XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
alebove

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by alebove »

Hi all! I've been reading this forum for many years but this is my first post :)

I want to buy a xrgb mini (and at some point also a PVM or BVM) and have a question.
If I use a 1440p monitor (easier for tilt in vertical shooters), as the xrgb outputs in 1080p max, does it mean that I'll get black boards at the top and bottom?
I'm asking this because Fudoh in his review mentions something similar with 1200p screens.

I guess in that case I'd better use a 1080p monitor.

Thanks in advance for your help!
springman

Post by springman »

BuckoA51 wrote: Try a clean (composite) sync cable, that's working well for me on my white Model 2 Saturn.
Thanks and I've just tried.

Got a cable from a friend and I'd confirmed that it's CSYNC (Saturn PIN1 to XRGB-Mini PIN9) by a meter.

Too bad ... :cry: :evil:

TOTALLY IDENTICAL RESULTS

I've also juggled with SKEW and sync level and other settings. That flash still comes up once in a while.

Could that be the console?

Thanks ...
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Hi guys, I've just received my power supply for my xrgb mini and I used the link from http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... AMEMEISTER and from the suggested power supply it provides a link to Amazon.co.uk

The power supply on Amazon says 5 Volt Mains 2a but what I've received is 5 Volt Mains 3A.

So now I'm a bit nervous plugging this into my Framemeister in fear of frying the thing. Can anyone advise if this is going to be safe to use?
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

TrendyNinja wrote:Hi guys, I've just received my power supply for my xrgb mini and I used the link from http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... AMEMEISTER and from the suggested power supply it provides a link to Amazon.co.uk

The power supply on Amazon says 5 Volt Mains 2a but what I've received is 5 Volt Mains 3A.

So now I'm a bit nervous plugging this into my Framemeister in fear of frying the thing. Can anyone advise if this is going to be safe to use?
It's fine, amps is the maximum load it'll provide. The Framemeister will use less than that.
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Thanks eightbitminiboss :)
alebove

Post by alebove »

Another question: if I want to use scanlines, is 720p still the preferred output?
I've read on the Wiki that if you want to use scanlines they recommend going with 720p rather than 1080p.

Thanks again!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Yes, scanlines still don't look good at 1080p.
springman

Post by springman »

BuckoA51 wrote:
One issue on my Saturn is bugging me though. Finally a few days ago I got a Saturn RGB cable from an unknown source in Hong Kong. The cable was actually quite fine; the shipping was great as well. My Saturn, however, randomly gives this:
Try a clean (composite) sync cable, that's working well for me on my white Model 2 Saturn.

Another piece of bad news ...

The same random flashes happen to my Taro DC VGA box (RGB 15K output at 240p with Street Fighter III Third Strike) as well ...

I'm now starting to worry about my XRGB-Mini! But it handles 240p through RGB from SFC and MD very well.

Please help! Thanks!
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

scottmog wrote:Can I run a Genuine Nintendo Hvc-002 straight to the wall in the USA? Or should I get a step down block since I am getting the waves?
Yes. I prefer to just use a Sega Genesis 1602 AC adapter instead of the HVC-002 though.
schadenfreude

Post by schadenfreude »

Many many pages ago in this prohibitively long thread, GohanX mentioned getting scanlines in 720p that didn't look quite right (there are a few posts afterwards discussing it):
GohanX wrote:Hey guys, I'm having a slight issue and I've been messing with the settings and can't figure out a solution.

When I have a solid color screen (all white, or sky blue background, or something) and I have scanlines enabled it looks like there are faint bands in the lines, kind of like jailbars but horizontal. I don't notice them if there is something on the screen, just when it's all (or mostly) a solid color. I've tried it with the Genesis and a few different Neo Geos in RGB and also the Wii U in HDMI.

I usually play it in "Picture" mode in 720p with scanlines, as my sources are either old stuff in 240p RGB or the Wii U in 480p for VC games. I have the latest firmware, although the issue was present in the 1.8 firmware. I have tried adjusting everything I could think of and the only thing that changes it at all is the V WIDTH setting (32) but changing it does other weird things with the scanlines. The image still looks great, and it's barely noticeable, but maybe someone has an idea to make it just a little bit better.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=4620

I'm getting similar misbehavior that I'll call "uneven scanlines". Specifically, on a section of the screen with a solid color, I can see that alternating scanlines have slightly different height. Basically, the first one will have a certain height h1, the next one will have a slightly smaller height h2, then the next one will be h1, then h2, then h1, and so on down the screen. However, when there are lots of different colors and objects, it's not noticeable at all (I'm sure it's still occurring, but it's hard to notice). I care because I've been playing a lot of Famicom and Mega Drive games lately that frequently use solid colors in their backgrounds, so it's very noticeable and very distracting.

I've tried two different 1080p screens, one a plasma and one an LCD, and both of them exhibit this same behavior. And to clarify, I am using 720p output and the suggested 240p settings over at the junkerhq Wiki page. Is this caused by the monitor, as replies to GohanX implied, or has anyone found a way to fix it in the Framemeister settings?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

definitely caused by the display(s). With 720p output, the Mini does output a straight 1:2 scanline pattern. One darkened line, two raw pixel lines. There are enough video captures out there, in which you can see this.
MMJuno

Post by MMJuno »

schadenfreude: *If* your TV has settings to adjust the overscan, you may be able to get it to look correct. My old Samsung LCD didn't seem to have a way to adjust it, so I was stuck with the uneven scanlines until I got a new TV.

Depending on the TV make, this could be called various things: overscan, picture size, or something along those lines.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

springman wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
One issue on my Saturn is bugging me though. Finally a few days ago I got a Saturn RGB cable from an unknown source in Hong Kong. The cable was actually quite fine; the shipping was great as well. My Saturn, however, randomly gives this:
Try a clean (composite) sync cable, that's working well for me on my white Model 2 Saturn.

Another piece of bad news ...

The same random flashes happen to my Taro DC VGA box (RGB 15K output at 240p with Street Fighter III Third Strike) as well ...

I'm now starting to worry about my XRGB-Mini! But it handles 240p through RGB from SFC and MD very well.

Please help! Thanks!
What SCART to minidin are you using?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
springman

Post by springman »

BuckoA51 wrote: What SCART to minidin are you using?
A Toro SCART to XRGB adapter BeharsBro made me specially, that saves me from having to get all those converters.

Thanks to Fudoh who suggested me to try resistors and caps in this adapter and my Saturn cable.

Though I'm still fixing and so far artifacts are still there.

Thanks, guys. I just have to resolve this!
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Well I finally received my XRGB-mini Framemeister yesterday, all set up and relatively happy but I have had a few issues with my Gamecube and NTSC RGB modded N64.

Firstly, the Gamecube picture is just constantly flickering. I've switched off the auto sync and tried manually but with absolutely no joy. Manually at setting 11-12 it retains a picture for a about 5 seconds but then will start flickering again. As for the N64, that's just providing me with sound and no picture. :(

Currently I'm going through component with my PS2 and I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality, I've read a few comments on here that PS2 and using component are not the best of options but I for one am quite happy. This is just the PAL version of the PS2.

SNES, Megadrive, NES all work beautifully.

Original Xbox...ewww...not good at all. Tried using Official MS Scart and a 3rd party component with really poor results. Colours look washed out and image just isn't sharp at all. Not too sure as to what is going on here. I know the xrgb mini is ideally designed for retro consoles but I did think it would have helped to improve the picture somewhat with the Xbox as it has done for the PS2. Does anybody else use the original Xbox through there Xrgb mini and if so what settings are you using?

Dreamcast is okay, not brilliant (using official scart) but I do have a Toro video box for the Dreamcast on order.

The problem I guess is that I'm just not getting the best optimal settings for each of my consoles. The Xrgb mini is an awesome upscaler but with so many options available to you it can be hard for a noob like me to get the best out of it. Do we have a full guide anywhere as to what the best settings are? All of my consoles are PAL apart from the modded N64.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I needed to use a sync cleaner with my N64 (RGB amp mod) before I was able to get a picture.

As for settings, there's lots on the wiki (http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... AMEMEISTER), though it really depends on your TV if Xbox will look better or worse through the Mini. You're running your Xbox in 480p I take it?
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Hi BuckoA51,

My PAL Xbox has been softmodded this week so that I can set it to NTSC and output at 480p. To be honest, after doing this I don't think that it's worth running it though the xrgb mini as I was pleasantly suprised after doing the softmod how much better it looks. Unless anybody knows different and can get games to look even better then please let me know. :) Just to clarify I do NOT use my Xbox for playing copied games, this softmod was done purely to enable the consoles ability to output at 480p as 480i on my Sony Bravia looked truly awful. All of my games are original.

This my TV: http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd ... our=Silver

So a relatively new TV...I just wish the backlight gave a bit more...light.

Looks like I may have to buy the sync stripper for the xrgb mini in order to use my RGB N64.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

480p from the the XBox is certainly the best way. If you have a free component input on your TV, then you're fine anyway. You can add a simple component to HDMI converter if you like. Still better than running it through the Mini.

On the N64 you can try to use Luma for sync before adding a stripper IC.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Just to clarify I do NOT use my Xbox for playing copied games, this softmod was done purely to enable the consoles ability to output at 480p
Seriously, it's an original Xbox, nobody minds what you do with it :lol:

(Well, as long as you don't start posting requests for ISOs or anything like that of course)
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Fudoh wrote:480p from the the XBox is certainly the best way. If you have a free component input on your TV, then you're fine anyway. You can add a simple component to HDMI converter if you like. Still better than running it through the Mini.

On the N64 you can try to use Luma for sync before adding a stripper IC.
I was quite blown away at how different games look in 480p as opposed to 480i on the Xbox. I started playing Sniper Elite (one of my favourite games) and was so happy at how much clearer the picture was, and then I tried KOTOR and was pleased to see text that was now clear and sharp to read. I know 480i isn't as good as 480p but I didn't really think it would make that much of a difference.

Sorry to ask a noob question but what is a Luma?
schadenfreude

Post by schadenfreude »

Thanks for the tips, Fudoh and MMJuno. I flipped through various settings on the monitor but couldn't find anything about adjusting the picture size. Do you know what models of TVs and computer monitors allow you to make these adjustments, or, more general, what displays work best with the Framemeister? I am thinking there might be a resource out there like the Display Lag database (http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/) but for friends of XRGBs.
IrishNinja

Post by IrishNinja »

been outta the loop for a while - what's the latest firmware?
...go play Mars Matrix
Backloggery
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

IrishNinja wrote:been outta the loop for a while - what's the latest firmware?
Version 1.11 from May 16th, 2014.

So no worries - the firmware has been outta the loop for awhile as well. :mrgreen:
Shuco13

Post by Shuco13 »

Does it make a difference for the mini if a YUV signal is fed via HDMI or component?
...aka 12345
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

Hi everyone, it's been forever since I posted round these parts, but I came across an issue I just couldn't find anywhere else online.

So I just got a framemeister delivered today, and it's doing the craziest thing - when I tried playing 240p signals from a PS2 (via component), Saturn (via RGB), and dreamcast (via SVideo), I would get these sploshes of white, almost video distortion looking space every few seconds taking up most of the screen for a second or so. On the PS2 and Dreamcast, games that run at 480i run perfectly fine, though. It's just the 240p stuff.

To make matters even weirder, I hooked up my Genesis using composite, and it played games with no issues, so it's not just a 240p thing.

I'm totally confused. Anyone ever run across this problem before? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I am running firmware 1.08. I'm going to pick up a micro SD tomorrow and update the firmware to see if that helps; hopefully it is just an issue with old firmware?
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

ahnslaught wrote:Hi everyone, it's been forever since I posted round these parts, but I came across an issue I just couldn't find anywhere else online.

So I just got a framemeister delivered today, and it's doing the craziest thing - when I tried playing 240p signals from a PS2 (via component), Saturn (via RGB), and dreamcast (via SVideo), I would get these sploshes of white, almost video distortion looking space every few seconds taking up most of the screen for a second or so. On the PS2 and Dreamcast, games that run at 480i run perfectly fine, though. It's just the 240p stuff.

To make matters even weirder, I hooked up my Genesis using composite, and it played games with no issues, so it's not just a 240p thing.

I'm totally confused. Anyone ever run across this problem before? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I am running firmware 1.08. I'm going to pick up a micro SD tomorrow and update the firmware to see if that helps; hopefully it is just an issue with old firmware?
Pick up? There should have been a microSD card in the box already.

This wasn't a used Framemeister is it?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

They removed the microSD card to cut down costs.

Can you make a photo of the problem? I've never heard of that and I doubt that a firmware update will help...
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

Ok, I uploaded a quick video which shows the effect here: http://youtu.be/rR6L8YWQFnI

That effect continues every 30 seconds or so while playing 240p sources, with the exception of the Genesis via composite.

To add to the weirdness, I woke up and turned on my PS2 and stuck in Einhander, then turned on the framemeister. For the first playthrough, there were no issues at all, but after it went back to the title screen, the issue started again. So now I'm thinking it's some issue where the framemeister is switching from 480i to 240p?

Oh yeah, I did not receive a micro SD with mine - I ordered it from Solaris new, which every review site said is legit. Just in case the device is faulty, has anyone ever dealt with their returns?
springman

Post by springman »

ahnslaught wrote:Ok, I uploaded a quick video which shows the effect here: http://youtu.be/rR6L8YWQFnI

That effect continues every 30 seconds or so while playing 240p sources, with the exception of the Genesis via composite.

To add to the weirdness, I woke up and turned on my PS2 and stuck in Einhander, then turned on the framemeister. For the first playthrough, there were no issues at all, but after it went back to the title screen, the issue started again. So now I'm thinking it's some issue where the framemeister is switching from 480i to 240p?

Oh yeah, I did not receive a micro SD with mine - I ordered it from Solaris new, which every review site said is legit. Just in case the device is faulty, has anyone ever dealt with their returns?
Well ... this is what I have with Saturn@240p and DC@240p (SF3.3 with Start+L pressed at startup), both with sync set to Auto on Mini:

http://tinypic.com/r/16adrtd/8

I didn't count seriously but the flash comes up around twice in 180 secs.

Tried everything from caps and resistors. Still there.

I believe I got my Mini around your shipment too. I bought it in Japan last month through Amazon Japan. I'm gonna drop Micomsoft a message.

I'm very frustrated. Damn.
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

springman wrote:Well ... this is what I have with Saturn@240p and DC@240p (SF3.3 with Start+L pressed at startup), both with sync set to Auto on Mini:

http://tinypic.com/r/16adrtd/8

I didn't count seriously but the flash comes up around twice in 180 secs.

Tried everything from caps and resistors. Still there.

I believe I got my Mini around your shipment too. I bought it in Japan last month through Amazon Japan. I'm gonna drop Micomsoft a message.

I'm very frustrated. Damn.
Yeah, that's pretty similar to my problem, that same flash of rainbow colors, though mine definitely occurs more often. Is your 480 stuff playing just fine, though?

Man, this is such a bummer - I was all excited and now I'm spending the whole weekend troubleshooting and doing anything but playing.

EDIT: I think I found the issue! I turned off the auto sync mode for each input setting, and it works perfectly now. Does anyone know where I can go to for information on why that was the case? So happy it works - now I can just stare at these amazing looking games the rest of the day.