Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Bump for great justice.

I'll have to add for recommendation on Ghegs mention of Bionic Commando on original GB. It seems to take after the arcade game in style moreso than the NES game and it plays really well.

I also remembered about a nice game from way in the past: Dead Heat Scramble. Pretty straightforward and simple overhead race/battle game but it's not too bad and definitely worth a test at the very least.

Still haven't gotten a GBA but there's no rush I suppose. I suspect the delay could help swamp interest to get one of the Oracle Zelda GBC games (Ages specifically).
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

elfhentaifan wrote:pokemon red/green/yellow definetly are on top.
The rest i played wasnt worth mentioning.
I can't hide it. I've been happily playing Pokémon games since I was 9. :o

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is a masterpiece as well. Oracle of Ages/Seasons was a cool concept, but paled in comparison, even when you applied the games' nifty connection styles.
LtC

Post by LtC »

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe:
This shit was awesome, in my opinion the best I played for GBC. There was just so much shit to do in this game. The player vs player time attack was big fun too.

Zelda (Link's Awakening? (The one with the whale in the end)):
I thought this was pretty good. I beat the game a few times.

Zelda Ocarina of time& the seasons thing:
I always though this was the better zelda game, mostly because there were so many secrets you could unlock with both games and replaying the games (Like that huge 2 handed sword). I think I had save where I had everything possible but my sister erased it -_-

Pokemon blue:
I played this a lot and it was awesome back then. I still have my save with all 151 and over 180 hours played.

I had some other games like R type DX but none of those are really worth mentioning.
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

No mention of Kid Icarus yet? That was a tight game.
FRO

Post by FRO »

320x240 - I know, I used to have Kid Icarus for GB (shame I sold it years ago...), and that's a terrific game. People bag on it because it's not a port of the NES game, but I think it's a good little adventure in its own right.

Surprised no one mentioned the SaGa games (i.e. Final Fantasy Legend 1-3). I have the first one, and it's great - played bits of the other 2, and they're reportedly even better than the first. The RC Pro Am GB game isn't half-bad either. It's not a clone of the NES original (FAR too addicting, that game), but it plays well on the small screen.
Ghegs wrote:Some time ago I got a Gamecube for the sole purpose of playing GB/GBC/GBA games through the Game Boy Player and even got the Hori GB pad to go with it. It's a good setup to play these games and can be put together pretty cheaply.
^^ This = WIN. I love my Gameboy Player.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I love the GB Player, but for older GB games, especially those with the SGB color palettes, I prefer the Super Game Boy. Some games have enhanced sound/music, changing color palettes, non-link multiplayer modes using SNES controllers, and/or changing backgrounds. Space Invaders is a real treat on SGB with an actual SNES version on the cart (though that version is also on a SNES cart with a vs. mode). Donkey Kong is a must play on SGB with the palettes and extra sound bytes.
thamasha69

Post by thamasha69 »

I play gb/gbc/gba on my tv as well, with a Wideboy 64 AGB :twisted:

FRO

Post by FRO »

^^ DO WANT!!! Where did you score that?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i still play my GBA SP like everyday...mostly just Mr Driller 2

one GBC title i wanna grab is the bust a move game(cant recall exact title off hand).....i would love me some bubble action on the go(or in the can at work)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Heh, I finally got the chance to buy an SP AGS-101. Should arrive next week. :D I plan to celebrate the newcomer by getting a couple of good famicom mini (SMB2 of course, the other I'm undecided).

So, here's my Gameboy gear:

-1 Gameboy, bundled with Tetris, link cable and headphones. This was the first console I ever bought - Ahh, the sweet memories of playing Zelda LA and Bionic Commando... Also most likely the reason I wear glasses.

-1 Gameboy Pocket, red color, Japanese version. This one was a great improvement, the screen contrast is still awesome. This screen made playable some games that on the original were just a blurry mess. Too bad it sucks battery juice ultra fast, and I am without an ac adapter.

-1 Gameboy Color, purple ("Grape"), Japanese version. I bought this one personally in Akihabara so it holds a special place in my heart. I also consider Color to be the ultimate Rolls Royce of Gameboys. Color was Z80 at its very best, doing everything perfectly.

-1 Gameboy Advance, crystal ("Glacier") version. This version has a significant, strategic advantage over all the other colors: the transparent shell lets you see which cart is inserted! Not having to remove the cart just to see what game is will mean less contacts consumption. :lol: Anyway, I even went the extra mile and bought the official AC adapter for this baby - I was so happy until, well, I experienced the dark, impenetrable-to-light screen. I consider this piece of hardware by far the less satisfactory of the whole Gameboy family.

And now the mandatory group pic:

X - P - B
thamasha69

Post by thamasha69 »

^^ DO WANT!!! Where did you score that?
It is the ultra rare DEBUG unit complete with dummy GBA that connects via that front connector below the cartridge slot. It allows you do use the GBA as a controller and see the game on your tv as well as on the screen of the GBA.

I scored that on ebay uk a couple years ago. The seller insisted on not shipping to the US, but I convinced him otherwise 8) By far the most rare piece of equipment in my collection.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

results of great operation Rushing Eagle To Buy Like-New GB Imports:

Dracula Densetsu II (Belmont's Revenge)
Bionic Commando
Ninja Gaiden GB (at least I think that's the title - this is Ninja Gaiden Shadow)
Dracula Densetsu (Castlevania Adventure...an acquired taste, very playable if you know it)
Contra (aka Op. in C Minor)
Contra Spirits (not recommended; I got it for completeness' sake / future Contra HQ development / cool manual artz!)
Nemesis (my infamous pink box game)

Not gotted, but want to gott:
Nemesis II: The Eve of Destruction
Some Other Stuff (I have Zelda and Metroid II and Kid Icarus and other games already in their US versions, however, so it's not really pressing)
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Bump.
What is this Bomberman game called outside of Japan? Is it playable if you can't read Japanese?

Is there any difference at all (other than the title screen) between Dynablaster and Bomber Boy? I already ordered the former, but I consider getting the latter cheap too, for cool points if anything else. Are different versions compatible with one another, multiplayer-wise?

Also, what's this?

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

Hmmmm....

The top one appears to be a licensed game based on the Bomberman anime "Bomberman B-DaMan Bakugaiden V"...and the bottom one's suppost to be Hamtaro: Ham Ham Club, I think...but those damn hearts on the sub-title are throwing me off, making me think of the sequel- Ham Ham Heartbreak. :|

Where'dda get em from? That's a pretty interesting find.
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

They're on sale up on a certain auction service. Since I intend to buy a chipped PSX from the guy, I can as well get those bundled. He doesn't seem any more informed than anybody around here.
The way out is cut off

chum

Post by chum »

ZAS is a great, beatiful shmup, I highly recommend it.

I also like: Tetris, Gargoyle's Quest, Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land, Trip World, Amazing Penguin, Wario Land 3, and Pokémon Red/Blue.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Pretty sure it's Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtaro:_Ham-Hams_Unite!

I can only read part of it, but even though Wikipedia says it's the "first game" in the series, the romanized text seems to say otherwise.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

drauch wrote:Pretty sure it's Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtaro:_Ham-Hams_Unite!

I can only read part of it, but even though Wikipedia says it's the "first game" in the series, the romanized text seems to say otherwise.
Naruhodo. Buying it seems pretty pointless without proper language skills.
The way out is cut off

tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Card Captor Sakura: Tomoe Shougakkou Daiundoukai - It's Hyper Sports meets CLAMP's anime franchise's craziness here! Note: Text in Japanese
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - Aside from Shantae, this platformer really rocks more than meets the eye.
Operation C - This run-n-gun awesomeness has rocked the GB days since the 90s.
Nemesis - This shmup is monster for the GB! A must-have if you are really into shmups.

Welp, too many to name but these are my top 5 for some of the best GB/GBC games.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
guyot

Post by guyot »

Top three for me would probably be Lufia : The Legend Returns(brilliant battle system), Dragon Warrior Monsters(super time sink) & Zelda : Links Awakening(eagles tower is the best zelda dungeon ever).
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I like the GB Gradiuses more than some of the numbered games - more than most of them really.
Balloon Kid is an awesome game - one of my absolute favourite games on any platform. The Japanese GBC release - Balloon Fight GB - is in colour and has a (pointless, but nice) world map.
All the Zelda games are great. Kind of weird to see them mentioned so little in this thread, and the Oracles only once and in a negative sense.

Some recent, kinda neat discoveries:
Banishing Racer - goofy little platformer
Motocross Maniacs - fun platformer/racer that's a bit like Excitebike on a 2d plane.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Bump.
What is this Bomberman game called outside of Japan? Is it playable if you can't read Japanese?

Also, what's this?
The first game is B-Daman Bakugaiden V: Final Megatune. It's an RPG, so no, not playable without an understanding of the language.

The second game *is* the game that we got translated as Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! The first GBA Hamtaro game didn't get a release outside of Japan. Ham-Hams Unite is a cute little game, but there's absolutely no point in getting hold of the JPN version, given that it got an official translation. And the core concept of the game is about communication, so it's not even something you could muddle through.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

How could I forget Metal Walker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujue7Wl2hog

Fun mixture of Pokemon and billiards.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I have to add:

Ikari no Yousai (Fortified Zone) 1 and 2. The second game stayed in Japan.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Mr. Chins Gourmet Paradise, why the hell I didn't buy it the two times I didt see it. :(

Easy, I had already spent damned well near $200 on games for the collection, including a $50 Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus for my Saturn.
Marc

Post by Marc »

No mention of Monster Max yet? For shame. Brilliant isometric arcade adventure from the guys behind the equally brilliant Head Over Heels on Speccy/C64.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

One of the GB's best:

Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Interestingly enough, considering who that recommendation has just come from, that's one of the two (count 'em!) sealed games that I own. I didn't know it was unopened when I bought it and I've simply not found the time to get around to playing it yet.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Interestingly enough, considering who that recommendation has just come from, that's one of the two (count 'em!) sealed games that I own. I didn't know it was unopened when I bought it and I've simply not found the time to get around to playing it yet.
It's an absolutely brilliant piece of work, one of the best adventure/puzzle games I've played. I would be very grateful if 1: you'll do a quick video when you do open it, and 2: open and play it because it deserves playing, it's awesome. :wink:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Just ordered The Adventures of Star Saver.
Alien 3 is woth getting cheap for the presentation alone. Still not sure if the game is really good (just tried if the cart works), but it's atmospheric for sure.
Also, Mercenary Force. Enough said.
Is Burger Time Deluxe as good as the word "deluxe" suggests? I'd expect something as beefed up as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.
The way out is cut off