gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

gaspower wrote:
superg wrote: Hi,

Well, as long as it's RGBS and composite - all the voltages should be standard. You shouldn't have a problem with PAL / NTSC either, both composite formats are supported. The one and only concern is how your system switches between composite / RGBS, if that's automatic you're good to go. You will have to supply your composite to SCART sync pin, that's where detection is performed and of course solder / buy composite -> SCART adapter.
I believe you understood it wrong, or it was me who didn't explain well.
When I put the car in reverse, I activate the camera, which is composite or CVBS.
Now, since the car system only works with Component or RGBs, I need to convert Composite to Component with a separate Sync.
And after that I have to "Inject" the signal to the TouchScreen.
That's why I asked about Voltages, if you have a board that when detects "HIGH", in this case reverse, auto switches to that channel and makes the signal convertion.

I hope that now I made a clear info about my needs.
Thank you.
Oh, now I got it. As you've said you need composite to RGBS converter but gscartsw isn't doing any conversion. Also the detection is based only on sync, no voltage stuff involved.
foxdagamer

Post by foxdagamer »

Hey superg,any idea on times for gscart lite completion and listing of them?
superg

Post by superg »

foxdagamer wrote:Hey superg,any idea on times for gscart lite completion and listing of them?
I just have to fix that remaining issue and it's gonna be ready for pre-order.
Another week or so, actually trying some things tonight.
foxdagamer

Post by foxdagamer »

Thanks for the update
superg

Post by superg »

superg wrote: Update: I found one more small issue which have to be fixed before mass production, this is related to Master System / Genesis, the ones which require sync stripper to be supported by XRGB-Mini, hope that will quickly be resolved.
It looks like everything is fixed!
Dlang1987

Post by Dlang1987 »

You are a God among men good sir!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Is it going to be possible to apply firmware updates should issues be discovered in the future? Something akin to how the firmwares for the NESRGB or N64RGB have been updated?
juji82

Post by juji82 »

superg wrote:
superg wrote: Update: I found one more small issue which have to be fixed before mass production, this is related to Master System / Genesis, the ones which require sync stripper to be supported by XRGB-Mini, hope that will quickly be resolved.
It looks like everything is fixed!
superg

Post by superg »

Guspaz wrote:Is it going to be possible to apply firmware updates should issues be discovered in the future? Something akin to how the firmwares for the NESRGB or N64RGB have been updated?
Yeah, Altera firmware is upgradeable but it's an unlikely event and requires byte blaster.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

Looking forward to the GscartLite
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

Question, what if we have more than 1 connection that the switch does not auto-detect? What are the solutions to this other than manually changing which scart cable is in input 1?

For example I have a Gamecube that I have component out going to a SCART passthrough adapter (just need to switch my monitor to component mode instead of RGB) that I would need to keep in input 1, but also I have PS2 over SCART RGB that when in 480p or 720p modes puts its sync on green instead of a seperate sync so that would also need to be on input 1 to auto-switch.

One solution that comes to mind would be to just use PS2 component cables and have the PS2 and Gamcube go to a gscompsw and then from a gscompsw to the component passthrough on gscart input 1.

Are there any other workarounds this issue though? am I missing something?

I guess superg did mention a theoretical SCART PS2 cable that would convert the RGsB to RGBS, but that does not exist yet.
superg

Post by superg »

mjs0686 wrote:Question, what if we have more than 1 connection that the switch does not auto-detect? What are the solutions to this other than manually changing which scart cable is in input 1?

For example I have a Gamecube that I have component out going to a SCART passthrough adapter (just need to switch my monitor to component mode instead of RGB) that I would need to keep in input 1, but also I have PS2 over SCART RGB that when in 480p or 720p modes puts its sync on green instead of a seperate sync so that would also need to be on input 1 to auto-switch.

One solution that comes to mind would be to just use PS2 component cables and have the PS2 and Gamcube go to a gscompsw and then from a gscompsw to the component passthrough on gscart input 1.

It's not gonna work, nothing will be detected. If you want to forward component it means that Y (Green) has to be connected to sync line in order to be detected by the switch. Now if you do that, you have to route switch SCART sync output back to Green line to be properly detected by your TV. I don't see how that can be properly automatically managed. Another thing to mention is that gscartsw_lite has no concept of fallback port, if there is no sync it's the end of story.
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

superg wrote:
mjs0686 wrote:Question, what if we have more than 1 connection that the switch does not auto-detect? What are the solutions to this other than manually changing which scart cable is in input 1?

It's not gonna work, nothing will be detected. If you want to forward component it means that Y (Green) has to be connected to sync line in order to be detected by the switch. Now if you do that, you have to route switch SCART sync output back to Green line to be properly detected by your TV. I don't see how that can be properly automatically managed. Another thing to mention is that gscartsw_lite has no concept of fallback port, if there is no sync it's the end of story.
Ah, so you mean on the gscartlite the input port 1 is not a default port? I may have to hold out for the regular gscartsw if that is so.
RaphM

Post by RaphM »

Just got a gscartsw a month ago, but the removed LPF + the sync regen are more than enough reasons for me to also get a lite as soon as they are available :).
superg

Post by superg »

mjs0686 wrote: Ah, so you mean on the gscartlite the input port 1 is not a default port? I may have to hold out for the regular gscartsw if that is so.
Yes, there is no default port in lite.
Actually even in gscartsw it wasn't intended to have it (it's input 8 btw, not input 1), it's just a design consequence.
The signal is useless without sync and I cannot make costly workaround in the switch just for one corner case (PS2 in vga mode).
Other approaches can be used to this problem, some of gscartsw owners use gcompsw with YUV2RGBS converter. Actually it doesn't have to be gcompsw, just any component switch.
Also I have a PS2 project in works which will fix PS2 VGA mode signal, I mentioned it here.
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

superg wrote:
mjs0686 wrote: Ah, so you mean on the gscartlite the input port 1 is not a default port? I may have to hold out for the regular gscartsw if that is so.
Yes, there is no default port in lite.
Actually even in gscartsw it wasn't intended to have it (it's input 8 btw, not input 1), it's just a design consequence.
The signal is useless without sync and I cannot make costly workaround in the switch just for one corner case (PS2 in vga mode).
Other approaches can be used to this problem, some of gscartsw owners use gcompsw with YUV2RGBS converter. Actually it doesn't have to be gcompsw, just any component switch.
Also I have a PS2 project in works which will fix PS2 VGA mode signal, I mentioned it here.
Thanks! Good call on the YUV2RGBS converter. I already have a gscompsw (love it by the way). So I guess I can use that workaround for the time being.
traal

Post by traal »

gaspower wrote:When I put the car in reverse, I activate the camera, which is composite or CVBS.
Now, since the car system only works with Component or RGBs
If you don't mind B&W, you could try plugging the camera's video cable (yellow) into the green component socket. But for color you will need a full video processor.
BobLoblaw972379

Post by BobLoblaw972379 »

Is there an updated estimate as to when preorders will start for the gscartsw_lite now that everything has been fixed?
superg

Post by superg »

BobLoblaw972379 wrote:Is there an updated estimate as to when preorders will start for the gscartsw_lite now that everything has been fixed?
I plan to open the pre-orders early next week, maybe on Monday. Need this weekend to finish the technical documentation.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

This is probably a dumbass question but I assume that I can chain my old gscart into the new lite and benefit from the improved sync and splitting ability for all inputs?
Mantis128

Post by Mantis128 »

With the GSwitchers would this setup work? 480P YPBPR into Gcomp into GCART into 480P CRT via D-Sub to BNC.
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:This is probably a dumbass question but I assume that I can chain my old gscart into the new lite and benefit from the improved sync and splitting ability for all inputs?
Yeah, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
Mantis128 wrote:With the GSwitchers would this setup work? 480P YPBPR into Gcomp into GCART into 480P CRT via D-Sub to BNC.
If you convert component to RGBS it should work.
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

Mantis128 wrote:With the GSwitchers would this setup work? 480P YPBPR into Gcomp into GCART into 480P CRT via D-Sub to BNC.
Superg can correct me if I'm wrong...

The gscart lite (the one that will be on pre-order next) does not have a d-sub out, it only has SCART output, the gscart lite only switches based on the sync input of each port and if you put one of those adapters (RCA component -> scart passthrough) into the gscart lite it won't detect it because the sync signal is included on the Y pin instead of separately on the sync pin such as when using regular RGBS SCART.

So for gscart lite you will need to first convert the YPBPR to RGBS first (with something like the Garo) and then put it into the switch.

Now with the regular gscart that has the d-sub (which is just a side issue, the output connector doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion) you could put the YPBPR into only one of the ports (port 8 I believe) with a pass through adapater and if nothing is detected on the other ports it passes that through to the output so it would work in that case only.

Hope that helps.
superg

Post by superg »

mjs0686 wrote:
Superg can correct me if I'm wrong...

The gscart lite (the one that will be on pre-order next) does not have a d-sub out, it only has SCART output, the gscart lite only switches based on the sync input of each port and if you put one of those adapters (RCA component -> scart passthrough) into the gscart lite it won't detect it because the sync signal is included on the Y pin instead of separately on the sync pin such as when using regular RGBS SCART.

So for gscart lite you will need to first convert the YPBPR to RGBS first (with something like the Garo) and then put it into the switch.

Now with the regular gscart that has the d-sub (which is just a side issue, the output connector doesn't matter for the sake of this discussion) you could put the YPBPR into only one of the ports (port 8 I believe) with a pass through adapater and if nothing is detected on the other ports it passes that through to the output so it would work in that case only.

Hope that helps.
Yes, that is correct.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Any news on the price of the lite yet?
superg

Post by superg »

lettuce wrote:Any news on the price of the lite yet?
Looks like it's gonna be $180 + shipping if I didn't forget anything, sorry didn't have the time to update gretrostuff.com
Mantis128

Post by Mantis128 »

superg wrote:
If you convert component to RGBS it should work.
What would be the best device for converting component? If I'm going to spend a huge amount of money on switchers I need it to be optimal.
CapGunOutlaw

Post by CapGunOutlaw »

Superg, I have been following this thread for awhile, and I will be purchasing one of these for sure. I do have one question. Will sync on luma work with the gscart lite? My N64 uses this and I wanted to make sure it will work. Thank you in advance!
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Mantis128 wrote:What would be the best device for converting component? If I'm going to spend a huge amount of money on switchers I need it to be optimal.
I like this one: https://www.beharbros.com/garo I actually show the setup you're referring to at 5:57 in this video: https://youtu.be/NDXvnQjb7L4?list=PLNG- ... IrLl&t=357
amb47uk

Post by amb47uk »

Hi superg,

Looking forward to the gscartlite. Quick question...

I have a the gscartsw3.4 running into a framemeister, but am now out of ports for my collection so looking to buy a lite.

Any drawbacks from daisy chaining the lite into the 3.4? and any recommended order before it goes to my framemeister?

Thanks in advance
Adam