NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bcass

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by bcass »

I assume you purchased the game directly using your paypal card?

Eitherway, you'll know if it worked or not after the download finishes, because the IP check occurs at the very beginning and very end of the download.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:I assume you purchased the game directly using your paypal card?

Eitherway, you'll know if it worked or not after the download finishes, because the IP check occurs at the very beginning and very end of the download.
yes
bcass

Post by bcass »

Interesting. I guess technically, there's no need for them to perform an IP check when paying by credit card, since you normally need a Japanese card to purchase with. Keep us updated.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Well... I just launched it, it updated, and now I see a Konami logo. It works.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Great. I guess that gives US and UK residents who own J360s another method of purchasing Japanese GoD titles then.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I looked again. I had Otomedius Gorgeous installed at the time (Because I'm not fucking waiting for that game to load) and when I purchased the GOD version, it just overwrote it with the download. Just saying.

It also grew .1gb to 3.4gb, despite the download saying 3.3gb.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Someone will have to try it with a game they didn't already have installed then to confirm exactly what the situation is. Elixir described a similar situation.

Did you have the DVD in the DVD drive when you loaded the game after downloading from GoD?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:Someone will have to try it with a game they didn't already have installed then to confirm exactly what the situation is. Elixir described a similar situation.

Did you have the DVD in the DVD drive when you loaded the game after downloading from GoD?
No. I haven't taken Otomedius Gorgeous out of its case since before purchasing the GOD version.
bcass

Post by bcass »

By the sounds of things, it does sound like if you buy a GoD title you've already got installed from DVD, it converts your installed game into a GoD game, which makes sense I suppose as it saves Microsoft the bandwidth. There's nothing I need to buy at the moment, but as soon as something appears (I don't think it will be long now before DeathSmiles appears on the JPN GoD service) I'll report back here.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

bcass wrote:By the sounds of things, it does sound like if you buy a GoD title you've already got installed from DVD, it converts your installed game into a GoD game, which makes sense I suppose as it saves Microsoft the bandwidth.
Emphasis mine:
dieKatze88 wrote:I looked again. I had Otomedius Gorgeous installed at the time (Because I'm not fucking waiting for that game to load) and when I purchased the GOD version, it just overwrote it with the download. Just saying.
Would be interested in knowing what happens if someone tries this when it isn't already installed though, but it sounds like it downloaded it all regardless.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

StarCreator wrote:
bcass wrote:By the sounds of things, it does sound like if you buy a GoD title you've already got installed from DVD, it converts your installed game into a GoD game, which makes sense I suppose as it saves Microsoft the bandwidth.
Emphasis mine:
dieKatze88 wrote:I looked again. I had Otomedius Gorgeous installed at the time (Because I'm not fucking waiting for that game to load) and when I purchased the GOD version, it just overwrote it with the download. Just saying.
Would be interested in knowing what happens if someone tries this when it isn't already installed though, but it sounds like it downloaded it all regardless.
Nah bcass, it took a good 40 minutes to download, it definitely moved 3.4gb of data through my internet connection.
prismra

Post by prismra »

Anyone order from hmv.co.jp? It says that the total cost of a 4GB slim is 20,057 yen but that the delivery cost (1200Y) could change and that it is only an estimate. Anyone have any experience ordering from them?
njiska

Post by njiska »

prismra wrote:Anyone order from hmv.co.jp? It says that the total cost of a 4GB slim is 20,057 yen but that the delivery cost (1200Y) could change and that it is only an estimate. Anyone have any experience ordering from them?
I order from them all the time and a fellow shmupper just bought a 360 from them. What you do is place the order. Then they'll contact you with the actual shipping cost for that item. It's due to the excessive size/weight. If you don't respond to the email with the actual shipping cost saying it's ok within 7 days they will automatically cancel the order. HMV are good people.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
prismra

Post by prismra »

njiska wrote: I order from them all the time and a fellow shmupper just bought a 360 from them. What you do is place the order. Then they'll contact you with the actual shipping cost for that item. It's due to the excessive size/weight. If you don't respond to the email with the actual shipping cost saying it's ok within 7 days they will automatically cancel the order. HMV are good people.
Thanks for the info!
InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

dieKatze88 wrote:NOTE That my LAST NAME IS SHOWN FIRST. I have a feeling this is part of the success story. Make sure you do that.
I get - クレジットカード番号を正しく入力してください。 please enter the correct credit card number, I have triple checked is is correct.

My Palpal card is xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx yet i notice it has space for another 4 numbers?

This is what I have:

Am i doing something wrong?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Yes, you're using a translation service on a credit card processing page. you HAVE to do that step in Japanese, that's why I had the entire process in Japanese.

You can still copy paste bits of that website into Google translate though, so don't feel like we're leaving you high and dry in the language department.

Also, there MAY be a restriction of one account per credit card, so if you're trying to attach a credit card thats already attached to another account, login to that account and remove it with that tool.

Edit:
The technical reason for this is pretty simple. Those translation services like to dick with the entire page, not just the displayed visuals, this means that the actual code used to process your information may be changed when using Google translate against a page, and that of course means that the process will fail. Try it in Japanese.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Where abouts on the paypal site can you apply for the credit/debit card?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

prismra wrote:Anyone order from hmv.co.jp? It says that the total cost of a 4GB slim is 20,057 yen but that the delivery cost (1200Y) could change and that it is only an estimate. Anyone have any experience ordering from them?
Let me know how much they quote you, I might buy a 4GB Slim myself.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:Where abouts on the paypal site can you apply for the credit/debit card?
This is one of those region specific ones. I ended up having the link on my paypal ads section for a while, but it had disappeared by the time I wanted to do it. Scroll down all the way on the homepage and it was right there for me.
Elixir wrote:
Let me know how much they quote you, I might buy a 4GB Slim myself.
I do love my 4GB slim. Best purchase in a while.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I think the UK card mustn't be available any more. Following the steps on this UK page:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2076722_apply ... -card.html

And there's no sign at all of how to apply for the UK card. It's either no longer available, or it's the most well-hidden service on the paypal UK website.

*edit* it's no longer available in the UK. This, quoted directly from the paypal site:
new cards no longer available

Thanks for your interest in the PayPal Top Up Card. Unfortunately we're no longer accepting new applications, however you can still take advantage of exclusive offers when you shop with your PayPal account at the PayPal Offers site
I guess they didn't want to keep offering people credit when the credit bubble burst a few years ago.

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/topupcard/index.htm
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I emailed HMV concerning their shipping on the Slim 360. They seem hesitant to give me an actual shipping quote unless I place an order, and placing the order means entering my credit card details, likely forcing me into the deal.
Greetings from HMV.co.jp,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The price table for the freight in the help page is sorted according to the number of items.
The estimate freight will be shown on the website when placing orders.

However, the final freight is determined according to the weight of the items in your order,
therefore, the final freight may become higher than the estimate.
If you would like to be informed when the delivery cost changes,
please tick the box before completing the order.
In that case, we will let you know how much the delivery cost changes via e-mail.

Thank you for shopping at HMV.co.jp.
We look forward to your next visit to our website.

Best regards,
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Received another email.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.
As international shipping cost is based on the weight of each packages,
we are not able to finalize your shipping costs just before we dispatch your order.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,

HMV E-Commerce Customer Service
No thanks.

Galactik

Post by Galactik »

I just received my new J-360 4gb Slim from Play-Asia in the mail, and have it unboxed. This is my first J-360 and my first import console for that matter. I live in Canada. I was worried about needing a different power supply but the power supply that came with the J-360 is the same as my North American one.

The North American one says:
Input: AC 110-127V 3.7A
Output: DC 135w

The J-360 one says:
Input: AC 110-127V 3.7A
Output: DC 135w

They look identical in every way. I dont want to take a risk with wrecking my new 360, any thoughts? Can I just plug the system in and go?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Galactik wrote:Can I just plug the system in and go?
Yes.
:lol:
Galactik

Post by Galactik »

awesome thanx
deexor

Post by deexor »

Elixir wrote:I emailed HMV concerning their shipping on the Slim 360. They seem hesitant to give me an actual shipping quote unless I place an order, and placing the order means entering my credit card details, likely forcing me into the deal.
FWIW, the shipping cost from HMV to nothern Europe (Finland) would have been 10,200 yen (90€/US$125), more than half of the price of the Xbox itself.

Of course, the shipping cost to you would be different, but that's the general ballpark I guess.
GAME OVER
InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

I would like to contribute something back for all the great Xbox 360 NTSC-J information I have got from this thread.
After a lot of messing about I was finally able to setup a VPN so Xbox Live would let me buy content from the Japanese marketplace.

Tutorial: Setup a VPN for Xbox Live & buy DLC and Games on Demand from the Japanese Marketplace

I have tried to make the tutorial as detailed as possible so you will not have any problems, if you can think of any additions / improvements please do feel free to say, however I think I have covered everything to get you up and running.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I didn't even use a VPN. It just worked.
bcass

Post by bcass »

That's only because you used a credit card. If you buy using points then the IP check is in place and you have to use a VPN/proxy.
InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

Aye, I never had any luck with the PayPal credit card thing.

Apparently its no more at the end of the month anyway, I got this email today:
We wanted to remind you that your PayPal Top Up Card will end on 31 March 2011 and the card issuer RBS will not be issuing any new cards after this date.

If you still have money on your PayPal Top Up Card then you'll need to spend it before the card expires. If you have any remaining balance after 31 March, we'll automatically refund any balance into your PayPal account. You should expect to receive this payment after 15 April 2011.

Thanks for using the PayPal Top Up Card.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal