Now I understand the greatness of Turrican!!....

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

it290 wrote:I actually just all my computers into a different room
Wow!!!

Agreed that the music is very good. Hulsbeck (is that the right guy?) made some amazing music. I know (well, knew, haven't seen him around in a while) a fellow from Germany who bought the PC-Engine version of Jim Power just for the music. It's pretty nice!
it290

Post by it290 »

Er, should be 'moved all my computers', heh.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Genesis Turrican is too fast (sometimes if the enemy catches you off guard, you're dead INSTANTLY- the life drain is loads quicker), and the grenades/powerlines are impossible to get out in a pinch thanks to the lame weapon picker system. Then Chris Huelsbeck's amazing BGM gets carnaged to hell. The Turbo-Grafx one is another busted port. How do you fit a 16-bit Turrican into a 2 Meg card? You don't. Take all of the above issues, but drop some of the levels and music tracks, and throw in a hit on the graphics quality. I'll stick to the Amiga version for the first game.

ST1 isn't all Factor 5 wanted it to be. The game was originally made for a 6-Megabit cart, but they were told to get the game down to a 4-Meg cart. Originally, Turrican's beam would have been used to freeze and melt enemies. One full stage from the original build had to be dropped. ST1 did feel like it was missing something, but it's still good.

Turrican 3 (Amiga) was released first, even though the Genesis original was already done. It took F5 a while to get Mega Turrican a publisher. IIRC, this one adds wheel-jumps to the series.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

gameoverDude wrote:ST1 isn't all Factor 5 wanted it to be. The game was originally made for a 6-Megabit cart, but they were told to get the game down to a 4-Meg cart. Originally, Turrican's beam would have been used to freeze and melt enemies.
Wow, that explains a lot. That was a pretty damn crappy compromise to be forced into. :(
Marc

Post by Marc »

gameoverDude wrote:Genesis Turrican is too fast (sometimes if the enemy catches you off guard, you're dead INSTANTLY- the life drain is loads quicker), and the grenades/powerlines are impossible to get out in a pinch thanks to the lame weapon picker system. Then Chris Huelsbeck's amazing BGM gets carnaged to hell. The Turbo-Grafx one is another busted port. How do you fit a 16-bit Turrican into a 2 Meg card? You don't. Take all of the above issues, but drop some of the levels and music tracks, and throw in a hit on the graphics quality. I'll stick to the Amiga version for the first game.

ST1 isn't all Factor 5 wanted it to be. The game was originally made for a 6-Megabit cart, but they were told to get the game down to a 4-Meg cart. Originally, Turrican's beam would have been used to freeze and melt enemies. One full stage from the original build had to be dropped. ST1 did feel like it was missing something, but it's still good.

Turrican 3 (Amiga) was released first, even though the Genesis original was already done. It took F5 a while to get Mega Turrican a publisher. IIRC, this one adds wheel-jumps to the series.
Although if your introduction to Turrican was, as was mine, Turrican 1 on C64, non of this stuff would be particularly troublesome.

Amiga T2 will always be the indisputable high point of the series for me. The intro music is still one of my favourite pieces of VG music ever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Shatterhand wrote:dave, check here

http://www.back2roots.org/

all the games on this site are legal to download. It's a good place to start.

Winuae is a pretty good emulator, but there's no reason to spend money on it, as it's completely free.

And frankly, the 1.3 and 3.1 Kickstart roms *deserve* to be pirated at that point. It's pathetic that someone still holds the Amiga copyright and do nothing worthy with it.
They claim to have big name Amiga games on that site, but I don't see any-certainly not any shmups. Am I missing something?? :?:
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

They claim to have big name Amiga games on that site, but I don't see any-certainly not any shmups. Am I missing something?? :?:
A quick glance at the HD-Games section reveals Katakis, Project-X, Galaga '92 and Disposable Hero.
No time to flick through the ADFs

Edit: Ooh, ooh. There's Uridium 2 and Banshee
dave4shmups

Re:

Post by dave4shmups »

it290 wrote:
Interesting. I would just emulate on WinUAE, because you can buy the kickstart roms, but with the games there's always the legality issue. I mean, it's not like there's a site equivalent to Atariage.com for Amiga games, where it's legal to download the games.

As far as WHDLoad goes, I found this: http://www.whdload.de/ But how would I get the files onto an Amiga??

EDIT: This looks cool!: http://www.amigaforever.com/

If I can play the games legally on our PC without actually owning an Amiga, that would be perfectly fine by me.
WHDLoad will install games from floppies/images on to the hard drive. Many adf's won't work for this purpose, because WHDLoad (generally) only supports the original version and not cracked versions, although there are exceptions - it depends on the game. You can use CAPS images just fine though.

As far as installing WHDLoad itself onto an Amiga, there are a number of ways. With classic Amiga hardware, you could use a network card, ZIP disk, or PC-formatted DSDD floppy to copy them onto the Amiga. I have a network card in my Amiga, so if you needed me to send you a copy of the WHDLoad installer I could do so.

As long as you own the original Kickstart ROMs (whether through Amiga Forever or because you actually own an Amiga) and Workbench, it is perfectly legal to do whatever you want with the Amiga software you own, including use of WHDLoad.

And finally, there IS a site for legal amiga downloads: Back to the Roots.

edit - whoops, sorry, didn't notice mention of back2roots above.
I was watching part of an old episode of Computer Chronicles on Youtube that was on the A3000, and I asked where I could get an A3000. Ebay was the answer, but one person told me that an A3000 with as much memory as it can handle could run me as much as a new PC! :shock: Is that true? I love Amiga games, but not THAT much! :shock: I wanted to ask you, because I know that's the model you recommended.
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Re: Now I understand the greatness of Turrican!!....

Post by dave4shmups »

Check out this video on the A3000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PfzLRs7YC0 That's FAST for such an old computer! :shock: What does it mean for all that stuff to be embedded on the motherboard, like the Commodore guy's talking about?
Farewell to hollow words
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Yay Super Turrican for the NES! The graphics aren't all that, although they look warmer than in your average NES game (thanks to the well done dirt tiles I guess), but it plays well. Having up doing fuck all and a half in a NES game feels strange, but at least it's not up for jump (that being said, I didn't mind up for jump in Flashback).
Just one question. If there is only Euro version of the ROM out there and I'm playing it on the NesterJ with the "Speed throttling (limit frame rate to 60 Hz)" box ticked, is it running faster than on the real thing? (I don't mind as long as it plays well; just wanted to know how that emulator deals with PAL-only ROMs.)
Hidden, grand question being:
"Which is the true/correct speed of Turrican games?"
I suppose pretty much all of ancient console games, even developed in PAL countries, used to be designed with NTSC in mind. Not so sure about ancient computer games.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:"Which is the true/correct speed of Turrican games?"
For all computer games, the correct speed is 50Hz, no doubt about it. I'm pretty sure, Super Turrican for the NES is supposed to run at 50Hz, too.

I'm not sure about the SNES and Mega Drive games, but I wouldn't be surprised if 50Hz was the correct speed too.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The original Cave Story appears to be running at 50 fps. I wonder whether the NTSC Wii versions are just sped up, or they found a more elegant solution.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Re: buying an amiga -- make sure the one you want is compatible with your games! Most games were made to be compatible with the Amiga 500, and so they may have problems with later video hardware (AGA) or kickstart versions (IIRC, anything 2.0+ might not work with certain games). You can always try them out on UAE first to see if they might work.
Humans, think about what you have done
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

My Old HD equiped A1200 is the only games machine apart from my PCs that I have left (everything else got pinched game and all :x ) I remember spending countless hours playing Elite 2, Colonisation and Railroad tycoon on it.

One game i highly recommend is Night Shift an old lucas arts platform puzzler where your in charge of an temperamental old machine that makes dolls, An really novel game that gets very hectic in later levels as you get to control more and more sections of the machine.

BTW is Ruff n Tumble any good?
louisg

Post by louisg »

Resurrecting this thread :D I just got an Amiga 2000, courtesy of the very generous papa_november. Some of the softs are PAL, and don't seem to agree with this monitor. There's a V-Hold, but it doesn't seem to go low enough (..?) It's a Commodore 2002 monitor. I also have one that just says Amiga on the front that I could try (circa 1987). Are these monitors supposed to be able to do PAL, or is it just the 1084?
Stormwatch

Re:

Post by Stormwatch »

dave4shmups wrote:So, who really invented the personal computer?
It's a bit chaotic. Some good candidates for "first PC" are the Kenbak-1 (1971), first with discrete logic, and the Micral (1973), first with a microprocessor.

The Datapoint 2200 (1970) is also noteworthy: although it was priced well beyond the reach of home users, it was functionally more similar to a modern computer (display, keyboard, networking - it was actually meant as a terminal, but ended up powerful enough to be used as a standalone unit), and its discrete logic was the embryo of the x86 architecture.

But the commercial spark, the one that first combined "I want that" and "I can afford that", was Altair 8800 (1975).

Now, between the PET and the Apple II? Keep in mind that the PET project only started when Apple tried to sell the Apple II prototype to Commodore (Tramiel thought it was too expensive). So you have to give the edge to Apple here.
Last edited by Stormwatch on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:"Which is the true/correct speed of Turrican games?"
For all computer games, the correct speed is 50Hz, no doubt about it. I'm pretty sure, Super Turrican for the NES is supposed to run at 50Hz, too.

I'm not sure about the SNES and Mega Drive games, but I wouldn't be surprised if 50Hz was the correct speed too.
Old post, but I don't think the MD game was designed for 50hz PAL. In case you have a MD with 50/60Hz switch, give it a try. The music sounds too slow at 50hz. The graphics were obviously created for NTSC displays, too: The game looks crushed in 50hz mode (look at round objects). The same goes for the SNES games, iirc. Makes sense, since the games were distributed internationally.

As you pointed out, the Amiga games were designed for 50hz.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Coincidentally enough, my Genesis copy arrived in the post yesterday. Looking forward to giving it a try this evening. Will try the 50/60Hz flip, and see which seems best.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Turrican 2 is definitely made for PAL. On NTSC, the Ami version exhibits a lot of slowdown that's not there otherwise. It's still very playable though, if you have no alternative. and can tolerate Bloody Wolf levels of slowdown. Mega Turrican and Super Turrican, on the other hand, both play great at 60hz.

Before I got my real Amiga setup, I was thinking that maybe the console Turricans were the best of the bunch. But after I got it all working, now I'm thinking T2 hits the sweet spot: Turrican is never going to be the greatest balls-out linear console-style shooter. But, the original two games hit a good point between linear console platformers and Metroid's exploration-heavy gameplay, and fills a niche there that's somewhat unique.

Oh BTW, I figured out my PAL-NTSC monitor problem.. my other monitor goes all the way down to PAL :) I guess you can open the monitor and set the ranges of the dials too, from reading forums.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Sorry for not adressing your monitor problem, but I really didn't know. My Amiga monitor (not by Commodore) can do both 50 and 60Hz. I haven't used it in ages, though, because RGB scart on a large CRT TV is even better.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Friendly wrote:Sorry for not adressing your monitor problem, but I really didn't know. My Amiga monitor (not by Commodore) can do both 50 and 60Hz. I haven't used it in ages, though, because RGB scart on a large CRT TV is even better.
That setup sounds awesome!! I'm envious :) Yeah, setting my Amiga up in my room brings back memories of playing games on a totally crappy 14" screen, and how much of a big deal it was in like 1995 when we finally got a "flat" 15" monitor instead.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I just want to point out how amazingly lush the Turrican 3 soundtrack is, especially given that the Amiga only has 4 channels of sound. It really shames all those devs who either make you choose between sound fx and music, or use chippy stuff so they don't have to deal with it (not that I don't enjoy the chippy stuff). This thing really does sound like a Megadrive game-- perhaps better.

Overall I think T3 is worse than Mega though. They tuned some stuff up: I appreciate the color background in the underwater level that changes as you descend (the Genesis one looked ugly as hell in this part). But I feel like the game really gets lazier as you go through it. I even found a void bug in the junkyard level. Maybe they had to get it out on a serious deadline! Not a bad game though, especially stacking it up next to other similar Amiga games.