Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

Re: Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

Post by Kiken »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Someone posted this on another site, no idea if its true
I've been playing the story mode of this and it doesn't create a regular savegame file for progress/unlocks/scores - it just saves everything to the cache, which is weird. So DO NOT wipe your cache if you want to keep your unlocks and scores on Sine Mora!
If it is true then that definitely needs to be fixed in an update (so is that what the day 1 patch for this game did.. add a save file for the cache?).

I just checked my 360's harddrive, and sure enough, under the folder for Sine Mora it just lists the actual game file, no independent game save file. Which means if I were to play 3 or 4 games with updates/patches that aren't already in the cache, then they'll likely overwrite the SM's save.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Someone posted this on another site, no idea if its true
I've been playing the story mode of this and it doesn't create a regular savegame file for progress/unlocks/scores - it just saves everything to the cache, which is weird. So DO NOT wipe your cache if you want to keep your unlocks and scores on Sine Mora!
I found it odd that with the trial it was saving my game settings but i couldn't find a save file at all on my xbox.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
wariomona

Post by wariomona »

Aren't there games that save to your profile? That's why your profile is always increasing in file size. When I moved my XBLA games saves from my HDD to a mermory stick, there were some I couldn't find, yet they still worked when moving to other consoles. Unless someone can confirm it saves to the cache I'd assume it doesn't.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

wariomona wrote:Aren't there games that save to your profile? That's why your profile is always increasing in file size.
The vast majority of the file size increase for a 360 profile is due to keeping track of every game played under that profile as well as every achievement unlocked (no doubt avatar clothing choices as well).
mice

Post by mice »

FMK wrote:Being playing this and making an effort to enjoy it, since it's so beautiful, but won't happen.
Same here. :cry:
bcass

Post by bcass »

Kiken wrote:I just checked my 360's harddrive, and sure enough, under the folder for Sine Mora it just lists the actual game file, no independent game save file. Which means if I were to play 3 or 4 games with updates/patches that aren't already in the cache, then they'll likely overwrite the SM's save.
Let's get some official word on this first before jumping to conclusions. There are a handful of games (such as Space Giraffe) which save the save file in such a way that it is not visible to the user. I think it's saved within the game package, so if you copy the game you copy the save file. Sine Mora may work like this.

I've just completed story mode and moved on to arcade mode. I've completed plenty of difficult shmups in my time but I can say with some level of confidence that the time limit in arcade mode just simply doesn't work. It's way too strict and results in a totally fun-free experience.
postman

Post by postman »

X-Men Origins: Wolverine bypasses a save file somehow, I tried to look into it but couldn't figure out how it happens. Maybe SM does the same thing.

I held off buying this until it goes on sale (most games do it within a few months......), and after reading some of the comments here I'm glad I did....
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

I love it. Really enjoy the time limit and feel only thing that needs altering are random drops and sort out for using a stick. Best shmup for horiz for me since Einhander :)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

bcass wrote:
Kiken wrote:I just checked my 360's harddrive, and sure enough, under the folder for Sine Mora it just lists the actual game file, no independent game save file. Which means if I were to play 3 or 4 games with updates/patches that aren't already in the cache, then they'll likely overwrite the SM's save.
Let's get some official word on this first before jumping to conclusions. There are a handful of games (such as Space Giraffe) which save the save file in such a way that it is not visible to the user. I think it's saved within the game package, so if you copy the game you copy the save file. Sine Mora may work like this.
Oh, I agree. I would like to hear official word on where and how this game is saving as it doesn't use an orthodox save file structure.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Maybe someone who doesn't like the game anyway could clear their cache and report back
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
guigui

Post by guigui »

So, who will host the Hi Score thread ?

Arcade hard and single credit is actually fun, come on.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
yosai

Post by yosai »

CStarFlare wrote:Maybe someone who doesn't like the game anyway could clear their cache and report back
Cleared the cache and the training mode remembered which levels I'd completed.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

All I need to do to get one of the achievements is "continue 100 times". I haven't continued once yet. This is going to be a barrel of fun! :lol:

Definitely enjoying the game more as I spend more time with Arcade Mode. If only playing for score didn't necessitate leaving the sub-weapons and capsules alone completely...

Ed: just as a heads-up, it's not strictly true that "any game mode" counts for meeting the hundred-continues criterion. Best doing it in Arcade to be on the safe side...
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Klatrymadon wrote:If only playing for score didn't necessitate leaving the sub-weapons and capsules alone completely...
That's definitely something I agree with .. giving the player shiny toys and then not letting them use them w/o a score penalty is not very nice.

(Yeah some of XOP's modes punish you for bomb use, but there are other modes where it's encouraged)
guigui

Post by guigui »

Udderdude wrote:
Klatrymadon wrote:If only playing for score didn't necessitate leaving the sub-weapons and capsules alone completely...
That's definitely something I agree with .. giving the player shiny toys and then not letting them use them w/o a score penalty is not very nice.
?

Anyone ever tried to score in a, ..., huuum, ... say, .... Cave game using bombs ?

The same here : find a balance between survival and score. The better you get, the closer you are to superplaying the game w/o using the toys (and access the Ura Loop)
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

guigui wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
?

Anyone ever tried to score in a, ..., huuum, ... say, .... Cave game using bombs ?

The same here : find a balance between survival and score. The better you get, the closer you are to superplaying the game w/o using the toys (and access the Ura Loop)
Pink sweets?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Special World

Post by Special World »

This would be more akin to making Kakusei mode in Espgaluda detrimental to your score.

One thing I find super annoying is how the game asks you at the end of every game if you want to connect to Xbox Live.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
guigui

Post by guigui »

AntiFritz wrote:Pink sweets?
You're right, I was just trying to point out that the "dont use tools if you really want to score" mechanics is already used in some shooters, and not the worst ones.

Special World wrote: One thing I find super annoying is how the game asks you at the end of every game if you want to connect to Xbox Live.
The same. Boys I know when I'm offline, please let me play this way.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Udderdude wrote: It should slam the screen shut like in DDR when you fail a song. Then a smarmy announcer tells you "There's always tomorrow!" >_>
I'll be sure to do this with the Shmup I'm making! (which will obviously be a euroshmup because I'm from Europe)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Marc wrote:At 1200 I'm suddenly wavering, specially when I can order RFA or Galuda 2 for not much more.
littlenemo

Post by littlenemo »

Ghegs wrote:Bought it and played through Story Mode and fiddled around in Arcade and Boss training modes.
STOP PLAYING THIS GAME IN STORY MODE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE
- No rank system
- god mode
- Slow paced and boring and mainstream oriented
Of course you're going to feel like the game is too much slow paced since every mechanic implemented (time control, rank, capsules) is quasi irrelevant in story mode .
PLAY IT IN ARCADE

Code: Select all

If only playing for score didn't necessitate leaving the sub-weapons and capsules alone completely...
And again like the random attacks and random drops in Yagawa's games, here is a mechanic no one have with bombs in a cave game and that turns magically into an issue in Sine Mora...
And rank control is not necessarily playing against the score, which these 2 mechanics provide btw

We have the expression "mauvaise foi" in french, is that "bad faith" in english .... ?
Deca

Post by Deca »

To be fair the only cave games that encourage bomb use are Yagawa's. That man want you to bomb all the damn time (which I approve of). The only Ikeda game I can think of that doesn't outright punish bomb use is maybe DonPachi.

Either way I definitely enjoy it when you're encouraged to use all weapons at your disposal for scoring means.

@littlenemo
No important item drops in Raizing games (other than maybe Dimahoo, but it's pretty well accepted that playing that game for score is an excercise in masochism) are random. There's an item drop counter that is easily understood and predicted. Regarding Cave's general disapproval of bomb use, people complain about that all the time. I'm not a huge fan of the concept myself.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

Anybody find a good Arcade run yet? I normally die out around stage 4.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Muchi Muchi Pork has random medal drops at times. Not only does this suck cause it can cause a minor score difference at random, it's possible to lose your chain on a medal you never even saw.

And I've complained about the random attacks thing before. Like how the lightning attack's randomness could screw your scoring. or how midbosses/bosses could at random give you great scoring patterns or shit scoring patterns. And really, if it weren't for that, I would like Pink Sweets. I do like Gradius games, and it does have that style partly when it comes to stages and memo heaviness, but the RNG on attack patterns can easily boost score or screw your score.
exquisite_torture

Post by exquisite_torture »

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Sumez wrote:
Marc wrote:At 1200 I'm suddenly wavering, specially when I can order RFA or Galuda 2 for not much more.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee10 ... y_baby.jpg
hahaha, signed

for all the things people are bagging on this game for, the price? chrissakes, baby is right - somebody else is gonna sling some toys in a second
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

littlenemo wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Bought it and played through Story Mode and fiddled around in Arcade and Boss training modes.
STOP PLAYING THIS GAME IN STORY MODE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE
- No rank system
- god mode
- Slow paced and boring and mainstream oriented
Of course you're going to feel like the game is too much slow paced since every mechanic implemented (time control, rank, capsules) is quasi irrelevant in story mode .
PLAY IT IN ARCADE
Did you even read the rest of my post? Despite the list of improvements I suggested, I liked the game and never did I say or feel the game was slow-paced or boring. My issues with it were with completely different things, with the Arcade Mode's stricter time mechanic potentially leading to unwinnable situations being one of them.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Dazzyman wrote:Best shmup for horiz for me since Einhander :)
So better than Akai Katana then? Wow, that's quite a recommendation.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

littlenemo wrote:[And again like the random attacks and random drops in Yagawa's games, here is a mechanic no one have with bombs in a cave game and that turns magically into an issue in Sine Mora...
I think people complain less about stuff like Progear or Ketsui where there's requirements for getting into the second or Ura loop because they're extremely solid games that don't have issues like analog controls on top of the scoring oddities. It's much more reasonable to be able to dodge tight waves in Cave's games than it is in Sine Mora, where it's akin to trying to navigate tight bullet patterns in Gradius V at max speed. That's always what it felt like while playing it; way too easy to move the stick a bit farther than intended and suddenly fly off into a bullet.

A few days ago I showed it to some friends and they seemed to like it, were going to buy it from the sounds of it (one of 'em was getting into shmups via Dodonpachi Maximum). It's a good mainstream/casual game as far as story mode is concerned (mostly because it's extremely forgiving and looks pretty), but the game mechanics just don't feel like those of a really polished shmup.
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

In most cases bombing will hurt your score...whereas having a powered up weapon faster is a huge advantage in Sine Mora.