Arcade Sticks VS Gamepads. + What makes a quality Stick?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
drauch

Re: Arcade Sticks VS Gamepads. + What makes a quality Stick?

Post by drauch »

Shoulder injuries last for so long. It's not uncommon that you'll feel pain like that after such a short time, even doing simple things like using an arcade stick. I fucked up my shoulder bad a few years ago from improper form while working out, and it still bothers me from time to time. It'll just take awhile. It always helps me to play with the stick low, rather than high on a desk. Definitely helps to keep your arms down while you're healing.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
chempop

Post by chempop »

Yup, shoulder injuries are a god damn pain in the ass. Rotator cuff tear takes years and years to recover from. What's strange is how while it's healing sometimes I was like, YAY I can lift heavy things again, but then something like reaching for a doorknob would screw it up again and it'd go limp.

Definitely might want to use a pad for a while if you are experiencing something similar.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

For me, it's gotta be a Sanwa joystick and buttons... Seimitsu also good. I know some prefer the shorter throw / engage of seimitsu.

That's what the japanese arcade cabs use, and therefore to me the most authentic experience.

Hori, Madcatz, etc have made sticks with these parts, but not all models have the good parts. You'll want to find out specifically what you are buying. In my case I got a Hori that came with a Sanwa stick but Hori buttons, which I replaced with Sanwa buttons.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

tzakiel wrote:For me, it's gotta be a Sanwa joystick and buttons... Seimitsu also good. I know some prefer the shorter throw / engage of seimitsu.

That's what the japanese arcade cabs use, and therefore to me the most authentic experience.
Oh, so that's what Japanese Acades use.. I take it even for STGs too. And I guess the throw/engage ain't that short on them... And Seimitsu are the ones with shorter throw/engage... Well, good to know. Thanks for answering my questions, tzakiel. :)
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I always prefer to play with sticks as well. Preferably on a cab.
Seimitsu's regular LS-32 are the best for me. Short throw and a medium soft spring allows for fast directional changes and small increments of movement. Widely used in Japanese arcades as well.
For buttons i like Sanwa's more expensive ones. Great feel and response.

In the end i guess it has to do with what you're more comfortable with. Keyboards and controllers might be just as good.
It's just that i feel like using my entire wrist for movement as opposed to my fingers or just my thumb allows for greater precision.
Kind of ironic seeing as i'm a guitarist and pretty used to using my fingers in more or less demanding and precision requiring ways.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
LSU

Post by LSU »

Grew up in the 80's playing arcade games in my teen formative years, so it absolutely has to be a stick for me. I suspect it's mainly just a combination of muscle memory and nostalgia. I only play for fun (I'm old, and really not very good) so it's purely about the feel of it and what seems to be 'authentic' and ultimately the most enjoyable to play with. I suppose it reminds me of the arcade experience.

Another vote for Seimitsu sticks and Sanwa buttons. For me it's the most responsive combination and probably the best overall setup.

Although, I do also have a real soft spot for my old MAS stick which I believe uses all HAPP parts. Took a while to adapt to this after using Japanese sticks and buttons for many years, but eventually got the hang of it - I just needed to be be a lot more aggressive with it. :) It's such a weighty piece of equipment though, which probably counts for a lot of the appeal.

But, if it really has to be a pad, then it has to be a Saturn pad. They're awesome.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Sinful wrote: Oh, so that's what Japanese Acades use.. I take it even for STGs too. And I guess the throw/engage ain't that short on them... And Seimitsu are the ones with shorter throw/engage... Well, good to know. Thanks for answering my questions, tzakiel. :)
Sanwa and Seimitsu are similar in appearance and overall pretty similar (basic config, a fairly short stick with a ball top and square gate), but Seimitsu sticks do have a shorter throw. Sanwa is the gold standard for fighting games; Seimitsu for shmups. I play both so I use a sanwa but I am considering another cab like a blast city, with a Seimitsu stick and vertical CRT.