XBOX 360 - 240p Video Conversion?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: XBOX 360 - 240p Video Conversion?

Post by fagin »

PWR the Sync Strike externally for this. Mine did not work with the Extron unit without external PWR, regardless of the light on the Sync Strike using SCART PWR.

Ensure Sync Strike is switched to CSYNC mode.

Don't switch any dip sw on the Extron... they should all be OFF.

Connect from the HSYNC or try SYNC on the Extron to the PVM External Sync In (plus R G & B).

Let us know what happens.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

well after the next gamut of tests still no total success, but i think i can rule out the extron as being faulty. I tried everything fagin suggested above and still the image violently flickers in and out. However when i ran a xbox VGA cable to the extron i got a good solid image, however doubled horizontally across the screen (on account of it being a 480p image i imagine?) So at this point i think i have to assume the cheap scart cable i got from hong kong is to blame, can anyone recommend where to get a reliable lead?
fagin

Post by fagin »

I bought one from eBay for £3 and it worked absolutely fine. Are you sure it's a RGB scart lead and not composite SCART.

Take the SCART end apart. Take a picture (so I can see the pins and wires connected).

I'm not sure about HK but JPN scarts are wired differently to EU scart, and EU scart configuration is what the Sync Strike expects.

Yes... if you feed the Extron a 480p signal (i.e. from VGA on your xbox) you won't get any scanlines.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

fagin

Post by fagin »

SCART plug looks fine from what I can see.

The images from the Sync Strike and Extron is losing sync by the looks of it.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

so... could the sync strike be the problem? I guess I'll know for sure-ish once after the next round of tests
fagin

Post by fagin »

Possibly.... you need to eliminate each part of the chain.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Thanks fagin et al...Got the 160xi working a treat with my sony trinitron TV. All setting off with only the ADSP(?) on/flicked up. Still shimmery, but scanlines definitely solid and visible. Only thing is the xbox1 MUST be set to PAL. NTSC will kill your retinas I kid you not. So this is the result of an xbox1 running mame emulator SCART -> sync strike -> 160xi with forementioned setting -> SCART/RGB on sony trinitron (15khz) 29" screen.

Money shots:

fagin

Post by fagin »

You shouldn't have anything switched on apart from CSYNC.

NTSC consoles are 100% fine for me with the Extron unit.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

fagin wrote:You shouldn't have anything switched on apart from CSYNC.

Pass through does not alter the picture at all. The scanlines only come out when the sync processing was on the 'off' position on the 160xi (which in actual fact was the on button).

Fagin, with your setup, can you shift the image horizontally with the knob at the front of the unit?
fagin

Post by fagin »

rugdoctor wrote:
fagin wrote:You shouldn't have anything switched on apart from CSYNC.

Pass through does not alter the picture at all. The scanlines only come out when the sync processing was on the 'off' position on the 160xi (which in actual fact was the on button).

Fagin, with your setup, can you shift the image horizontally with the knob at the front of the unit?
I can only speak for the 580. DDSP On and Off give different scanline effects, as long as CSYNC is ON. DDSP OFF gives the best and most stable scanline effect. Perhaps the 160 is different.

I have no "shift" knob on the 580. Not that I need it as I have full geometry control on the arcade monitor anyway. :)
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Yes, thats what I find too. With DDSP off it does some sort of processing which enable a steady scanline with a touch of shimmery. On PAL the lines are there but not as strong as NTSC which are thick BUT the flickering can get quite nasty on the eyes. Only tried it on the trinitron so other monitors might handle the signal differently.

Hopefully my emotia arrives soon and be done with the flickering once and for all...at the price of more stuff in the chain.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

so i got my setup working last night after replacing the extron and the PSU for the sync strike (why the sync strike didn't like my 9V power supply I can't be sure. 9V DC 500mA seems like it should do the job)
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the image to "stand still" on my PVM, if i have it on default settings the image shakes up and down. Adjusting the V-Hold fixes the shaking but then it will start to roll if the image on-screen is too light/dark. I think I have it just about sorted out but I thought maybe someone might have some input? Thanks!

oh and for anyone shopping for an extron, I can totally recommend the 109xi. The little LCD readout on the front was a lifesaver for troubleshooting
fagin

Post by fagin »

IIRC I had to alter the vert or hori hold on my arcade cab to stabilise the picture.
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

Hi guys

i need your help ^^ So i finally bought an Egret 2 , and i want to play with my 360 on it. This morning, i wanted to try 360 with Extron (580xi and 160) , Sync Strike and viletim's scart2jamma, but unfortunately, im still having trouble with it. And i just discovered that my problem occurs only when my PAL 360 is set on PAL60...when i set it on PAL50...no problem at all, but i cant launch most of my games

The Extron are not faulty, Sync Strike isnt faulty too...Scart2jamma works like a charm with others console (PS2, Saturn)..even with the 360 when i connect it directly.....and i just checked my RGB scart...and all pinout are connected.

So...an idea ? i just posted a quick video i made earlier, can you take a look at it ? (sorry for the quality..and my english :p ^^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... myG0ZmJs_A
fagin

Post by fagin »

I suspect it's the output from the Extron that causes a problem with your scart2jamma adapter. The 50 to 60hz conversion must be mullering the signal!
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

So tomorrow i must find a jamma fingerboard ^^……i would like to buy an official 360 scart cable but it seems i cant find any on the web :(
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Sparda wrote:So tomorrow i must find a jamma fingerboard ^^……i would like to buy an official 360 scart cable but it seems i cant find any on the web :(
I got mine from eBay. You might wanna try to do a search (nothing right now) and then save it. This way you'll get an email when one pops up.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can't you just change the order of the components ? I don't know Viletim's scart adapter, but

360 > SYNC STRIKE > EXTRON > SCART2JAMMA > CAB

could work fine if the Scart2Jamma has problems with the 360's PAL60 sync (which is indeed possible). You would just need a cable from the Extron's BNC outputs to the SCART2JAMMA's scart input (if you need the Scart2Jamma adapter at all).
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sparda wrote:i would like to buy an official 360 scart cable but it seems i cant find any on the web :(
Don't worry about that element imo for CRT connection.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sparda wrote:Hi guys

i need your help ^^ So i finally bought an Egret 2 , and i want to play with my 360 on it. This morning, i wanted to try 360 with Extron (580xi and 160) , Sync Strike and viletim's scart2jamma, but unfortunately, im still having trouble with it. And i just discovered that my problem occurs only when my PAL 360 is set on PAL60...when i set it on PAL50...no problem at all, but i cant launch most of my games

The Extron are not faulty, Sync Strike isnt faulty too...Scart2jamma works like a charm with others console (PS2, Saturn)..even with the 360 when i connect it directly.....and i just checked my RGB scart...and all pinout are connected.

So...an idea ? i just posted a quick video i made earlier, can you take a look at it ? (sorry for the quality..and my english :p ^^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... myG0ZmJs_A
Here's my setup using viletim's Scart to Jamma adapter:

JPN region NTSC Xbox 360 Slim with official Microsoft Advanced 360 Scart cable --> Scart to Jamma --> Egret II in 15kHz mode = 480i picture. Have to adjust the picture size/contrast from within the monitor control panel mounted inside the Egret II for best results. You'll need a hacked 360 controller PCB wired up to the controls interface on the Scart 2 Jamma adapter & you're good to go in the arcade controls department. Up to two 360 controllers hooked up to the Scart 2 Jamma adapter is possible (if you want a pal to join in on the action at anytime).

Or here's another alternative method using an Ultracade UVC setup:

JPN region NTSC XBox 360 Slim with official Microsoft 360 VGA cable --> Ultracade UVC hooked up to an 56-pin Jamma fingerboard setup --> Egret II in 15kHz mode (or 24kHz mode for better resolution overall) = 480i picture. This alternative setup only deals with just video aspect & not interfacing said 360 gaming controls to the Egret II's control panel (entailing extra work, of course).

The first suggested method with the Scart to Jamma setup works flawlessly (a bit of image flickering to contend with but no biggie in that department).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fagin

Post by fagin »

But your first option is 480isville (pass the puke bucket)..... the guy doesn't want that, as he wouldn't be looking at using an Extron RGB Interface in the first place. :wink:
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

with your second setup, the uVC should be pumping out 15Khz @240p not 480i right? Anyway, I will be doing a similar setup as your second option with a fingerboard as shown on emphatic's blog. Just one question, do I need to do anything extra should I decided to hook the uVC to scart or is it simply matching r,g,b and h sync? Do I need to combine both h and v sync to get composite sync or h sync is enough??
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

rugdoctor wrote:with your second setup, the uVC should be pumping out 15Khz @240p not 480i right? Anyway, I will be doing a similar setup as your second option with a fingerboard as shown on emphatic's blog. Just one question, do I need to do anything extra should I decided to hook the uVC to scart or is it simply matching r,g,b and h sync? Do I need to combine both h and v sync to get composite sync or h sync is enough??
My apologies...yes, the uVC will be pumping out 15khz @ 240p.

After looking at my uVC hooked up to the fingerboard, I see that h sync & v sync are joined together for composite sync. You could try that.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

I bought a jamma fingerboard today....planning to solder a female db15..so i can switch between my Emotia or Extron RGB easily....so basically, all i need is soldering Red on pin 12...Green on pin N...Blue on Pin 13...Video Sync on Pin P...then Video Sync Ground must be connected to Pin 14 and 1 ? My BNC cables are made of 2 wires (1 for signal..1 for ground)..so i dont need to use "ground wires" ? Am i right ?

I see some of you prefer UVC over Emotia...any particular reason ?

@Emphatic: Many thanks for your custom move strips. I printed Ketsui, Guwange & ESP Rade (cost me 12€...but quality is awesome)...looks great on my EII ;)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:After looking at my uVC hooked up to the fingerboard, I see that h sync & v sync are joined together for composite sync. You could try that.
UVC dip #8 | Sync Output Signal
· On = Composite
· *Off = HV Sync Separate

I just did what you did though, running both wires to the JAMMA VIDEO SYNC.
Sparda wrote:I bought a jamma fingerboard today....planning to solder a female db15..so i can switch between my Emotia or Extron RGB easily....so basically, all i need is soldering Red on pin 12...Green on pin N...Blue on Pin 13...Video Sync on Pin P...then Video Sync Ground must be connected to Pin 14 and 1 ? My BNC cables are made of 2 wires (1 for signal..1 for ground)..so i dont need to use "ground wires" ? Am i right ?
I think Fudoh better answer this one. I never got my Emotia to look as good as my UVC, but I think I overestimated the BNC cable I had (could be similar to yours). IIRC, they need some kind of re-wiring, but I never did any.
Sparda wrote:I see some of you prefer UVC over Emotia...any particular reason ?
The UVC (and only the UVC, AFAIK) can output 24kHz (480x384) that looks stunning for high res games. For use in an EGRET II, you'll need to change a jumper wire on the chassis board though which is kind of inconvenient, especially if you plan on using PCB's or other 15kHz sources as well in the cabinet. Also I feel that the video signal of the UVC has more "punch" than the Emotia, but don't take my word for it as I'm not sure I had my Emotia setup correctly.
Sparda wrote:@Emphatic: Many thanks for your custom move strips. I printed Ketsui, Guwange & ESP Rade (cost me 12€...but quality is awesome)...looks great on my EII ;)
Glad you like 'em! I'll try to do more of them some time.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Just to clear up any confusion, DDSP stands for "Disable Digital Signal Processing" so when you turn this switch ON you are turning the additional processing OFF.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

I did some soldering today..and it seems Viletims scart2jamma isnt compatible with the Extron 580 (sync seems to be messed up..but only with my PAL 360..with my NTSC JP PS2, its everything its ok o_O), because today the picture was okay.

So i was able to see beautiful scanlines with my 360 , thanks to my Emotia, but like emphatic says, the picture isnt "punchy" enough, i was forced to set contrast and brightness on my cab (Egret2) and i was also facing some kind of ghosting/washed pictures. I think the wiring isnt correct or maybe some grounds (red ground, blue ground, green ground) need to be wired ? We.really needs Fudohs help ^^
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Over the past years I have had little experience with feedings CRTs. You should ground all the wires of course. There's a termination switch on the Emotia which you can try if the signal's lacking "punch". Also don't forget that you might have gain controls on the Extron interface (unity/50%/100%) which boosts the signal level.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I get no ghosting with my Emotia on a CRT.