NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
moozooh

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by moozooh »

The OP doesn't elaborate upon this, but can I use non-JP Live points to purchase worldwide XBLA content (i.e., Guwange) and be able to play it on the same console? Will I need to create a separate non-JP account for it in this case? It seems just right to get a 1600 digital point card for two 800-point games…
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
bcass

Post by bcass »

Points cards are region-specific, so you'll need to setup an account for whatever region points you intend to buy. And yes, you'll be able to play on the same console that your JP account is setup on.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Ah, in this case, do I only need the non-JP account to purchase the content, and there will be no restrictions otherwise on using it with a JP account?
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
bcass

Post by bcass »

As far as XBLA games are concerned, there will be no restrictions unless you decide to transfer your licenses to another console.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Thank you very much! JP points are the most expensive, and there's no Japanese-exclusive material I'm interested in so far, so that will definitely save me some money for future purchases. :)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

New gamerpics out for Daifukkatsu BL. 160 points for the lot.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5] is mine, hands off.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Elixir wrote:[5] is mine, hands off.
LOL.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I can't help but notice the "1" digit in emphatic's avatar is backwards from the one in the gamerpic... and the 0 is missing the embellishment entirely.

Image Image
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I think that's because he made it himself. :D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yes, it's home made. I just used the free Westminster font (looks kinda like what's used in many arcade games). I wonder if the font differs in Ketsui (original chips) as well.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

I recently got a Jbox 360 and I got some japanese points sent to me digitally through P-A (which took like a week...) and when I went to redeem the code it asked me for the following:

25 digit code
email addy
password
first and last name associated with the xbox live account
billing information
phone number

I had to scrap to remember all that stuff (my fault for not writing the gibberish down I suppose) and I didn't actually add my name during the initial setup so what I ended up doing was logging into xbox live on the website and clicking the change password link (all in Japanese so I used the url preview on the bottom left). This took me to the Japanese hotmail site where I could change the email addy to something something at hotmail . co . jp and edit the details there.

Once I had all the info down it let me in as I used the zip provided in the first post which filled in everything but the phone number so I used an old disconnected lan line number I had.

I don't know if you have to add this information every time you redeem points with a code since it said it saved my billing information afterwards but if it is, the first time process of redeeming points through this method might be useful to add to the first post.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

whoozwah wrote:I recently got a Jbox 360 and I got some japanese points sent to me digitally through P-A (which took like a week...) and when I went to redeem the code it asked me for the following:
It's a 1 time thing if you're going to use points and do purchases.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

right on. Thanks for the tip off. I wrote it all down earlier when I finally got my code working though just to be sure :)
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

So you live in the United States, or anywhere thats not Japan, and you want Japanese Points.

Well, you have two options:

1. You can import points cards and suffer for many weeks
2. You can get a Paypal credit card, and not deal with any bullshit.

I'm going with Number 2.

Using the website, I was able to register my PayPal MasterCard to my Japanese account by filling in the boxes as closely as you can (Hint: Don't enter your zip code, but manually enter your County in the correct box, stuff like that) and guess what, because PayPal doesn't check as much stuff as other banks do, you will be approved. I successfully bought 500 yen worth of points at 12:40AM Today, and all I had to do was click "Add points"

I see this as a smart solution to this stupid problem, because it lets us add points without dealing with digital download codes (which I've heard that Play Asia is pretty bad about getting them to you fast from some people. I haven't tried it, YMMV) or waiting for points cards to come in the mail through some import service.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

dieKatze88 wrote:So you live in the United States, or anywhere thats not Japan, and you want Japanese Points.

I'm going with Number 2.

Using the website, I was able to register my PayPal MasterCard to my Japanese account by filling in the boxes as closely as you can (Hint: Don't enter your zip code, but manually enter your County in the correct box, stuff like that) and guess what, because PayPal doesn't check as much stuff as other banks do, you will be approved. I successfully bought 500 yen worth of points at 12:40AM Today, and all I had to do was click "Add points"

I see this as a smart solution to this stupid problem, because it lets us add points without dealing with digital download codes (which I've heard that Play Asia is pretty bad about getting them to you fast from some people. I haven't tried it, YMMV) or waiting for points cards to come in the mail through some import service.
If you make a tutorial, I'll add it to the OP.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Elixir wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:So you live in the United States, or anywhere thats not Japan, and you want Japanese Points.

I'm going with Number 2.

If you make a tutorial, I'll add it to the OP.
I'll do that sometime after I wake up later today. It's pretty straightforward however.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Would definitely be interested in finding out exactly what the dollar to point ratio is, all fees considered.

Is it an actual line of credit, or does it just draw from your PayPal balance?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

This sounds really sweet, nice find!
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

StarCreator wrote:Would definitely be interested in finding out exactly what the dollar to point ratio is, all fees considered.

Is it an actual line of credit, or does it just draw from your PayPal balance?
Yes and no. You can turn the Credit part on and off. I use it in that state, I don't want the credit function, so it just is a MasterCard debit card that draws from my paypal. You can also set it to draw from your bank account automatically if you want.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Step 1. Go to Xbox.com, sign in to your Japanese account, and click "My Xbox"

Step 2. Scroll down and click go to account.

Step 3. Click Manage Payment Options (Thats what this highlighted link is when this website is in English)

Step 4. Click Add Payment Option. If you don't already have one (Read: I clearly do) you will have a link in the area where the payment options are, that link also takes you to the Add Payment Option screen.

Step 5. Enter your Paypal Credit Card info as shown, then click the green link at the bottom.

NOTE That my LAST NAME IS SHOWN FIRST. I have a feeling this is part of the success story. Make sure you do that.

Step 6. Go add Microsoft Points from your console and download your DLC!

Edit/Shameless Plug:
If you find this incredibly helpful, help me buy the large amount of DLC you KNOW is coming for Otomedius X. Paypal to dieKatze88@gmail.com
bcass

Post by bcass »

dieKatze88 wrote:You can turn the Credit part on and off. I use it in that state, I don't want the credit function, so it just is a MasterCard debit card that draws from my paypal. You can also set it to draw from your bank account automatically if you want.
What happens if there's no credit in your paypal a/c when you try to use the card? When I add credit to my paypal a/c from my bank a/c it takes up to 5 working days.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:You can turn the Credit part on and off. I use it in that state, I don't want the credit function, so it just is a MasterCard debit card that draws from my paypal. You can also set it to draw from your bank account automatically if you want.
What happens if there's no credit in your paypal a/c when you try to use the card? When I add credit to my paypal a/c from my bank a/c it takes up to 5 working days.
Good question, I've never done that and I have direct transfers enabled
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Care to explain how to setup the PayPal part as well? I logged into PayPal, but I can't find where to set it up. Can you also fill it out with fake stuff as a template that's easier to follow, like I've done below? I understand you don't want to show your private details, but putting red on top of anything isn't helpful. :D

CARD TYPE: Mastercard
CREDIT CARD NUMBER: *** *** *** *** (how to enter it)
EXPIRATION DATE: YEAR/MONTH
CVV2: ***
NAME: Simpson, Homer J
STATE: I only see some Kanji that I don't understand, you can just choose any of those in the list?
COUNTY (or should it be COUNTRY?):
STREET ADDRESS: Does this have to be in Kanji as well?

Thanks.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

emphatic wrote:Care to explain how to setup the PayPal part as well? I logged into PayPal, but I can't find where to set it up. Can you also fill it out with fake stuff as a template that's easier to follow, like I've done below? I understand you don't want to show your private details, but putting red on top of anything isn't helpful. :D

CARD TYPE: Mastercard
CREDIT CARD NUMBER: *** *** *** *** (how to enter it)
EXPIRATION DATE: YEAR/MONTH
CVV2: ***
NAME: Simpson, Homer J
STATE: I only see some Kanji that I don't understand, you can just choose any of those in the list?
COUNTY (or should it be COUNTRY?):
STREET ADDRESS: Does this have to be in Kanji as well?

Thanks.
Paypal requires a real Address from you. You have to do a few steps in paypal first, like confirm your address. On the homepage (Paypal.com) down under "All Personal Products & Services" click "Paypal Credit". Follow the steps and you're done.

So, to follow your bit.

It would be:
Credit Card Type: MasterCard
Credit Card Number: 5730 5730 5730 5730
CVV2 Code: 573
Name: Simpson Homer J.
State: Whatever You Want
County: Springfield County
(Soruce: Wikipedia "Springfield (The Simpsons)")
Street Address: 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield (State2LetterCodeHere)
Exactly as you see there. You do NOT have to enter any of YOUR details in Kanji

I'll try to mock that image up later tonight.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

dieKatze88 wrote:Paypal requires a real Address from you. You have to do a few steps in paypal first, like confirm your address. On the homepage (Paypal.com) down under "All Personal Products & Services" click "Paypal Credit". Follow the steps and you're done.
I don't see any of this, although I do see "Products & Services". Is this an American-only thing?

Edit: I'm being told via PM that this is only applicable to people in the US and UK.

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Elixir wrote:Edit: I'm being told via PM that this is only applicable to people in the US and UK.
Aaah, shucks. Thanks anyway, dieKatze88.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

emphatic wrote:
Elixir wrote:Edit: I'm being told via PM that this is only applicable to people in the US and UK.
Aaah, shucks. Thanks anyway, dieKatze88.
Well, better some be able to access this than none at all.

Edit:
Also, Otomedius X has a date now, 3/24/11
bcass

Post by bcass »

I might give it a try as I'm in the UK. Still a bit concerned about what happens if you try to make a purchase when there's no funds in your paypal a/c though. If you have to wait 5 days for funds to transfer into your paypal a/c from your bank (as per ordinary paypal) then it's not quicker than just buying points off play-asia, although I suspect it might be a bit cheaper. I doubt it's by much though, as paypal's exchange rates are very unfavourable.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

So... Now we get to talk about another anomaly I have encountered.

I totally just authorized a purchase for Otomedius Gorgeous (GOD) and it worked.

I live in New Jersey. I have an IP from New Jersey. The only thing I'm doing that's not explicitly from New Jersey is a IPv6 tunnel to Hurricane Electric, but looking at my router, exactly 0 bytes per second is going through that... so that's not it.
bcass

Post by bcass »

You bought it, downloaded it, and played it?

If so, then maybe the IP check only occurs when you purchase using points?
Last edited by bcass on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:You bought it, downloaded it, and played it?

If so, then maybe the IP check only occurs when you purchase using points?
Still downloading.

If the IP check occurred when I purchased points it totally failed.