window with integer scaling like before, use -resolution 680x904 in windows XP to account for the pixels on the window frame. As a reference, this is how it looks like for me: (I haven't bothered with fake scanlines yet).

EDIT: Not sure if the modeline I posted is correct, removed it as not to mislead people.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Discussion about emulation and legality can now be continued in gray117's new thread on the topic. Keep it civil.
Nate123

Post by Nate123 »

Um when I posted my build I gust put the improved audio over haze's fixed pgm because I couldn't asick72 to work and I didn't fix frame rate.
ratsflif

Post by ratsflif »

Nate123 wrote:Um when I posted my build I gust put the improved audio over haze's fixed pgm because I couldn't asick72 to work and I didn't fix frame rate.
if someone wants to send me the fixed audio diff or driver for the fixed music, I will post some new builds with the framerate fix and nag screen removed.
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair »

ratsflif wrote: if someone wants to send me the fixed audio diff or driver for the fixed music, I will post some new builds with the framerate fix and nag screen removed.
http://www.raidenii.net/
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nate123 wrote:Um when I posted my build I gust put the improved audio over haze's fixed pgm because I couldn't asick72 to work and I didn't fix frame rate.
How can't you get it to work? I wrote out exactly how to do it in the README. If you can't even read, how can you actually compile this? I couldn't have even written the instructions more clearly. Basically, this image sums you up, in my opinion:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.