Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ghegs

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Ghegs »

Layzner starts out really strong, but I felt the last ~third of the series was kind of bad. Maybe give Votoms a try?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Ghegs wrote:Layzner starts out really strong, but I felt the last ~third of the series was kind of bad. Maybe give Votoms a try?
Votoms I know it's great, but like Gundam, there's too much stuff to watch. But thanks anyway, Ghegs!
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Speaking of Gundam, I would recommend watching the Gundam Thunderbolt : December Sky movie if you haven't already. Aside from knowing the two opposing factions (Earth Federation vs Zeon), not much background is necessary to enjoy it, and it is relatively short (~1h30).
That is the first Gundam show I watched and I really loved it. It has a lot of intense moments and the usual "War is Hell" Gundam theme truly shines there.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

Thanks for the tips FinalBaton, BIL, Obiwanshinobi and Ji-L87! Sorry for the late reply here, I've been busy so haven't been able to really check out your suggestions yet... got the Patlabor OVA series Blu-Ray in the mail yesterday though so I'll start on that shortly, it looks right up my alley. Gotta get a region free player if I want to get into the TV Series though, it's not released here in the UK.

The collector in me would like to get Bubblegum Crisis on Blu-Ray but I really can't do these $80+ sets for anime at the moment. My horror and cult movie Blu-Ray obsession has way higher priority and there's so much cool stuff getting amazing releases in horror these days. Perfect Blue is getting a steelbook from Zavvi soon which looks cool though, and it's both anime and horror so booyah. Any favourite cheap-ish sets people have?

Space Dandy continued to be pretty great fun, I hear Season 2 is even better but ugh it's £44. I'll probably get it soon though.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Having tired of hitting the refresh button on Galaxyheavyblow six thousand times over six months for nothing, I've descended down to the base of the content creation pyramid: the web novel. This is the font from which all content originates: Your Sword Art Onlines, your Shield Heroes, Family Matters, the inevitable forthcoming Mushoku Tensei animoo, etc.

I liked the utter contempt How to Kill Reincarnators has for the chuunibyou protagonist that sucks all the life and souls out of the other characters. The whole point of stories is that people want to acquire things. Whether that's money, fame, safety, fun, boobies, whatever. If the protagonist has everything they could want at the start, it's like a rich person showing off the big numbers in their bank account. If the supporting characters in the world only care about the protagonist and what he wants, then they're not characters, they're accessories. Such a protagonist isn't really a protagonist - their design is that of an antagonist.

A pro Star Craft player being #1 and signing a $200,000,000 contract in the first chapter; Saitama getting applause from his fans as he has a fulfilled life punching out monsters, disgusting, disgusting.

It would be nice if one of the fads in the upcoming decade were dungeon master stories, but unfortunately I don't think the Japanese market has many of those besides what, Lazy Dungeon Master? Dungeon Defense is Korean - how often do Japanese companies adopt foreign material, basically never right?
chunni protags
Argh, there's this one series about a guy who can teleport anywhere, including between a fantasy world and Earth. It gets to the point where he'd have no money problems whatsoever in either world. But he continues to care deeply about petty bullshit: selling boner potions to his rich superiors at work, still keeps his job for some reason (when becoming a full time chunni would both pay better and be more important since it's a unique carer that only he has), gives a shit about the paternity of his sister's magic kung fu karate friend, etc etc etc.

If he actually gave a shit about other people's problems, he could very easily become a messiah type character that wipes out disease and hunger in both worlds. But. He's concerned with the $10,000 a week he can make with boner potions instead. Yeah.

This is important stuff.
the web novel
I knew this would probably be a seedy world full of things where everyone is a slave/rapist/pedo/sociopath. Just the type of thing they'd gloss over and take out as it climbs up the content medium pyramid for that mass market appeal. That ridiculous sex scene in Sword Art Online definitely comes to mind.

Wax on, wax off.

(Actually I'm a little shocked by the number of things that DON'T include stuff like that. The majority (~75%) actually don't. Good work, humanity.)
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

BryanM wrote: (Actually I'm a little shocked by the number of things that DON'T include stuff like that. The majority (~75%) actually don't. Good work, humanity.)
Web novels aren't made just by horny, moronic shut-ins. There are lots of authors which use such channel in order to express itself or writing with absolute freedo,, out from the publishers and marketing's claws.
But those are only known by the few and hardly get some comic or video adaptation, especially an animated one.

Speaking of animation, I finished to watch Peepo the Performer: a shows made for kids about a clown and its wolf/assistant in a colorful, yet violent and insane, cartoon world.
It was very funny, it reminded me those Looney Toons shorts with all the slapstick made with props and explosions, with every character getting destroyed at the end in different ways, one way or another (I could only wish something like that in a generic rom-com or 4koma).
Although, I felt off at the last episode for the show's ending:
Spoiler
Everything was just the imagination of a wolf with mommy issues?
Not that is important anyway, is jsut a bunch of funny skits put together without any storyline or plot.

Regarding mangas, I finished to read Naruto instead of waiting those sloppy asses at Pierrot.
I have to say the ending reminded me how "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" ended, with all the characters having kid and stuff (don't care about spoilers here), but that doesn't hide the fact the Great Ninja War saga was a total mess made of powe-ups; plot twistes and deus-ex machinas.
Boruto/Bolt or whatever don't interest me, so I'll not bother with it. But the new Kishimoto's series could be something good if he knows how to deal with sci-fi.

Also, I read the singe volume of Shiri Fechi Nanka ni Sukarete Tamaru ka: yaoi story about a guy obsessed with another guy's plumpy ass.
It was very stupid, but I guess the noun "intelligent" on a genre such as yaoi is not very common. I managed to read the whole thing (even the sex scenes) thanks to the lung-buster hilarious comments on MangaHere (called tsukkomis): the kind of comany you need when reading avarage mangas.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Ah, now that Bleach has been bleached away, and hopefully something better will be put to the blank paper now freed up....

People have been compiling lists of all the dropped or undelivered plot points and character specs.

The heaviest lol is that it's never explained why Aizen hates the soul king so goddamn much. What his motivation is, exactly. I'ma explain who Aizen is for nonreaders: He's a raid boss in Bleach. The cast of Bleach spent six years irl time fighting his subordinates.

The previous paragraph is a good primer on the entirety of Bleach. In the long list of hack frauds who don't deserve their success, this man stands near the top.

Lots of people like to rag on the nonsensical ravings of the Metal Gear Solid storylines. I scoff at such notions. They don't remotely compare to the abyss True Shit can reach. Read the entirety of Bleach, and I will show you what True Horror is.

(Actually don't read Bleach at all. Read Terror Infinity instead. Basically Gantz, but with horror movies instead of aliens. Well, there are aliens in the Alien chapters... you know what I mean. It's not remotely great, and it gets real bad real fast (the Dead Former Girlfriend and almost always killing the monster disgust my soul), but it will stimulate your brain more than chuni word game fights.)
S_Fang wrote:Web novels aren't made just by horny, moronic shut-ins.
Perhaps, but it certainly helps!
Last edited by BryanM on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Nah the absolute nothingness is One Piece. It'll probably end up running longer than General Hospital with the entire plot fitting on half a page.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Ghegs wrote:Layzner starts out really strong, but I felt the last ~third of the series was kind of bad. Maybe give Votoms a try?
IIRC it got cancelled early because the sponsor got into some issues so it was rushed/cancelled
the OVA apparently gives a better ending but there was still a ton of scrapped stuff, like the Layzner Mk2
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Bananamatic wrote:
IIRC it got cancelled early because the sponsor got into some issues so it was rushed/cancelled
the OVA apparently gives a better ending but there was still a ton of scrapped stuff, like the Layzner Mk2
I have a vague memory of unlocking that unit in one of the Super Robot Wars games.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Xyga wrote:Nah the absolute nothingness is One Piece. It'll probably end up running longer than General Hospital with the entire plot fitting on half a page.
I sorta like One Piece, but I've been waiting to mini-rant about it for awhile.

Why do almost all of the villains have the same brand of annoying personality? CP9 was a cool departure, even though the guy calling the shots was yet another annoying idiot. I've only seen up to the zombie ship arc (totally blanking on what it's actually called) since I'm watching it on Toonami. Also three of the four main villains said arc have the "annoying made up laugh" trait that is just as common. Is there any particular reason for someone to say "BOSS BOSS BOSS BOSS BOSS" instead of actually laughing maniacally?

Though as far as absurdly drawn out anime go, at least it's more interesting than Detective Conan. I only got through the first five episodes before going "Holy shit this series is too long, I'm nowhere near invested enough to keep going." and quitting. I might've kept going if he didn't try to solve the case stealthily for some stupid reason. The premise is also stupid as well. I know I only saw five episodes, but I'm willing to bet that he never catches the group that attempted to kill him, and it was just a strange premise for a child detective series. Just go straight for the genius child detective vibe if you were planning to drag it out this long.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

For Berserk fans: the new PS4/PS3/Vita game has Wyald as a playable character.

Got real excited when I read that, then looked down and realized I was wearing my Wyald t-shirt and felt the shame of being a giant nerd.

Still excited, though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wyald is cool, and by cool I mean a despicable yet charismatic cunt who deserved to die screaming more than perhaps any Berserk character before or since. Good to see him get some screentime!

smh @ the guy in those comments complaining about this for some reason, graspingly. Yeah bro, I dun read manga neither I dunno who this is. Musbe a cash grab 4 game rofl. Ya, I like my medieval horror fantasy bowdlerised and atrocity-free, too. It's not like the king loosing his private war crime gang on his own subjects indelibly blackens the Golden Age, or adds anything besides "zomg edgy." Sounds like the numbnuts who cry about Game of Thrones getting medieval.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

soprano1 wrote: I have a vague memory of unlocking that unit in one of the Super Robot Wars games.
yeah, the concept was made but it never appeared in the anime due to it getting cut short
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I was trying to watch Fairy Tail (because I don't own any better anime :/) to help myself learn Japanese, but I couldn't stop cringing at how saccharine it was. I turned it off and I feel like physically destroying the whole box set.

Is One Piece as cringe as Fairy Tail? I need to know even though I've already seen the first >150 episodes of it because I've since acquired better taste.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but finding anime online is easy as fuck.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Can someone suggest something that's light and funny, like South Park or GTA V, and still good? Has to be on Crunchyroll or something.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

atheistgod1999 wrote:light and funny
atheistgod1999 wrote:South Park or GTA V
...?!

Anyway, try this:
逮捕しちゃうぞ
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
atheistgod1999 wrote:light and funny
atheistgod1999 wrote:South Park or GTA V
...?!
I meant GTA V's plot.

Another example of "light and funny" would be Beavis and Butthead.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nichijou
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Another example of "light and funny" would be Beavis and Butthead.
Well, that explains your constant swearing.

All that faux edgy stuff gets old real fast.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
atheistgod1999 wrote:Another example of "light and funny" would be Beavis and Butthead.
Well, that explains your constant swearing.
You know, I actually can't recall a single instance of swearing in that show.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I remember Mike Judge commenting that he thought it funnier to have them say stuff like "buttmunch," etc. Never really watched the show but I did like it torpedoing Kip Winger!

Anyway I find this pretty funny, it's basically Gamergate The Anime as directed by Brianna Wu.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Hentai dialogue is one of my greatest joys in life.

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Hentai dialogue is one of my greatest joys in life.

Mine too, always makes me smile when i'm sad. :mrgreen:
"My grandma's cock is touching my scrotum's insides!"
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Image
Hell, have a whole gallery:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hentai-quotes/photos
Might have NSFW. :lol:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

If this is where we are today... >_>

BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm a bit of a casual tbh - never gone much beyond good ol Bible Black. :oops:

My butt... :O It is full of your dick ¦3
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BIL wrote:I'm a bit of a casual tbh - never gone much beyond good ol Bible Black. :oops:

My butt... :O It is full of your dick ¦3
I love the Bible Black dub with Dan Green of Yu-Gi-Oh! fame. :D
There are a few audio clips on youtube, NSFW!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtgHf3OaG4