D-pad users - what's your favourite controller?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

D:

Neo Geo Pad?
PPA

Post by PPA »

Ed Oscuro wrote:D:

Neo Geo Pad?
yep it was in the KOF 94 Re bout package i bought in 2004
nem

Post by nem »

I'm surprised there so little love for the NeoGeo CD kidney pad. Clicky stick, small travel (compared to a standard joystick), best of both worlds.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Stormwatch wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:Hori Anasin 2 Turbo, by a long shot.
Dualshock-like-placed analog sticks, therefore = EPIC FAIL.
yes it is, if you want to use it for analogue games.

but you know what i have? i have an xbox controller S with an xbox --> ps2 adapter, for 3d games i want to play on my ps2.

different controller for different stuff, duhh
azmun

Post by azmun »

This thread belongs to hardware.

Here's another vote for the Saturn & 6-button Mega Drive (Genesis) pads. They are actually identical. The SNES/SFC pads rock too. These controllers are probably as good as it gets for 2D gaming. The original PSX (non-dual shock) controllers work really well for me but the d-pads take some time to get used to. However, these lack analog functions. That said, I also highly recommend the original Dreamcast pads.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

It's a tie between the Saturn pad, and the 6-button Genesis pad. Both have great and accurate D-pads, the six button layout works great for nearly every game I've ever played using them, and they're rather comfy to hold over long durations of time.
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm surprised there so little love for the NeoGeo CD kidney pad. Clicky stick, small travel (compared to a standard joystick), best of both worlds.
I find clickiness to be a not-so-optimal trait in a pad. Also, they're not all that durable and are comparatively hard to replace.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

I want a wireless Sega Saturn controller that works on the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii!
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
indstr

Post by indstr »

VNAF Ace wrote:I want a wireless Sega Saturn controller that works on the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii!
good, it looks like you have a lot of soldering ahead of you :)
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

The classic Saturn controller for me. The second best is a tie: SNES and DC.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

I have to mention that I got my Saturn Metal Slug record using a Super Pad 8. :lol:

It should be second only to this:
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
indstr

Post by indstr »

JoshF wrote: It should be second only to this:
thievery!!! you hotlinked that from my webspace where i uploaded the image that i had stolen from another site and cropped down to show only the keyboard!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The Sega Saturn pad indeed is the best one ever. As I couldn't afford the PS2 version of it, I got this

http://www.boadica.com.br/layoutdica.asp?codigo=560 (Those are the best pics I could find)

I can't stress how much this Pad ROCKS. The pad is very responsive and confortable, the sticks are awesome, everthing on it its great... and it's a lot cheaper than the original Dualshocks 2, yet they are much less fragile.

Those pads used to be everywhere around here, but I think the company who produced it stop making it, so now they are getting a little rare, and the price went up a little... I've 2 of them, but I should get 2 more just to be sure.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Same damn dualshlock shape... :x Does anyone have a list of major gamepad makers? I want to write them all and say a thing or two about this insane trend.
JoshF wrote:Image
Ooo, a Model M? You have good taste.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well, it's a PS2 pad, so I think it makes sense. What's the problem with the shape... it works, it doesn't? And if you are going to play a game with digital input you just ignore the sticks. Shmupping with this pad is pretty good when I feel too lazy to pull out my arcade stick.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Those do look pretty good. I tried scouring eBay for 'em but didn't find any.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ghegs wrote:Those do look pretty good. I tried scouring eBay for 'em but didn't find any.
You mean the one I posted? If you want one badly, I could buy one here for you, and then send it you, if you can send me the money somehow. I think one of those should be costing around US$ 30 now (Like I said, they used to be cheaper, I bought my 2 controllers for US$ 18 each), it has both a PS2 and USB connection. ). I am not sure if they are produced anywhere outside Brazil.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Stormwatch wrote: Ooo, a Model M? You have good taste.
NO! i must reiterate that the model M is MY good taste that was STOLEN from ME by joshf! :P
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Shatterhand wrote:Well, it's a PS2 pad, so I think it makes sense. What's the problem with the shape... it works, it doesn't?
Works? BARELY! I can think of many ways to design a good controller, and the first assumption for any of them is not being like the PS2's controller.
indstr wrote:NO! i must reiterate that the model M is MY good taste that was STOLEN from ME by joshf! :P
Even thieves can have good taste.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Stormwatch wrote: Works? BARELY! I can think of many ways to design a good controller, and the first assumption for any of them is not being like the PS2's controller.
the comfort of a controller is important, but the quality of the d-pad takes precedence. i haven't been impressed with the comfort of the dual shock either. but the hori anasin, even though similar in design, is waay more ergonomically pleasing, and it has a sweet sweet d-pad.

you can always take the analogue sticks out of a controller if they get in the way. and you can even disconnect the motors (the controller pcb doesn't care)

if you're really picky about ergonomics, you could always try to build your own controller. i've always flirted with this idea since i've done quite a bit of controller modification. there's this special plastic you can get that melts at low temperatures (in boiling water) that you could use to shape the chassis or grips of a controller :) i've actually considered taking a dual shock, cutting off the grips, and then shaping new grips on it with this shapable plastic. might still try it sometime :)
wrdaniel

Post by wrdaniel »

Someone got one of those "Streetfighter Anniversary Pads"? As they are not mentioned in this thread they are not the best?
it290

Post by it290 »

They're okay. I play neo-geo games with one fairly frequently. I find that they're a bit too large in the hands (and I have large hands), and not as responsive as the Saturn or 6-button Genesis controllers.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i have 2 of them as well....i find they work quite well when i wanna use a controller.....but with an HRAP2 i find very little reason to use a controller these days