Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Just about as fun as watching disturbingly detailed giant blue nipples on a Wii can be.
Davey

Post by Davey »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we achieved the highest nipple-to-shmupping ratio of any shmupmeet ever.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for making it out!
Hope everyone have fun times and will see you next!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Great fun guys, Lemar was a little embarrassed to play any shmups because he says he's not very good.

What is the the name of that emulator that run's games faster then the arcade original?

And one more thing:
By daleaaa2
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Dale wrote:Great fun guys, Lemar was a little embarrassed to play any shmups because he says he's not very good.
It's not like any of us are the World's Greatest Shmup Player.
Dale wrote:What is the the name of that emulator that run's games faster then the arcade original?
Raine. It might be a little misleading to say it's faster, though. It pretends the original hardware was better than it really was, so games run at full speed at times when the PCB would bog down. It's pretty noticeable in Cave games because MAME tries to match the slowdown in original hardware. I think it emulates a bunch of Taito and Capcom games; I don't know how much those are affected by hardware slowdown.

EDIT: And if you haven't already, try out Saboten Bombers.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Saboten Bombers is really awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Dale wrote:Great fun guys, Lemar was a little embarrassed to play any shmups because he says he's not very good.
Glad everyone is have a great time :D

There should never be any embarrassment, only fun! LOL I am not very good but I enjoy to play among friends and is always good times!

I've got Otomedius for the 360 en route to my home right now (is in Chicago right now as i am typing this…) This is as close as we will get to a Gradius game for now. Check it out next time guys :wink:
quizknows

Post by quizknows »

Hey, just thought I'd jump in and say hi. I live in Lansing and have a decent collection of hardware (arcade sticks, DC on VGA, Saturn, PS2, MAME, etc) and software. If anyone's in the lansing area, post up or shoot me a PM. I Wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellas down river some time either.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

quizknows wrote:Hey, just thought I'd jump in and say hi. I live in Lansing and have a decent collection of hardware (arcade sticks, DC on VGA, Saturn, PS2, MAME, etc) and software. If anyone's in the lansing area, post up or shoot me a PM. I Wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellas down river some time either.
Several of us had made a few trips to Lansing to a games shop before.

Anytime you are in the Metropolitian area, please feel free to get in touch with any of us :D

And Welcome!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Plan on gettin' together anytime soon?

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I'm kind of back. Kind of.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I think we are getting together tonight. Unless people already have Holiday obligations tonight. I am down for whatever.
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

Hey Ayanami. I dont know if Sonic talked to you yet but we are having issues with the kitchen sink so we are trying to figure out what to do right now. He has to fix it and thats going to take a few hours then I got rush to get all the dirty dishes :oops: done. We might just have to meet up later like 8ish or 9ish depending on how long it takes him to get back here and get cracking replacing the darn pipe.
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I just got a hold of Sonic and he was talking about coming over to my place. I am cool with hosting. Might have to bring my TV downstairs to the basement for more room though.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

:?:
Any ideas for anything? Large scale, small scale? 2009 is upon us and was just curious if anyone had anything in mind…

I am flexable right now til the end of January as I am without work.

:idea:
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am down for something this weekend. What ever that may be.
Davey

Post by Davey »

I might be going to Cleveland one weekend in January; I'm not sure when or if I'm going at all. That aside, I'd be down for whenever.

Who here has arcade sticks for Xbox360 (I know Sonic does, at least)? My Japanese console should be arriving here any day now, so I'd like to try out as many as I can before buying one.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Sonic has the Dead or Alive one if am not mistaken while I have just a plain hori. I want to say they are identical but I could be wrong.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Yup, both Ayanami and mine are the same stick, just with different artwork. Its a serviceable stick - heck ANYTHING is better than the garbage dpad.

Sonic R

Ayanami

Only other sticks available right now are the Otomedius stick, of which is ridiculously expensive:

(picture is property of Kiken)

and a Hori Real Arcade EX stick, I believe its about $200 + shipping from overseas…

BUT

There is another alternative coming soon for us in the USA,

disclaimer — DO NOT be put off by the brand as this looks to be a quality product made with Sanwa stick and buttons and with input from the arcade stick community.

Mad Catz will be releasing a Street Fighter IV stick for the price of $149.00 (+plus tax)

there is a pre-order thread in the trading section for these sticks as well as some informations on it…

Gamestop will also be selling these as well: Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition FightStick

Mad Catz will also be offering a 6 button style controller as well…

I will be getting both of these when they are released.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Some of those are pretty pricey ($200!). I noticed that Arcade-In-A-Box sells custom sticks starting at $149. I e-mailed them and they said that they have some Seimitsu LS-32 sticks. I couldn't find any threads here about them, so I was thinking about posting something in the Hardware section to see if these are any good or not. In any case they look a tad on the huge side.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

I want to do something today for sure. I didn't make it out last time and the only game system I have access to here is my DS, which was actually entertaining me quite a bit with Advance Wars 2 and Order of Ecclessia until the fucking battery died and - guess what! - I don't have a charger and my brothers all have DS Lites! Awesome! So yeah, let's hang for sure.

Oh, btw, that Garfield Minus Garfield shit is hilarious and horrifying at the same time.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Happy Belated holidays guys. I'd totally like to come down sometime in the future and hang out again, I've got my Hands on a pcb copy of Ibara and strikers 1945 II so I could lug my supergun down there the next time something is going on. I do however still suck, esp at Ibara.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

How much did the Ibara cost you? I have been thinking about a super gun, and that is one of the first boards I would get.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Strikers II cost me $32!!!
Ibara was $200 + shipping, which isn't great but decent.
I'm talking with guy about a RFJ with marquee for $140 atm.

Also if you want to save some dough on the supergun I could do a write on building, it's very cheap and if you are not looking for aesthetics can be done very easily even for a electronic noobie.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

mrtie wrote: Also if you want to save some dough on the supergun I could do a write on building, it's very cheap and if you are not looking for aesthetics can be done very easily even for a electronic noobie.
Show us the way next time you come down!

I am thinking of getting a cabinet, but may go with a supergun to hold me over…

I really want Pink Sweets!
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

The discussion we had last time got me thinking: maybe we should bring a bunch of anime one time, particularly all that old-school shit we were talking about, and just watch it until like four in the morning or whatever. I don't know which of you guys are fans but I think that would be sweet. M.D. Geist? Vampire Hunter D? Plastic Little? Venus fucking Wars? You know you want it.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

zero.otaku wrote:The discussion we had last time got me thinking: maybe we should bring a bunch of anime one time, particularly all that old-school shit we were talking about, and just watch it until like four in the morning or whatever. I don't know which of you guys are fans but I think that would be sweet. M.D. Geist? Vampire Hunter D? Plastic Little? Venus fucking Wars? You know you want it.
I'll watch anything...
I can support any format - DVD, Blu-ray, as well as old fashioned VHS :lol:

And in other news, I'm having a difficult time to locate Killer 7 for the Gamecube :( I really want to give this game a try...
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Sonic R wrote: And in other news, I'm having a difficult time to locate Killer 7 for the Gamecube :( I really want to give this game a try...
I have a copy for the GC you can borrow if you want. I keep meaning to finish it (i got like 2 missions in) but with so much other stuff to take up my time (Persona 4, FF XII, at least 3 games on my Wii, and dare I say it, playing SHMUPs) I wouldn't miss it for a few weeks/months.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

zero.otaku wrote:Venus fucking Wars? You know you want it.
Dude, do you have this? I have always wanted to see it. I remember seeing clips of this back in the day on the whole preview slide they had for I think it was US Manga Corps.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, in addition to being totally awesome, has made me really want to see some of these old 70s shows that Tatsunoko did. From what I've seen of Yatterman, that show is fantastic!
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

@Ayanami: Unfortunately I do not have the Venus Wars, but it is freaking awesome and we should rent it or something.

@uber: Did that come out for a console already? If so, next time you come over you have to bring it 'cause I keep hearing it's good from people that actually know how to play fighters so I'd like to check it out.

As far as '70s anime, it's not really my area of expertise outside some stuff like the original Gundam which is totally badass and amazingly ahead of its time. I'm more into late '80s to late '90s shit but I'm totally open to anything.

So yeah, when the fuck are we gonna get together? I know the weather's been shitty but I really feel like it's time for another dorkfest.