Mushihimesama on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MJR

Re: Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by MJR »

1up wrote:
MJR wrote:Sorry for not wanting to plow through 21 pages of discussion, but is there any way to make this recognize X-arcade tankstick as the keyboard controller? Right now this does not recognize the joystick movement of X-arcade stick at all, which makes it pretty much useless port. There is no way in hell that I want to play this with pad or keyboard.

I also had the black screen when turning to full screen at first, and some tearing as well, which gives this really amateurish appearance. Oh well, at least I can now play this in mame with good conscience since I've now paid for the official PC shitport.
google joy2key. It's a small,free,program that lets you set your sticks and buttons to keyboard inputs
oh.. I remember this one. I might still have it in my hard disk. But I couldn't have believed that I still have to use it for steam games X_X

thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Also X-Arcades are self-programmable to push different keyboard keys, check the manual for how to set it up. Back when I configured one of those up for a local convention, I used notepad to test the button presses and verify the joystick and buttons were doing what they should. And make sure you are not still in program mode when you try playing, as that will prevent inputs from registering.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Jeneki wrote:Also X-Arcades are self-programmable to push different keyboard keys, check the manual for how to set it up. Back when I configured one of those up for a local convention, I used notepad to test the button presses and verify the joystick and buttons were doing what they should. And make sure you are not still in program mode when you try playing, as that will prevent inputs from registering.
No thanks, reprogramming X-arcade to use arrow keys instead of numpad takes too much time and bother, and I would have to remap all the mame games afterwards. Not worth it.

I tried joy2pad, but mushihimesama succesfully ignores it, even though I appointed to profile straight to the application. Fascinating.

It shouldn't be me who should be spending time on configuring this piece of crap. When I buy software I expect it to work, on any joystick controller that is available for PC that I wish to use.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MJR wrote:When I buy software I expect it to work, on any joystick controller that is available for PC that I wish to use.
Welcome to Steam. :wink:

I wouldn't usually joke, but your posts here don't inspire sympathy. Game runs fine for me. (madcatz ps3 fightstick pro)
Actually I wouldn't recommend joy2key anyway; adds input lag.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
MJR

Post by MJR »

Blinge wrote:
MJR wrote:When I buy software I expect it to work, on any joystick controller that is available for PC that I wish to use.
Welcome to Steam. :wink:

I wouldn't usually joke, but your posts here don't inspire sympathy. Game runs fine for me. (madcatz ps3 fightstick pro)
Actually I wouldn't recommend joy2key anyway; adds input lag.
Yeah, I can understand that they don't, but I wasn't asking for sympathy. What I want the developers to do is to patch the controlling issues so that alternative setups or numpad for keyboard controls can be used. My view is that if you are offering a commercial product you are expected to do such service, if the request is reasonable - even when the tone of the feedback is obnoxious. It's actually quite basic stuff really - to allow users to remap all the controlling keys where they want to, not just the few fire buttons.

For further information, I tried also virtual joystick (VJoy), which was suggested at X-arcade's own support homepage. But didn't work - it works on windows controller test and also in steam's own TV mode, for the record.. Mushihimesama is succesfully overriding it, somehow.

The whole issue is basically this. Mushihimesama expects the keys to be arrow keys - or then it has to be joystick. X-arcade uses numpad for the default, unless you program it. Most of the games allow you to define the keys for movement just for this reason. But not in this one - numpad is out of the question, and virtual joysticks or joy2keys are ignored/blocked. I did try to run both programs on administrator mode. Didn't help at all. So there's clearly something to do for the next patch here.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The owners of X-Arcade are still running free and selling products ? :shock:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
MJR

Post by MJR »

Xyga wrote:The owners of X-Arcade are still running free and selling products ? :shock:
You mean they should be in jail? :D
EDIT: I bought the tank stick 7 years ago. I havent seen any reason to buy any other stick, it's worked well with consoles.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

defected78 wrote:Wasnt the native of 360 port 1080 so why 720 on pc.
No, the 360 port was 720p native; the 360 scaled to any other resolution.

Mushihimesama Futari, on the other hand, had multiple native resolutions. But Futari is an outlier owing to its outsourced development.
qmish

Post by qmish »

throw a stone at me, i still cant force myself buy it.

I dislike redrawn sprites of monsters. They look too "clean" "shiny" and completely out of picture with backgrounds which are old.

they dont include original gfx here, do they?

p.s.
another reason is that i went and bought Strania, Judgement Silversword, XIIZEAL and some others instead. Sorry, Cave, but i'll return to you later.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

MJR wrote:
Xyga wrote:The owners of X-Arcade are still running free and selling products ? :shock:
You mean they should be in jail? :D
Yes! For offending my taste in style and controls type. :twisted:
(also years ago their base sticks prices were kind of too much, but relatively okay now putting aside their oversized 'mame-gun')
qmish wrote:I dislike redrawn sprites of monsters. They look too "clean" "shiny" and completely out of picture with backgrounds which are old.
I usually don't like it too, but with this port they really did a good job.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
defected78

Post by defected78 »

StarCreator wrote:
defected78 wrote:Wasnt the native of 360 port 1080 so why 720 on pc.
No, the 360 port was 720p native; the 360 scaled to any other resolution.

Mushihimesama Futari, on the other hand, had multiple native resolutions. But Futari is an outlier owing to its outsourced development.
Thanks for clearing that up. Good to see that no downgrade happened with the port in the end.

Heres to more cave on steam.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

qmish wrote:throw a stone at me, i still cant force myself buy it.

I dislike redrawn sprites of monsters. They look too "clean" "shiny" and completely out of picture with backgrounds which are old.

p.s.
another reason is that i went and bought Strania, Judgement Silversword, XIIZEAL and some others instead. Sorry, Cave, but i'll return to you later.
They're not "redrawn" considering they were never drawn in the first place. They've always been rasterized 3D models. The port simply uses a higher resolution raster.

You could force the game to render at miniscule resolution with GeDoSaTo if you want something resembling the original graphics.
vector7

Post by vector7 »

MJR wrote:The whole issue is basically this. Mushihimesama expects the keys to be arrow keys - or then it has to be joystick. X-arcade uses numpad for the default, unless you program it.
As far as i know numpad 2,4,6,8 are the standard movement keys for a second player, maybe that's the reason joy2key and vjoy didn't worked.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

MJR wrote:No thanks, reprogramming X-arcade to use arrow keys instead of numpad takes too much time and bother, and I would have to remap all the mame games afterwards. Not worth it
Supposedly you can save more than one profile via the switch on the back (as per the manual), then switch profiles by flipping that switch for Mame/Mushi/Whatever. However I never tried that during the time I had one to work with, so I don't know how well it works.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
qmish

Post by qmish »

StarCreator wrote: They're not "redrawn" considering they were never drawn in the first place. They've always been rasterized 3D models. The port simply uses a higher resolution raster.
Yeah, i mean they look out of place with old backgrounds.

I'm not one of those "anti pre rendered" guys like in some recent thread over there, especially considering that it also depends on each case. Ketsui and Deathsmiles are so different.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Jeneki wrote:
MJR wrote:No thanks, reprogramming X-arcade to use arrow keys instead of numpad takes too much time and bother, and I would have to remap all the mame games afterwards. Not worth it
Supposedly you can save more than one profile via the switch on the back (as per the manual), then switch profiles by flipping that switch for Mame/Mushi/Whatever. However I never tried that during the time I had one to work with, so I don't know how well it works.
Thank you for the tip! I will try it out when I have time.
(problem is, the time it takes to fight with this is usually the time I can spend on games per day, this is why I am so annoyed)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Jeneki wrote:
Yeah, that did the trick! X-arcade actually has 4 different profiles, and main profile that is dedicated to Mame (and can't be overwritten). Thanks for helping me out despite my angry whining, much appreciated!

I can now take back the "shitport"-stamp, this is not a bad port. But it has it's share of problems like any other PC game/conversion. That's why I don't use PC for arcade games. (If I had I would have known what to do with the tankstick) I wouldn't even touch this if it was available for consoles. But, as it is it works now fine and it's nice to see that they have slapped the 1.5 along as well.

As for those who complain about the hires-enemies - sprites have higher priority than background, so I was actually thankful that they were upgraded. It made the game easier to play. The original version is still easily available on Mame, so you can play that if you want 100% faithful reproduction.
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

viniciusvbf wrote:According to SteamSpy, the game sold 7,535 ± 2,195 copies until now. I don't know if these stats are reliable, but the number seems pretty low.
That's better than I expected honestly, but like mentioned above the real issue where that aligns with Cave expectations.
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

I bought the game during the Steam sale and am enjoying the hell out of it. I always said I'd throw money and any decent Cave port on the PC and finally after all these years someone did it. Now lets hope they sell enough to release more!
cul

Post by cul »

hanasu wrote:
viniciusvbf wrote:According to SteamSpy, the game sold 7,535 ± 2,195 copies until now. I don't know if these stats are reliable, but the number seems pretty low.
That's better than I expected honestly, but like mentioned above the real issue where that aligns with Cave expectations.

Heeeeeh? Maybe your numbers aren't up to date cause if i go there i got:

Owners: 12,104 ± 2,749
Players in the last 2 weeks: 3,762 ± 1,532 (31.08%)
Players total: 10,469 ± 2,556 (86.49%)

Anyway the game just got released a few weeks ago and is gonna keep selling in the long term because Steam. According to steamspy Crimzon Clover has around 97 000 owners, and CC was released something like a year and a half ago. I'm quiet sure they didn't sell most of those copies during the first weeks.

That would be really interesting to hear from Degica in six months the exact sales figures AND knowing if the game broke even or made a profit, but I'm quiet sure it's never gonna happen, it's really uncommon in this industry for devs and publishers to publish sales figures.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

cul wrote: That would be really interesting to hear from Degica in six months the exact sales figures AND knowing if the game broke even or made a profit, but I'm quiet sure it's never gonna happen, it's really uncommon in this industry for devs and publishers to publish sales figures.
That's because with Steam there's a NDA on publishing exact sales figures using their system, and I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to other publishers as well. You break the NDA, you risk legal action among other things. The best they can do is ask the real question of whether Cave have been happy with the amount of sales.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

CAVE's pretty happy with it, and if you need evidence, then consider that CAVE is already planning their next port. Keep in mind we also haven't slashed prices too heavily yet, or run a bundle sale for Mushi (or our other shmups, for that matter). I think it's a good initial result, rocky launch aside.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Wonderful to hear.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

CStarFlare wrote:Wonderful to hear.
+1
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
MathU

Post by MathU »

MJR wrote:The whole issue is basically this. Mushihimesama expects the keys to be arrow keys - or then it has to be joystick. X-arcade uses numpad for the default, unless you program it. Most of the games allow you to define the keys for movement just for this reason. But not in this one - numpad is out of the question, and virtual joysticks or joy2keys are ignored/blocked. I did try to run both programs on administrator mode. Didn't help at all. So there's clearly something to do for the next patch here.
Whoa whoa, so wait does this port not even allow you to remap your keyboard inputs? Am I reading this correctly?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

It does allow it, just not for movement. (Which is arrow keys)
MathU

Post by MathU »

Oh wow. I expect this level of incompetence from your typical doujin developer but this is really concerning coming from a bigshot like CAVE. Get it together CAVE, Jesus. This is totally unacceptable.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

Yeah, this is why my custom arcade stick doesn't even work. It detects the directions as confirm/cancel/whatever buttons instead. So I pretty much have to start Xpadder, then start the game and plug the arcade stick afterwards or the game will detect it with weird inputs.
MathU

Post by MathU »

I would just prefer to play on keyboard myself. Arrows keys + some other nonsense on the left are garbage for playing games, I'd like to remap them to WASD or something else for my left hand while freeing my dominant hand up for button mashing. I normally let doujin developers slide on this but I really expect better from a supposedly professional Steam release from a big developer like CAVE.

And yes, I'm well aware of the bandaid hack fix AutoHotkey. It tends to not work very well with my keyboard and these Japanese games for whatever reason.

Proper input setup needs to added in with a patch here.
CWM

Post by CWM »

Why wouldn't you want to use your dominant hand for movement, where precision is much more important than with holding autofire and occasionally pressing bomb? Keys should obviously be fully configurable, but I still use arrow keys when playing games in MAME. Hell, I'd buy an arcade stick with face button and stick locations switched as well. It makes little sense to use your left hand for movement, in shmups at least.