current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Rob

Post by Rob »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Old Time Relijun
This song is awesome.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

All of The Spits records. None of 'em is really an "album" per se...

"Death by Unga Bunga" The Mummies
"The Good Times are Killing Me" Thee Headcoats
"Fist Fights Hot Love" The Earaches
"Sex Objects" The Briefs
"Smash Hits" Teengenerate

And I keep playing the song "Mr Cool" by Flip Nunez over and over again.

Pa
Marc

Post by Marc »

Anyone into hardcore/post hardcore should go chech out Desert City Soundtrtack. Now. 1st LP 'Funeral Car', track 3 'Drawn and Quartered'. Drums, guitar, piano and lots of screaming. It kicks arse and I really can't recommend it highly enough.

And again, Juno's 'A Future Lived In Past Tense'. If 60+ minutes of feedback-drenched, fuzzed-up 3 guitar psychadelic punk sounds like your thing, this is the only LP you'll ever need.

And I think I've mentioned before, but I'm a huge T. Rex fan, and anyone into classic rock 'n' roll that hasn't heard either 'Electric Warrior' or 'The Slider', isn't, not really.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

dementia wrote:
SheSaidDutch wrote: I love Cursive!
How do they sound now that Gretta left? In all honesty, I didn't like them before they had a cellist.
Sorry for the late reply,

I've only heard up to the "ugly organ" due to last of money. once I purchase it I'll let you know.
My Trying Not To
Rob

Post by Rob »

A-Frames - Black Forest
Lake of Dracula - s/t
James Chance & the Contortions - Buy
Oneida - Secret Wars
Natural Dreamers - s/t
Hella - Chirpin half

yes yes yes
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

This week:

The Ramones - All the Stuff and More vol 1
El P - Fantastic Damage
Kruder & Dorfmeister - G Stoned EP
King Tubby - I Am the King
McCoy Tyner - Expansions
Napalm Death - Scum
Public Image Ltd - The Flowers of Romance
Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
The JB's - Pass the Peas: The Best of the JB's
The Bulemics - Talk Dirty to Me
Front 242 - Front By Front
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Corrosion of Conformity - In the Arms of God
Yob - The Unreal Never Lived
Naked Lunch as read by William S Burroughs
Acrimony - The Acid Elephant EP
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
system11

Post by system11 »

Digging through a few older CDs, revisited just how damn good this is:

Fields Of The Nephilim - Elysium
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
MadSteelDarkness

bloodflowers wrote:Digging through a few older CDs, revisited just how damn good this is:

Yeah, that's a good one. I always wondered why they didn't include a version of "Psychonaut" on that album, as it's one of my fave tracks by FOTN.

Those guys were planning a North American tour, but broke up right before it happened.

By the way, have you seen Hardware? Carl McCoy had a cameo role in that film, as did Lemmy and Iggy Pop (or rather, his voice). Neat flick, with a fantastic soundtrack. It kind of plays like an Argento-directed take on Soylent Green meets Mad Max...with a killer robot.
fullblownaidzz

Post by fullblownaidzz »

code 13- comeplete Discography
the total end - new ep
diallo -diagram of a scam
another oppressive system- self titled.
system11

Post by system11 »

MadSteelDarkness wrote:
bloodflowers wrote:Digging through a few older CDs, revisited just how damn good this is:

Yeah, that's a good one. I always wondered why they didn't include a version of "Psychonaut" on that album, as it's one of my fave tracks by FOTN.

Those guys were planning a North American tour, but broke up right before it happened.

By the way, have you seen Hardware? Carl McCoy had a cameo role in that film, as did Lemmy and Iggy Pop (or rather, his voice). Neat flick, with a fantastic soundtrack. It kind of plays like an Argento-directed take on Soylent Green meets Mad Max...with a killer robot.
Yup, seen that - interesting film, flawed but definitely interesting in many ways. FYI there's a new Fields Of The Nephilim album coming out in early November - this time not a rumour, it's actually been recorded.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Joy Division-Closer
My Trying Not To
CIT

Post by CIT »

Deerhoof - Milkman
Ayumi Hamasaki - Ayu Trance 2
Fischer-Dieskau/Moore - Schubert Lieder
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (always listening to that... :D )
MadSteelDarkness

bloodflowers wrote:FYI there's a new Fields Of The Nephilim album coming out in early November - this time not a rumour, it's actually been recorded.
Thanks for the heads up on that, bloodflowers! Hopefully it will be better than the errr...less than stellar "Nefilim" record that came out way back when...

Carl, what were you thinking?

Hmmm...I think I'll have to pop in Dawnrazor now just for giggles.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

The Gossip-Arkansas Heat
The Chromatics-Plaster Hounds
Home-13:Netherregions
The Microphones-It Was Hot We Stayed In The Water
Elliott Smith-from a basement on the hill
Pernice Brothers-Discover a Lovelier You
The Dandy Warhols-Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

[quote="adam76"]Interpol - 'antics' + 'turn on the bright lights'. Rapidly turning into one of my favourite bands ever. Hooks aplenty and the singers got a great way with words./quote]

I recently purchased Interpol- Turn On The Bright Lights. much as I like Antics TOTBL is currently my favourite out of the two.

btw is the black e.p worth getting?
My Trying Not To
FRO

Post by FRO »

I've been digging the debut release from The Showdown quite a lot (A Chorus of Obliteration). I've also been spinning Tourniquet & Project 86.

I'm currently listening to The Fundamental Elements of Southtown by POD.

I'm anxiously awaiting my package in the mail of Demon Hunter's new album The Tryptich. I pre-ordered & it will come w/ a DVD documentary of the making of the album.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

ZZ Top "Fandango"
Les Paul & Mary Ford "Brazil"
Tennessee Ernie Ford "Ol' Rockin' Ern"
The Kingsmen "In Person"
Creedence Clearwater Revival self titled
George Thorogood and The Destroyers self titled
Woody Woodbury "Concert in Comedy"
Woody Woodbury "Looks at Love and Life"

Pa
system11

Post by system11 »

I picked up the new Depeche Mode album today. Big fan of theirs for many years. I didn't even know they were going to do another album, but I'm happy they did. It's as strong as Violator, better than Ultra by a long, long way.

Anyway - here it is:

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel
Brian

Post by Brian »

The last few weeks my car has seen:

KMFDM - Hau Ruck
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
Black Rebel Motorcylce Club - HOWL
Derek Sherinian - Mythology
Frameshift - An Absence of Empathy
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

bloodflowers wrote:It's as strong as Violator
Disagree HEAVILY. The production is great, but the songwriting just ain't there for the most part. This is one album I expect everyone to love for a month and then ignore (much like everything KMFDM has done since Symbols, or... well, Exciter).
system11

Post by system11 »

sethsez wrote:
Disagree HEAVILY. The production is great, but the songwriting just ain't there for the most part. This is one album I expect everyone to love for a month and then ignore (much like everything KMFDM has done since Symbols, or... well, Exciter).
Well, it's missing something equal to Enjoy The Silence (IMHO very nearly their best track ever), but a couple of the tracks really do grab me, and only one left me feeling 'meh, what was that effort?' (macro). I never liked KFMDM at all, and Exciter sucked. Ultra had 2 good tracks, Songs Of Faith and Devotion was quite nice, but a bit too .. overdone in places.
system11

Post by system11 »

sethsez wrote:
Re-listened to Violator to doublecheck. Seth is right. It's still a country mile better than Exciter and Ultra though.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

these days its all about twentyinchburial, fuckin brilliant band, mosh!!!
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

bloodflowers wrote:
sethsez wrote:
Re-listened to Violator to doublecheck. Seth is right. It's still a country mile better than Exciter and Ultra though.
I don't think anything on it is as good as "Barrel of a Gun", "It's no Good" or "Dream On" but I agree it's a stronger album overall than those. However, I think once the novelty of a new, non-sucky Depeche Mode album wears off and it's had time to sink in, it'll get crammed in with Ultra and Exciter. I don't see it having any longetivity.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Just got the Maxmillion self titled disc and the Church of Misery/Acrimony split. Acrimony is the most criminally underrated, underexposed band in the psych/doom/stoner rock scene. Too bad they've been broken up since 99 and everything is out of print.
Last edited by Acid King on Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BIG

Post by BIG »

The Killers: Hot Fuss
Weezer: Pinkerton
The Strokes: Is This It?
Immortal Technique: Revolution Vol.I &II

B-
MadSteelDarkness

I went record shopping for the first time since March :oops:, and picked up a bunch of stuff which has all been in heavy rotation this week:

Some Girls - "All My Friends Are Going Death" and " The D.N.A. Will Have It's Say"
The Holy Mountain - "Entrails"
The Immortal Lee County Killers - "These Bones Will Rise To Love You Again"
The Locust - s/t mini CD
400 Blows - "Black Rainbow"
The Spits - "19 Million A.C. EP CD", s/t (Slovenly Recordings), and s/t (Dirtnap)

I want to give props to PaCrappa for re-acquainting me with The Spits. I caught them a while ago at SXSW, and they didn't really stick in my mind. But I listened to them again, and this was just what the doctor ordered. Fun!
Last edited by MadSteelDarkness on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Nice! The Spits are the best thing to happen to me in years. They are the best band currently in existence. I'm going to try to see them twice this coming weekend.

I just discovered this band The Black Jetts. They have some killer songs on myspace. "Another Nite" is especially sweet. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... A939512362 Damn that is a big link.

I've been trying to downsize my whole life lately. I'm not going all Click-Stick and turning in my badge and uniform or anything, but I gotta trim some of this stupid fat. So I sold like 5-600 records over the last couple weeks. Every time I'd go to the hip hop place I'd be tempted by the first Main Source album or "Slaughtahouse" by Masta Ace. But the last time I saw something I just couldn't resist; A Studio One ska compilation. I am so glad that I purchased it. I don't listen to enough oldies like this and had forgotten how much I like guys like Jackie Mittoo, Ken Boothe and The Skatalites. I think I'm about to binge out on Skatalites purchases.

Other favorites would look just like my last list with the addition of Dangerdoom. I think that's the title. I only have a burn now but I'll definitely be buying it. Hilarious tribute to Adult Swim with cameo appearances by Meatwad, Carl, Master Shake, Brak, Zorak and Space Ghost. And these aren't just samples from the shows, but new material for the album.

Pa
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Right Now i'm listening to the Raycrisis rearranged OST (Raycrisis - Rayon de L'air). I have to say that Tamayo Kawamoto is a little genius and the majestic darkness behind this album is truly inspiring, in a disturbing way. I find amazing, as well, Rubbing Beat, which is the rearranged OST of Rayforce.

Yes, this thread needed some nerdism.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.