Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
colour_thief

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by colour_thief »

And my New Net City fans sound like they'll stop spinning in the not too distant future. I would definitely like to replace them. I'm assuming it's a standard part but if someone could confirm what that part actually is that would be great.

<edit>
Bad time for a new page, my comment goes with:
moh wrote:Just realized that the fan on my blast city power supply doesn't spin. anyone know where I can find a replacement?
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Fudoh wrote: You basically answered your own question.
Just wanted to make sure :o
Will try and get one of those, then.
Fudoh wrote:...I wouldn't neccessarily but a 10m cable - can't be good for the quality.
Oh...yes, it was the only one I found of that type but 10m is certainly excessive for my purposes :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

white
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

define "looking worse"! The signal is exactly the same with the HDMI signal being a tad better on high resolutions. Every difference you see is caused by different processing applied by the display. There are also hardly any displays around which have more lag on the HDMI input compared the VGA input (with all processing options disabled of course).

Also HDMI and DVI are basically the same, just different connectors and HDMI carries audio. You can use a straight DVI to HDMI cable if you have a DVI source.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

up
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

depends on your monitor. If it's PC monitor then RGB is a safe shot. Should be definitely supported.
ryu

Post by ryu »

can i hook up a sync strike to a xrgb-2 via a standard dsub15 to scart cable?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

HD15 to JP21 - sure, of course. But why would you ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:HD15 to JP21 - sure, of course. But why would you ?
the xrgb produces some nasty noise with my pal snes that's supposed to go away with a sync cleaner inbetween. i'd like to try that since the cables are fairly cheap anyways.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Fudoh wrote:PS: bought of the those ViewHD splitters to give it a try. Would certainly be easier than anything else I have at home.
Picked mine up from the post office today and I can confirm that it does strip HDCP :) It also works just fine with my multi power adapter (5V 1A + center). Same plug size as the SFC, but different polarity.
ryu

Post by ryu »

ok, i just tried to hook up my snes and saturn via sync strike to the x-rgb 2. this is what i got:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Sf-6zX ... e=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4F0mQx4 ... e=youtu.be

anyone know what could be the cause of this? i checked and my sync strike and xrgb-2 are both working fine on their own.

although i couldn't get my sync strike via rgbs into the vp30 to work anymore. i blame my connection setup for this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/cables.png/
i've had those left hanging behind the shelf for a while. guess something has loosened up (those connectors were not very reluiable to begin with...)

i'll have to see that i can get my hands on a proper hd15 to rca rgbs cable after all. :?
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

It looks like you are not getting sync. Have you tried running a vga cable from the SyncStrike into the XRGB?

Actually, wait. Are you using the PC input on the back? Does that input actually process 15khz signals or just act as a pass through?

Edit: I checked the XRGB wiki, and it states that the PC Input is a passthrough input.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-2#Inputs
ryu

Post by ryu »

NWrain wrote:It looks like you are not getting sync. Have you tried running a vga cable from the SyncStrike into the XRGB?
i've used a vga (from sync strike) -> scart -> jp21 cable connection for the setup. the xrgb-2 only does passthrough for 31khz signals on the vga input i believe.

maybe the vga>scart cable does not carry sync? i'll have to check the cable some other day
ryu

Post by ryu »

btw the cable was advertized as a scart to vga cable... i thought that wouldn't mean anything, but maybe that might explain this issue?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Open the Scart header and check: video Pin 20 means VGA to Scart, video on Pin 19 means Scart to VGA.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:Open the Scart header and check: video Pin 20 means VGA to Scart, video on Pin 19 means Scart to VGA.
i'll check up on that tomorrow, thanks!

what pins from the vga plug connect there anyways? if it's just h and v sync, could i just resolder the video line to pin 20 (in case it should be a scart to vga cable)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just the H-sync pin. And sure, you can change the direction by resoldering that one pin.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:just the H-sync pin. And sure, you can change the direction by resoldering that one pin.
thanks, that helped. i'm getting a stable picture now, and the previous noise is gone too!

the picture is a total mess however. i'm getting horizontal and vertical shifts of bright points in at least 3 directions (left, right, up - haven't checked for more). there's also a large bar in the center of the picture which has a different brightness from the obverall picture.

i've got no idea what's causing this... bad shielding in the cable maybe? :?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/wshift1.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/wshift2.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/wshift3.png/
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

massive ground issue I would say.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:massive ground issue I would say.
which means?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you have Scart Pin 17 wired up ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:Do you have Scart Pin 17 wired up ?
yes. the socket has pins 20 on the upper row and pins 17 through 5 on the lower row wired up.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

hmm, hard to tell then. The Sync Strike is certainly not doing this to the picture. What was your reason again to put the Sync Strike in between the source and the XRGB-2 ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:hmm, hard to tell then. The Sync Strike is certainly not doing this to the picture. What was your reason again to put the Sync Strike in between the source and the XRGB-2 ?
the xrgb produces some nasty noise with my pal snes that's supposed to go away with a sync cleaner inbetween.
which means i'm getting small diagonal stripes moving from left to right constantly.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What did you pay for that Scart to VGA cable ? I once bought a cheap one from ebay and was basically unusable, maybe expect for the connectors. I resoldered it with a proper cable and it was fine after that. You should also try to use a VGA to JP21 cable to save another adapter in the chain.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:What did you pay for that Scart to VGA cable ? I once bought a cheap one from ebay and was basically unusable, maybe expect for the connectors. I resoldered it with a proper cable and it was fine after that. You should also try to use a VGA to JP21 cable to save another adapter in the chain.
14 euros. going directly into the xrgb sounds like a plan
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I am thinking about buying a Micomsoft Selecty21 scart switcher. When I translated the Micomsoft webpage, it listed that the Selecty21 has a sync separation circuit. Can anyone confirm that the the Selecty21 separates C-sync from composite video for sync?
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Back again to ask about RGB/S.

Would something like this produce a similar result to a proper RGB/S cable?
I haven't had any luck getting a cable so far but remember I had this lying around. Picture seems to work fine for Saturn but some PS1 games, like Raystorm, gets all jumpy. Though there have been times where it just magically worked. Sync issue or do I need a proper cable after all? :?

Edit: Decided to try the syncstrike way instead, so waiting for that now. Ignore this post for now :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
justice99

Post by justice99 »

Someone knows if third party Dreamcast PAL SCART cables are as good as official cable ?
What about Innovation cable ?

Regards.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On the DC RGB quality is pretty consistent. I never noticed any difference between using a Sega branded cable and a 3rd party one.