PS2 -> 360: XConverter360

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Udderdude

Re: PS2 -> 360: XConverter360

Post by Udderdude »

elvis wrote:
antron wrote:the game has no idea when you actually pressed the buttons.
I think it was Nuki who did a bunch of tests using a 60FPS camera, a LED connected to a button, and a series of games (Capcom Classics Collection 2 compared to the Arcade and Dreamcast versions of SSF2:T).
The same Nuki who plays Chun in 3rd strike?

That's pretty hardcore :P
antron

Post by antron »

emphatic wrote: That's awesome. Cheaper, and no need at all for wired 360 controllers, right?
I doubt that USB input is just a pass-through.
elvis wrote:
antron wrote:the game has no idea when you actually pressed the buttons.
I think it was Nuki who did a bunch of tests using a 60FPS camera, a LED connected to a button, and a series of games (Capcom Classics Collection 2 compared to the Arcade and Dreamcast versions of SSF2:T).

They were damned good tests. He went frame by frame and literally counted the lag between diode lighting up and something happening on screen.
now that's a test.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

emphatic wrote:
drunkninja24 wrote:
emphatic wrote:I just found this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-to-Xbox-360-Con ... 4a9d60cd8f

I wonder how good it is...
I have two of those connected to the 360 in my cab (via padhacked PS1 controllers). They work great with no lag (testing on SRK confirmed this).
That's awesome. Cheaper, and no need at all for wired 360 controllers, right?
You still need a wired 360 controller unfortunately. I used a spare MS wired controller I had and a Guitar Hero II wired guitar on mine. Tried my Rock Band 1 wired guitar, but it didn't work with it.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

I dunno what it is exactly but using a Mad Katz wired controller hooked up to the thing, I have to reconnect the XConvertor to the 360's USB port repeatedly to get it to register correctly. When it fails, the mad katz controller flickers once green on it's guide button for half a second. Because of this, it feels reminiscent of disc swapping, so if you hate kneeling for what can be a minute at a time to get the thing to work, maybe an official pad or some other one would work better with it. Because I've heard other people don't have these same issues. I don't know. I have a Jasper 360 elite if that matters at all.

Just a heads up.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
elvis

Post by elvis »

Udderdude wrote:The same Nuki who plays Chun in 3rd strike?

That's pretty hardcore :P
My mistake: it was NKI, not Nuki.

There were some disagreements between some of the oldschool ST players and Dave Sirlin (from Backbone Entertainment, who worked on Capcom Classics Collection 2 as well as ST:HDR) about whether or not ST in CCC2 was "arcade perfect" or not.

They compared the Arcade CPS2 board, the Dreamcast version, and CCC2 on PS2.

Original SRK thread here:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=144797

Results are here:
http://nki.combovideos.com/

Scroll down to "Testing CCC2 For Input Lag". What's kind of funny is that it used to be on YouTube, but was removed for "usage violation" terms. GIven that there are literally tens of thousands of captures of the same games on YouTube, it all sounds like sour grapes to me by the CCC2 team who didn't like the proof that their port was inferior. :)

I've wanted to reproduce this method myself for a number of emulation tests, but have had neither the time nor the camera. I only have a PAL interlaced camera, so I need to upgrade to a proper HD 60FPS model before I can get started.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

So I recently got my 360 online and I updated the system... only to my dismay: the XConvertor360 just does not function correctly AT ALL anymore with the Mad Katz controller bypass. When it registers (not,) ALL the LEDs flash simultanneously on the convertor and the Guide button also flashes. And it doesn't work from there.

I'm pissed. I wasted $20 on this Mad Katz shit... and $30 for the convertor. Half of what I could've spent on a EX-SE... and now I'll have to buy a different bypass ... GRRR.
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I have my 360 always online and my XConverter360 works fine (though sometimes I need to fiddle with it when I boot up the system), so I guess the problem could be with the Mad Katz controller, especially since you mentioned having issues with it before. I'm actually using the SF IV Fightpad by Mad Katz as the wired controller...are you using a different one?

Maybe it just works best with an official wired controller...can you try it with one of those?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It is weird, as my hacked MadKatz has actually started working correctly in DOJ-BLEX menus now. 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

It's the generic Mad Katz 360 controller... nothin' special about this one. I don't really hang out with anyone who could lend me their 360 controller to try out... but it's probably the issue, I'm thinkin'.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I've had a similar issue with converters not recognizing 3rd party 360 controllers. I used a NEC brand wired 360 controller (I originally picked these up for wiring projects since they have big contacts, a common ground, and are cheap). It sometimes takes several tries for the XBOX360 to recognize the controller when used with a converter. Just need to power cycle the XBOX360 and reseat the USB connection until it finally works.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

I reluctantly threw down the money to get an official xbox 360 wired controller, and the convertor worked right off of boot. If I have any further issues, I'll report. Damn Mad Katz got me... Phew, anyway, I can get back to the Futari madness, now.

So yeah, don't be foolish like me and be safe with the an official microsoft 360 wired pad.
evil_ash_xero

? about XCoverter 360

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have one of these and have been using it with my Sony PS2 controller. Thing is, I don't like the pad, and I can't get this thing to work with my Logitech pads. Are there any good 3rd party pads that are compatible with the XConverter?
Ghegs

Re: ? about XCoverter 360

Post by Ghegs »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I have one of these and have been using it with my Sony PS2 controller. Thing is, I don't like the pad, and I can't get this thing to work with my Logitech pads. Are there any good 3rd party pads that are compatible with the XConverter?
The Hori Anashin pads work nicely. Saturn-style pads too, but finding those is a whole 'nother matter.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, could anyone point me in the direction to get either of these pads? New, of course.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

You could always try a Saturn pad. :)

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=220530
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

SGGG2 wrote:You could always try a Saturn pad. :)

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=220530

I may give that a shot. Anyone have any success with using this with a Xconverter?
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

emphatic wrote:I just found this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-to-Xbox-360-Con ... 4a9d60cd8f

so, can i use this tool to play with my old Namco Stick mushihime or espgaluda 2 on my xbox360 ??
Check out my Shooter Videos
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Defcon 5 wrote:

so, can i use this tool to play with my old Namco Stick mushihime or espgaluda 2 on my xbox360 ??
Yes, but you'll need to have a wired 360 pad plugged into the converter as well, at least while your 360 is checking what type of hardware it is (bootup).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

Hi. I use this now, and it works perfectly fine, without the need of a wired Xbox360 Controller

Controller Converter Pro
Check out my Shooter Videos
antron

Post by antron »

Defcon 5 wrote:Hi. I use this now, and it works perfectly fine, without the need of a wired Xbox360 Controller

Controller Converter Pro
So this one does PS3, and it only has one USB input, so it must be able to work without a 360 controller. Has the security been broken?

Seems PS2 still needs it though?
ebay
You will need a wired Xbox 360 controller in order to properly map the controls from a PS2 controller to the Xbox 360 console. This plugs into the USB connector at the same time as the PS2 controller is plugged in.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

the kids at SRK say that the one defcon showed does NOT need a 360 controller for ps2.

this is good.
=/
antron

Post by antron »

I've got one in the mail
antron

Post by antron »

this one indeed does NOT require a wired 360 controller, for PS2 or 3. home functions as the xbox(guide) button. I don't have a wired PS2 controller to test with but my PS2/PS3 stick's home button functions even when plugged in as PS2. so, some PS2 button is mapped as guide. maybe the analog button? EDIT: Yes

it did NOT work with my PS3 compatible Saturn reproduction controller.
it DID work with my Saturn to PS1(exclusive) converter. go figure...
it would NOT work with a wireless PS2 controller, the dongle didn't seem to get power (needed rumble power?)

so it seems this is a PS1 2 and 3 to XBOX360 converter, that requires no additional controllers. but is this a controller licensing hack? the packaging caries no official seals. could I lose this with a firmware update? quite possibly. in event, could it fall back on piggybacking? quite possibly (for PS1/2).
Last edited by antron on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

good to see that it works for you. sort of wish I bought one instead of a madcatz pad to hack.
=/
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Does this thing have a USB in? Anyone tested it with a Saturn USB controller?
If that works, i need this thing now.
em0ti0n

Post by em0ti0n »

got this one and works fine with my Xbox360, tested ps2 wired dualshock so far, I have to test HRAP2:SA soon
'Guide' button is mapped to the START button
antron

Post by antron »

Jockel wrote:Does this thing have a USB in? Anyone tested it with a Saturn USB controller?
If that works, i need this thing now.
I covered this in my last post: USB in yes (for PS3 controllers) but it doesn't work with Saturn style ones.
em0ti0n wrote:got this one and works fine with my Xbox360, tested ps2 wired dualshock so far, I have to test HRAP2:SA soon
'Guide' button is mapped to the START button
then what is mapped to 360 start? how do you start a game?
em0ti0n

Post by em0ti0n »

antron wrote:then what is mapped to 360 start? how do you start a game?
well, with dualshock just hold start button for a moment, 'guide menu' shall appear

tested with HRAP2:SA and holding start button won't show 'guide menu', weird :roll:
antron

Post by antron »

em0ti0n wrote:
antron wrote:then what is mapped to 360 start? how do you start a game?
well, with dualshock just hold start button for a moment, 'guide menu' shall appear

tested with HRAP2:SA and holding start button won't show 'guide menu', weird :roll:
and if you just tap start it functions as start? does analog do anything?
em0ti0n

Post by em0ti0n »

antron wrote:and if you just tap start it functions as start? does analog do anything?
if start is just pressed it works as usuall start

i was testing DS2 with XConverter360 on JTAGed Xbox360 on few arcades only, it worked without problems + access to the 'guide menu' via long-pressed start button worked as well, I don't remember about the right analog, but the left analog stick worked as you would expect ;)

well, I do not have DS2 with me right now, can't do further testing at the moment, sorry :(

have non-JTAG Xbox360 at home today + HRAP2:SA and it works as posted earlier, there is no lag involved as far as I can feel but long-pressed start button won't show the 'guide menu', it works as an ordinary start button

EDIT: I was wrong with my explanation how to invoke the 'Guide Menu'. Now, you can access the 'Guide menu' by pressing the 'Analog button' on Dual Shock.

Sorry :wink: