Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Octopod wrote:I have no idea how to play these games but Im currently in 7th arcade. My score is super weak and Im sure Itll be way down soon but its nice to be on the top page lol. Why is everyone playing Normal instead of Arcade? Im not even sure what the difference is to be honest.
Enemies in arcade take more damage and bullets seem to be faster. I was wondering why I was able to get 3x quick shot on that first series of planes without bombing, something I never did in MAME. That explains it
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

I like how I see DJI on the top five on pretty much every scoreboard I look at.

I currently hold a first place rank though, so hopefully I can hold on to that! Sadly the online ranking is kinda confusing so I forgot what I topped out. Three different games with multiple modes and multiple difficulties with a scoreboard for each combo is kinda messy.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

nash87 wrote:
Twiddle wrote:
neist wrote: So help me I'm going to 1cc this game without using the slave. That seems too cheap of a way out.
only playable non-slave ships for scoring: ixion, judge spear

though miclus is great for boss kills
once i get my copy I'll have to prove you wrong by breaking 100mil with the blue javelin 8)
try breaking 150
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

I myself have a hard time getting over 15 points with Blue Javelin.
neist

Post by neist »

Twiddle wrote:try breaking 150
Considering there's only a handful of people in the world who can achieve that sort of score, I think that's probably absurd to attempt if using one of the lesser effective planes.

Unless you also assume that your skills are FAR better than those who current hold the records, because they'll have to be to do it.

If I can peak 100 million with Griffin I'd be more than happy. Hit 28 million tonight. Considering the first major time I've spent with the game was starting a few days ago, I think I'm doing just fine.

Progress is ticking along slowly, but consistently. I think I'm going to have to give up on most Miclus and Fairies. There's just no way I can pull it off with the Griffin. It's lasers make it difficult to unlock them. Missles are too difficult to use, so I'll stick with lasers.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Man, those 150 mil + Japanese scores are crazy.

Several days ago I asked the following. If the video settings are just personal preference I understand but I'm still curious:
Dylan1CC wrote: Important question on set up. Which scanline and refresh settings are best to go with respectively on both a plasma w/component and when I'm using a '98 model SDTV w/composite (my trusty TATE tube)?
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

Gaaaah, I can't even break 10mil on Raiden 1 with default settings. Anyone here have an easy time breaking those achievement landmarks with default settings and without using Slave ships? Using Slave is fun and all, but it kinda takes away all the challenge. Not like using Judge is any easier, but it's a preference for me.

Edit: Damn you Acid King! You bumped me out of my top spot for Jet Boss Rush Arcade! And you doubled my score at that!
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Acid King wrote:
Octopod wrote:I have no idea how to play these games but Im currently in 7th arcade. My score is super weak and Im sure Itll be way down soon but its nice to be on the top page lol. Why is everyone playing Normal instead of Arcade? Im not even sure what the difference is to be honest.
Enemies in arcade take more damage and bullets seem to be faster. I was wondering why I was able to get 3x quick shot on that first series of planes without bombing, something I never did in MAME. That explains it
Wow, yeah. Its alot slower. Its disorienting at first. Easily past my arcade score up. I still suck however.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Shumps4Free wrote:I like how I see DJI on the top five on pretty much every scoreboard I look at.
Yeeeeah, there's too many leaderboards ^_^
Twiddle, Kiken, 'n Acid King are the ones to worry about.

What's your gamertag anyway?
neist

Post by neist »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
Shumps4Free wrote:I like how I see DJI on the top five on pretty much every scoreboard I look at.

Lets pray that YCW doesn't get the US version of the game. We're all doomed if he does.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Why aren't you people posting your scores in the respective threads?
Give the rest of us not in US-land some competition too. ;p
neist

Post by neist »

Icarus wrote:Why aren't you people posting your scores in the respective threads?
I will when I get a score I'm proud of getting. :P

Most of my scores so far have come with stupid mistakes.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

As of yesterday I got first in the Endeavor in Raiden 1. I think that score has only held because people think that plane sucks hard.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

DJ Incompetent wrote:

It's Trgrah.

I finally got the 10mil achievement yesterday. Turns out it's a lot easier to get points in Jet than in the other two Raidens.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Icarus wrote:Why aren't you people posting your scores in the respective threads?
A lot of people are playing "normal" on the Xbox game so the socres don't correspond. I'm going to start splitting sessions between arcade and moving to normal for a few runs toward the end, so hopefully I'll be able get some new scores for the board here.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
gamingjustin

Post by gamingjustin »

Dylan1CC wrote:Man, those 150 mil + Japanese scores are crazy.

Several days ago I asked the following. If the video settings are just personal preference I understand but I'm still curious:
Dylan1CC wrote: Important question on set up. Which scanline and refresh settings are best to go with respectively on both a plasma w/component and when I'm using a '98 model SDTV w/composite (my trusty TATE tube)?
It's definitely a matter of what suits you best.

I use an old tube tv and have it set to 54 FPS (blend). 60 FPS looks best but, of course, the game's running faster than it normally would. "Wait" causes (a very small amount of) lag, and "True" makes for a jerky/uneven picture. Blend makes it so each frame has some amount of transparency and fades into the next frame whenever the game's speed doesn't sync up with your tv's refresh rate. It looks odd, but sort of neat in my opinion. It's important to me that I play at the "correct" (slower) speed.

As for scanlines, I don't bother since it's a tube. I have the graphics set to "nearest neighbor, " since every other option just makes things blurry. I don't think there's any best overscan amount either since the game seems to scale quite well no matter what the size.

I've yet to play this on a plasma, but I'd assume scanlines would help sharpen things. As far as refresh rates; just a matter of whether you want to play arcade accurate speed or 10 percent faster.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

Twiddle wrote:
nash87 wrote:
Twiddle wrote: only playable non-slave ships for scoring: ixion, judge spear

though miclus is great for boss kills
once i get my copy I'll have to prove you wrong by breaking 100mil with the blue javelin 8)
try breaking 150
maybe i will 8)
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

Just got my copy last night. MAN there are a TON of options. Been toying around with them this afternoon.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with the quality of this compilation. I've never played the Raiden Fighters series except via emulation. Now I own a legit copy and can really enjoy it.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I was thinking about the difficulties too.

I don't own the 360 game just yet, but it really sounds like the default difficulty is one too easy.

So should I make yet another section on the High Score page for 360 defaults? (I guess I'll move the current 360 scores into this section too)
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
neist

Post by neist »

Smraedis wrote:I was thinking about the difficulties too.

I don't own the 360 game just yet, but it really sounds like the default difficulty is one too easy.

So should I make yet another section on the High Score page for 360 defaults? (I guess I'll move the current 360 scores into this section too)
In the score thread, those who have stated that their score was placed on "Arcade" difficulty is the harder difficulty.

'Normal" is the default, and easier, difficulty. Some people who have posted scores for the 360 version of the game have specifically stated what difficulty they played.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Shumps4Free wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:

It's Trgrah.

I finally got the 10mil achievement yesterday. Turns out it's a lot easier to get points in Jet than in the other two Raidens.
:!:
I got suspended from xbox live??
um...I only played this lately. and space invaders.

I'm so confused
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

DJ Incompetent wrote:

I'm so confused
Wow, seriously? Did you pay your Gold subscription thingy in time? I've heard horror stories about Microsoft and Gold subs. Apparently if you don't keep up with payments they're totally cool with banning your whole account. Apart from that I don't see why would get banned. I guess give them a call to find out what happened.
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

Shumps4Free wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:

I'm so confused
Wow, seriously? Did you pay your Gold subscription thingy in time? I've heard horror stories about Microsoft and Gold subs. Apparently if you don't keep up with payments they're totally cool with banning your whole account. Apart from that I don't see why would get banned. I guess give them a call to find out what happened.

Sorry to take this off topic:

Trust me on this. Calling them will do nothing. You're probably suspended for 1-day. I was suspended this past friday for the word "shits" in my profile. As in, I could give two shits about your virtual life. I was then banned again on Monday and this time for 7 days.

I called up customer service they told me to go to the account suspension forums. What a waste of time. I created a long thread about the issue asking why i was banned for the second time. Bootblack(enforcer) tells me for my bio and then locks the thread. Sent emails and pms - nothing. Called up xbox live again and they tell me i cant speak to anyone else. So i called up microsoft and filed a complaint.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

DJ Incompetent wrote: :!:

I'm so confused
Well I don't know what happen, but I gave you positive rep for what its worth. Also, your profile says "code of conduct" what ever that is…

Nevertheless, thats a crock that you got suspension :evil:
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

gamingjustin: Thanks for the helpful post. 8)
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

Yeah DJI, I'm guessing you got a temp ban for your bio. If I recall it contained some language Microsoft might deem inappropriate. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better your top score for Raiden 1 Expert Normal was just tripled. Not by me mind you.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

nash87 wrote:
Twiddle wrote:
nash87 wrote: once i get my copy I'll have to prove you wrong by breaking 100mil with the blue javelin 8)
try breaking 150
maybe i will 8)
i suggest fairy

graze graze graze graze graze graze graze graze graze graze graze graze
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

YCW are you going to join the US leaderboards that would be pretty cool
unban shw
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

rfaces default (normal) ~= about same difficulty as pcb easy (enemy health might be different though)

arcade difficulty and pcb difficulty are identical though, so they can be used interchangably. (with JP region, of course, since aces US doesn't loop.)

needs separate tables
Shumps4Free wrote:Yeah DJI, I'm guessing you got a temp ban for your bio. If I recall it contained some language Microsoft might deem inappropriate. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better your top score for Raiden 1 Expert Normal was just tripled. Not by me mind you.
make that quadrupled Image
sht_ycw79 wrote:Hard difficulty (2 loop end)
- Normal (Almost same but..harder than world.ver)
- Expert (.....too hard..)
- Boss Rush
16th loop mode
- Very hard difficulty (16 loop end)...OTL
I'm going to test Hard and Very Hard to see if the games loop. If so, I'm going to shriek.
unban shw
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

Twiddle wrote:
Shumps4Free wrote:Yeah DJI, I'm guessing you got a temp ban for your bio. If I recall it contained some language Microsoft might deem inappropriate. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better your top score for Raiden 1 Expert Normal was just tripled. Not by me mind you.
make that quadrupled Image
Well, there goes my dreams of hitting the #1 spot. When I get off of work I'm gonna try to break into the #3 spot for the third time. The second time I got third place I beat out the #2 guys score right as someone beat out the old first score, so it auto-bumped me down to #3. That was pretty discouraging.