the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

So I followed Twiddle into some zombie modded CS:Source server

racism and hilarity ensued

I stayed for hours.

It was actually funnier than TF2, and that's remarkable.

On that note, that's something I like about TF2: It's often very funny when you die, and that's a marked improvement from the old days of being owned and hating it
kengou

Post by kengou »

Zombie CS:S got old quickly for me. It just felt too much like CS:S I guess.

Now, Zombie servers in Gmod... THAT'S how you do a Zombie mod. It's like a little taste of Left4Dead.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Damocles wrote:
My friend and I also screwed around in the Halo 3 map "Cold Storage". Damn...I remember rocket matches being extremely great there. ...not so much now with the nerfed launchers.
lol that map is useless, like only 1 or 2 BRs on the dam thing + the spawns in front of teleports are retarded, Team swat on it is a joke. Team slayers with ARs is even worse
Vidi Vici Veni
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Diabollokus knows his Halo 3... every time I log on to Live, he's usually on it. :)

First FPS that sucked me in was Return to CW. Single player even.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Diabollokus wrote:Damocles wrote:
My friend and I also screwed around in the Halo 3 map "Cold Storage". Damn...I remember rocket matches being extremely great there. ...not so much now with the nerfed launchers.
lol that map is useless, like only 1 or 2 BRs on the dam thing + the spawns in front of teleports are retarded, Team swat on it is a joke. Team slayers with ARs is even worse
Ya ya...you and your...impetuous...battle rifle.

The last time I played a "normal" game on that map was back in 2004, I believe. Against dorm RA's.
nekich

Post by nekich »

No_not_like_Quake wrote: First FPS that sucked me in was Return to CW. Single player even.
If Raven doesn't screw up the new Wolfenstein, it'll be epic.
Timeshift. Crossbow sucks, it's hard to hit anything with it.
That's what TimeStop is for.
Super X Gamma

Post by Super X Gamma »

Oh and I did finish up Portal Gold Challenges on XBox - so it is possible... Just a bit taxing
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I like Doom95 and Duke3d. Great games, I even made a Duke Nukem 64 speedrun in the past.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

No_not_like_Quake wrote:
Diabollokus knows his Halo 3... every time I log on to Live, he's usually on it.
Its funny because its true :D

Damocles you should go back to halo 3, If I recall your a level 32 with low exp, which means you were quite good at the game for the time you spent online.
Vidi Vici Veni
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Been playing CoD4 quite a lot on my 360, mostly FFA. Set teams on hardcore search and destroy is my favorite team type mode.

I'm pretty good at halo 3 too, invite me if you want to play either.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Zaarock what is your xbox live gamertag?

send a friend request to DIABOLLOKUS

I'll test your Battle Rifle for you :D
Last edited by Diabollokus on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vidi Vici Veni
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The only FPS games I played a lot online were the Quake ones. I never got very good at 1, but I was pretty good on Quake 2 and brutally good at Quake 3. I still love Quake 3, I play it from time to time, though with the current lack of free time , I haven't played it for ages.

I also played some CoD 1 and 2. Played some Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior with friends, using a program that would convert IPX packets into TCP-IP packets, or something like that.

I also play a lot of Timesplitters Future Perfect on PS2 with friends. You can link up to 8 PS2s, and play with 16 players, or 32 players if all PS2s have multitaps. If you have enough friends and TVs, that's it :) .
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Public service announcement: If you see Terrorist Takedown 2 in the bargain bin, stay away. Despite pretty graphics and excellent AI, it's NOT one of those "hidden gems".

The problem is, this game has some of worst controls to ever appear in a FPS. Your character takes forever to start moving, but stops instantly and jerks back a bit. So quick tap actually moves you in OPPOSITE direction. This, together with collision detection straight out of Superman64 (seriously, when was the last time you got stuck on a crate?) makes even simple tasks like going up stairs frustrating. Oh, and you have melee attack that doesn't do any damage at all! WTF?
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

worstplayer wrote:Public service announcement: If you see Terrorist Takedown 2 in the bargain bin, stay away. Despite pretty graphics and excellent AI, it's NOT one of those "hidden gems".

The problem is, this game has some of worst controls to ever appear in a FPS. Your character takes forever to start moving, but stops instantly and jerks back a bit. So quick tap actually moves you in OPPOSITE direction. This, together with collision detection straight out of Superman64 (seriously, when was the last time you got stuck on a crate?) makes even simple tasks like going up stairs frustrating. Oh, and you have melee attack that doesn't do any damage at all! WTF?
Sounds like you were seduced by that bullshit feature on Gamesradar. Anyone looking for a real hidden gem of an FPS should try SWAT 4. It's a game that revolves around not killing the guys who are firing automatic weapons at you.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Daigohji wrote:Sounds like you were seduced by that bullshit feature on Gamesradar. Anyone looking for a real hidden gem of an FPS should try SWAT 4. It's a game that revolves around not killing the guys who are firing automatic weapons at you.
Yes, it's GR's fault. I always assumed this game is complete trash but after GR article I decided to try it. "Dumb but entertaining" is what FPS should be. TT2 is just dumb.
And yeah, I should try Swat 4, I played 3 and liked it.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Vokatse wrote:I'd like to argue that I'm probably the best one-legged man in the autoaim contest that is Helo 3
OH MY GOD I DIED BECAUSE MY VEHICLE AIMED TOWARDS ENEMY

Anyhow, I played sum L4D on 360, it was horrible laggy imprecise shit. If 360 players had to compete with PC users...well, now I know why we don't have true crossplatform multiplayer for that game.

Halo 3 is better, but I really hate aiming with the thumbsticks. I did manage to kill some fools when I last played, but egh. I guess they'll be porting the game to Windows 7 in 2010 anyway.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

EDIT: A BK got owned in matchmaking.
Last edited by Diabollokus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vidi Vici Veni
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

I think Halo 3 is the best competitive FPS on the 360, but it's also the most frustrating. The rank system is horribly harsh with people of moderate skill like myself. I worked my way up to level 29 in team slayer and felt a promotion within reach, only to plunge back to 23 due to quitters on my team and highly skilled people with new accounts on the other.

So now I play social, and Halo 3 is fun and relaxed again.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

@ Grosvenus, If you want to get to the 30 or 35 send me a friend request. I play on different accounts and 1 months all the time, I will quite happily carry you to 30.

I'll be playing again hopefully from Tuesday nite, been offline for a week or 2 due to workload.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Diabollokus wrote:Somebody got owned in matchmaking.
Nope

I don't even know what that is. All I know is autoaim lulz
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Diabollokus wrote:Somebody got owned in matchmaking.
Nope

I don't even know what that is. All I know is autoaim lulz
FPS whining is the lulz
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

What is this autoaim of which you speak?

Seriously, I have never noticed autoaiming in Halo 3. God knows I could use it, though.
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

Diabollokus wrote:@ Grosvenus, If you want to get to the 30 or 35 send me a friend request. I play on different accounts and 1 months all the time, I will quite happily carry you to 30.

I'll be playing again hopefully from Tuesday nite, been offline for a week or 2 due to workload.
That would be pretty sweet. But...

I was actually made a protege of a german clan who thought I deserved a higher rank. So they played with me and we won a lot, but I never finished first and never got MVP and never got a large number of medals. Thus, I hardly ever ranked up after our matches. So I concluded that it would be better to play as a free agent.

Maybe me and the germans did it wrong. How would a good player help a worse player to rank up?
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

Dubbelpost
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

grovsnus wrote:What is this autoaim of which you speak?

Seriously, I have never noticed autoaiming in Halo 3. God knows I could use it, though.
It's called "magnetism" in Halo 3 and apparently people have died from having their bike steer towards an opponent :lol: Face painting was Halo 2's autoaim. It was much more apparent in the previous games though: moving pictures
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Okay,

Firstly matchmaking stats and medals do not influence how you rank up in halo 3, it is defined by a mathematical equation revolving around you and your opponents win ratio, skill level, exp and number of games played in the specific playlist.

There are 2 options.

1. Come play with me, I'll either play on a fresh account so the system thinks your carrying me (Prefered option) or renew a 40-50 account and play higher leveled players with you so you rank up faster (harder for me though, less fun for you)

2. Send me your details and I'll recover the account myself.

Personally I'd recommend you play with me, I've a 50 in team slayer and you'll pick up alot of things from playing with me.

Regarding Auto-aim

He's refering to aim assist, try shooting your own team or a guy with active camo in a custom game, they're harder to hit than opposing players. Because halo 3 uses a controller and no keyboard this feature is very important.
Vidi Vici Veni
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'd like to play with you and maybe learn a thing or two from a general. I'll add you tonight.

Halo 3 was actually the first game I ever played with dual thumbsticks, so I had a pretty rough start with plenty of ownage inflicted upon me. :D
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Cool, I should be online tonight if not then all day tomorrow :D , been offline for awhile so I'll be doing customs until I'm warmed up. Only my main account is active so I'll have to buy a few 1 month codes off ebay before I help in ranked.

Add: DIABOLLOKUS
Vidi Vici Veni
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Diabollokus wrote:Because halo 3 uses a controller and no keyboard this feature is very important.
Naturally, but that's why I can only take H3 in small doses. It's more about planning movements than the sort of twitch gameplay I've gotten accustomed to since switching to PC. I could learn to deal with control via acceleration (sticks) rather than absolute distance (mouse) but I could also spend that time with games I already enjoy and which don't require computer assists.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Diabollokus wrote:Because halo 3 uses a controller and no keyboard this feature is very important.
Naturally, but that's why I can only take H3 in small doses. It's more about planning movements than the sort of twitch gameplay I've gotten accustomed to since switching to PC. I could learn to deal with control via acceleration (sticks) rather than absolute distance (mouse) but I could also spend that time with games I already enjoy and which don't require computer assists.
Well a lot of PC games use "computer assists" as well. Notably Counter strike which introduced "chance to hit" with the illusion of twitch game play.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!