Mega Man Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
njiska

Re: Mega Man Miscellanies

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote: @ChainsawGuitarSP - While I agree with the general basis of your sentiment, I'd appreciate some ixnaying on the word "faggot," as it's hateful and unworthy. "Fag" is preferred, if you must. </request, not a demand>
I for one am fine with the word faggot (it's only hateful if you choose to give it that power), but I think ChainsawGuitarSP is being a bit of a an unreasonable with his comments to Casper<3. First of all this thread has been surprisingly non-combatitive about different opinions and I'd like to see that cordiality maintained. Second, I think that's unfair considering X6 is widely considered one of the weakest entries in the X series for specifically the reason Casper<3 mentioned, cheap deaths. It also has random nightmare effects that don't always work correctly and break memorization. I do disagree with him about reaction vs. memorization as Mega Man games teach you to react by making you memorize, but cheap deaths are not fun all round. It's one of my big problems with MM4.

My point is let's keep discourse as civil as possible.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

I can accept X6 does have it's flaws and I don't expect everyone else to hold it in the high regard that I do, but it certainly does not deserve the nasty reputation it has. I'm just dead sick of hearing all the butthurt from fans who never took any serious dedication to the series before and suddenly think it's Capcom's fault for giving it more depth beyond HERP DERP, HOW WELL CAN YOU DO WITHOUT UPGRADES?!
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:
Casper<3 wrote:I am a lazy faggot who can't be fucked dedicating more than one playthrough to learning a Mega Man game. Enjoying an extra bit of challenge in your games is in poor taste.
Thanks for sharing your opinion of the game!

One day he has my quote in his sig because he agrees with it, the next he's calling me a faggot. What a confused individual.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:I'm just dead sick of hearing all the butthurt from fans who never took any serious dedication to the series
There are different degrees and types of "dedication" to take into consideration: getting more proficient at applying a base formula to various problems is a different beast than becoming able to repeat more and more of pi's sequential digits on command.
njiska

Post by njiska »

BulletMagnet wrote: There are different degrees and types of "dedication" to take into consideration: getting more proficient at applying a base formula to various problems is a different beast than becoming able to repeat more and more of pi's sequential digits on command.
Very well said. I shall need to to remember that quote as it will come in quite handy.
ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:I can accept X6 does have it's flaws and I don't expect everyone else to hold it in the high regard that I do, but it certainly does not deserve the nasty reputation it has. I'm just dead sick of hearing all the butthurt from fans who never took any serious dedication to the series before and suddenly think it's Capcom's fault for giving it more depth beyond HERP DERP, HOW WELL CAN YOU DO WITHOUT UPGRADES?!
I'll have to play it myself before getting any further into this debate.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:I'm just dead sick of hearing all the butthurt from fans who never took any serious dedication to the series before.
Yea totally, I've been playing megaman game since I was 5 years old, (on every console and as the games came out, I even remember being surprised that megaman x came out and was only one super nintendo, not regular nintendo) I'm 27 now. That's 22 years of playing megaman, no way at all I'm allowed to have an opinion or know anything about megaman.

Look, all I did was ask for other opinions on the game (which you declined to give yours at the time yet bash me for mine and call me a faggot?) to see if others shared the same views.

Grow up!
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Oh yeah, I think now's a good time to give out some helpful advice; Do not enter Blaze Heatnix's stage without stocking up on some health upgrades first. You'll need all the giga attack ammo you can get. Stay away from Gate's lab until you find the Hyper Dash and Jumper parts as well.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

What a little coward. You pick a fight, then ignore the responses.

Way to explain yourself or admit you were in the wrong. xD
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Alright boys, howsa bout we all take a deep breath and not get my precious megaman thread locked, eh?

MMX6 is officially kicking my ass into the next century, btw. Started on Battle Network 2. Wasn't at all what I was expecting. Pretty good so far, just got my BLicense. Love the repeated admonitions to finish your homework before playing.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Started playing Mega Man 9 this week. Have not had this much trouble with stages in quite a few games. So many careful spike jumps. I love it. Currently trying to get the hang of the Green/Yellow Double Devil. Can't quite get the pattern down. Hopefully I can get through the castle tonight so i can start on 10 tomorrow.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Yellow devil type bosses always give me a hard time. You'll be happy to discover that in the Challenge mode of MM10, you can practice, or try to get a best time, for any boss you like as long as you've reached it in the regular game.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote:Yellow devil type bosses always give me a hard time. You'll be happy to discover that in the Challenge mode of MM10, you can practice, or try to get a best time, for any boss you like as long as you've reached it in the regular game.
That is kind of useful. Devils are always bastards, but they're also the single most predictable boss in the series. The pattern never, ever changes. I'm just tired and it's not helping.

Once I get through MM10 I'm planning to go back and try Super Hero Mode in 9 and Hard mode in 10. Also going to play through as Bass. Bass is just awesome, but I wish he had his double jump.

I can also now cross Powered Up - Old Style off my list. Not crazy about the changes to Wily, the Yellow Devil or the reduced usefulness of the ice slasher on Fire Man, though.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Anyone tried going for the crazy achievement of beating MM9 or MM10 without taking damage?

I'm all for a challenge, and even beat both games without losing a life, but no damage? Madness.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I've seen some Mr. Perfect clears on youtube of 9 and 10. I think what one guy said he did was have an "official" game running, and then did outside practice runs on each level until he had it down perfect before returning to the main save. I imagine that makes things easier, but I still can't fathom pulling it off.

I still haven't managed a 1CC of a megaman game yet. I think I should be able to pull off MM2 or X1. Anyone even get that far? Edit: Oh right, Ruldra. :woops:
Last edited by Moniker on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryu

Post by ryu »

mm2 on gameboy is the easiest mega man game
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote:I've seen some Mr. Perfect clears on youtube of 9 and 10. I think what one guy said he did was have an "official" game running, and then did outside practice runs on each level until he had it down perfect before returning to the main save. I imagine that makes things easier, but I still can't fathom pulling it off.

I still haven't managed a 1CC of a megaman game yet. I think I should be able to pull off MM2 or X1. Anyone even get that far? Edit: Oh right, Ruldra. :woops:
If you don't fuck up the turret boss then MM2 should be quite doable. If you can get to the castle in MM3 without continuing then you'll be set for the rest of the game as it gives you about 5 E-Tanks between start and finish. X1 is a walk in the park to 1CC. The Hadouken would make some of the castle bosses quicker, but it should be easy even without it.

I've only got a 1CC of MMX. I need to get one of MM2 and if i can muster the boss gauntlet, MM1.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Yeah the turret boss gives me pause. Game's biggest flaw, IMO, I've made my peace with the others but not that one. Just have to rehearse it I guess. In MM3, it's the MM2 boss fights that get me. Woodman. IIRC you only get 3 tanks before Wily's 5, which is.. odd. Always found 3 the hardest of the NES games... do that one last.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote:Yeah the turret boss gives me pause. Game's biggest flaw, IMO, I've made my peace with the others but not that one. Just have to rehearse it I guess. In MM3, it's the MM2 boss fights that get me. Woodman. IIRC you only get 3 tanks before Wily's 5, which is.. odd. Always found 3 the hardest of the NES games... do that one last.
Don't just practice the turret boss, practice mining energy from the damn joes. There is nothing worse than screwing up your first attempt at the turret boss and not being good enough to get energy from the Joes without dying. Same reason I hate the Item-1 platform section in Wily 1.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

njiska wrote:
Moniker wrote:Yellow devil type bosses always give me a hard time. You'll be happy to discover that in the Challenge mode of MM10, you can practice, or try to get a best time, for any boss you like as long as you've reached it in the regular game.
That is kind of useful. Devils are always bastards, but they're also the single most predictable boss in the series. The pattern never, ever changes. I'm just tired and it's not helping.

Once I get through MM10 I'm planning to go back and try Super Hero Mode in 9 and Hard mode in 10. Also going to play through as Bass. Bass is just awesome, but I wish he had his double jump.

I can also now cross Powered Up - Old Style off my list. Not crazy about the changes to Wily, the Yellow Devil or the reduced usefulness of the ice slasher on Fire Man, though.

Actually in 10 they changed it! It's no longer a yellow (or black) devil, instead it's a square! Patterns are a bit different and blocks come from all 4 walls instead of just the sides. However, new version is a lot easier than previous incarnations.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Casper<3 wrote: Actually in 10 they changed it! It's no longer a yellow (or black) devil, instead it's a square! Patterns are a bit different and blocks come from all 4 walls instead of just the sides. However, new version is a lot easier than previous incarnations.
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a combination of a Devil and the second boss of MM2. the one where the walls com apart and join into enemies.

Update on my MM9 progress. I must be broken tonight. Tried the castle again. Couldn't get past the underwater spike section of Wily two. It gave me no trouble just a few hours ago and now it's raping me like a clown. Think it's time to take a gaming break and watch The Lion King.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Some of you might have already seen it, but if you're up for a freeware Mega Man tribute this one has been making the rounds of late - haven't tried it myself, so I can't say if it's worth a go or not.
njiska

Post by njiska »

I have never encountered a boss I hate more than the first form of wily in MM9. Bouncing the eggs back it just complete bullshit. It's not that it's hard, it's just that it's tedious and annoying as all hell.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Because I like jumping into threads to bump month-old sub-threads:
Estebang wrote:The ZX games are similar enough that they can be considered new series entries, though they're definitely not as good.
To each their own I suppose; both ZX and ZXA are definitely in my top 3 series-wide. For me, the story, presentation, and unique gameplay comes together in a way that just leaves me in awe, and I'm really sad the series never got another chance.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

StarCreator wrote:Because I like jumping into threads to bump month-old sub-threads:
Estebang wrote:The ZX games are similar enough that they can be considered new series entries, though they're definitely not as good.
To each their own I suppose; both ZX and ZXA are definitely in my top 3 series-wide. For me, the story, presentation, and unique gameplay comes together in a way that just leaves me in awe, and I'm really sad the series never got another chance.
Well damn you. Now I have to revisit them. ZX was actually my first MM game-- I don't think I ever beat it. I don't think i traded it in, so there you go. I remember a lot of running around trying to find out where to go in human form or what have you. We shall see!

Also on Sigma castle for my MMX 1CC run. Good luck to me!
njiska

Post by njiska »

Defeated Wily. Still not a fan of the first form, but it's easy enough with practice or a laser trident. I just wish it wasn't so damn tedious. Definitely enjoyed the game. Possibly the best ending in the series. I love rubbing Wily's nose in all his defeats. Was a bit surprised the ending music was the opening scroll from mega Man 2, but then again, this was clearly a love letter to that game.

Roll on Mega Man 10!
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

1CC Get! Beat MMX and MM2 without continues or farming (save for turret boss energy refill). Got 6 subtanks (I always seem to miss 2) and all the rest of the upgrades save the hadouken. Luckily Sigma was still in my muscle memory.. I remember him being a bitch the first few times out. Pretty sure I made it through with only 2 deaths.

MM2 was a little harder.. I think I only got killed once prior to the Wily stages. Then I started slipping.. 2 on random spikes, 2 to the turret boss :oops:, 1 to Wily round 1, and I beat final Wily on my last life and e-tank. After dying to wily once or twice I realized his pattern is depressingly easy and obvious. Better late than never! The Wily stages weren't as familiar as I thought they'd be; I guess I haven't really played through them as much as I thought.

As for farming weapon capsules when mucking up the turret boss, you can much more easily backtrack one screen and farm hardhats instead. :D

For my next trick... jeez. 1CC MM5 or 6?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

This thread made me check the older MM games, never really played any of them besides MM3 as a kid. As expected, I'm dying all over the place. These games require a lot of memorization from you. I'll try beating them sometime.

Btw, I had no idea MM1 and 2 had inertia. Thank God they removed it from the series, it's very annoying.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

What about Rockman 7 FC 8bit remake on the PC?
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rockman_7_Famicom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtggTg-qZIU
http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html

It's an excellent remake but my only gripe is that when you press Alt + Enter, it does not support full screen. Only 3 resolutions in windowed mode :(
256x224
512x448
768x672

Unless I'm doing something really wrong?!...
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Moniker wrote:Got 6 subtanks (I always seem to miss 2)
Heart tanks, I assume? There are only 4 subtanks in the game.

My next MMX run is going to be minimum powerups only (X-Buster only, no subtanks, no heart tanks, no capsules except legs and buster since both are forced on you). We'll see how that goes.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

ST Dragon wrote:What about Rockman 7 FC 8bit remake on the PC?
It's an excellent remake but my only gripe is that when you press Alt + Enter, it does not support full screen. Only 3 resolutions in windowed mode :(
256x224
512x448
768x672

Unless I'm doing something really wrong?!...
AFAIK, and I've tried mucking with the config window, it indeed does not support fullscreen. Hasn't really been a problem for me -- is it too small on a high res screen or some such? You could always run it in 640X480 compatibility mode on the 512X448 setting.
Starcreator wrote:My next MMX run is going to be minimum powerups only (X-Buster only, no subtanks, no heart tanks, no capsules except legs and buster since both are forced on you). We'll see how that goes.
Another challenge you might consider is a gadgeteer run -- using everything *but* the buster, excepting the first stage of course. Upgrades optional. I haven't made it completely through any games that way -- although I came pretty damn close with my MM2 run since the metal blades are all-powerful. I've gotten pretty far with MM4 as well. It's really fun and makes you learn the game in and out. I haven't tried it with MMX, but since it has such a great weapon set I imagine it would be very rewarding.