NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Elixir

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by Elixir »

Van_Artic wrote:ok, i have a problem

i downloaded the 1.51 DLC for Daifukkatsu, but the game won't recognize it
when i look onto the memory settings, the file is like without an account, so it won't show up in the game

how do i fix this?
Try re-downloading the file from your account's history.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Elixir wrote:
Van_Artic wrote:ok, i have a problem

i downloaded the 1.51 DLC for Daifukkatsu, but the game won't recognize it
when i look onto the memory settings, the file is like without an account, so it won't show up in the game

how do i fix this?
Try re-downloading the file from your account's history.
Delete the file first!
bcass

Post by bcass »

Delete the file, clear your HDD cache then re-download it.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Has anyone tried downloading from the Chinese store? I see that a few games like Otomedius and Shooting Love 200X are available as Games on Demand titles, but I can't download them unless I either add points, or add my credit card.

Apparently I can't add a card unless the dashboard is under the language of Chinese. It actually popped up, asking me to change the system's dashboard language before adding a card. Weird.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Interesting. So China has it's own points cards? I'll bet the games and the cards are dirt cheap. Game prices are already significantly cheaper on the Asian store than on the Western stores.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

There are Asian points and Japanese points (both available at Play-Asia, see my OP for more). I don't have any though, and I'd rather not buy some just to experiment.

It's weird, even a bunch of Japanese RPGs have English descriptions, and they're even available on Games on Demand, despite being completely in Japanese.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Yeah, I know about the points cards, I've bought GoD titles from those regions using points cards from the JPN and Asian stores. The JPN shmups that are on the Asian marketplace are cheaper than the JPN marketplace so I usually buy from there instead.
Etrian

Post by Etrian »

Lemme see if I have this straight...

If you download games to your console, you can play them on all accounts across that console, but if you transfer licenses to another console, it's only possible to play on the name which purchased the game? Why?
bcass

Post by bcass »

That's incorrect. If you transfer your licenses to the new console, anyone signed in to that console can play your downloaded games.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Actually, that gives me an idea. Sort of.

If somebody logged into your account in Japan, downloaded a Games on Demand title, then you proceeded to license transfer to your own console, would the console acquire the rights to the GoD title and allow you to download it while being outside of Japan?

Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It works.

I recently acquired another console with Japanese Games on Demand games. Copying them to a memory stick and attempting to play them didn't work, but that's because they're still attached to the original console's license.

I did the license transfer to my own console and I'm currently downloading Japanese Games on Demand titles despite not being in Japan. Thing is, you can only license transfer once every year.

Also, fun thing to note, I already had Otomedius installed from my retail version, but when I attempted to download the GoD title, "Play Now" was available, and I didn't have to re-download.

bcass

Post by bcass »

You don't have to do the once-per-year license transfer to transfer the rights for individual games, you can do it by simply going to the marketplace and selecting the Download Again option. This will only download the license to the new console, not the full game.
Elixir wrote:I did the license transfer to my own console and I'm currently downloading Japanese Games on Demand titles despite not being in Japan. Thing is, you can only license transfer once every year.
You're downloading GoD games? Do you mean that you're redownloading games previously purchased on the Japan console (and originally purchased in Japan)? This was one previously unanswered question back when we were discussing this last year. It was unknown if the IP-check occures when you redownload.
Elixir wrote:Also, fun thing to note, I already had Otomedius installed from my retail version, but when I attempted to download the GoD title, "Play Now" was available, and I didn't have to re-download.
Did you have the game disc in the DVD drive? Are you able to select/play the game from the Game Library with no disc in the tray?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It's like this...

I transferred the license of an account which purchased a few Games on Demand titles while in Japan. I'm able to download the games again, but only play them on the gamertag that purchased them, not on my own gamertag or any other gamertag. If I attempt to run them on my own gamertag, it says "Can't run <game>.", or, the game will briefly appear in the Game Library before disappearing, and I can't select it.

Thankfully all the DLC still works on the original console, but I was really hoping that I could play these games with my own gamertag, and not have to rely on using the original account.

bcass

Post by bcass »

So when you did the redownload outside Japan, there was no IP check? Could be useful for people wanting JPN GoD titles who don't want to use a proxy. Actually, the only real way to test it would be to delete a game then try to redownload, otherwise it will only redownload the license, not the full game.

Another possible option would be to get a friend/contact to buy the game in Japan using your gamertag, get them to transfer the game onto USB stick and upload the contents to somewhere like megaupload (as the USB data can be read onto a PC). Then the person outside Japan could transfer the data back onto a USB stick and onto the console HDD.

Could you double check that Otomedius wasn't in fact using the DVD when you selected the Play Now option on the download page? That would be a really useful feature as I always own the retail version prior to buying the GoD release and it would save me having to download titles via proxy.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

According to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home, the licenses for the account and the licenses for my own gamertag match the same console. Still, I can't play these games on my gamertag, only the gamertag that bought them.

Otomedius was not in the tray.

bcass

Post by bcass »

That's weird, because when I transferred all the games from my old 120GB HDD onto my 250GB HDD, all the games were still playable from any other account, even games that had been purchased on my old PAL console.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Yeah I don't know but I'm pretty sure that's not normal.

Anyway I just downloaded Mamoru-kun from the account's history, it downloaded, took almost 3 hours, got to 100% and then said it couldn't download. The only other thing I can think of is to transfer the data via USB from the original console to mine, log into the game via the account which purchased it, then log out and switch gamertags while in-game. Else I'm out of ideas.

I'm really confused right now.

Elixir

Post by Elixir »

bcass wrote:That's weird, because when I transferred all the games from my old 120GB HDD onto my 250GB HDD, all the games were still playable from any other account, even games that had been purchased on my old PAL console.
Etrian wasn't wrong dude. You are.

If you transfer data between HDDs on a single account, that's fine.

If you transfer licenses to another console, only the purchaser's account can be used for that content. DLC is shared across accounts, but only for the console that it was originally downloaded on.

Another good example is this: I bought Castlevania SOTN on my original account, way back in early 2007. When I bought a Japanese 360, I couldn't use it on any gamertags besides that one.

So basically, license transferring between consoles is actually bad, since it restricts (for some reason) the downloaded content to the original accounts they were purchased from. Though if you just use a single gamertag and buy absolutely everything through that, none of this really matters.

Guess I'll update the thread while I'm here:

- I have a currently in-use HDD. Can I use it with a Japanese 360?

Yes, but you would need to use the Xbox 360 license migration tool. Note: If you transfer (game) licenses to another console, only the purchaser's account can be used for that content. DLC is shared across accounts only on the console it was originally purchased on.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Can't you just get round it by logging the player who the content was purchased with in on the 2nd controller?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Doesn't work. I just tried logging into Castlevania SOTN on the account which purchased it (a game of which I purchased from a previous console, and license transferred to this one), logged out, logged in with another gamertag. The game claimed to be a trial when I attempted to start the game.

If I log into a second controller, I can't proceed. The game doesn't show up on that profile's achievement list.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Have you tried it both ways round?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

So, like, signing into the game with an account that didn't purchase it, then signing in with the account that did?

I know this doesn't work for GoD (they say "Can't run <game>." or disappear from the Game Library) titles. I don't see why it would for XBLA.

bcass

Post by bcass »

By both ways, I mean this:

1. Sign the rights holder in as player 1, non rights owner in as player 2.

OR

2. Sign the non rights owner in as player 1, sign the rights holder in as player 2.

Might have to sign both gamertags in at the dash before loading any games.
bcass

Post by bcass »

OK, I just tried it with an XBLA game that I first bought on my original PAL console (that I no longer own) and the above method worked (both ways) for both gamertags (my UK gamertag that I originally purchased the game with on my old console) and my JPN gamertag). Can't see why it wouldn't also work with Indie Games and/or GoD titles. The important bit is signing both players in at the dash first.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

bcass wrote:By both ways, I mean this:

1. Sign the rights holder in as player 1, non rights owner in as player 2.
This actually did work. I signed both accounts into the dashboard, but I had to sign the rights holder's account in first, or else Castlevania sOTN would display as an "Arcade Trial".

I started the game with the rights holder's controller, then proceeded to play with the second profile. The game appeared in my non-rights owners gamertag's achievement list.

Still requires both accounts though. GoD might work, but I'll have to transfer them via USB, since downloading them directly from Download History shows up corrupted (as tested).

bcass

Post by bcass »

It's a mild hassle having to sign two players in, but at least the work-around exists to allow you to play on your main account (which for many isn't likely to be the JPN gamertag they purchase DLC with).

The corrupted message means that the IP check failed at the end of the download, which indicates to me that the IP check does indeed take place if you attempt to redownload GoD titles. I've had it happen to me sometimes when downloading GoD titles from the JPN store, the reason being that my proxy had stopped working for some reason and had defaulted back to a UK IP address.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

This is really weird.

OK, so instead of transferring all of the GoD titles from the original console's HDD to USB to this console's HDD again, I simply took the HDD from the other console and shoved it into my own.

I put my own gamertag, and the GoD owner's on the same USB stick. I signed in with the owner first, then with my own, and was able to boot the GoD title. If I sign in as my own gamertag, it says "Can't load <game>.", so it absolutely must have the owner's gamertag signed in first.

So, yeah, I guess I've just figured out that non-owner accounts can access XBLA and GoD titles, simply by having the owner logged in first. It still doesn't help getting Japanese GoD titles, but if you already have them, at least you can play them on your original or other gamertags this way.

Now, if only I knew how to use Japanese proxies...

bcass

Post by bcass »

Elixir wrote:So, yeah, I guess I've just figured out that non-owner accounts can access XBLA and GoD titles, simply by having the owner logged in first.
You didn't quite figure it out, because as I just told you in a previous post, I tried it both ways round with an XBLA title, and it worked both ways. So, at least for XBLA titles, you don't have to have the owner signed in first, you only need them to be signed in.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Elixir wrote:This is really weird.

OK, so instead of transferring all of the GoD titles from the original console's HDD to USB to this console's HDD again, I simply took the HDD from the other console and shoved it into my own.

I put my own gamertag, and the GoD owner's on the same USB stick. I signed in with the owner first, then with my own, and was able to boot the GoD title. If I sign in as my own gamertag, it says "Can't load <game>.", so it absolutely must have the owner's gamertag signed in first.

So, yeah, I guess I've just figured out that non-owner accounts can access XBLA and GoD titles, simply by having the owner logged in first. It still doesn't help getting Japanese GoD titles, but if you already have them, at least you can play them on your original or other gamertags this way.

Now, if only I knew how to use Japanese proxies...
If someone can find me someone in Japan who I can set up a VPN with, this wouldn't be a problem at all. I could easily set something up to let people purchase GoD content over the internet, in a way that is easy for people to deal with. (Would require a laptop and some mild setup, which is easy enough)

The problem is finding the person willing to host this.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Setting up a proxy is easier than setting up a VPN and only requires one person/one computer.