Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ebarrett

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by ebarrett »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:I just wish the second loop bosses other than the first were feasible to do without Hyper spam. Don't even the superplayers get hit by those patterns?
The bosses were designed with hypers in mind, for the love of god stop spamming every goddamn thread with your All Shmups Should Be The Same As Decided By Me talk.

And no, the superplayers don't get hit. They use hypers.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Giga Wing is unfair because boss patterns are built around using the reflect shield.

by that logic
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Dragon Blaze is the cheapest, you always die if you don't use that dragon shot thinghie.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Garegga is the cheapest. You always die unless you ... die.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Not to mention that you have to spam bombs all over the place! All shooters should only have the shot button.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

ebarrett wrote:
Chaos Phoenixma wrote:I just wish the second loop bosses other than the first were feasible to do without Hyper spam. Don't even the superplayers get hit by those patterns?
The bosses were designed with hypers in mind, for the love of god stop spamming every goddamn thread with your All Shmups Should Be The Same As Decided By Me talk.

And no, the superplayers don't get hit. They use hypers.

Quit spamming my posts with BS claiming to know what I'm thinking. As a game, DFK is completely fair, and it's fine. As long as the game's completely fair, I don't have a problem with it. I may not like other games for other reasons, and an unfair shmup wouldn't be something I'd like,but even if other games are fair I still have my own reasons for disliking them. I'm not trying to say all of them should be like my preferences cause that'd get boring. I'm glad there's different styles of them out there. DFK is completely fine.

It does look less impressive to have to use Hypers on the patterns though.

And of course the superplayers don't usually get hit, but I'm sure even they have runs where they get hit by stuff since no one's perfect.

I wasn't even really complaining about having to use Hypers on the bosses. I was just saying that TrouserPlank shouldn't complain about forced Hypers when the parts he claims they're forced on aren't.

I do think Dai-Ou-Jou is the best of the Pachis, but I still like DFK a lot and don't have any problems with the game design decisions either.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

The last few cave games haven't been as brutal as the earlier ones but often do have harder modes or are much tougher when playing for score. I've never really considered espgaluda 1 easy either, the stages arent as tough as other cave games but I find the bosses just evil sometimes. Ive played it probably 2x as much as futari original and haven't gotton as far. I agree that cave should make a few hard as fuck games with no bs though. They dont seem to be attracting a rush of new fans at the arcades with easier/more accessible games (although their iphone games seem to be doing well with lower difficulty options etc).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

I really like the look of SDOJ so far. I played DOJ a week or so ago and didn't really like it; I prefer the "bubblegum" look of DFK, and the DFKBL music. Theme (scenario) is very important to me in shmups, even slightly more so than having a dfficulty level that feels challenging while not ridiculous. If it looks gritty and realistic then it usually struggles to hold my interest, so a game that would take several weeks to claim a 1CC in while having a bright fantasy frontend is a very exciting prospect for me. I've read that SDOJ has crappy music right now, but you know a Black Label version will come eventually, so there's still hope for it yet.

Hey, maybe that D ship they announced recently could have bullet-cancelling hypers for beginners and less skilled players? As long as each ship gets its own scoreboard a la DeathSmiles, that could work, right?
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

rtw wrote:
Shou wrote:Try announced their pricing for the kit, Y178,000. Y50,000 deposit required for preorders.
Their front page says: 186,900

http://www.try-inc.co.jp/
Yah, they raised their price in between my post but said that they wouldn't charge extra for credit card payments which is normally +5%.
become history
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Well, I could potentially give up a year and a half of other luxury purchases to get the PCB.

Not going to do it, though...

I can't believe we still don't know what hardware it's running on. Probably PGM2; seeing SH3 on MAME must have scared Cave away from that hardware for good.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Estebang wrote:Well, I could potentially give up a year and a half of other luxury purchases to get the PCB.

Not going to do it, though...

I can't believe we still don't know what hardware it's running on. Probably PGM2; seeing SH3 on MAME must have scared Cave away from that hardware for good.
http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php ... 8#msg28318
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Thanks. Didn't see it get mentioned in this thread.

(...that means it's SH3, right?)

Looks like Annex is distributing again.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Yes the 3rd gen / SH3 based hardware.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

That's something of a relief, because we'll at least be able to see it emulated in 10+ years if it never gets a proper port.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Estebang wrote:That's something of a relief, because we'll at least be able to see it emulated in 10+ years if it never gets a proper port.
Ha ha, funny cos true. And maybe even earlier than that.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Muchi Muchi Spork

It's a DDP game, I'm sure they will port it.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

It's a DDP game, I'm sure they will port it.
To iOS.

Prospects of a proper port are looking miiiiighty slim, what with Asada's remark about Mushi HD, Cave's last financial report, and the Japanese 360 market in a death spiral. As I've explained numerous times here, the PS3 cannot feasibly be a home for Cave's verts.

I have to say that I'd be content with a Vita port, though.
Muchi Muchi Spork

The doomsday stuff is tired. Between that and the "must be getting rid of back stock" rumor, uhg. If it doesn't go to the 360 then it'll go to the next home console. Just like every other arcade game they have released in the past decade aside from special/limited games.

The Playstation thumb pad is terrible for shmups or anything needing heavy diagonals. I curse it every time I play Progear on my PSP. A Vita port, bleh. I think I'd rather play it on an iPad with one of those silly looking joysticks installed or hooked into the little mini arcade setup, iCade, if that's possible.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

The PSP-3000 and Vita both have excellent D-Pads, far better than a Dualshock in my opinion.

We've already ruled out the PS3. As for the next generation of consoles, I don't see the Wii U being accommodating at all to Cave's games, or any games, really. The Xbox Next is far off, and will probably never see a release in Japan. The PS4 is nowhere in sight, and even if it shows up, Sony's shooting for a 10-year life cycle with the Triple. Also, Sony's 16:9 requirement would inevitably be maintained. Vita seems like the best bet.

There is a real precedent for these doomsday scenarios.

I'd forgotten about the iCade, but Cave hasn't even so much as acknowledged it yet. I must admit it would be a worthy last resort.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Estebang wrote:The PSP-3000 and Vita both have excellent D-Pads, far better than a Dualshock in my opinion.

We've already ruled out the PS3. As for the next generation of consoles, I don't see the Wii U being accommodating at all to Cave's games, or any games, really. The Xbox Next is far off, and will probably never see a release in Japan. The PS4 is nowhere in sight, and even if it shows up, Sony's shooting for a 10-year life cycle with the Triple. Also, Sony's 16:9 requirement would inevitably be maintained. Vita seems like the best bet.

There is a real precedent for these doomsday scenarios.

I'd forgotten about the iCade, but Cave hasn't even so much as acknowledged it yet. I must admit it would be a worthy last resort.
I don't think a vertical shmup is going to work well on the vita...unless you have to turn the screen sideways and then the controls are going to be real awkward.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Neo Geo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting worked not-terribly as a vert letterboxed on the PSP, and the Vita has a much better screen.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Estebang wrote:I don't see the Wii U being accommodating at all to Cave's games, or any games, really.
The WiiU is compatible with the excellent Classsic Controller and the tablet controller has a dpad on it. I'd place the WiiU as the best bet for future Cave releases, assuming the next Xbox is still a good year or two away from release. In the end, it doesn't really matter what home console they support next, they're not going to see game sales any more substantial than they did on the 360.
Estebang wrote:The Xbox Next is far off, and will probably never see a release in Japan.
Total nonsense.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Microsoft Japan bombed once with the original Xbox and bombed again with the 360, what makes you think they'll bother trying again?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Because it's software that makes money, not consoles. Just because the console didn't sell very well doesn't mean it wasn't a profitable venture. I'd imagine that Japanese devs would be less likely to support a console that didn't have some sort of domestic presence as well.

That said, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a Saidaioujou port on the 360. If it's one thing we've learnt over the last few years it's that Cave are full of hot air, so I wouldn't take anything as gospel.
MagicT

Post by MagicT »

Estebang wrote:Microsoft Japan bombed once with the original Xbox and bombed again with the 360, what makes you think they'll bother trying again?
Prestige...

----

I really hope they port this game finally X360.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Between that and the "must be getting rid of back stock" rumor, uhg.
I'll take responsibility for that. It was never a rumour, just an honest notion I put out there that the LE PCB's could have been an attempt to clear stock. Obviously it wasn't, but it was a fair guess under the circumstances and ruminated by several others on the board.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

rtw

Post by rtw »

Can we please get back to the purpose of this thread which is the upcoming game: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou which will be released on the CV1000 platform on 2012-04-14.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Sure, why don't you start us off? :lol:

I personally think the ongoing discussion is rather interesting!
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

rtw wrote:Can we please get back to the purpose of this thread which is the upcoming game: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou which will be released on the CV1000 platform on 2012-04-14.
Theirs nothing really too talk about until the next location test.
1up

Post by 1up »

Does it have those annoying laser towers from DFK?