DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
defected78

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

Post by defected78 »

Wow. Good recovery on this from cave. Well done deciga staff for getting on there back for the patch. Hud options look great and this is at the standard of mushi port now.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

We are aware similar issues exist in both Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles and will be looking into whether the same fix can be applied to both those games too
interesting
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Deatsmiles considered for patching hmmmm...
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Having said that, we also realise for some of you, this is a very important element of the game
ketsuipachi not running at half speed all the damn time is a very important element for absolutely everyone
In relation to this, one thing we would like your understanding on is that although the Steam version is based on the Xbox 360 version of the game, it has been newly ported to the PC meaning they are not one and the same thing.
"it's a different game now so cave doesn't have to fix shit"
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

To be fair, DFK's Arrange A hard crash was also in the 360 version. Keeping it in and making the game unplayable for everyone is true to the original experience. Right?
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

tbh since they already fixed the doom milking and removed the double damage glitch, they should just scrap making the ketsuipachi slowdown true to the 360 version and just make the damn thing playable without falling asleep from the constant slowdown
Glick

Post by Glick »

Bananamatic wrote:tbh since they already fixed the doom milking and removed the double damage glitch, they should just scrap making the ketsuipachi slowdown true to the 360 version and just make the damn thing playable without falling asleep from the constant slowdown
Agreed. Nobody took the X360 Ketsuipachi high scores seriously anyways, so nothing of value would be lost here.
Glick

Post by Glick »

Also, on an unrelated note, does anyone have any advice or videos for practicing the Laser Wheels section between Midboss 1 and 2 on Stage 5? Trying to go for a 2-all and this stage is destroying me on both loops.

I've been following a few clears, but they tend to use pretty heavy scoring strategies. In addition, practicing is a bit of a pain since you have to start prior to Midboss #1..
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Glick wrote:Also, on an unrelated note, does anyone have any advice or videos for practicing the Laser Wheels section between Midboss 1 and 2 on Stage 5? Trying to go for a 2-all and this stage is destroying me on both loops.

I've been following a few clears, but they tend to use pretty heavy scoring strategies. In addition, practicing is a bit of a pain since you have to start prior to Midboss #1..
scoring = survival
thats all there is to it; ground enemies can become a problem if you don't get rid of them asap
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I just felt like pointing out that claiming that PC ports can't be equal or better than the 360 releases is actually total nonsense.

That's like saying "well, the 360 is different to the arcade hardware, therefore the games can't be ported accurately". People were more than happy with the accuracy of most 360 ports, and it significantly dropped the price of most PCBs. There is no reason why these ports could not be equal or better than their 360 ports, they have all the time in the world. Rushing out 2+ ports every fiscal is only going to hurt them in the long run.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

Elixir wrote:I just felt like pointing out that claiming that PC ports can't be equal or better than the 360 releases is actually total nonsense.

That's like saying "well, the 360 is different to the arcade hardware, therefore the games can't be ported accurately". People were more than happy with the accuracy of most 360 ports, and it significantly dropped the price of most PCBs. There is no reason why these ports could not be equal or better than their 360 ports, they have all the time in the world. Rushing out 2+ ports every fiscal is only going to hurt them in the long run.
This is exactly it, it's pure laziness and given their track record and this excuse, there isn't much hope that these games will get a proper clean up. Degica's business model does not involve quality, at all. I think most of their line-up reflects this. Someone on the steam forums dropped a savage line on this excuse though:
...that's like saying that a pitcher for the Atlanta Braves can't pitch in Philly because his arm doesn't work being that close to New Jersey, it's absurd.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Cagar wrote:While I understand that getting the slowdown right could be difficult (...it shouldn't be), I really don't like the tip-toeing around the problems. They still have full control over the code and there should be absolutely no excuses.
Cave are aware of the slowdown in BLA, but are tentative about fixing it in case it introduces slowdown issues in other modes
That's the PR friendly degica rep statement

The no bullshit version is probably something like "getting the slowdown right is difficult, so we coded the game so badly we ended up trying to get the slowdown right in all modes at once with a single algorithm and the best we could do was get it right in 1.5 and BL and now we can't touch anything because it would fuck up everything"
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I still find it bizarre how 1.5 and BL can be so good (arguably better than on 360 apparently) and yet BLA and Arrange A have completely opposite problems regarding slowdown. If they're simply applying the same algorithms for slowdown across all modes I could see how BLA could be adversely affected, what with all the chips popping up along with all the star items etc. But then why Arrange A with its tons of bullets and crazy cancelling has next to no slowdown is a mystery to me.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

My thought:

DFKBL Arrange: the cubes have their "lag" value set far too high, so when you have a lot of cubes there's way too much slowdown.

Arrange A: the new player ship and its bullets/hyper shots/bombs has the "lag" value set far too low (or possibly 0, maybe they forgot to ever set them), so the inherent lag from the player being alive and doing things isn't present.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

trap15 wrote:My thought:

DFKBL Arrange: the cubes have their "lag" value set far too high, so when you have a lot of cubes there's way too much slowdown.
It's not the cubes, it happens even during boss fights when none are on the screen and even the boss has barely any bullets onscreen, yet the game is in a constant slowdown state, it's probably the A+C shot causing this as the only people who said they don't have issues haven't raised the rank even for a second

if it's that simple, what's stopping them from changing around a few values until something at least decently works? surely can't take more than a week to get the game into at least a better state?
the issue is so damn blatant that it was apparent to everyone watching the stream who haven't even played the game on 360 themselves, they had to be aware of this a month before release if not longer, yet a few weeks after release it's still "being looked into"?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Bananamatic wrote:It's not the cubes, it happens even during boss fights when none are on the screen and even the boss has barely any bullets onscreen, yet the game is in a constant slowdown state, it's probably the A+C shot causing this as the only people who said they don't have issues haven't raised the rank even for a second
Ah, yeah it could certainly be that too. Given it also chugs hard with 10 chips everywhere, it's probably combination of both.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

I only get the crazy slowdown when the rank bar is in the red.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Cagar wrote:This is what baffles me too. I almost want to see the source code myself already, because putting the pieces we have together makes these slowdown issues seem so stupidly obvious.The situation is pretty much Capcom-tier now.
As a programmer this baffles me as well :shock:

If they have two working builds it is trivial to decouple them from any changes to the other modes.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Glick

Post by Glick »

Just to confirm, the Ketsuipachi slowdown is pretty much entirely red rank bar. Chips have nothing to do with it.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Can't cave just separate the ketsuipachi mode from the current game and possibly sell them separately? (1.5 and BL as the core game, bl arrange as its own game, arrange a/b as its own game with the current release being the full package)

then you could dick around with the slowdown all you want and not worry about screwing up 1.5 and BL one bit
they can clearly adjust the slowdown as the current ketsuipachi has slowdown, just too much of it, it can't be them being unable to touch it but something else
trap15

Post by trap15 »

They already build all the modes as separate exes anyways. There's literally no reason.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

then what could possibly be the issue keeping them from fixing it
unless it's the case of deathsmiles where they supposedly can't do anything about it yet for some unknown reason it still has slowdown (and way too much of it)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Probably that, yeah.
Dangerous_D

Post by Dangerous_D »

does anyone know why we lost dodonpachi resurection on the android apps
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Dangerous_D wrote:does anyone know why we lost dodonpachi resurection on the android apps
Why, is it one of the games you miss playing?
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Dangerous_D wrote:does anyone know why we lost dodonpachi resurection on the android apps
Long story short: The app became obsolete on newer versions of android because they never updated it and never will, so as a useless app it got removed.
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
Observer

Post by Observer »

I think this is why I'm glad we are getting these console and PC ports. At the very least we can guarantee these versions will work. I bought DDP Resurrection for Android and to know I'll not be able to play it anymore once the tablet it's installed in goes boom (which will be soon since it's a crap device from late 2013) is rather sad. By the way, Espgaluda 2... I never even got that one to work either. It simply crashed and crashed.

I've been playing a fair bit more of the different game modes. Black Label is crushing me without pity, even on Novice. Arrange A/B, I'm still trying to understand them. One seems to be DOJ old hyper system mechanics, right? The other... the other feels like a disjointed, disorganized Matrix-styled mess. I have no idea what I'm doing so any pointers will be welcomed.

Ketsuipachi seems fun but I agree they ought to fix that crazy slowdown. Also, just a couple more shots DESU.

Novice vanilla is quite enjoyable and I've been consistently entering the secret route on the first loop. Not so lucky trying to reach the super-mega-secret BEES BEES route though. Game's kicking my butt yet I find it pretty fair most of the time. The deaths I had so far were for abusing the rank or some stupid dodging maneuver or hitbox mis-interpretation. At least no asshole sniper tank. (Raiden, I'm looking at you.)
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Dangerous_D

Post by Dangerous_D »

d3vak wrote:
Long story short: The app became obsolete on newer versions of android because they never updated it and never will, so as a useless app it got removed.

I'm pissed they took it down, really loved playing it