Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Lander

Re: Jarpig pride worldwide (Let's talk about JRPGs)

Post by Lander »

Sumez wrote:Given Mario Bros Wonder, it seems regulation is out of the window :P
Yeah, it almost feels like a pendulum effect after so long of the sanitized NSMB style.
I just wish they'd done the same with the music. Mama mia, not Bah Bah a-capella again Image
Sumez wrote:I find it hard to subscribe to the idea that "paper Mario has lost its color". Its tough to think of a game thats more wacky, fun and colorful than Origami King.
Origami King has creativity and funnies, but I found the broader experience to be hollow and something of a downer.
Like a theme park version of Paper Mario; distinctly-bounded zones with a set theme, reinforced by companions who go to great lengths to leave the party and conveniently forego character development.

For example:
Spoiler
The Bob-Omb fast-tracking his character arc just in time to commit noble seppuku and open the door out of his designated plot area.

Oh no! Mario, what's-his-name DIED for us! FEEEEELS and then five minutes later you're razzing around the desert in a shoe car.
Just... Eh. That's not the caliber of writing I remember the series for.
Last edited by Lander on Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Just pleased they can be fucked to translate it this time.
On this note, I'm actually interested to see what they do with the enemy quips revealed by Mallow's mind-reading ability; if memory serves in the Japanese release a lot of what they said were references to various Japanese TV shows and the like, but were redone as unrelated generic statements for the US version. Off the cuff I'd also be curious to hear how all the licensing/IP rights stuff was worked out, since the game was a joint Square/Nintendo venture; I always figured untangling that area made the game an unlikely candidate for a sequel/re-release, but neat to see they somehow managed to pull it off.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I had assumed it was a work-for-hire like they did with Dragalia Lost. Revenue sharing deals always get screwed up as one side wants all of the money, and there's always a load of internal politics about what projects succeed (better the whole company goes down in flames, than if someone else gets the credit. This is applicable to Square's mobile division as well); Dragalia Lost was sabotaged by the old guard at Nintendo pretty much day one.

It's a bit surprising to read that Geno was copyrighted by Square. Things must have been much more naive and innocent back in those days... Heh. >_>

The "just use the original models as much as possible" thing is something I wish more remakes did. Diablo 2 aging up its entire cast by 50 years, isn't as good as using all that money they spent on re-doing old assets, into making a bigger game instead.

I kind of hope they do add some more characters to this one: I didn't like the OC's and went with a party of the OG's as soon as I could. There are a lot of Mario characters they could add. I know they won't, but it's more fun to pretend, ya know?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

A game I've wanted to play for a long fckin' time is Metal Max 2

I loved MM Reloaded on superfamicom.

but MM2 Reloaded on DS has got a fan translation at last, so I can finally play it. :o
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BryanM wrote:I kind of hope they do add some more characters to this one: I didn't like the OC's and went with a party of the OG's as soon as I could. There are a lot of Mario characters they could add. I know they won't, but it's more fun to pretend, ya know?
If this remake is received well I'd imagine you might well get your wish down the line in the form of a sequel/gaiden/etc. - now that AlphaDream is defunct and Paper Mario has gone off in its own...controversial direction I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is using this remake as a test run for another go at doing more RPG-ish stuff with the Mario property.

Off to the side, while I enjoyed the game plenty back in real time, in retrospect I actually appreciate it even more; in the mid-90s RPGs weren't localized nearly as often so fans, myself included, would take pretty much any generic thing that came along, but now in the era of more low-effort RPGMaker releases than can be counted it's kind of astounding to look back at SMRPG and how much it shook up the formula when it really didn't even need to, to the point that even nowadays it still stands out from most of the much larger crowd. Here's hoping the new version can still give my increasingly calcified self at least a bit of those same warm fuzzies.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lander wrote:
Sumez wrote:Given Mario Bros Wonder, it seems regulation is out of the window :P
Yeah, it almost feels like a pendulum effect after so long of the sanitized NSMB style.
I just wish they'd done the same with the music. Mama mia, not Bah Bah a-capella again Image
Dude, that new music sounds so awesome. Not a massive fan of the NSMB music, but this just feels good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdvr-OAxUBg
Origami King has creativity and funnies, but I found the broader experience to be hollow and something of a downer.
Like a theme park version of Paper Mario; distinctly-bounded zones with a set theme, reinforced by companions who go to great lengths to leave the party and conveniently forego character development.

For example:
Spoiler
The Bob-Omb fast-tracking his character arc just in time to commit noble seppuku and open the door out of his designated plot area.

Oh no! Mario, what's-his-name DIED for us! FEEEEELS and then five minutes later you're razzing around the desert in a shoe car.
Just... Eh. That's not the caliber of writing I remember the series for.
I don't know, if you remember deep and emotional writing with solid character arcs, I'm not sure which Paper Mario games you have been playing. "distinctly-bounded zones with a set theme" is exactly what the series has been doing since the first game, with TTYD probably being the biggest "offender", if you want to look at it that way. Personally I think it's a part of the charm.

Whenever people complain about the new Paper Mario games, it seems to me like there's some really rose tinted goggles going on. I like the older games as much as I like the newer ones (didn't play Sticker Star, because that's the universally hated one that I'm probably gonna get nothing out of, but Colour Splash is massively underrated), but it's really not the holy cow it's being made out to be. TTYD especially suffers from some massive issues, though it has a lot of appeal as well.
The most common criticism is giving up the stats and exp based combat system that "gives you a reason to fight the enemies at all". And while I get it to some extent, it's not like combat in any of the Paper Mario games was ever actually *good*. IMO the reason to fight enemies should be that the battles are actually fun, no? PM64 and TTYD is absolutely not a gold standard that should be aimed for. Bug Fables took that idea and used it to create actually super fun and tactical battles, so if you want Paper Mario to return to something to that extent, that's probably the direction to look.

But in terms of actually employing fun and creative setpieces, turning the Mario world on its head and relying on self depracating humor - the last two Paper Mario games have been doing that better than ever. The creativity on display in these games is mind boggling.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Sumez wrote:But in terms of actually employing fun and creative setpieces, turning the Mario world on its head and relying on self depracating humor - the last two Paper Mario games have been doing that better than ever.
First two Paper Marios are hardly deep stories, but they've a simple charm to them and while character arcs are thin, there's still a sense the characters do take the world and situations they inhabit somewhat seriously. I haven't played Origami King so maybe it's been toned down but Super Paper Mario already started to lean more heavily into "wacky stuff that you wouldn't expect from Mario" and in Color Splash very few characters come across anything more than quip dispensers (imagine every single NPC talking like the crows in TTYD and you got CS :P ), not to mention the way paper aesthetic has seeped more and more into writing. Almost feels like an overcorrection after Sticker Star and the constant lampshading of your own scenarios just stops being that impactful after a while. Not to say the later games don't have their moments and I don't really mind experimenting with gameplay styles even if the results are somewhat mixed (the fan backlash certainly has been rather excessive), just that the series' overall tone has gone through some insidious changes over time.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you don't like the tone of Colour Splash, you won't like the tone of Origami King, it's basically the exact same thing. They ditched the pointless "level" structure, and the combat now has an interesting puzzle element to it - aside from that it's a direct sequel.

And yeah, the bigger difference between the earlier games would probably be that the first two Paper Mario generally played things more straight, rather than just feeling like an extended parade of silly setpieces. But with that in mind, I still absolutely cannot understand lamenting a "lack of color", because that's the last thing Origami King (and CS) is missing. I found the game extremely entertaining, and even when it wasn't just trying to be funny via quips, simply the various settings and ideas for adventures that Mario goes on throughout the game was really just an endless supply of delight for me.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Sumez wrote:Dude, that new music sounds so awesome. Not a massive fan of the NSMB music, but this just feels good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdvr-OAxUBg
The instrumentation is nice, and I suppose the a-capella itself is at least actual voices rather than samples now. But damn if my knee didn't jerkslam into the desk around 0:07 while watching the direct :P
Sumez wrote:I don't know, if you remember deep and emotional writing with solid character arcs, I'm not sure which Paper Mario games you have been playing. "distinctly-bounded zones with a set theme" is exactly what the series has been doing since the first game, with TTYD probably being the biggest "offender", if you want to look at it that way. Personally I think it's a part of the charm.

Whenever people complain about the new Paper Mario games, it seems to me like there's some really rose tinted goggles going on. I like the older games as much as I like the newer ones (didn't play Sticker Star, because that's the universally hated one that I'm probably gonna get nothing out of, but Colour Splash is massively underrated), but it's really not the holy cow it's being made out to be. TTYD especially suffers from some massive issues, though it has a lot of appeal as well.
The most common criticism is giving up the stats and exp based combat system that "gives you a reason to fight the enemies at all". And while I get it to some extent, it's not like combat in any of the Paper Mario games was ever actually *good*. IMO the reason to fight enemies should be that the battles are actually fun, no? PM64 and TTYD is absolutely not a gold standard that should be aimed for. Bug Fables took that idea and used it to create actually super fun and tactical battles, so if you want Paper Mario to return to something to that extent, that's probably the direction to look.

But in terms of actually employing fun and creative setpieces, turning the Mario world on its head and relying on self depracating humor - the last two Paper Mario games have been doing that better than ever. The creativity on display in these games is mind boggling.
I wouldn't put TTYD up there with Planescape for character writing, but I definitely found its cast and events more memorable.
Take Doopliss as an example - that whole sequence works because the party is still a party when you take Mario out of the picture, so is able to support the new perspective it's framed in.
By design I don't think Origami King could pull off something comparable, since Olivia is too chipper and inoffensive to be much more than a Navi, Peach and Bowser are largely indisposed, and everyone else is temporary.

It's true that the older games were also made of distinct zones, but I found their worlds more cohesive - a patchwork of odd subcultures that would occasionally cross-pollenate, with interstitial areas like Rougeport and the Excess Express providing a connective DMZ to play with that idea, whereas Origami King is way more segmented.

Combat-wise, I thought it was a fun core since sets of puzzle encounters that each have a most-efficient-solve to derive are a nice way to keep fights interesting, but in practical terms ended up skipping fights once i'd seen a few encounters in each area due to the zero-sum setup.
It's a classic RPG design problem; battles being intrinsically fun is a motivator that only lasts until repetition sets in - which naturally comes quicker with discrete numeric / logic systems versus their real-time equivalents due to having less total permutations - thus causing designers to reach for extrinsic incentives like EXP or rare drops in order to make up the difference for longer titles.

I think there's a lot to be said for more novel abstractions, but in recent years Ninty seems to have developed a fascination with zero-sum item / progression economies (Odyssey and BotW having no 100% reward, BotW / TotK / PM relying on transient breakables, etc) which puts the intrinsic horse before the fun-for-the-whole-duration cart in forgetting that repetition is something you actually have to design around.

I don't think it would take too much to fix in PM's case - either ensure each encounter is unique and lean in on a 'collect them all' sort of idea (which it almost already does with the practice machine), or add a trade-in shop between the larger combat areas that can be used to convert otherwise-throwaway drops into badges that grant some unique ability, thus broadening the scope of battles and giving the player a reason to play well beyond accumulating enough stuff to stomp the next boss.
Sumez wrote:I still absolutely cannot understand lamenting a "lack of color"
Think of it as a figurative turn of phrase with mild wink-nudge in the direction of Color Splash :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's a classic RPG design problem; battles being intrinsically fun is a motivator that only lasts until repetition sets in - which naturally comes quicker with discrete numeric / logic systems versus their real-time equivalents due to having less total permutations - thus causing designers to reach for extrinsic incentives like EXP or rare drops in order to make up the difference for longer titles.
The power of unfair BS RNG really gets underestimated here. Too few turn based combat systems really make use of that. I agree, it's not fun when a combat setup is repeated to the point where you'll just pull off the same pattern every time.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Rewards are definitely foundational to the genre. It's very much in the same vein of slot machines and pachinkos: it's not supposed to be intellectually demanding, it's supposed to be more like taking a walk in a park and taking the time to reflect on the universe with your thoughts. As the game dumps bigger numbers, new skills, new characters, new grinding zones into your lap.

From Dragon Quest to Cookie Clicker to Tokimeki.

With long runners like MMOs and gachas it can be a real problem though. If you're doing something you don't want to do in exchange for a reward, then what you have isn't a hobby. It's a job.

I think that's one reason more intrinsically-motivated action games like Dungeon Fighter or Gothic Wa Mahou Otome (seemingly the only thing Cave seems to have left?) are a tiny tiny niche of the market. They're just not compatible with incremental long term play like a Cookie Clicker or Dragon Quest are.

In retrospect what Dragon Warrior 1 lacks is really only rewards: The grinding zones are rather small and barren, rarely with tertiary rewards to chase after like the gold in the mountain cave. The monsters don't drop random items. Your hero has access to all the spells, you can't want things that you have, so there's less replay value without different classes/characters to play as.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I think there's room for intellectual demand if a given system has enough challenge and / or depth to it, but the intrinsic fun meter is still going to run out eventually without something to top it up.
Sumez wrote:The power of unfair BS RNG really gets underestimated here. Too few turn based combat systems really make use of that. I agree, it's not fun when a combat setup is repeated to the point where you'll just pull off the same pattern every time.
Atlus has entered the room, eh :)

I tend more in the direction of determinism, since the BS aspect can make brutal RNG hard to swallow if the balance isn't super fine. I think it took me ~15 attempts to nail down the final encounter of Persona 3 due to its random enrage effect making the party tear itself apart.
Credit where it's due, that extreme tension made the TLB really exciting on the winning run, but I was on the knife edge of binning it at the finish line. Haven't had the fortitude to touch another SMT game since :P

Shadows over Loathing touches on some interesting design in its early game - character progression happens wholly through hand-placed items, and enemy encounters are all pre-set and play out the same way each time.
So in a sense it becomes a puzzle game of building the right loadout for a given fight, and figuring out the correct set of choices to finish the encounter without dying. All very fixed, but the variety is constant so it works nicely as a vehicle to drive the wider plot shenanigans.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think a good mix is the solution, as with game design in most genres. You want a reliable toolset that can be used to deal with unpredictable situations.
One of the worst examples I can think of with deterministic combat in a jarpig was Radiant Historia. Every area has like three or so different enemy constellations, and you'll use the exact same skills every time to defeat the enemies in the exact same way every time. I don't care what the "reward" is, that can never be fun to me.

It's infuriating, because the game has the foundation for a cool puzzle-oriented battle system based on the ability to move enemies along a grid of rows and columns and combining that with skills which target specific tiles. But it's never actually used in any sort of fun and creative way outside of the TLB.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Sumez wrote:I think a good mix is the solution, as with game design in most genres. You want a reliable toolset that can be used to deal with unpredictable situations.
One of the worst examples I can think of with deterministic combat in a jarpig was Radiant Historia. Every area has like three or so different enemy constellations, and you'll use the exact same skills every time to defeat the enemies in the exact same way every time. I don't care what the "reward" is, that can never be fun to me.

It's infuriating, because the game has the foundation for a cool puzzle-oriented battle system based on the ability to move enemies along a grid of rows and columns and combining that with skills which target specific tiles. But it's never actually used in any sort of fun and creative way outside of the TLB.
Yeah, I couldn't stand Radiant Historia either. It felt like I was endlessly replaying the same five minutes of "content" with few-to-no changes. The number of roadblocks requiring you to go back in time five seconds to tie your shoelace so you don't fall on the train tracks and die, etc, just happened way too much. Constant contrived roadblocks to progress aren't fun.

I realize that was the fundamental conceit of the game. I'm saying it's shit. I love the sprite art and music of Radiant Historia but that's about all.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, those parts are good. The actual videogame part is atrocious. That and a massive amount of pointless dialogue only serving to perpetuate the same one-dimensional cliche character traits.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I strongly disagree on this one.

There's nothing generic about even Sky 1's early game. Unless you take it in the absolute broadest strokes of "boy and girl in a village are shoved into a bigger adventure", and there is the vibe of that certain kind of late 90's japanese roleplaying game (the type of which is extinct and was far too shortlived even in its heyday to be called "generic" IMO), but Sky 1's slice of life early game is utterly inimitable in its sense of warmth, atmosphere, character and setting building, etc.
Oh hey look it's another example of what I've been talking about where people just kinda say "oh this is generic" without any sort of context. Fortunately Sora no Kiseki is at least generally known and respected for being different. Thank you.
Sumez wrote:I find it hard to subscribe to the idea that "paper Mario has lost its color". Its tough to think of a game thats more wacky, fun and colorful than Origami King.
Oh look it's yet another example, except it's by a guy who insisted on saying the opposite about another series just a few posts above?????

Y'all, this shit is relative. This whole idea of "generic"-ness is based purely on kneejerk reactions coming from minds tormented daily by the existence of the internet. It's important to fight this, especially on this forum, dedicated to a genre that has long been said to be the epitome of "generic" by the vast majority of the public.

Anyway FF16 is apparently extremely good, I'd like to hear more about it from people who actually played it. All the "everything after 12 except maybe 14 is bad" from a few pages back is just funny and sad in 2023. Also 16 is by the 14 devs anyway.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So it's not possible to talk about whether something feels generic or not, because people will have different opinions on it? I'm confused about what point you're trying to make, sounds more like you are just trying to be contradictory for the sake of it.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Of course someone who constantly tries to be contradictory for the sake of it would say something like that.

You can't have an "opinion" about whether something is "generic" or not. That doesn't even make sense! The entire concept of "genericness" comes from the idea of absorbing trends to such a degree that your brain becomes addled by it. The problem is that this can affect the public as much as it can the creators. The public never wants to accept this and just wants to blame the creators for everything. It's not possible to talk about whether something feels generic or not when the people attempting to do so have no actual context behind their statements. It always eventually devolves into "this thing you like is bad because I say so, now stop liking it", and it probably was always fated to do so.

For example, you seem very sure about what you think Origami King represents, and you just so happen to be right! Meanwhile, you feel a need to trash some other series for the exact same thing you're defending Origami King over, and it's clear that you just have so little experience and understanding of the Sora no Kiseki games, yet still say what you say anyway. That's the problem. Everybody does that. Their particular upbringing force-feeds them what they claim to like, then they trash the rest and the people who like that rest out of ignorance. It's so fucking boring seeing this play out year after year, making it damn near impossible to actually talk about video games (let's not get into literally every other medium), and I am endlessly amazed society even likes this hobby at the end of the day.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You barge into a conversation specifically to trashtalk me, without providing any sort of perspective on the involved games of your own, and *I'm* part of the reason "it's impossible to talk about video games"? You're a real piece of work, you know that? :)

I'd love to discuss these aspects with you, because I don't have any personal gripe with you, and I know you appreciate great games yourself. But you're much more occupied finding faults in things I didn't even say than you are actually making any relevant point of your own.
I never touched on whether origami king is at any point "generic". As much as that game aims to lampshade clichés, I think it would be expected to fall into a lot of them itself.
And I have never "trashed" Sora no Kiseki either. I have in fact repeatedly praised the first game, and only expressed my frustration with the sequel specifically foregoing the exact elements that I thought set that game apart from everything else. I appreciated Squire's perspective and provided my own. I'm not the person here who has a problem accepting other people's point of view... We can disagree and move on, it's not really a problem.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Christ, what a post. First you accuse me of coming in here to attack you. Then you take the context of everything I've said, tear it to pieces, and wrap that shell around yourself; already I'm seeing a pattern. In the very next sentence, you attempt to soften the blow by downplaying all this furiously, then reaffirming your previous ridiculous claims, in the same sentence. Incredibly, you follow this by attempting to undermine your entire point... in some bizarre attempt to downplay yourself? You then end this box of words with such blatant proof that you simply refuse to read a single word I actually say, that I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to respond.

Every fucking post you type is like this! For God's sake, just stop it! Look, I guess I could be like one of these terminally online types who can't help but block everyone within a 1,000,000 link radius, but that is stupid. I'm not here to win some worthless internet argument. I just want people to actually give a damn, actually be honest about what they say and why they say it, what they claim to like and why they like it. I have known you for a very long time, and you have consistently shown yourself to be extremely bad at approaching anything resembling this. I'm beginning to think that the overwhelming vast majority of people do not, in fact, actually understand why they say or don't say or like or hate or encourage or discourage anything, and thus they cannot possibly be honest about anything, and I completely fucking hate it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Christ man, you're a riot. I'm not gonna waste time on this.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Despatche wrote:Anyway FF16 is apparently extremely good, I'd like to hear more about it from people who actually played it. All the "everything after 12 except maybe 14 is bad" from a few pages back is just funny and sad in 2023. Also 16 is by the 14 devs anyway.
We've been mainlining it since release and it feels like we're in the final stretch. It has a ton of problems, but feels like the first legitimate entry in the series since Final Fantasy XII. The second-to-second combat and major story sequences are shockingly good, but everything else that isn't that is lacking and dragging the overall experience down the longer the game goes on. It would be great if you could focus only on those two core pillars I mentioned, but there is a lot of cruft preventing you from doing so. If you're a fan of Final Fantasy or action RPGs generally I would recommend it, but definitely curb your expectations. I can go into more detail if anyone cares.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Playing through Shining Force II...is it just me, or do the people in this game never shut up? Maybe I've just been playing too many 16-bit rpgs lately, but it feels so excessive, and has me going 30-40 minutes at a time (including battles) between saves which can get to be a drag. You can even sequence break, I must have skipped past a town because I went multiple battles between saves.

On the other hand I'm sure this game is exactly what the system needed when it came out a couple of months ahead of PSIV, there wasn't another cart on it that could claim to be as cinematic or have as much dialogue as a Square title. It's like you can feel SoJ trying to hold back the tide with those two games.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Well, it should be noted that Shining Force wasn't by Sega, it was by Camelot/Climax. Very few (if any?) of the Shining games are actually by Sega; after Camelot left the series, it became more just a brand owned by Sega than anything else.

PS4 I think was just Sega being mad that they were repeatedly making better games, but the series kept getting scorned by the public. So, PS4 is the one game nobody is ever willing to badmouth under any circumstances, no matter what. PS4 is also considerably more cinematic than basically any console RPG of that era that wasn't on CD.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Playing through Shining Force II...is it just me, or do the people in this game never shut up?
The beginning of the game is far more skit heavy than the rest. You can also skip talking to NPC's in towns, but then you'd have missed out on the guy who likes trees.

I never liked the more childish art style, and the battle padding...... you're going to be very very tired of fighting battles on the green fields of the world map by the end of this journey.

Sega gave minimal resources to the Shining teams. The first game needed help from another team to wrap it up in time. The second one would have had more variety in battles if they had more time.

The stats are an example of the kind of rush they were in: Shining Force 2 has twice the number of unit levels than 1 has. So, they just doubled the stats characters will get. Since the damage algorithm is linear, this has... secondary effects. Characters that are above average scale to the moon, while those that are below average hit the dirt. If you thought birdmen were weak and needed to be babied in the first game, hoo boy. Look forward to some birdy 1 HP strikes against golems in your future. Be sure to promote them as soon as you can to keep those numbers as low as possible.

I guess archers have a similar problem. They're competing against wizards with their ~50 damage spells, and they do less than that. Their major advantage is their movement range in trees, which... granted there is a lot of in this game. It sure does like trees, indeed.

... argh, they nerfed bird people's movement range while they were at it. While pegataurs are better than them in every way.

Anyway, Sega was far more interested in its arcade and sports titles. It was a reasonable way to go back then at the time, but gave them almost nothing to compete with when moving into the war against the Playstation. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? And a bunch of arcade style titles?

The Saturn was like a toddler going against Mike Tyson. It's a wonder that Sega ended up managing to buy Atlus. It's a wonder they didn't manage to successfully kill the company, frankly.

--

Lunar never really had much going for it, besides the animated cutscenes...
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Having modded my 3DS, I decided to really explore the library now that money and availability isn't an issue. So there's no risk.

I grabbed Little Battler's eXperience, 7th Dragon, Bravely Second, Etrian Odyssey 5, and Radiant Historia.
So far LBX is my favorite. It's a bit clunky because there's a pause after every single action you take, but having to work around that and exploiting those moments for the enemy is really satisfying. Timing all of those windows while managing the tension gauge is a weird satisfaction I feel like I could only appreciate at my age because I'd likely have gotten annoyed playing this if I were younger. The obvious comparison for this game is Custom Robo and I'm glad someone made a game similar. The aesthetic and tone is exactly the sort of terrible Saturday morning kid's Shonen shit I'd have gobbled up in 4th grade so it's oddly nostalgic. Very colorful, populated, and sharp. Motion is very smooth as well. I think the last thing I remember loving in this style was just Mega Man Battle Network. Those are always good vibes.

The 3DS put me off with the majority of it's core offerings for years because it's overwhelmingly JRPG's with "twists". And at a glance it almost always included tedious life/dating sim shit I just didn't care about. That or the games just flat out didn't seem all that great. But since a serious chunk of the 3DS is RPG's, I figured I might as well try some of the more "straightforward" titles.
I'm actually surprised and kind of sad Sega didn't put an update to Phantasy Star on this thing. Phantasy Star Zero was surprisingly good and RPG's were really successful on this platform. 3D action RPG's were very capable on 3DS as evidenced by LBX, the 34 Monster Hunter games, and especially KH3D. A PSZ2 would have been perfect on this. I'm also surprised I can't find any 2D hack and slash RPG's akin to VW games. There's a lot of genres and sub genres I've always been surprised didn't see a lot of representation on 3DS.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Rune Factory games have slashing, leveling up, loot acquisition/crafting. I'd put those activities a little below Secret of Mana quality-wise, and it isn't very steady when it comes to numbers being "balanced" in lockstep with one another. (Though to be fair this is a fundamental quality of EVERY action game that has RPG numbers. Since you can use your skill to never get hit, they have to resort to dumb things like timers Genshin-Impact style to limit what you can clear when you have low numbers.) The farming and fishing activities aren't mandatory to my knowledge, which is kind of the point: do whatever you feel like doing.

About the worst way to play a Harvest Moon game is to go full paperclip maximizer and try to extract revenue out of every single little tile on the map...

.. Hypocrite that I am, I've still never given Fantasy Life a try. Too many games, too little drive...

Anyway, I've had Lufia on the mind lately. The perverted things they did in that Lufia 2 remake, sigh. So many questions: Who is this for? What were they thinking? It's a franchise that can't get a break. Chaos Seed is far better at recreating Lufia 2's vibes than any other game in the same franchise ever did. That's the Feng Shui dungeon master realtime strategy game, not the HR Giger adventure game where you play a schizophrenic loser who has to win a rigged ring toss game in order to save the world.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BryanM wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:42 amRune Factory games have slashing, leveling up, loot acquisition/crafting. I'd put those activities a little below Secret of Mana quality-wise
That must be some truly awful combat.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The pokemon challenge romhack genre is somewhat amusing. Perma-death, take whatever the game gives you, dungeon gauntlets, etc. Enforcing limited resources makes them much more of a puzzle kind of game. Which I enjoy watching other people play in truncated hi-lights format, from a distance.
Vanguard wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:30 amThat must be some truly awful combat.
It's not the worst thing I've played. Chaos Seed is worse at its combat aspects since you have little T-Rex arms, and have to basically be standing with your balls on something to hit it. And Chaos Seed isn't the worst.

Reach is always a major factor in these games; if your threat circle is bigger than the enemies', then you're never at risk of being hit. Constant pressure from all directions is a necessity. Contra games can be a real snoozefest.

Rune Factory doesn't have the absolutely stupid Secret of Mana "wait between swings" mechanic, at least. Still, they're not quite what I imagined Harvest Moon + Zelda to be. (These two games have the same control interface for your avatar, so merging the two together has always been a very obvious kind of game to make. Not sure if anyone ever made a peerless one, but Rune Factory is definitely just good enough to be the ham sandwich of the genre.)

Of course I think what the point of the combat is, is important as well. If it's supposed to be a mindless chill experience that lets you free your mind and think about other things, or if it's supposed to be a challenge to be overcome.. these are two completely different things. And the mindless jRPG grinding is a lot easier to do, since degrees of challenge are brutally subjective to the skill level of the player.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I downloaded Mario & Luigi Dream Team last night. I uh...I didn't go to bed.
I don't know why everyone says this one is bad. I haven't been that hooked to an RPG since I don't even know when. I can't remember the last one that had me so engrossed.