Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Dale

Post by Dale »

I going away to school for quite awhile. I won't be available again till April more then likely.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Dale wrote:I going away to school for quite awhile. I won't be available again till April more then likely.
are you off to that school in Kalamazoo?

either way, wishing you the best while at school and we'll see you soon!

(I need to get myself back into school as well)
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Good luck with School Dale.

Yeah, we should get together during the week or something.

EDIT - Scratch that, looks like I am working Tuesday.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks for the support guys. Yeah it's in a small town right outside of kalamazoo(Plainwell). I plan on coming back about every 2 weeks for 2 days(the weekend). 1st semester ends in August.

Edit: I'm trying to become a nursing assistant.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

zero.otaku wrote:
@uber: Did that come out for a console already? If so, next time you come over you have to bring it 'cause I keep hearing it's good from people that actually know how to play fighters so I'd like to check it out.
It came out for the Wii
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

zero.otaku wrote:@Ayanami: Unfortunately I do not have the Venus Wars, but it is freaking awesome and we should rent it or something.

@uber: Did that come out for a console already? If so, next time you come over you have to bring it 'cause I keep hearing it's good from people that actually know how to play fighters so I'd like to check it out.

As far as '70s anime, it's not really my area of expertise outside some stuff like the original Gundam which is totally badass and amazingly ahead of its time. I'm more into late '80s to late '90s shit but I'm totally open to anything.

So yeah, when the fuck are we gonna get together? I know the weather's been shitty but I really feel like it's time for another dorkfest.
It's pretty good, if you liked the Marvel vs Capcom games it plays a lot like those did. At a competitive level though it does have issues with the ridiculously potent rushdown from the guy from Karas, but beyond him the game is a ton of fun. I have a wii hori and a Playstation to Gamecube converter :P
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Davey

Post by Davey »

1.) Any ideas for the next meet? Given the shittastic weather as of late, maybe after spring thaw? ;)

2.) Chicagoland Winter Carnival '08: It's a bit of a drive, but I'm sort of half tempted to kind of think about maybe going to this. Anybody else?

P.S. I tried to add DJI as my friend on XBLA but he's literally too cool (too many friends). Made me chuckle.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am down for that Winter Carnival thing.

As for the next meet. Nothing huge planed. I need to get off my lazy ass and grab the extra TV and monitor from my old place to get the new crip more shmup meet friendly.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Cool, let me know if any of y'all are going to Chicago for sure. If I can hitch a ride with someone I'd be more than happy to pay for gas and tolls and stuff. I'm not particularly fond of driving.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote:Cool, let me know if any of y'all are going to Chicago for sure. If I can hitch a ride with someone I'd be more than happy to pay for gas and tolls and stuff. I'm not particularly fond of driving.
We will talk about it tonight and we could figure driving arrangements. I would like to leave at early am and arrive around noon.

Davey, you are welcome to ride with us if anything.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Awesome, much appreciated!
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Hey guy's I'm very interested in going to the Chi-town meet up, if anyone has room. Split gas etc.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I got copies of Plutos and Sirius, those unreleased shooters for 7800. They're sweet...no music and no endings (they are prototypes, after all) but completely playable outside of that! And the graphics are gorgeous, especially for a 7800. So I'm definitely in to bring those at a future meet.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

Um, are we supposed to hang out this weekend? I can't remember...

But anyway, I want to go to Chicago. I might be able to drive but it depends on if I can afford to get my oil changed between now and then 'cause I'm already over and stuff. So yeah...but I wanna go and I'll obviously put in for gas if I can't drive.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

zero.otaku wrote:Um, are we supposed to hang out this weekend? I can't remember...

But anyway, I want to go to Chicago. I might be able to drive but it depends on if I can afford to get my oil changed between now and then 'cause I'm already over and stuff. So yeah...but I wanna go and I'll obviously put in for gas if I can't drive.
We can gather this weekend if everyone wants to.

If you'd like, I can change your oil if necessary. I have to do oil changes in my cars soon too. Not to confident we will be able to get the miniature van from my inlaws… so we may have to caravan(no pun) in two cars.

So far for Chicago, it looks like we will have:
Davey
Ayanami
Sonic R
Triggerheart Excelica
mrtie
zero.otaku

so far thats 6 and I imagine each car will seat 4 comfortably. We can legally seat 5 in the Focus but I imagine it won't be the most comfortable for the 3 folks in the back seat for a 4 hour trip…

EDIT:
for zero.otaku, regarding the Chicago event, maybe we should rendezvous at your place in AA since it is a bit closer en route to Chicago?
drboom

Post by drboom »

Just thought I'd pop in here and let you all know I sent out the info for the Chicagoland meet to those who posted in the post. I know Sonic R's got it now, so if you need it, holla at him or me.
Davey

Post by Davey »

@Sonic or whoever knows what's going on:

PM me or call me (I think you have my number) about the meeting time and place.

As usual, I don't plan on bringing anything since I don't have anything that nobody else has.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Also wondering if there is still room for me , and what time we plan on leaving if there is etc....also if anything wants me to bring any pcb's or whatever.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

For Davey and mrtie,

The current plan is to leave the Detroit area early AM, hopefully around 8-9. I would like to arrive in Chicago no later than 1pm. It is usually about 4 hours drive straight through. I like to make a gasoline stop around the Michigan border/Michigan City Indiana, to ensure we have full fuel going through Gary ( :lol: ) and into the city. Its just under three hours from our area to the Michigan border. I believe the mileage is about 250 if I recall correctly.

For mrtie, will you be coming alone or bring a friend?

Right now we have two cars which can seat 8 totol and four spots taken. Ayanami will be driving himself but he will be heading to Milwaukee after the Chicago meet.

For Davey, I have checked and I don't have a phone number with your name (though it seems I still have everyone else)
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Yeah I'll be alone this time 8 or 9 sounds fine....gonne be an early day for me lol. Are we meeting your house or someplace in Ann Arbor? Thanks again.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

mrtie wrote:Yeah I'll be alone this time 8 or 9 sounds fine....gonne be an early day for me lol. Are we meeting your house or someplace in Ann Arbor? Thanks again.
Right now we are planning to meet in Ann Arbor at zero.otaku home. I am going to touch base with him to get full details and the timing right and will PM and post promptly.

I will arrange getting PMs to everyone so we are all on the right time and location to caravan to Chicago. I'll hope to have all sorted out by Tuesday evening. Stay tune!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Once you guys are back from Chicago let me know when you're all gettin' together again, it's been forever and I finally have weekends off so I'll be able to come out again!

Let me know =]
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Just wondering if we have confirmed the meeting spot yet? I'm all set for the weekend I'll be bringing Recca emulated on both my psp and ds for anyone that wishes to practice a bit on our way down.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I would like to come to Chicago. Will I need to buy a hotel room?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

mrtie wrote:Just wondering if we have confirmed the meeting spot yet? I'm all set for the weekend I'll be bringing Recca emulated on both my psp and ds for anyone that wishes to practice a bit on our way down.
:oops:

Sorry for very late reply…
anyways, zero.otaku and I came to conclusion that there is not sufficent parking at his place and have agreed to meet at my home between 8 and 9 am. I would hope to get on the road by 9.

I'm at work right now and been pressed for time as they got me doing the run around and doing cycle counts :roll: I'll send out some PMs and I can telephone those whom I have numbers for this evening if that is ok or feel free to call me at anytime - I'll have my telephone on the floor as well as when I'm at home playing DDPDOJBLEX :P

I apologize deeply for the delay in reply and hope this will work out for everyone! I am very excited for this weekend! We will have two cars driving which will seat a total of 8.

So far folks allocated to go are:

1. zero.otaku
2. mrtie
3. Sonic R
4. Triggerheart Excelica
5. Davey
6. Dale?

Ayanami will also be driving but he will be going to Milwaukee following the Chicago meet. He did mention he wouldn't mind having a passanger for the drive there :)
Davey

Post by Davey »

Works for me. No worries about the late reply.

Thanks in advance to whoever's driving! Right now the forecast says we'll have clear weather.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote:Works for me. No worries about the late reply.

Thanks in advance to whoever's driving! Right now the forecast says we'll have clear weather.
I am filled with embarrassment in the delay of information… :oops:

Its been a hectic week… and looking forward to relax this weekend with some good company and games playing :D

We have zero.otaku and my wife set to drive and Ayanami will also join us en route to Chicago.

If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding meeting up for caravan, please please call or PM me at any time - I am able to take calls at work but I'll be running about in the plant and away from PC most of the day…
DT

Post by DT »

Hey guys, I'm from Michigan too and I enjoy myself some shooters occasionally too. More into other games but I'd like to see what you guys play and have more exposure to shooters.

And if anyone likes Tekken, the better :P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

DT wrote:Hey guys, I'm from Michigan too and I enjoy myself some shooters occasionally too. More into other games but I'd like to see what you guys play and have more exposure to shooters.

And if anyone likes Tekken, the better :P
:D
Welcome!

Most of us also have a broad range of taste in games beyond shooters. Several of us also enjoy fight games suchs as Tekken, Soul Cal IV, SFIV, et cetera…

Many of us gather on the regular every other weekend and you are most welcome to join! If you have any questions, feel free to post and/or PM and we can get you squared.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Word from my friend Brandon is that Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor got a Border Down machine in!